Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I legit choked on my tea reading that. Big Dave's posts on the Observer forums are usually p. hilarious too.

Dave is the best on the board. Really a great troll. I'll always remember his post about biggest draws of all time:

dave posted:

Hogan's the bigger star and drew longer. But Hogan's best year couldn't touch Austin's best year. Hogan made Vince a millionaire. Austin made him a billionaire. HHH & Steph made him a millionaire again.

For podcasts, Alan's shows with Eamo and Justin Shapiro are probably my favorite podcast to listen to, wrestling or otherwise. Even if you don't understand alot of the jokes if you don't regularly read the F4W board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beeswax posted:

The funniest thing about newcomers thinking the stories form Vegas are pathetic is that they haven't even been acquainted with Ed in San Antonio yet.

Short version: Hugely fat mexican-american guy who brags about driving drunk, getting high and loving hookers (like, seriously brags about the hookers he's paid to gently caress). Also fell in love with a lap dancer at some club in Las Vegas.

Don't worry, even the F4W board thinks he is a joke too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Capsaicin posted:

One of my favorite BnV moments ever was when they were watching the Michelle McCool LOVING LIFE promos live on the show. I wish they did more stuff like that and play WWE.com games more often.

Those videos were great. Its gotten so hard for me to remember any specific B&V show moments because I have listened to drat near every one, but I remember thinking that the first time Impact moved to 2 hours those first dozen shows after that were just golden.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LividLiquid posted:

I think Dave just went nuts.

But everyone knows Dave's favorite shows are 90210 and Friends.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

triplexpac posted:

Does anyone here post regularly on the F4W board? I pop on it once every couple months, it's a strange place.

...I have over 20,000 posts there. Which if you see the postcount thread there, puts me in small company.

Before the Observer merger the board was much friendlier even with everyone still hating Bryan, which I don't think Bryan gets enough respect for. He has somehow cultivated his entire client base to disagree with what he says, and he just goes with it. Everyone's biggest fans (from celebrities to internet celebrities) are probably the ones that make fun of you the most.

The shitposting on the board now ebbs and flows depending on certain time periods (KOTB really brings it out.) Its very easy to get into a trolling mood when there are no mods (Alan4L certainly doesn't count.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Borh posted:

Yep, that was Brent.

Also noteworthy is the story of how Bryan Alvarez met Brent Kremen. Bryan was once at a WWE house show, when he saw a guy get evicted from the arena after throwing a bottle of water at Sid. He thought to himself, "Jesus Christ, what a weirdo". Sometime later Bryan was at another show and started talking to a guy who bragged about having once been kicked out of a WWE show for throwing a bottle at a wrestler... and the rest is history.

I thought he also brought a squeegee to mess with him but I may be misrembering the story.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Shaman of Cum posted:

alvarez said it on a radio show. he's also very prone to hyperbole

Bryan has also said that a random Regal vs. London match from Smackdown was six stars once.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Rogue posted:

The way people act about Flair is just hilarious to me.

Even as a pre-teen watching WCW you knew that Flair was never going to stop. All the jokes we made about Terry Funk back then we knew we'd make about Ric Flair. I can't believe even in this day and age, people thought Flair would just happily accept retirement after a Wrestlemania send off. How the gently caress does the WWE mean more to Ric Flair than wrestling means to Ric Flair? It would never. No pomp and circumstance would ever stop Flair from wrestling. It's all he knows. It's all he cares about. Call it a disease if you want, but it's what he's got and thinking that the Undertaker doing a little post-show send off will keep Flair from wrestling you're loving stupid.

Ric Flair might be sad, but the way people act about him is worse. At least Flair knows who he is.

There is a big difference between being unable to stop because they need to hear the crowd pop vs. needing to go out because you owe millions of dollars in back taxes and alimony payments. (See also: Hogan, Hulk)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

The legendary Roller Derby issue has been posted. I'm not sure why they posted it, but go read it.

People asked for it in the Observer section. I think he has released a couple other Observers out-of-turn like that before related to the Montreal Screwjob.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What does Todd Martin bring that warrants a phone call every week?

What he says on the podcasts is nothing compared to the general idiocy he shows on the forum. Every other regular radio show host/guest are usually fine there, but Todd is just the worst.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Borh posted:

I'm listening now and they're doing a segment by segment comparison between this week's Raw and the one with Jeremy Piven and Ken Jeong as GM's from 2009, so it's off to a great start. And yeah, it's a free show.

Edit: oh God, they just mentioned that was the show where HHH lost a 2-on-1 match to Rhodes and DiBiase, then suddenly flicked a switch, sold the beatdown by going "Ow! Ow! That sure hurt." and started cutting a comedy promo that eventually led to another DX reunion. That show really gave last night's a run for its money.

Is that the same show where London and Kendrick came out to help him from and he just Pedigree'd them after?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fauxhawk Express posted:

B&V. Originally from Vinny's (awful) sports podcast from around 2008 or so.

E: As a B&V sidenote, whatever happened to Mark? He was so much better than even Brent.

I think I listened to every one of those. I carry a certain fondness for it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LordPants posted:

Re: This year's Hall Of Fame.

I love, (and the Rock means LOVE), how an Australian superstar was introduced but Wrestling is so shunned in Australia that I HAD NEVER HEARD OF HIM IN MY LIFE. I mean, I had, but I didn't know he was a top drawing babyface. Or, y'know even in Australia in the first place.

edit: Can I just explain that I'm listening to the B&V show right now which is why I wrote that in some sort of Rock/Vinny/Dave hybrid voice then... :negative:

Well, it depends on your age. Dave has said that the Australian territory completely died in the mid-70s.

Cena is a lock. Brock Lesnar is also going on the ballot too.

Tanahashi should eventually get in. He won't, because the people who vote for Japan are going to compare him to the previous generation of stars, when he is working with no magazines, one TV show airing at 3 AM, and the complete destruction of his company by Inoki's fascination with making shootfights. He is so far and away the biggest star in Japan for his generation. Nakamura, Marufuji, CIMA barely come close.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

Cena won't get in next year. 6 years on top, three of which have seen alarming drops in business and ratings aren't enough. He'll eventually get in though.

Cena is seen as the guy that brought back house show business in the US in 05 from previous lows in the post-attitude era, and the boon in business until 08 is attributed to him. Much of his growth of the wrestling industry is expanding out of the traditional draw metrics to make things like merchandise sales a legitimate factor in WWE profitability. The slump the WWE is in now cannot be attributed to just Cena because it involves the lack of foresight by WWE in how they promote PPVs and their ability to make new stars while older ones retire/leave. It could be said that Cena is the only reason is it not even worse. Cena and HHH are the only wrestlers who consistently move ratings (although Henry has been elevating Smackdown for the past month.)

He, along with Mistico, are talked about as the only two locks who were not on the ballot. If it doesn't make it next year it is only because of people not voting for him because "I wait until they retire," which is a silly argument when Cena has already proven himself to be a great draw (top 3 for the past decade,) good/great worker, and trail-blazing (yes, trail-blazing) work on the promotion circuit and charity work show he has been influentially positive to the business as whole. Cena's story is not still being written, its pretty much set in stone unless he kills somebody. The Cena/Rock WM buyrate will just cement it.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 20, 2011

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

Mistico had a great couple of years and then two really lousy years. He shouldn't be a lock either. In fact it would be ridiculous if Mistico got in at all right now. Luckily for him he has a couple more years until eligibility. If next year's WM does a really killer buyrate it may push him over, but I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot. Remember, SHAWN MICHAELS was not a first ballot Hall of Famer. Neither was Konnan and at his peak he was way more important in Mexico than Cena is in the US. At this point Cena has 3 great years to rely on. If that is all it took, way more people would be in.

His wrestling is hit or miss and his charity work has made almost no impact on the business. For impact you can argue he laid the groundworks for the return to PG and the Mattel deal due to his popularity, but his charity work has meant literally nothing to the business as a whole.

Shawn Michaels and Konnan were not let in early for stupid reasons. HBK because everyone thought he was a dick no matter how good his work was. Konnan was seen as a failure inside the US because of his terrible WCW run. Both got in for different reasons as well. HBK got in when he came back after a 4 year layoff and was working as good as when he left, and stopped being a dick. Konnan got in after Dave wrote up a list of all-time draws and he was the much, much higher on the list than most people figured, and by far and away the highest person on the list not in the HOF.

Mistico started an entire boom period on his own. The "lousyness" of the final years is only in comparison to how big he was before, and not out of line with CMLL historic averages. His boom stopped only by the inability for CMLL to do the right thing in booking him (once they started making him lose clean they needed to build for the heel turn, and business picked up when they started a hell program but quickly canceled it) and WWE pushing into Mexico making all promotions look B-level. Mistico's chances of getting in have slipped considerably because of how people see him now by going to WWE.

You are comparing John Cena's drawing ability as something as the Warrior/Goldberg level, which is laughable. What Cena has done is a completely different type of draw. When you say it was only 3 years on top, it is not like other draws have done more than him in the US. If you're gonna compare it that way, The Rock was only big for 3 years. Technically, Cena could be seen as the biggest draw in the world for 3 years, going by the 10,000 level house show metric Dave likes to use. From the 2010 business year-in-review:

Dave Meltzer posted:

This makes the third year (along with 2007 and 2009) that Cena ranks No. 1. As far as overall historically, at this point in Cena’s career he is the 34th biggest draw in history based on annual positioning in the top ten. Mistico moves to No. 24 of all-time. Undertaker moves to No. 25. Randy Orton moves to No. 64. Batista is at No. 69. Jericho moves to No. 75. The latter three are in a position where some are in the Hall of Fame and some aren’t, so they would not be considered in “lock” positions. Everyone top 25 is in the Hall of Fame and almost everyone in the top 55 is in.

WWE has always been profitable. And even then, being on top for 3 years now, when there is only one large wrestling company in the world, is very different from even 15 years ago where there were many strong promotions. I know that his work is not at the top-level, but his number of great matches has built up to be very impressive. And when I say historically positive, I mean that John Cena is the new template for how a wrestler will be used to promote the business. Once he got on top, Cena was a nonstop media machine. Whenever they needed someone to to radio work coming into town, they asked Cena. Whenever WWE wanted someone in a celebrity poker tournament or reality thing, the goto guy was Cena, and was until The Miz started sharing duty. Whatever the WWE looks for now in their top guys, they are going to want a "company man" like Cena. And that is why I think he is a lock.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Capsaicin posted:

They did once.

And they poo poo on it HARD.

Are you sure you're not talking about the B&V show with the hour long tag gauntlet they hated?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Rogue posted:

Could someone quote it?

Its just bullshit steroid discussion.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have made fun of Adam for literal YEARS about how he talks about REAL FANS versus those bozos or whatever he calls them that started going when they started winning. Its a dumb argument. But I still like that show (it got me into puro.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Ya know? Like, like, ya know, like, ya know, like like like like etc

They need to hire someone else to speak for Meltzer or just read his written words. It seems to be getting worse.

Its gotten to a point that I don't notice all the daveisms. I just understand what he is talking about.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arbite posted:

Who were the guys at #9? The great Canadian Power outte joke.

Alan, Eamo, and Justin Shapiro. Their "Just Eamoing to Please" series is probably the best stuff on the site.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sue Denim posted:

How active was the Observer/F4 during 199/200/2001?

I wish they had stuff from this time archived, it would be really awesome being able to watch old Nitro's/Raw/PPV's and then read or listen to stuff about them from the time.

That and I'm sure the stuff from that time would be really interesting since wrestling was so big.

Bryan has said there is another reason why the old F4Ws are not up: they are terrible.

There is a thread in the Alan4L section of the board where someone goes through past F4Ws from 2000. He has done around a dozen, and they are hilarious, if just for how many times Bryan compares Chris Benoit to a killer.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HulkaMatt posted:

Award deadline is January 12 so prob sometime near/in February.

Usually the awards issue is 2 weeks after voting is over.

And if Perro Aguayo Jr's "final show before chemo" doesn't win then there is no justice.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HulkaMatt posted:

DKP Annual is now up for direct download for members. Download it asap if you have not.

Alan has said that it is free for all: he has a fileserve link up on his twitter.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I honestly don't see voters giving him a quarter of the votes that Punk grabs, even if he deserves it.

That's because voters are dumb. Hopefully enough people listened to Alan's shows to see why Punk doesn't deserve it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah but he was rude to a piss tester once so

He was also one of the "heavily fined" pot users.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I troll Bryan all the time but I would never call him a bad wrestler. I've only seen clips of the Alvarez/Traylor McNaylor hour match but that was really good. Same thing with his Chikara Sweeney match.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hey I don't mean to start trouble, but HulkaMatt tweeted people should only listen to the first two minutes of the episode, then turn off. How does this complete indifference of your hard work make you feel?

Well, there is Nut Bunnies.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

njsykora posted:

Holy crap was that on The Board?

Newsletter. But really who read's bryan's thing anyway.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CombineThresher posted:

It's also interesting to hear them talk about Regal's impact on Nigel, and how no older wrestlers have really taken Colt under their wing so far. Which is odd, because you'd think an athletic guy who doesn't do crazy highspots and tries to entertain the fans would be someone they'd like.

I dunno if anyone else hear has listened to the Justin Shapiroshow (http://www.thecubsfan.com/tag/justin-shapiro/) but he has a pretty interesting theory that kind of relates to this. The newer generation of wrestlers (people who started after the attitude era and got their start through the indy scene or modern WWE developmental) are generally better as "real people" than the previous generation before them, who were for the most part a bunch of sociopathic carnys. This may be better for all of the wrestlers personally, but it may not make for a better wrestling product. Now not everyone fits that stereotype (Mick Foley, CM Punk) but I tend to agree with him.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

njsykora posted:

and get the horrible sound quality that everyone not Bryan, Vinny or Alan4L suffers on that site (seriously, Skype exists)

Adam and Mike has always done their show on Skype. And Alan's show sounds pretty terrible, even if it is my favorite so I don't care.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

and 90210. And all of these things are what Dave knows and not Bryan. Bryan knows what wrestling is, what jiu jitsu is and where you put your penis in a woman.

Bryan knows about Bell Biv Devoe.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gonzo McFee posted:

Granny, no... :ohdear:

Granny, noted Joel Osteen follower, a Ron Paul fan? While I never :monocle:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Akileese posted:

Just a heads up but paypal just killed my recurring payment for F4W for not having a back up funding account (despite having at least two on there). So now my account is lapsed. Hurrah. Basically I had to go into my overview, cancel my subscription and then renew it again.

This happened to me last year. I just emailed Tony, and he just added 3 days to my account while I got my PayPal sorted out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

No he's not. Guys have to cycle off steroids in MMA while in wrestling they can do them year round and are much more likely to destroy their bodies because of it.

Its not about hurting yourself, its about hurting other people.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LordPants posted:

Huge wall of text incoming.

I still wouldn't call this as good as the daily news updates where he just trolls everything there. Those are works of beauty.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's far easier to get in from Japan and Tanahashi is a good worker.

There have been 4 people in from the US the past 5 years (Rock,Midnight Express, Rey, Jericho.) 2 from Japan, and one of those was posthumous (Steve Williams.) If you go back to 2006 it is even at 5/5, but I really doubt any region will induct 3 people at the same time again. It is even harder for people from Japan's post-90s scene to get in. There is no way anyone like Nagata, Tenzan, Kojima, or Akiyama is getting in, so it makes the case harder for Tanahashi.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol last year posted:

Cena is a lock. Brock Lesnar is also going on the ballot too.

MassRayPer last year posted:

Cena won't get in next year. 6 years on top, three of which have seen alarming drops in business and ratings aren't enough. He'll eventually get in though.

:smug:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Perigryn posted:

There's his experiences with crazy girls that he's alluded to a couple of times.

Dave is a well known banana smasher.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LordPants posted:

Vinny's gettin' ma-a-a-rried. Gonna get ma-a-a-rried.

:3:

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Man, that's awkward. Vince probably wanted to hang the Meltz.

Dave has talked about this alot, Meltzer was the closest thing he had to a friend on that panel.

• Locked thread