Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

https://www.bryanalvarez.com
This sounds fantastic, I'll definitely give it a listen.

Lots of stuff I've never heard of in here, I've only started listening to pod casts this year and I'm burning through a lot at the moment, so I'll have to check most of these out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

In podcast number 3 (Jensen Karp) they mention that Vince once went on a one hour speech about how Wild Hogs was his favorite movie. I think that's really telling.
I listened to that Pod Cast and only after reading your post did I realise which film Road Hog's actually was, you're right this explains a lot, I didn't think Vince would actually buy into this kind of thing as an audience member, I always pictured him more as a self assessed intellectual who would think this kind of thing was beneath him as entertainment. I also thought the content he produces wasn't largely something that reflected his own tastes rather the perceived tastes of his audience..

I think these views need to be re-assessed.

In reference to what Mr. Carlisle said, I don't believe it's intentional self sabotage, I think these people genuinely do believe that their opinion is far more informed and they are far better judges of what is a good idea within the context of the industry and therefore their ideas and opinions are more valid.

It makes you wonder how they justify spending a great deal of money employing a creative team when it seems the vast majority of the ideas, concepts and direction that they spend the time they are being paid for developing is rejected and dismissed so readily and if what we're lead to believe is true eventuates into not6hing tangible within the product most of the time.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 25, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

David Lagana is going to be on Review-A-Wai this week talking about Wrestlemania 19.
This sounds amazing, can't wait.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Lagana was on R.A.W. a few weeks ago talking about Royal Rumble 2005 (Whichever one where Vince tore his quads). It was really cool to hear him talk about the chaos backstage when both Batista and Cena went over the top rope together. Apparently only Cena was supposed to go over, but Batista slipped and they went over together. Vince tearing his quads also changed the TV a bit because Stephanie pretty much became the defacto head of the WWE while he was recovering from surgery. Really neat stuff, I can't wait to hear more about WM19.
I listened to that, for some reason it didn't sink in that it was Dave Lagana.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Also it's hard to reconcile Lagana's podcasts and this picture of Vince as not wanting to be associated with his pappy's wrassling business, because it seems like the old wrassling carnies makes all the decisions of any importance.
I've noticed this too, it's a bizarre paradox.

No matter how hard he tries Vince just can't seem to scrub the carnie from his psyche, you'd think he'd realise that he acts like a well off carnie being the smart guy he apparently is.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I think I'm starting to like the LAW more and more because the hosts' complete hatred of their callers seems to be coming through a bit more every week.

Also Jesus Christ the callers are some of the highest order of aspergers
I found all of their old 2009 shows on a web site and I've been listening to them, there was a hilarious episode where during the Title Belt Trivia segment they had to go through about 15 questions for a contestant to get two right and Justin Pollack sounded like he was about to have a break down.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I love how Mouth and Pollack just poo poo all over Jon of Ark week after week. But yes most of the LAW callers are a bunch of Spergs.
He calls in to this weeks episode with the flu or something and has the most hilarious rape voice.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm totally starting to suspect John Pollock hangs around here sometimes, he's mentioned a couple of things that have reminded me of things posted on this forum, like this week he mentioned he was glad he wasn't the only one who noticed the 'Autin' sign.

Not a great example, but it's the only one I can think of right now.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Are these available by podcast or just live on air?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

The best thing I've learned from Formerly Creative is that Vince's favorite movie is Wild Hogs.
I was most surprised to hear how manhy of the 'Hollywood' writers were wrestling fans anyway and how many who weren't reportedly were so willing and interested in adapting to the wrestling world.

I've really enjoyed these pod casts and it's made me really appreciate just how hard the writers work and it's given me a lot of respect for the writers who managed to stick around for any length of time. I'm amazed that anyone is able to work under those conditions with the minimal amount of perks they get out of their job, at least wrestlers get recognition and fans and the thrill of performing as intensive, where as the writers don't seem to get anything like that.

It's really sad hearing about how little of a life they are able to have outside of their jobs, I hope that financially they're compensated adequately.

They seem like really cool guys mostly and I think Lagana is doing a really good job of his aim to humanise them and give fans an idea of the process they go through with the company and make them think twice about where they direct their criticism.

I can't help but feel bad for them, especially with how passionate the one's Lagana has interviewed seemed about their jobs when a lot of their hard work seems to amount to very little or nothing in the actual product by the time it goes through all of their superiors.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 11, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Is that Chris Benoit song available anywhere?

I know, I'm a horrible person but I really want to hear it in full now.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Lamuella posted:

OK, as someone too poverty stricken to get the Observer, which wrestling podcasts are worth it? I currently get:
LAW definitely, it's informative and definitely entertaining, so it's not all dry news, it's fun to listen to.

Weekly they have the LAW show which is news and discussion for the week in wrestling and a bit of MMA (even though I'm not an MMA fan I don't mind at all, it's just the big stuff and it's interesting to hear about how it functions as a business compared to wrestling), normally an interview on which they've had guests like Scott Hudson, Jim Cornette, Stone Cold and Dave Lagana, phone in questions from listeners to the hosts and a weekly call in with Dave Meltzer for the hosts to ask him some questions on whatever the news items for the week are and for any interesting information about current angles.

Then there's Review a Wai who's podcasts are available with LAW on I-tunes, they used to be part of LAW but they've ended up splitting the two up because of the length recently, however it's all available under LAW on I-tunes. They do three shows a week, one on which they review a Wrestling release like an old PPV, a documentary or a historic Raw or Nitro, another which is a review of the weeks Raw and another of Impact (which is fantastic, I listen to it instead of watching to keep in touch with what's happening with TNA while they do the chore of watching for me). The hosts are really funny on this, they just have a dry sarcastic sense of humor but aren't overly cynical so it's fun to even hear them review the bad stuff. On Review-a-Wai the show where they review Wrestling related media they often have guests who are people involved with whatever event or release they are reviewing.

So that's 4 different free weekly shows available from LAW all of which are of a rather professional quality and are fun but interesting and informative at the same time.

If you're after something a little dryer which is more information based there is the Pro-Wrestling Report produced by ESPN that's been around for over a decade. The host can get a bit annoying in a 'I'm a serious journalist' way but he does the show with David Hero who is the booker and promoter for Great Lake Championship Wrestling who often has some insider information and is much more fun to counteract the host and Frank Cozstantino who offers a more fan like perspective, so the three balance out each others faults. They have a weekly show that is all news and phone discussion and more often than not they will have a guest on for an interview. They have a weekly show and have a post-show for every TNA and WWE PPV. It's produced by ESPN and broadcast so it's pretty professional, the only draw back to that however is it's like a typical radio show with a soundboard which is annoying at times, but I think the good out weighs the bad with this show and it's a good contrast from LAW in some ways.

Those are the two I listen to, they are completely free and all up it's 5 pod casts a week, so it's more than enough.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 16, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I just listened to my first Bryan and Vinnie show ever and although the cat talk is odd I thought that it was fantastic.

Should I listen to the '10 Christmas show next? Or is that not a good choice for a second impression, does it involve any wrestling talk at all?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Good to know, the two episodes I've listened to have had roots music openings which totally set me in a :allears: mood, a wrestling show that opens with roots music totally fits for me too, north American wrestling is just so Americana there's something so definitively American in it's story telling and values.

Edit: Oh god, I sound like Russo trying to go forwards by going backwards.

Can anyone think of any particular Bryan and Vinny shows that were particularly good from the past year?

I seem to remember someone mentioning a rant about a Jeff Hardy bump onto a flaming Christmas tree.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 18, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Grant DaNasty posted:

I like Colt Cabana and his comedy matches, but he comes across as a guy that is trying too hard to be funny.
I'm not a huge fan or anything but Colt is nothing short of charming in every way :colbert:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
It's a trap.

I've often made this mistake too, like I'm sure a lot of us have.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Lagana, on the other hand, is a genuinely great interview. His "Formerly creative" shows are killer.
I'm not saying he isn't but I've never thought of him as a particularly fantastic interviewer, in the formerly creative series (probably the show that least shows off his interviewing skills) I think the appeal lies in just hearing how much the writers who are often presented as warped depictions of what they actually are for the most part are just regular wrestling fans who feel just as frustrated as us about the same things as we're frustrated about in relation to WWE.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

I am listening to the podcast of The Law and I wish these guys would hang up on callers more often.
Jason Agnew seems to want to kill most of the callers.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

Pretty cool interview with Roddy Piper on The Law this week. He seemed to be in an exceptionally good mood. Or maybe it was the fact that it was 11:30 PM and he had probably knocked back more than a few, already.
That reminds me, I haven't listened to the new episode, great to hear that there's a Piper interview. Piper comes off as charming in every interview I've heard with him. The shoot he did with Ric Flair is really kind of sweet, they seem to have such a strong friendship with a lot of mutual admiration for each other.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Deadpool posted:

His position is that changing the name doesn't matter one way or the other and won't affect the company positively or negatively.
He may be right, it really depends, if the name change is the finale of the process we've been seeing over the past few years of removing certain wrestling holds, the preferred vocabulary and the shift of Raw into a live variety show things shouldn't change that much from here.

However if this is all just the beginning of the process... May god have mercy on our souls.

Ah, Bryan and Vinny are great. No matter how bad it gets as long as we still have them the product will be enjoyable on some level even if that level is just listening to them berating it's awfulness, then we can all just stop buying PPV's and buy an Observer subscription and save some cash :)

I was listening to a show from February and Vinny is talking about how Cole and Riley are just ignoring the match they are supposed to be commentating after complaining about this Vinny just pauses for a few seconds in silence and exclaims 'Fuckers!' in a manner full of rage.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

An idiot just got "Where was Wrestlemania 26 Held" wrong on the LAW.
I bet Agnew got their address by telling them they were getting a prize and is going to shoot their house up in the near future. He's so fantastically impatient and angry with callers. I always feel bad when he's a dick to Jon of Ark though, but how nice Dan always is to him makes me :unsmith:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Awesome.

I have to compliment Alvarez on Mania Writers Week, excellent interviews.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Holy poo poo, I marked the gently caress out hearing the Bryan and Vinny show from the 6th open with Robert Johnston's 'Cross Road Blues'.

Who's the roots fan, does anyone know?

I love the rootsy music the show often opens with because I'm a big fan of it.

Roots music :allears:

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 7, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

I actually really liked the Limp Bizkit song with Bryan dubbed over the top. :ohdear:
Probably because less Fred Durst is always an improvement.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The best one was a song about Adam and eve in the garden of Eden and frolicing around where the closing line of the verse was "then he hit eve in the eye with a tater". Vinny let's out the angriest, most confused "WHAT?!" I've ever heard.
Ahhh, pre-depression gender roles expressed through song :allears:

You'd think with all the roots music they play this kind of thing would be common place.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That is slightly odd, isn't it?

Especially seeing as there was one much more symbolically loaded and famous form of vegetation in the garden.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Haha, I loved how Bryan ended up a good five or so minutes behind the rest of the show mentally because he was just basking in the brilliance of his own awful joke.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I was about six inches away from being a guest on After Dark tonight. I had to tell Bryan I couldn't do it about ten minutes ago and holy hell am I disappointed about that. Stay tuned. I may join MassRayPer's club fairly soon.

We're talking.
What were you going to discuss if you don't mind sharing?

Of course I'll understand if you don't want to mention it yet. I keep on meaning to check this pod cast out but I just haven't got around to it yet even though that kind of stuff really interests me.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

Also, the Thriller song was good.
I just heard this podcast, that song was partcilarly awesome.

Also, for anyone who likes the altered B&V show songs Hammond Edgar posted this link in the wrestling questions thread with an archive of some of the songs:

http://angrymarks.com/music/index.php?dir=songs%2F

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I just listened to an episode of After Dark for the first time yesterday, they're pretty good from what I've heard. It's nice having that kind of stuff discussed with a host as down to earth as Bryan as typically these topics of discussion and nutbars go hand in hand.

I used to post on a forum for the paranormal/conspiracies and it's amazing how quickly posting somewhere like that you discover that the image of tin foil hat wearing fruit loops isn't just an exaggerative one.

I swear every fortnight there would be at least one topic posted by someone who claimed to be a werewolf.

I was always battling silly stuff like that via debate over there until someone said I was far too rational and logical for the site and suggested I should post somewhere more like SA and that's how I ended up here!

So next time one of my excessively lengthy posts frustrates one of you you can blame the warewolfs and tin foil hat wearers for sending me here.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 17, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Ed Jackula holy :lol:

EDIT: I like that Vinny does his long summary of the Million Dollar Belt skit, there's pregnant pause, and Bryan pipes in with "What if we just called him 'Count Jackula'?". I died.
I was really hoping Bryan would say "he'll JACK you!' as a Heart Boy throwback reference.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Just finished that podcast and that kool-aid man analogy is loving hilarious. Bryan seems convinced they could literally punch their way through the walls.

I'm not into UFC but I actually found listening to that podcast interesting.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I'm the guest on After Dark tomorrow. Should be fun considering how carefully I have to watch my language. Can't talk about any specifics.

This might be the worst show ever.
Really looking forward to this LL, I've missed After Dark the past couple of weeks and I'll be really interested to hear you on it, plus I'm interested in your topic.

Haha 'The Happy Clowns', that was the BEST thing EVER.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Maybe it's because I've only been listening for a couple of months but I adore Granny.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Because I'm a mega sissy.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Jesus christ Joe, stay away from me and don't you dare even read my posts, you are haunted!

No, but seriously, that was a fascinating interview. You did sound quite nervous but given that you knew you were being recorded for a pod cast and what you were discussing it's totally understandable and I for one would have sounded much, much worse if I were in that situation I have to say.

You definitely didn't come off as a nut bar or anything, you sounded very level headed and sensible in your assessments. You were also not boring to listen to because you were a bit animated with your speech.

I'm also very much of the same mind on the issue as you are despite not having any experiences myself, but my two aunts have had according to them quite a few similar experiences and one of them is even a professional medium and from the stories they've told me I do believe that they are sincere in recounting what they have experienced, but I don't necessarily subscribe to these being encounters of the traditional concept of apparitions.

But jesus loving christ, I hope I never experience anything like you have. I'm most of all impressed that you're brave enough to continue to work there after these experiences. I had to let my dog in to sit with me because of the creepiness of your stories.

Kudos to you though for being brave enough to discuss it as well, you did come off ss very sincere, I don't think I've ever found someone so credible in recounting such things in terms of their demeanour in discussing it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah, I used to go by HVD but changed it a while ago.

The Smackdown review on this week's B&V is hilarious. Between "he could put a paper bag on... each tit"
I just came in to post that, loving hilarious.

'No you got yourself off your game homie!'

That made me laugh so hard, I want Bryan to become a ghetto-rear end rapper.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I can't find Granny on facebook :(

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Akileese posted:

"Granny do you want to give your name so people who aren't Facebook friends with you can find you?"
"No."
I missed that and thought they came to the compromise of five new friends a week.

I would have sent a killer cover letter to be one of Granny's picks for a friend.

Naw, I have a feeling we would have been BFF's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
After hearing Agnew's rant on Kharma on this weeks LAW I'm sold on him just being a prick, what an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread