Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love the Observer subscription. I get roughly two hours of podcasts a day to listen to at work, plus the entire catalog of podcasts and three newsletters a week to read on my iPad at the gym. All for what I make in about 45 minutes at work.

If you have a desk job, there's no better purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

This is assuming that HHH will veer from his current path of shoehorning his over-the-hill friends into the product when he takes over the company.

HHH will do whatever gets him over the most. That includes picking the best announcer to get people over, which is JR

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The one loving day I can't wait to listen to Observer radio it's not posted until late afternoon.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they did that to Sheamus, I'd probably not order Mania on principle alone. They can put whoever they want in that title match and it isn't going to mean poo poo because the Cena-Rock and HHH-Taker fights are going to be what sells the card. If there's one year to take the World Title and let two unproven guys have a chance to shine, it's this year.

Regardless, if they do anything, they'll move the belt off of Bryan, not take Sheamus' shot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought that discussion was about footage for the documentary portion and not about whole matches.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Question said "for the rights to use matches".

Oops. That's what I get for listening at work.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

Oh wow WON/F4W changed its site layout :stare:

It's like the font they used didn't have a bold style, so they added stroke to it. It's incredibly loving jarring.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Something about MVP just never seemed like a big time main event guy to me. Booking aside I just felt like his ceiling was Mr. perfect level.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

after nearly a year of subscribing to WO/F4W, the personal stuff in the Bryan and Vinny podcasts are probably my favorite. I can see how people would find that annoying, but I like the personal aspects of some of the shows.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It took me a while to warm up to him, but Karl Stern owns.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would much rather be seeing a heel MVP against The Rock in the main event of Wrestlemania instead of John Cena

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I'll have to give AoW another try. I was into it for a while, but eventually I just got tired of listening to Colt Cabana. Not sure why.

Edit: Speaking of podcasts I got sick of, did Lagana quit doing his podcast series once he went to TNA?

I have never seen or heard Cabana do anything and not immediately thought "here is a man who tries too hard"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I always assumed Dave was kind of at his wife's mercy when it came to non-wrestling/MMA television.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Except for Friends and Dallas, of course.

The first time I heard him talk about Dallas I immediately pictured young Dave as Bill Haverchuk.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

Inconsistencies aside it's the best storyline in TNA right now

Such great heights

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

Anyone else having issues with their itunes just forgetting observer credentials lately? It started with the site a few days ago not auto logging me in and then having to manually punch in my credentials (A browser issue more than anything else) but now the last 4 times it's updated I've had to put in my stuff manually. No idea why as it should be saving them automatically.

Mine's has been fine at work and at home

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

It is a scientific fact that WWE has only done one good video package. Remember that HBK/UT rematch? That was carried by Undertaker promos and physical interaction.

The UT-HBK rematch video with the Placebo song is the best thing WWE has ever done.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

This is true, but really that entire 14 month program - storylines, promos, video packages, matches, everything - is the best thing WWE has done in many, many years.

which is probably the best example in many, many years of something that was put together almost exclusively by the two people involved and not high-level creative, no?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Todd Martin makes poo poo up and is so up his own rear end that it comes off like he might be right when he isn't. He's also the only person I've ever heard whose logic is almost always wrong.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The best part of this week's Observer was that bizarre rant about that Scott Baio show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:stare: Vinny's opinion of the HHH-Taker match

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love how Dave basically said today that if you're poor, you cannot be a true fan.

Not to defend Miz or say that he had a tough life or whatever because I don't think he did, but saying someone is basically a fake fan or knows nothing because they haven't been to a live show is ridiculous.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't know why he didn't go, and maybe that does say something, but to suggest it's basically impossible for him to know anything about Nick Bockwinkle because he'd never been to a wrestling show before actually being a wrestler is completely asinine. I'm not saying Miz didn't bullshit completely on that DVD, because in all likelihood he did, I just think Meltzer is generalizing to an absolutely ridiculous degree.

Then again, it's Dave Meltzer, so yeah.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just think its funny that we're talking about a nerd from a reality show who cut promos with a toy belt and eventually worked to become a legit WWE superstar and the case is actually being made that he doesn't care or he's a fake fan.

It's not like we're talking about Mason Ryan or Kelly Kelly or someone picked out of a magazine.

He's a crappy worker for sure, but given everything we know and how the locker room gave him every reason to fold and run like a bitch, it's kind of ludicrous to paint it like it's just a paycheck to him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

Hi my name's Duder from California. What do you guys wanna talk about?

Bryan: Do you have a question?

Nah man I can talk about anything.

:420:

was that the "hey, let's pick up where you guys just left off" guy?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe they'll do B&V tonight since they already said there's no observer podcast since Smackdown is a repeat of Tuesday and there's a UFC tomorrow.

Also, god bless gigmark

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Just got around to B&V from Saturday night.

"my favorite was the pony we let die in the winter"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

How did Dave not loving know that was a freezer? My god

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Nason complaining that King Mo got a full year when he was honest (he made up a bullshit supplement excuse) but Overeem was a huge liar (also made up excuses) and got a slap on the wrist (9 months) is hilarious. He sounds just like the commission, one liar sounded more sincere to him, so how dare they be lenient on the guy that sounded sincere to them.

At the very least, Mo actually had the supplement and it contained the very thing he tested positive for, even if that almost certainly wasn't the reason for the failed test.

Overeem went from TRT and dick pills to ultimately settling on a defense of an anti-inflammatory shot that 99% of the time has no testosterone in it. Not to mention dipping out on a previous drug test, getting away with that by agreeing to random testing, then literally running out of the building and fleeing in a car to avoid the random test that he was explicitly told he would have to take following the press conference minutes before it started.

I'd say Mo, without question, deserved less of a suspension than Overeem.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Mo was actually in the cage and fought a dude while doped up. Overeem on the other hand due to it being out of competition did not, even if he had every intention of doing so. King Mo was just as bad as Overeem, you don't get points for your lie just because you stuck to one story.

Overeem got off light because he's Overeem. Mo got the full deal because nobody gives a poo poo about King Mo.

That's what happened. Everyone knows it. It is what it is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Then why do lots of fighters get reduced suspensions, fighters about as popular as King Mo?

Those fighters probably don't have a history of dickish bullshit with commissions.

Acting like Overeem didn't get off lighter because he's Overeem is naive as hell. They opened the hearing talking about how he literally fled the test as soon as the press conference was over and then openly gushed over how wonderful his explanation was at the end.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Overeem isn't exactly a mega star. He has one UFC main event. Before that he's appeared on a few not so well rated Strikeforce events.

Being a potential golden boy for Lorenzo probably doesn't hurt much.

I guess I can't blame Overeem much. It's just a lovely situation.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Perigryn posted:

I hope someone brings Vince's claim up next year when they incur more losses and flat out asks him "Do you just don't want to make any more money to fund your next failure?"

If the have shareholders step up and try to make him fix poo poo, he'll just act like a shithead and drive the price into the core of the Earth, then waste his money buying it all back so he can be an even bigger shithead.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is going to sound really mean and I don't mean it that way, but Brent is what I imagine having a conversation IRL with Writer Cath is like.

I mean in the rambling sense, not the suicidal sense

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 2, 2012

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Am I the only one who immediately requested to join Fans and Friends of Brent Kremen on Facebook?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Granny referenced my Jewish ladies at pinochle comment on Brent Kremen's Facebook page. I can die happy now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

He bought a ticket to HALF a TNA house show, by the time he got in

More like 1/3

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

He got mad that Meltzer said the UFC rating sucked and said "Dave Meltzer, you just lost your job at Yahoo, buddy. The last thing anyone needs from you is business advice."

I love how this makes no sense whatsoever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Labored Wooting posted:

For those that don't know, Yahoo's new CEO shut down the MMA division despite the fact that it was successful compared to other parts of the site. Also Dave Meltzer has been studying ratings much longer than Dana White has.

Yahoo took a bunch of competent writers and replaced them with stupid blog hacks because for next to nothing, they'll write anything for clicks, even if it's ridiculous and totally false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The absolute numbers were poo poo but UFC on Fox 3 was the top show in all male demos and the main event among all adults.

It means nothing though, because almost anything sports will win that demo on a Saturday night because almost anyone that age is out and about and if they're not, they're staying in to watch sports.

poo poo, quote is not edit

• Locked thread