Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The more I listen to Formerly Creative the more it makes me wonder why the top two or three people in WWE are wanting to sabotage their own business. Some of the ways they do things are mindblowingly bad and they are slowly driving the entire company into the ground by rejecting anything new or creative of any actual quality.

That and stuff like Akileese mentioned above - writers are not allowed to interact with talent and many other really stupid decisions.

Edit: Also that the writers never actually see the shows :psyduck:

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

In podcast number 3 (Jensen Karp) they mention that Vince once went on a one hour speech about how Wild Hogs was his favorite movie. I think that's really telling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Akileese posted:

I still think eventually someone is going to realize that the system is broken and pull the trigger on some huge changes. I have no insight as to what those changes are and how theyd come about though.

That's the thing though - in those situations the very same people that were so desperately clinging onto their 'spot' in the company end up being sent packing anyway due to re-organizations and house cleanings because things are going so badly and business is down. The sad part is all the quality talent and careers that are lost along the way before its finally realized who the problematic people are.

Then again this is WWE so they'll probably fire everyone except the people causing the problems.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The latest Formerly Creative mentioned that the host thinks what it is nowadays is that Vince is just bored and gets a kick out of tearing people down and seeing how they'll react to it and is basically playing a game for his amusement with the company now instead of focusing on the end result of the product that ends up on television.

With the way any good ideas are immediately squashed and how they seem to love pushing a guy only to knock them back down the card I wouldn't say its out of the question.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There's testing a guy to see how well he does under pressure and then there's killing careers and squashing money making ideas just because you want to see how someone will react. Vince seems to be taking it to an extreme just for his own amusement.

Every former creative member that the host has had on thus far has mentioned many of the same things. Good ideas are likely to get squashed if they didn't come directly from Vince or Stephanie. No matter how much effort they put into writing something it usually changes on the day and is whatever Vince feels like seeing on television that day and that's why things are so much the same all the time. People blame creative for things being poorly written but their ideas rarely get through in the first place. He's had like five members of creative on his show thus far and they've all mentioned the same things consistently. Maybe fans have been directing their anger at the wrong people for the last few years judging by what actually goes on backstage and with the agendas that a few select people seem to have.

Who knows. What I do know is that I personally place less blame on 'creative' nowadays and more on Vince for what seems to be his obsession with running his own company into the ground because he's an out-of-touch old man who enjoys backstage games and his own amusement more than putting on a quality product and turning things around.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 3, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

For some reason I always thought that Dave Meltzer was the higher pitched guy and Alvarez was the deeper voice in that podcast until I saw some youtube video labeled "Bryan Alvarez" and it was the guy with the higher voice.

No idea why I got them mixed up though. Alvarez seems like more of a natural host than Dave I guess.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CSammich posted:

I haven't listened in a long time (like, a very long time - 10 years or so) but it used to seem like Alvarez was the host, reading listener questions and driving the conversation, while Meltzer answered the questions and dropped knowledge.

Yeah, that's probably the main reason I got the two mixed up. I figured Meltzer being the man behind all the inside info would be the one driving the conversations and hosting the shows he's on (mainly because of how much people talk about him being the best source for pretty much anything information-wise) and it surprised me when I found out he was the quieter one of the two. I really enjoy their shows, though.

MassRayPer posted:

In the Wrestling Observer Live on eyada days Dave was definitely the host and carried the show while Bryan piped in with an amusing comment or question. During the first few months Bryan barely talked at all. Their roles were pretty much the opposite of what they are now.

I've only heard the free shows from the last year or so. I like Bryan as the host though - he seems to put far more emotion into his commentary.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I really think the best thing about "Formerly Creative" are the little things mentioned that give us insight into the weird eccentricity of Vince McMahon. Like him only eating medium rare steak wraps with ketchup or how scared everyone was when Vince learned how to text message.

It makes me really want Meltzer to put out the Vince Bio that he has saved for after his death.

I'd love to read an entire book just comprised of eccentric poo poo that Vince McMahon does and the things he does to torture his employees, honestly. He just sounds really bizarre on a daily basis and its hilarious how much people are frightened of him.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

According to the latest Formerly Creative the segment where The Nexus threw Bret into the limo and then the driver drunkenly drove around the garage smashing into random cars was completely handled by Vince himself. That explains a lot.

Edit: They also said that CM Punk legit doesn't like anyone.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 11, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

Yeah, after listening to Formerly Creative my views and opinions are changing quite a bit about a lot of things.

Writers are seemingly only there to make the company seem more like a legit television operation and to take the heat for Vince's bad ideas so that he'll have a constantly refreshing group of people to yell at, break down and fire is what I got from it. Vince is a grumpy old manchild that enjoys the games that play out in his own mind while damaging his own company and putting on a lovely television product.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I don't think that's correct.

Because it was a joke?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lagana put up the Formerly Creative podcasts for post-WM with a few ex-writers and the one with just Lagana and Big Dick Johnson.

Was gonna post about this anyway so I'll just leave the link since I was beaten, haha.

Formerly Creative with Big Dick Johnson

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm just now listening to the latest "I Want Wrestling" podcast and Kevin Kelly has another crazy Vince story.

During a Smackdown taping, Vince sharted and filled his pants as he was going out to do a promo. The promo goes off without a hitch, and he comes back through the Gorilla position and says, "HAHA GODDAMN, I JUST poo poo MY PANTS". Kelly says next thing he knows, Vince has changed is clothes and has his lovely underwear on a stick chasing Gerald Brisco around backstage trying to make him vomit.

Triple H told him later that Vince said that the poo poo burned and now he knows why babies cry when they poo poo themselves.

People should remember this story and the story where Drozdov had to call his mom and pretend to be excited about being named "Puke" and having his entire career based around a gimmick where he threw up on people when they get angry about Vince making a stupid decision when it comes to how he runs his company.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Doesn't Christopher Daniels have the dark angel thing already anyway? Or fallen angel or some sounds-cool-in-junior-high type poo poo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Guess we can add "If we can just stop the spoilers" to the list of ways TNA is gonna turn itself around.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Didn't he make a statement when he left saying that he asked them if they had any plans for him to which they said no so he asked for his release? Why is he changing his story now?

Whenever I hear his voice it reminds me of the guy who sang 'chocolate rain'.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 2, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

He himself never said that, that's just what was reported.

drat. Internet wrestling journalism strikes again!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Holy gently caress. Aerostar. :stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM488qXX2U0

Like, three callers asked about him on the Konnan show, so I decided to look up some clips.

Again, holy gently caress, Aerostar.

Jesus that trust fall style move he does without looking has to be terrifying every time he does it. You just have to pray there is a dude there to catch you in the right position.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Good first show! Weekly font sounds sorta like The Miz and is enjoyable to listen to as a host. Well done.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

No need to insult the man.

Hey now, The Miz is great during interviews. I'm not talking Smackdown Host era Miz.

The portion of the show talking about Styles at MSW was great.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 17, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

The WWE stuff was hard because the product is so dead right now.

It really does seem that way. Even here in PSP you can tell that people are trying to come up with things to talk about in discussion threads because nothing really worth talking about is happening at all in WWE. It seems strangely slow around here lately.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

http://iwantwrestling.com/2011/06/29/formerly-creative-cm-punk/

Lagana and some former creative members discuss the CM Punk promo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Listening to old Wrestling Observer Radios from 2008-2009 are so depressing. They bitch about the same exact things they are bitching about in 2011.

Just hit a show where they were talking about Triple H and Shawn Michaels burying like half a dozen guys at once in a promo and talking like it was a regular thing. The more I listen to these shows and dig through the PSP archives it really feels as if WWE has been stuck doing the same poo poo over and over and over for years and years and there isn't a hope of it ever changing.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Korak posted:

Do we count Cena/Orton/whomever in the same league as HHH and HBK?

I was meaning Triple H was verbally burying groups of people then just like he did recently in promos toward the Undertaker.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The latest Bryan and Vinny show is one of the most entertaining ones I've heard in a while. Bryan ranting about how stupid Johnny Curtis and Carlito's entire catchphrase and gimmicks are had me cracking up.

It's a free show right now too for anyone that doesn't normally subscribe.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm currently listening to a Bryan And Vinny show from August 19th, 2008.

It's interesting because this conversation happens:

"Bryan: I talked about the championship scramble - They should just add Jericho and call it the six man scramble. He should be in the match anyway since he beat CM Punk tonight in his home town.. which if any of you thought that wasn't gonna happen think again.

Vinny: (agreeing) Then you have not been paying attention to this company for the past decade or more."

We all know by now what the result of the MITB main event is going to be but I just thought it was amusing that they were having nearly the same discussion in 2008.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hirams Bitch posted:

Do we all know what the result will be? Please write it down here with a toxx to cut your balls off if that's not what occurs. Because even if you're 100% certain that Punk is leaving, it doesn't mean the main event result is clear.

Also they did add Jericho to that scramble, after Orton punted Punk.

You, the guy who hates everything is trying to chastise someone about not being optimistic about one of the most foreshadowed main event results in history not being a foregone conclusion.

Alright. Way to get ~WACKY~ about your anger by trying to toxx my balls off, though!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Stupid arguments aside The Bryan And Vinny Show has quickly become my favorite show in the F4W lineup. It's basically just those two railing on all the stupid things that happened during the week but they've got good chemistry and it works. Most of the 'songs' they play aren't nearly as funny as they make them out to be but once in a while they'll get a really funny clip. Vinny looks nothing like I expected from his voice, though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Well again it's because we've been having the same discussions for a decade now. You can hear the same "If anyone though x was going to win in their hometown they are a retard" discussion in a ton of F4W and WOLs from 2001 to now.

Seems so, yeah.

Even more amusing on that same show is that Hulkamatt gets his shoutout read. I didn't expect that.

"Bryan and Vinny this is Hulkamatt of Wrestlehut 2000 - I'm the new moderator there in fact. I signed up right before the awesome barbed wire Christmas tree TNA theme show last year and decided to send this in. First off I want everyone to know that I am the number one ranked TNA player on fourdown.org meaning that I've won the second season when it comes to TNA predictions. This means that I understand TNA the most, (to which Vinny says "Kill yourself now") which I find funny because I barely watch that stupid loving show. My tips for next season for all of you are DON'T WATCH IT. It works! My shoutouts to Bryan and Vinnie who we would still welcome with open arms at Wrestlehut, Bryan's harmonica please play it, Dr. Keith, Dave Meltzer, Cletus, The 1984 Bangles, Jerusalem, Davesecx (sp?), Mob, Weekly Font, Linknumbers, The Rob, CapnAndy, Cumlord Ron Paul, Raving sock monkey, freemarketgravy, MasRayPer, McFreeze and Strenuous Manflurry. And most of all Banjo. Sorry goons if I forgot some names - you're all great. gently caress offs to TNA, join the site freeloaders it's a loving steal. Hulkamatt."

Probably missed a few words in there but it was entertaining!

MassRayPer posted:

If you haven't yet, go back and listen to the December 2007 Adrenaline Flush for the Silent Night, Bloody Night recap and the episode where they read the Impact script.

I'll put it on the list, thanks! Gonna take me a while to make my way through the shows of the years I've missed, haha.

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I don't see how he "hates everything"?

A bit of an overstatement, I agree. I'll take that one back because sometimes the seething Miz/Riley rage overshadows any positive posts but CSammich has been fair in our past arguments so I'll ask that one be stricken from the record!

Outside of the Miz hate obsession he's an alright dude most times.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave is pretty insufferable sometimes.

Bryan: "They could have done (stuff)"
Dave: "That wasn't the plan."
Byran: "I know but I'm saying what they could have done to stretch this out."
Dave: "But that wasn't the plan."

He'd be the worst friend to try to have a conversation with.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

triplexpac posted:

If Bryan would just stop talking about hypotheticals then there would be no problem. Dave only deals with the cold hard facts.

It's annoying though. It's like the audio version of people here quoting posts and saying something like "You're wrong" and nothing else to further the discussion or to give the other person something to work with in a conversation.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I almost died laughing from Bryan talking about Eric Bischoff versus the Bird!

"[Sting] is so concerned that Eric Bischoff might leave his office during a CAGE MATCH, presumably to interfere, despite the fact this match is taking place inside a cage, and there are 5 grown men surrounding the cage; he is so concerned that Eric might do this that he has brought a BIRD to hold Eric Bischoff HOSTAGE!...Bischoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD! He recoiled in fear! 'Stay away from me bird!' as the bird hopped on his desk. Then off Sting went and that is the last we ever saw of Eric. He may still be in his office held hostage by a bird."

Was this on a show with Dave? If so was Dave like "Birds can't really kidnap people."

Dave's complete lack of a sense of humor is comedy to me in itself.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave is really, really annoying sometimes. During the discussion about the last time Tyson lost his title he is sperging out so hard about not remembering the exact date and Bryan keeps saying "Point is it's been a long time ago" and Dave launches right back into worrying about what the exact date was on and on.

God drat Meltzer - just shut up.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I don't think you "get" dave.

No I 'get' him just fine. I know he's obsessive and doesn't know what a joke is but it just gets to be too much sometimes. I can handle his complete lack of a sense of humor but the talking to himself for ten minutes at a time just trying to remember some insignificant detail while Bryan keeps repeating himself trying to move the conversation forward is terrible.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

You don't get dave.

Christ, alright - I don't "Get Dave". And I really don't care too, then. He's mind numbingly boring and a chore to listen to most times.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just heard Bryan and Vinny literally say the following:

Vinny: "With the obvious exception of The Great Khali I think it's fair to say CM Punk may be one of the worst athletes in the company. Right? Is that fair?"

Bryan: "CM Punk? I'm afraid so."

:stare:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

Um, what? He doesn't have a great physique but he's pretty strong for a guy his size and doesn't get gassed five minutes into a match.

The above was said because CM Punk apparently screwed up one flying elbow onto a table. That was the basis of the terrible point they were trying to make.

Hear it for yourself, it's a free show: http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...shout-outs-more

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I might check it out later but are you taking it out of context or are they that dumb

(recapping the CM Punk vs Triple H Match)

quote:

V: "They brawled all over the building, went into the crowd, went behind the video wall, Punk threw duffle bags at him. They went back to ringside, Punk set him up on a table and hit the scariest, most out of control tope rope elbow through a table ever. And with the obvious exception of the great Khali I think it's fair to say that CM Punk may be - he's one of the worst athletes in the company. Right? Is that fair?"

B: "CM Punk?"

V: "Yeah."

B: "I'm afraid so."

V: "And especially - if you disagree with me - watch this elbow again. The way he waves his arms like a lunatic in mid air like he was trying to fly - Yeah, this could have gone alot worse. The sideview especially was hysterical. So they got back into the ring and suddenly Awesome Truth come out".....(recap continues)

The elbow drop that made CM Punk the worst athlete outside of The Great Khali: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxDYsfHAp4

You know who else flailed his arms sometimes during the flying elbow drop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UlD2SyGV68&feature=player_detailpage#t=123s

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave says 'like' more than a high school cheerleader from the 80's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ya know? Like, like, ya know, like, ya know, like like like like etc

They need to hire someone else to speak for Meltzer or just read his written words. It seems to be getting worse.

• Locked thread