Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
I co-host a podcast that I know some on here are aware of called Smart Wrestling Fan. I promise you it's not as smarky as it sounds! It was actually the first wrestling podcast on iTunes too, I believe, we've been doing weekly shows for almost 6 years now.

Please don't hate me for plugging my own show but I loved it when I was just a listener and then I became a co-host and I'd like to think that it's still good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Chilly McFreeze posted:

bring back Watching

We had the exciting conclusion already though!! Find me another fan fiction that horribly written and I'll consider it, though.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
You want famous people? Uhh... well... Dave Prazak listens to Smart Wrestling Fan and is in our live Stickam chat during the show sometimes!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

ChampRamp posted:

I listen to SWF anyway, but the problem with the show is actually Joe's sources. Where in the blue hell does he find them? The dirtsheets are sites like Wrestling Observer and PWInsider, not NoDQ or wherever he finds them. Meltzer is much more accurate than the free sites.

No idea, but I think we're pretty discerning about sources and stuff. Most of our news is reported in the "news bits and rumours/news bits and lies" category.

Although, if you want to talk about sources, one of our listeners who works at the arena in Oakland where Raw was last night apparently found a shredded piece of paper with the WM card on it and we're gonna look at it tonight. So that could be interesting!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Congrats on getting the scoop dshban. Sorry that it was confirmed on such a terrible raw.

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
If anyone ever had any interest in checking out my podcast Smart Wrestling Fan, I'd say do so now, because we did our 300th episode this week and it's probably my favourite. A song about HHH/Taker at WM, a radio play of The Chaperone, one of the co-hosts being incredibly drunk... 3 and a half hours of nonsense, and also wrestling chat.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Oh so Larry was his normal self? I liked the HHH/Taker song.

Exactly, and thanks. Someone just made a video of it.

Lamuella posted:

Things I liked: almost all of it, the secret co-host show at the end
Things I didn't like: you singing that loving Friday song. May you burn in hell.

Fun Fun Fun Fun

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
We spoke to Dave Prazak today on Smart Wrestling Fan about Honor Takes Center Stage. I'm obviously biased as the interviewer there but I think it was worth a listen!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Lamuella posted:

I know dshban pops by this thread occasionally, so I just wanted to say that Smart Pokemon Fan was pretty loving hilarious.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

CoronaLargesse posted:

The link to Smart Pokemon Fan no longer works. :(

http://www.mediafire.com/?yqxdhlu3ocjj80x

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

BizarroAzrael posted:

Listening to what I think is a particularly strong episode of Smart Wrestling Star Wars Holiday Special Fan right now. Well done to Dshban and Other Dshban on the Josh Mathews Comment of the Week jingle.

Cheers. Did you like the TNA Holiday Special bit? It seems to be about 50/50 with people either hating it (because it was boring and went forever) or loving it (because it was Kaufman-like anti-comedy).

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Hey dhsban thanks for the super long SWF today it hepled me get through a really painful root canal.

Was it caused by listening to Larry HO HO HO

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
If anyone's interested, Smart Wrestling Fan has its sixth anniversary show tonight. We'll be on stickam.com/joenegron in about 15 minutes but never start on time. Join in on the fun and excitement and things!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Lamuella posted:

sorry I missed it. I'll catch the podcast.

Cheers. I think some of our finest work can be found in the pre-Raw segments of "Wrestling PPV or Adult Film?" and the radio play of Chyna's sex tape.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Chilly McFreeze posted:

The only good game is "What would Kharma's kid be named if this person was the father".

Eugh, so many puns

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Dshban the Teddy Long Tag Team Match Siren may be the best thing I've ever heard.

:allears: Why thankyou.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Ragnarok the Red posted:

So about a week ago I finally upgraded to a touchscreen phone with unlimited text & data so I could listen to podcasts at work to make the day pass faster.

I just listened to the most recent one with Cabana & Lethal, any other notable Colt podcasts I should listen to among the 48 others he'd done? And what other FREE podcasts would worth a listen too (don't feel like subbing to Observer at the moment)?

Smart Wrestling Fan just released a new episode, check them out. With such features as 'Adult Film, Wrestling Show or Both' and 'A Review of Shawn Michaels' Shoot To Kill Variety Half-Hour', who could resist? Plus, hear audio of their handsome and wonderful Australian co-host asking Michael McGillicutty about his season 2 of NXT Finale promo!

(Note: this is my podcast and this is a plug for it)

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

BizarroAzrael posted:

What, like Abyss's teeth?

And by the way.

Those teeth?

THEY WERE DELICIOUS

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dshban, the Teddy Long Straight Up Tag Team Match Siren is the greatest thing ever and Smart Wrestling Fan is even more my favorite podcast because of it.

I'm just so disappointed he hasn't booked one in ages. Once he finally does again, it'll be even better.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
To be fair an hour or so of that is TNA during which I get lunch.

But last week was one of our longer shows, MITB and Raw gave us a lot to talk about, plus we read pretty much every email we get (so you can skip those bits if you want, they do get repetitive).

When Larry's on the show, the show goes 4+ hours for some reason. Probably because he's always drunk.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You can skip the e-mail segments most of the time, you will miss some funny stuff, but a lot of it is stuff that was already mentioned earlier in the review segments.

"Dear Smart Wrestling Fan,

What did you guys think about CM Punk's promo on Raw?

Sincerely,
Guy Who's A loving Idiot"

Since these are the only emails we don't read, we take quite a while. We try not to go over old ground too much.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

gibsonisacripple posted:

Everything else is pretty poor IMO.

Aww.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Sorry to wade it uneducated, but I downloaded a load of random podcasts to listen at work and the Smart Wrestling Fan podcast from last week was quite enjoyable. I also enjoy Live Audio Wrestling recapping old pay-per-views. Will be downloading these again.

That is all.

Yay, thanks!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

I really enjoyed the show. At first I was put off by the length of it but the reviewing of the WWE shows and storylines was educated and pleasant. Nice touches of fantasy booking and opinion, I'm downloading this week's as we speak.

P.S. I absolutely HOWLED about the guy hold some sort of seance with a ouija board for dead wrestlers, only to have Vince Snr no show as he was too busy spinning in his grave and Eddie shouting "It was Chavo!" The looks I got in my office, complete with me then awkwardly having to explain exactly what it was that caused me to laugh.

That's the idea! We try to be, like PSP, that place where people aren't going "GOD drat IT PAUL'S GONNA HOLD DOWN THE ROSTER AGAIN".

Yeah, we've got some awesome emailers. We've had several people email in claiming they've almost driven off the road or into oncoming traffic while listening to the show. This is probably not a good thing but whatever.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dshban, I really enjoy SWF, but god loving dammit, get Baddie a loving hooked on phonics program, because it is getting extremely annoying to listen to him read e-mails like a 4th grader. He stumbles over every goddamn word and has trouble pronouncing simple things. I understand a lot of the emails have bad grammar in them, so loving preread them. Its to the point I simply turn the volume down as soon as he starts to read anything. Larry does the same thing, but he is drunk so at least he has an excuse.

He's gotten better though! I made fun of him one time for his stilted reading and he pretended to turn heel or something for a week and now at least reads at a good pace.

But yeah I know this is a problem. I try to remedy this by correcting him but then I get told off for doing so.

I'll bring it up the next time I'm on the show with him before we record, asking us all to pre-read while the previous person is reading.

dshban fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 18, 2011

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

I've been unable to download the new SWF at all. Can't even get onto podbean, just sits there loading forever. Not even itunes can download it.

I've heard this from a few people. Just keep trying? Or email joe at joe@smartwrestlingfan.com.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I just realized how angry I sounded there, sorry, I was listening on my way home from a bad day at work and was a bit too harsh. But yeah its an issue and annoying, thanks for the response.

Don't worry, I totally just called in via Skype complaining about it too. Always bothers me when I can't just interrupt him constantly, haha.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

SWF read out my smarky pro-Punk email. Made my afternoon at work and I name dropped the PSP :)

You did! They of course didn't get it but still.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Fun episode this week of Smart Wrestling Fan.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
We spent the majority of the first half of this week's Smart Wrestling Fan discussing how much we hate Matt Hardy, and who out of him and Jeff will kill themselves first.

Then the video was uploaded to Matt's account. Seriously. Just after we'd finished hating on him for 2 hours.

Suffice to say we continued to make jokes about it.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
The best part of last night's Smart Wrestling Fan was apparently too rude for Joe to keep it in the PG podcast. So, if anyone wanted to hear my live review of Ricardo Rodriguez's adult film debut, it can be found here.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Lamuella posted:

the girls in that film were nothing but jobbers.

...I'll get me coat.

Terrific.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
If anyone wanted to check out some of the funniest stuff I think we've done in a while on Smart Wrestling Fan, someone's uploaded audio of us reading an awful fan fiction story about the Boogeyman to YouTube. Chapter 1 can be found here. I'm the funnily accented one!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

One thing about your podcast: stop with the stupid nickname poo poo. It wastes a lot of time, is not funny and your podcast is very long already. Just my opinion! I'd rather hear the teddy long tagteam clip

You mean us giving other people nicknames? I'm totally with you, I told everyone to stop that last week.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
We had a fan right up the front for the NXT/Smackdown tapings from this past week:

Plus some nice "EXTRA EXTRA 5 PEOPLE FOOLED" and "WADE SLAM" ones on Smackdown which I don't have pictures of.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Very good Smart Wrestling Fan this week I thought, lots of in-depth discussion of Rock/Cena which I really enjoyed being apart of. Question though, are any of the SWF listeners on here subscribers to Extra? What would get you to subscribe if you're not/what's your favourite part if you are?

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

I've started listening to SWF more regularly and I'm really enjoying it, but not too sure about plonking down for extra when I pretty much just want the podcast for work.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Extra just the ability to grab those fan made songs and some extra pre-and-post-podcast chat to listen to?

Those are the main things, but then you get things like what we just uploaded (which I guess counts as post-podcast chat) which was a 100+ minute discussion between Larry, Baddie and myself of just about anything - there's also a 3-hour one between just Larry and I in the archives - plus a 50+ minute review/discussion of the HBK/Bret rivalry DVD between Larry and I. Also back episodes and news updates from Joe every few days.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Poor dshban :(

:(

To be fair, this thread would die if it wasn't 90% WO/F4W.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

Observer aside, I signed up for SWF Extra since I've been listening to it every week for a while now. I don't have a massive commute but plenty of time at my desk and the 4-5 hour shows will last me that time, usually.

But dshban, where's the Booker T song? I need that on Extra since it gets stuck in my head every week :argh:

It's not up there? Huh. I just checked, you're right. I'll ask Joe.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

Thanks man!

Apparently apl.de.ap will sue us personally if we put it up :(

Although I can give you this entirely unrelated link, with bonus "this is actually how Larry spelled the file" fun: http://www.mediafire.com/?2aiu1e36c0wir6c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

Thanks!

But who/what the hell is apl.de.ap?

Only the best part of the Black Eyed Peas.

It's an I'mma Be parody

• Locked thread