Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I understand why people who don't "know" Dave have trouble getting him, because he has bizarre syntax both written and verbal. After ~15 years I have a mental Dave to English filter, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

HulkaMatt posted:

I remember going through that poo poo frame by frame and Batista totally hit the floor first.

Yeah, they actually got pretty lucky it wasn't super-duper obvious.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

CSammich posted:

I haven't listened in a long time (like, a very long time - 10 years or so) but it used to seem like Alvarez was the host, reading listener questions and driving the conversation, while Meltzer answered the questions and dropped knowledge.

Yep, this is pretty much how it still goes.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dave talks a lot more when they interview someone than he does on show reviews, FWIW.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

What's everybody's favorite Bryan and Vinny moments?

A BOAT MADE OF GOLD

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

How did Bryan and Lance get to be such good friends anyways? I mean, they gotta be pretty close for Lance to travel to Bothell for Bryan's wedding.

Something that you pick up on after awhile is that although Dave talks to everyone, Bryan has more close friends among wrestlers. This came out in the Benoit aftermath when Dave revealed to the surprise of nobody that Benoit was a source for 20 years, but it was Bryan that was actually personally close to Benoit. Probably a worker vs. reporter thing.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I don't think this is true at all. When you listen to Dave's stories and see how long he has known some of the wrestlers he interviews it is very clear that Dave is closer to more wrestlers than Bryan. Not counting wrestlers in the PNW indie scene.

This was probably true 20 years ago, but Dave isn't taking frequent trips to Japan as essentially one of the American boys anymore. Perhaps Dave is just being more professional and hiding his personal relationships better. I don't get the sense that he has major personal biases and I do all the time with Bryan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Alvarez has a great Victory Road meltdown in this week's newsletter, actually far better than the one on the radio show.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I put the Todd Martin shows on when I can't sleep sometimes. Great cure for insomnia.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If you're going to a show that Gabe Sapolsky booked, you basically have to accept bad pacing and burned out crowds as part of the territory. He's just not good at that anymore for whatever reason.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I noticed that also and couldn't believe some people claim that he doesn't care about wrestling.

I think a lot of people conflate "care about WWE" with "care about wrestling" because the perception is that WWE has become wrestling over the last decade. Which is all kinda funny given the story on WOR last week about WWE sending that paper a nasty letter about calling the product "wrestling."

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Akileese posted:

Figure Four Daily had Larry Mollin today who wrote for Beverely Hills 90210 and WWE. It's a really great show and I recommend it.

Tidbits learned: DO NOT NOD IN AGENT MEETINGS! Vince hates that.

One of the things I found interesting was their discussion of how basic Vince/Stephanie want characterizations to be. I mean you can kind of already see that with stuff like Super-Cena and Super-Orton, but it's still a bit jarring to hear it. There's a middle ground between black and white and Vince Russo.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

Is Dave being coy when hey says "only ten people know about lesnar/taker" ie: it's a work and lesnar is coming to 'Mania or that no-one knows because they don't understand Taker just took a shot at Sable or they're just doing a work to cross promote both industries?

Dave's making a joke about WWE apparently working their writing staff about it, from the Piermarini interviews. It was a work to try and kick off a WrestleMania angle that Dana White nixed due to Lesnar's exclusive contract, which nobody except Dana is willing to admit for a variety of reasons.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

CVagts posted:

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

His basic point is that it's just one more manifestation of a philosophy Vince has had for a long, long time now and not an individually big deal itself.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Haller posted:

Just starting out listening to a few of these. So far I've been liking Art of Wrestling and Kickout, but I'm on the fence about paying the money for Wrestling Observer. I listened to their recent free stuff and it was good, but 11 dollars a month for a podcast site seems a bit steep. Is there anything else to that website besides the podcasts/archives and the forum?

The Observer newsletter, i.e. the source for about ninety percent of legitimate news and business analysis. Also the semi-redundant Figure Four newsletter. And there's a lot of audio content.

Haller posted:

And how's the forum community there?

It used to be pretty good but the wrestling side is pretty much overrun by trolls. The MMA side has some insider people posting so you get some interesting stuff there. I'd highly suggest doing a username search for Dave's posts every few days, they're alternately hilariously snarky or great info dumps.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The overhaul to mostly feature articles in F4W has helped eliminate some of that because Bryan rarely writes about the same lead as Dave in a given week, and they've gotten pretty interesting. I'd have agreed with you mostly until that change, though.

I wish Bryan would just write feature articles only to be honest. He pretty obviously uses his television reviews from the newsletter as notes for both Observer Radio and B&V, so having them in the newsletter to is super-redundant since he's already covered everything at least once verbatim.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Big Bob Pataki posted:

If you dont immediately go into the archives and download reviews for every TNA PPV you are the worst person

Better yet, just go download ADRENALINE FLUSH on The Board.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Tarasenko Tank posted:

Has Wrestling Observer posted it's review of Lockdown yet? And if so, did Meltzer like it?

The PBP and radio show are up, and somewhat.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Shaman of Cum posted:

todd martin is easily the worst contributor to f4w and this includes jez and les thatcher

I dislike Todd Martin greatly but he isn't worse than Jez.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Another one for seriousquotesfromdave.txt: "Kelly Kelly needs to study tapes of Johnny Valentine."

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

What the gently caress? Why would they put Gross on? Jesus.

Gross was one of the few guys at the Chael Sonnen hearing today. I'm pretty sure Dave realizes he's a hack, but they could use someone for a report on that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bret already wrote a very long and very definitive autobiography, so you're not going to get a major career retrospective so much as whatever Bret and Dave feel like talking about on any given day.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

B&V shows with MARK are the best thing ever, I don't disagree with MRP much but he's just flat wrong here :colbert:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

WOR is supposed to be up soon but the site has been down since the PPV.

It's up now even though the site isn't. Bryan uploaded it to THE BOARD which I guess is on a different server than the main site.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Anyone know who this guy Dave was talking about was?

A poster on The Underground, a popular MMA forum. It's probably Dana, as they noted.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

So it's not a licensed WWE product? I've never seen the sauce IRL but is there a WWE logo on the bottle?

My understanding is that JR owns the company and WWE has been the main distributor for the past few months. JR was running the mail order business out of his garage after the restaurant went down, so that's probably a major upgrade for him.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Borh posted:

which I believe led Dave to get rid of it because for some reason he isn't too keen on having PDF versions of the Observer circulating on the Internet.

Dave put PDF versions of the Observer on the internet for awhile about ten years ago and it led to massive piracy that hurt his subscription business pretty badly.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Borh posted:

I don't have much use for PDF's, though I can see why some people would want them, but I wish Meltzer would just hire a guy to spend a couple of hours every week proof-reading the Observer and fixing up the formatting. Hell, get Vinny to do it. It's not a deal-breaker, because ultimately it's the content that matters and that's far and above anything else that's available, but between Dave's quirky writing style and the abstruse formatting, the Observer can be pretty hard to read sometimes.

As crazy as this sounds, he already has one, Scott Williams. If you think Meltzerese is bad now, you should read some ones from before about 2006.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone who says Dave has no other hobbies has never heard him talk about Friends.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If these were true tainted supplement failures, they'd be submitting the tainted products - including brand name - to the commissions and getting suspensions nullified or reduced. But nobody actually does that because they're lying. Steroids are very easy to get and the ratio of claimed false positives to real false positives is enormous.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Vince was always very love/hate with Meltzer. Dave was a former employee in the 80s (I think it was research, nothing on the creative side). As well Dave's mentioned that when Vince wants to work with you/wanted to go against WCW he would call him up and give information. I don't remember a WWE wrestler being on either the podcasts or WOL since the Invasion.

The short version of why that happened in that time period is that they had a massive falling out over the creative direction of the Invasion that has never been patched up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Well, Jericho, Austin, Bret, Flair and Foley have all been on while under some form of WWE deal, and I'm pretty sure they've spoken to people under developmental deals on air too (Natalya comes to mind). But certainly no-one that would have to get the office to okay it or on active TV.

Austin is free to do whatever the hell he wants, and Jericho, Bret, Flair, and Foley were all interview during periods where they weren't in WWE, although some of them were in the process of coming back. I'm pretty sure Natalya's interview was before she was signed, although perhaps after it was obvious she was going to be at a near-term future date.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

My guess for Flair/Thesz finish would be:

1.) Punk (in a landslide)
2.) Richards
3.) Tanahashi
4.) Devitt
5.) Cena

Realistically, Cena should win it, but he has next to no chance.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Guesses for most outstanding?

Richards, Danielson, Punk, Devitt, and I can't think of an obvious fifth off the top of my head.

I suspect TWITTER TWEET TWEET TWITTER TRENDING poo poo will win promotional tactic.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Was the Aguayo cancer thing ever confirmed as phony? I remember there being a lot of skepticism that it was actually a drug thing and not cancer, but never anything concrete.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Tanahashi winning Wrestler of the Year is buys.

I'm genuinely surprised, and frankly a little perplexed given New Japan's relegation to what is essentially an indy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Karmine posted:

Kind of a bummer that the best draw only appeared on like a half dozen shows all year, but I guess that's just how much of a draw he was.

Dave thought it was an awful vote and I tend to agree; there's essentially no argument to be made for Rock over Georges St-Pierre.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

The entire Wrestlemania season was huge, bigger than usual, with constant sellout house shows, even Smackdown house shows doing strong numbers, beefed up ratings and of course the fat Mania buyrate. All because the Rock showed up. He made the product hot without even appearing on 95% of the shows that received a boost from him. Survivor Series was bad, but that was a matter of WWE using all of their booking prowess to make the main event completely uninteresting. Add onto that the tons and tons of merch he no doubt sold.

Meanwhile, Georges St-Pierre drew two of the largest sellouts in modern history, one a stadium show, and two 800k buyrates as the sole draw on both shows, and probably had just as many peripheral benefits as Rock. It's not even a comparison, St-Pierre blows Rock away.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Perigryn posted:

Don West is a trooper and deserves better.

Don West was one of the best managers in wrestling for the brief time they used him as such. It's a real shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Cole has never been a good announcer and he's been at it for, what, fourteen or fifteen years now? There's room for him as a personality but it's really amazing that Vince still thinks the guy is the future when he's both bad and beyond stale.

• Locked thread