Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I understand why people who don't "know" Dave have trouble getting him, because he has bizarre syntax both written and verbal. After ~15 years I have a mental Dave to English filter, I guess.

Dave's verbal stammering and repeated "you know"s didn't really bother me until I read the transcript from when they were talking about Fedor/Bigfoot, and "you know" was in a written paragraph 30 times.

Also, I really love Dave's dry sense of humor in the Observer. If wrestling is going to be bad, it should be bad enough to give Dave ample material to entertain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was trying to save money, but now it sounds like I need to resubscribe to the Observer. :(

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Bryan's always referred to it as Undertaker's dong, and he and whoever else is on the show plays it completely straight.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Rick posted:

I really love Meltzer's rant against the people angry over the change to "WWE" is really perfect. It's just such pointless anger.

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Haller posted:

I'm gonna try out Observer for a month and see if I like it enough to keep the subscription. Sounds like a promising amount of content from what was described.

This is a great idea. I did it, and I ended up keeping my sub for almost a year. I should probably re-up for a month just to listen to the March/April stuff (Victory Road, Wrestlemania, I probably missed a lot of gold).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Refresh my memory: who is Jez?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Wow, rovert was finally banned? Good poo poo.

And the video game guy was awful. His video game reviews were as long as some Observer newsletters. Absolutely ridiculous.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
DC Sniper was my favorite troll poster there, and it's not even close.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Well this would explain the pros' vote from season 1 where Daniel Bryan was #1 despite losing all his matches.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

BIG DAVE :krakken: ON WEDNESDAYS WOR~!

Big Dave is on every Wrestling Observer Radio though...oh you mean the OTHER Big Dave.

BATTLE OF THE DAVES :krakken:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Akileese posted:

Holy loving poo poo F4D with todd basically saying "all fighters can fight every three weeks." They argue this for a good 30 minutes. It's unbearable.

Todd Martin argues a dumb point for an absurd length of time? Well I never.

(never listen to his shows, that is)

On the positive side, I was backing up some files on my computer, and I found that I had saved all the TNA Adrenaline Flushes and old B&V episodes (far from complete, just some 2009-10 shows that I liked) that I had downloaded. Good times.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Rick posted:

I've never heard Bryan say that he's doing it to troll people. He just is doing it because he enjoys it and he says almost once a month "if you don't like it, don't subscribe."

That's a pretty bad business mentality, but things like that are usually small bits of the overall product (one of his other comments about it is "if you don't like it, hit the fast forward button/don't listen to that show"), and he's obviously not hurting for subscriptions, so it doesn't seem to be doing him any noticeable damage.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Was it just because of the Sting/Flair match?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is the Hall of Fame coming around again, or are they just talking about who they think will get in?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a podcast but they are planning to release an audio-only version, but a (primarily wrestling) gaming stream that I follow is doing a weekly shoot-the-poo poo-about-wrestling show. They're not really professionals by any stretch, and it gets R-rated in a few spots, but it's alright for a first effort I think.

http://www.twitch.tv/lagspiketv/b/296999766

That's their first show from TwitchTV, though you really don't need the video feed (they bring up a picture of Aksana and JoMo's new shirt at one point, but that's it).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

The Shaman of Cum posted:

i'm glad mark was only on for like three shows. i thought they were funny appearances but that poo poo would get old real fast, imo

Agreed. Mark is a really good guest to have like, once or twice a year. I love the show where Bryan, Vinny, and Mark all slam December to Dismember.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Dynamite Dave Meltzer, in today's daily update posted:

Just a note that the Hall of Fame issue of the Observer will be out on Wednesday. It will be the biggest issue of the year with several major bios. To get the speculation going, there were three people voted into the Hall of Fame this year.

Who all was a first-time nominee this year? I think Dr. Death was really close last year so he might have gotten the extra push in, but I don't know who the other two might have been.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You ought to listen to at least one Christmas show, or at least parts of one, just to get an idea. Like when Bryan says "don't listen to this show, it's awful," your curiosity has to be piqued at least a little. Then you listen to it, and well, he was right.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I miss James from Kentucky.

One of my all-time favorite song drops was the Dueling Banjos with James from Kentucky clips spliced in. As Bryan would say, I HOWLED with laughter.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've seen only a handful of Alvarez matches, and he's not bad. He doesn't have an imposing physique, but for what he was doing (midcard-level matches maybe once a month for his local indy fed) he was good.

As for cat talk, it is a little annoying, but on one level I completely understand. Our family has two cats, and any conversation we have with other cat owners involves about 40 minutes of back-and-forth "guess what OUR CATS did" stories. A supposed wrestling podcast isn't the best place for those stories, but sometimes it's good to break up the humdrum.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Also cat and granny are strictly on the B&V show which is supposed to just be Bryan and Vinny shooting the poo poo and sometimes discussing wrestling.

Also true. I think the best thing Bryan and Vinny ever do is review old bad wrestling, but I'm sure that gets tiring every week.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Goddamn, Cornette was right. He said that wrestling used to be that people would pretend to beat the poo poo out of each other, and everyone thought it was real. Nowadays, people really beat the poo poo out of each other and nobody believes it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
For some reason hearing about Lance Storm going off on steroids again makes me want to re-sub, even though I am currently poor.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
This was several years ago, but back in like 2007 or so, TNA PPVs had fallen to about 20k buys, and Bryan commented on a B&V episode that their free episode had about 10k listens. I can't even begin to conjecture how that would have grown in the five years since, but there's a starting point I guess.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm probably going to re-up soon, at least for a month, if nothing else but to get updated TNA Adrenaline Flushes. Anyone know what volume they're up to right now?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Free Bryan and Vinny show today. I laughed uproariously at Bryan describing Overeem's situation as though it was an incredibly hokey pro wrestling angle.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
That picture is five times funnier with surly Vinny. At least I think that's Vinny.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I have up to Volume 47, I'm a bit sad that they're only up to 52 by now.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Are the Observers or Figure Four newsletters available via Kindle? I'm probably about to resub, and Kindle compatibility would be great news.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

CVagts posted:

Are the Observers or Figure Four newsletters available via Kindle? I'm probably about to resub, and Kindle compatibility would be great news.

Answering my own question, I do remember that Figure Fours at least are available in PDFs, which you can put onto the Kindle. Also a quick Google search showed that certain Figure Fours (from 2010) are on Amazon for 99 cents. So they're probably not available via Kindle explicitly.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
What better time to re-up than to get a new Bruno show. :toot:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Dave has the best sense of humor.

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryTEM5wBw

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Akileese posted:

Gonna be fun to see if Dave responds to Dana calling him out in his vlog.

How did Dana call him out?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Also Dave apparently has a new gig on Grantland (Bill Simmons' ESPN offshoot). Not that they do MMA stories very often (Dave's one article there was about Overeem).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
For anyone who hasn't been a subscriber to F4WOnline in a while: the Bryan and Vinny reviews of the Urban Wrestling Federation PPVs is worth the admission price by themselves.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just re-upped for a month and found one of them exploring the backlog, and then I immediately tracked the rest of them down.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I liked Impact more than most people on this board seemed to, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as "excellent" or "awesome", the first two adjectives I heard used to describe it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Lance Storm is officially a bitter old man of wrestling now (if he wasn't already). It's actually kind of funny.

CVagts fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 16, 2012

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Every once in a while they do a show which is worth your $10.99 all by itself. This is one of those shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Gold Boat is at an advantage because it was on a free show, and I'd imagine it got them quite a few signups.

• Locked thread