Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

MassRayPer posted:

The latest Observer Radio contains a great tangent about how TNA should replace Russo with Watson.

Percy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Hopefully when Vince dies, Triple H will be reasonable enough to sledgehammer the gently caress out of Dunn and Ace.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Dr. Keith Presents today is 2 HOURS AND 18 MINUTES reviewing ALL OF NXT SEASON 4 and it's free.

Why is it 3 times the length of the show it's reviewing?

E: Oh all of NXT 4 :doh:.

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 10, 2011

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Deadpool posted:

No it wouldn't. It would explain replacing him somehow, especially if you do a non-finish in the match before that for the number one contender spot. Nothing explains that main event.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Lagana has a new podcast up on IWantWrestling.com with Colt Cabana discussing mainly Wrestling Road Diaries.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Davey Richards loses his podcast virginity on this week's Art of Wrestling! :toot:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Davey was on the drunkcast.

MassRayPer posted:

Davey also did a Figure 4 Daily back in 2005. That would have to make him one of the first guests on the show.

Then the very first thing he says on Colt's podcast is a lie. :negative:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Borh posted:

I wouldn't say Jeff has more charisma than Christian, but he's definitely got something. He wouldn't be able to connect with the crowd the way he does and be so consistently over while being so terrible at promos if he didn't.

That's charisma.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

I normally hang in Alans section. He's starting a 36 favorite wrestler tournament this weekend. :toot:

That would be the best loving tournament ever if it were real.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

The first half of MVP's 90 minute interview with Lagana is up.

Great interview, probably Lagana's best so far. The Benoit stuff was very heavy, I think this would be the first time he spoke about Benoit at length in public. I miss MVP, but I'm glad he got out when he did and on his own terms. I should probably get around to watching his New Japan stuff sometime.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

God loving dammit. Is the show all Vegas talk, or is it at least tucked into the beginning or end?

Skip the first 39 minutes

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

He says in the podcast that he had to say that he asked for his release for a business thing.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

This week's guest on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast:

:siren: Zack Ryder :siren:

E: More confirmation that Zack's dad is in fact the best dad.

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 21, 2011

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Also, reffing MMA and reffing pro wrestling are two different jobs.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Haven't listened to the Punk interview yet, but what has WWE done to NOT deserve the "Oh they'll just ruin it next week" reaction? Besides this current Punk angle they have a track record of loving up storylines.

He didn't attack people who said that, he just acknowledged those jaded wrestling fans exist, and for good reason, but that he wishes they didn't think that way and just enjoyed it. It's not like he was saying they shouldn't feel that way.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

This week's Art of Wrestling features the Glamazon~

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Newest Art of Wrestling features:

...Johnny Curtis?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Holy gently caress is Riggs annoying. No wonder he didn't get signed.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Oatgan posted:

It's not like the team gets their name from James Storm loving beer and Bobby Roode loving money and their specific combination forms the Mega Powers of beer and money.

Uh, that's exactly where they get their name, which is why Shelley/Storm being called Gun Money made no sense.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

This week's Art of Wrestling is KENNY OMEGA~!

Haven't listened to it, but I am quite excited.

e: Huh, just realized it's Thursday night right now, not Wednesday night. So I am in fact a day late making this post!

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

It was one of the questions that THE BOARD~ asked.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Soul Man Danny B.

Incredible.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I voted for the fake cancer thing, because that's pretty hosed up.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Must have missed the fake cancer thing - can someone summarize or give a link?

Here's the post from THE BOARD

quote:

It won't win because Meltzer didn't cover it but Perro Aguayo Jr. faked cancer to draw a big crowd for the Perros Anniversary Show in May. The idea being it was a cage match Clowns vs Perros and Perrito was in the match so him announcing cancer meant more fans would think he might lose since he'd have to lose his hair during radiation anyways. He didn't lose. He never had cancer. Show drew well.

If that isn't the definition of most disgusting promotional tactic I'm not really sure what is.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Karmine posted:

I realize that the official name is "Best Box Office Draw" but are PPV buys also considered?

Yeah I think it just refers to overall $$$ made.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave thought it was an awful vote and I tend to agree; there's essentially no argument to be made for Rock over Georges St-Pierre.

The entire Wrestlemania season was huge, bigger than usual, with constant sellout house shows, even Smackdown house shows doing strong numbers, beefed up ratings and of course the fat Mania buyrate. All because the Rock showed up. He made the product hot without even appearing on 95% of the shows that received a boost from him. Survivor Series was bad, but that was a matter of WWE using all of their booking prowess to make the main event completely uninteresting. Add onto that the tons and tons of merch he no doubt sold.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

The awards discussion show was really depressing. Wrestling really sucks these days.

It was only depressing because Bruce Mitchell didn't know ANYTHING except WWE & TNA. Dave was being negative, and justifiably so, but Bruce just went on and on about the GOOD OL' DAYS. They really should have figured out a way to get Alan on instead, because he actually watches lots (and lots) of pro wrestling except TNA and watches a fair amount of UFC. Plus he would have brought a positive slant to things and would have been able to argue with Dave over the whole "promotion of the year HAS TO be financially successful" deal. You don't give Twilight or Transformers the Oscar because they made a gently caress load of money. Using financial success as a criteria for reader awards is really stupid, seeing as how that's entirely objective and the idea of having your readers vote on awards should be entirely subjective.

Also Bruce Mitchell implying that Kevin Steen doesn't know how to brawl without weapons was just obnoxiously ignorant.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I think the problem with most outstanding is that the past few years it was always dominated by a handful of wrestlers. And now they've either retired (like HBK) or been put in positions where they can't wrestle at that level (like Bryan), and the other guys who are at that level just don't get the recognition they deserve, mostly because they don't get the exposure. I mean if El Generico was somehow a top guy in WWE, I bet he'd probably be, not quite HBK-level, but at just a level or two under. Also Orton and Christian both got snubbed.

And yeah, last year's feuds were really sad, especially because a lot of them were half really awesome, but then half really mediocre or disappointing. Cena-Punk was amazing up until MITB, then dropped off a cliff. Davey-Eddie and Briscoes-ANX were awesome the first half of the year, but then the Sinclair deal threw the timing of shows out of whack and then you ended up with ANX winning a ladder war only to lose their title shot at a house show and Davey becoming a whiny jilted lover. Orton-Christian was awesome in the ring, but just dragged on way too long. Steen-ROH was awesome but then he didn't wrestle until after the awards year. I'm sure the actual winner would probably be Blood Warriors vs Junction Three but I don't watch enough Dragon Gate.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Also cat and granny are strictly on the B&V show which is supposed to just be Bryan and Vinny shooting the poo poo and sometimes discussing wrestling.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

It's always great when Dave or Lance just BURY Bryan's terrible ideas.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Dave just completely BURYING Todd at the end of the post-EC show was great.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

New Japan is awesome and easily the best wrestling promotion right now and also PWG and the others mentioned. I'm hesitant to call them all better than WWE because WWE is pretty good right now, but they're all magnitudes better than 94 WWF.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Eh, I like ROH but it's been pretty stagnant the past like 6 or so months. Steen needs to hurry up and win the title because I really couldn't give a poo poo about Davey's title reign anymore.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I couldn't give a poo poo either. However, Blind Destiny is a great concept, their tag division is booming and every TV show is exciting no matter who is wrestling.

The TV's solid but exciting is not one of the first adjectives that would come to mind.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

triplexpac posted:

The best part was they'd want the guys to do pro wrestling AND MMA, I have no idea how that would work out.

Japan did that a lot. Of course now pro wrestling in Japan is in the crapper and MMA is even deader.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

It was funny hearing Bryan struggle to think of a match that elevated a guy like Elgin vs Richards when ROH did the same thing in 08 with Tyler Black. Hopefully they don't botch the follow up like they did there.

He went to a match just like that live two years ago! (Tozawa/Hero)

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

njsykora posted:

Or I don't want to pay 3 times the price of the ticket to travel and stay because I have nowhere to crash. Plus the whole working most Saturdays when the local indies run and WWE only coming to the UK twice a year.

I can afford to go to shows, actually getting to them is the problem I face.

Miz is from Ohio.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Wait, when was he the biggest draw in wrestling? He didn't do poo poo for house shows or PPV during his initial WWE run.

Biggest as in bigger than anyone in MMA or pro wrestling while he was in UFC.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

BAN DICKEYE posted:

gonna end punk vs bryan. there i saved you 3 months

Punk isn't reaching the finals on that side. It'll be Generico or Tozawa. Bryan I think will probably make it but Sekimoto might beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's an western board where the majority of people will vote for what they've been most exposed to, it's going to be Punk Vs Bryan.

Alan4L's board is not the main board.

• Locked thread