Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Yeah, he could have expressed the same opinion and I would have thought it was stupid if he had said it with more tact, but the way he said it just made him sound like an ignorant douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Man, I have never felt cooler then I have when listening to listening to the guest reporters on Figure Four Daily talk about the convention. The convention sounds like the worst long weekend out or the most hilarious ironic holiday ever.

It sounds like it's exactly what you'd guess a group of socially retarded wrestling fans would do if hey got together for a party.

Anyway, looking forward to listening to the Kaval interview.

The two or three seconds where Bryan paused after Todd Martin explained a theory about MMA scoring and Bryan responded with 'You know, I said something similar a long time ago and people told me I was a complete idiot' were amazing, as I'd zoned out and thought Bryan had finally snapped and layed an ice burn on Todd Martin.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 3, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Oh man, the fellas on the LAW are doubling down on the Kia Stevens ranting and it gets uncomfortable.
Agnew should have just said he was sorry.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Karmine posted:

I was already starting to get really annoyed with Jason Agnew but this hardheaded poo poo is just ridiculous. That said, it was fun hearing him ask Meltzer's opinion and Meltzer pretty much saying "it's her decision so whatever" was awesome.
That was amazing.

Guys there's a new Wrestlecast interview with Kurt Angle and it has crazy hilarious plugs for Angle foods in it, the interviewer asks him if he's spoken to Brock Lesnar lately and Kurt goes on about how he has a product by Angle foods that aids digestion that he really wans to talk to him about.

Wrestleast, on I-tunes, Check it out.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 10, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That was the first Konnan interview I've ever heard, it owned all of the bones.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That WWWYKNI electro song was amazing.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Also, who has a greater '...,ya, know?' to sentence ratio French Stallion or Meltzer?

I'd say it's competitive.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Wow, listening to Observer Radio really makes PWR sound like an amateur effort. Damien Nelson and David Hero are two of the least engaging/entertaining broadcasters around.

Both their content and delivery are mediocre, I should really get out of the habit of listening.

I think it's just Hero's self absorbed and obnoxiousness that really makes me want to stop listening, although he certainly excels at having the radio look.

It's also really uncomfortably whenever they get a collective nerd boner over Linda.

I wasn't a huge fan of 'Meathead' when he was non the show but he was really important for balancing out the show because he was the only host who didn't sound like a total wrestling shut in.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That's probably a very apt comparison, PWR is for all intensive purposes just filler for the audience in their day as well as their producers air waves while Observer actually reports original information.

Edit: Just listening to the gooncast, I'm too lazy to go back and read who did what but whoever hosted the show did an extremely commendable first effort and if you don't do so all ready you should look into doing this kind of stuff more regularly, you use your voice very well in this kind of environment and you did a fantastic job of mediating the discussion.

MassRayPer, you're very well spoken too but of course that is no surprise.

I would like to hear you put a whole bunch of pitch shift and reverb and just a splash of delay and chorus on HulkaMatt's voice track to give him an aural aura more fitting his board presence.

All expectations exceeded, great job guys, keep it up. I'd be more than happy to listen to this instead of PWR from now on. To be honest I was expecting something much rougher and disjointed, at the start I thought a lack of a formal format would be annoying as an audience member but it really works well with the group dynamic the posters on the podcast have during discussions.

The only thing I would suggest you add is maybe two or three recurring weekly segments through out the show to break the format up and maybe eventually structuring how long you want discussions to last as an approximate before starting a show.

I certainly think after a couple of shows and the addition of more structure you guys could aim much higher than making your podcast exclusively for the forum if that was something you were interested in going beyond.

Edit 2: One of you sounds like (I'd imagine) Todd Martin after a six pack.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 25, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
John Pollack on Lowki in TNA: 'The man who was fired on Christmas Eve RETURNS'

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So why doesn't WWE let their wrestlers do the Observer any more or shows like that often but they can do something really open like Art of Wrestling?

Where does WWE draw the line?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
'Todd Martin? ...Exciting.'

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 29, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Speaking of the bird.

'Now THAT I would think of every time I see a black bird.'

Dave's a really funny guy sometimes when his dry delivery doesn't stop something he says registering as a joke.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm on THE BOARD for the first time, where do I find the Adrenaline Flush compilations?

Are the any other essentials on the board like Adrenaline Flush or in the Archives?

Edit: I also want to listen to the shows with Bryan's creepy friend who had the dating video on youtube.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 2, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So I listened to the Bryan and Vinny compilation with the wedding talk about Bernt, it was amazing. Brent is a.... specimen.

Can anyone tell me what Colt's podcasts are like if you know nothing about the wrestler being interviewed?

I've only listened to a handful of ones with wrestlers I knew about, from these interviews I'm guessing they may be a little too specific and personal to the relationship between Colt and the interviewie to be accessible if you didn't all ready have some background knowledge on the wrestler.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
All right, I'll have to try them then.

I did really enjoy the Steen interview despite knowing next to nothing.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Is it just me or has Todd been awesome lately?

He's been so much more lively, it's like he's a totally different person.

Edit: Also, on a humorous note I was listening to an observer live from the early 00's and I recognised one of the callers voices, it was the guy from the LAW who always calls up to talk about the Diva's doing the very same a decade earlier to Dave Meltzer. I laughed.

Unsurprisingly Meltzer was much more professional about his interest for that particular facet of pro wrestling.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 20, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

The Shaman of Cum posted:

is it jim from virginia?
You know it, bro.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Yeah, I hope LAW understand how valuable that Meltzer segment is, I'm sure without it their audience would be a lot smaller because there wouldn't be enough redeeming features about the show to justify listening to it. Saying that though, LAW is by far the best free news orientated wrestling pod cast I've come across, although that's not saying much when you look at their competition.

At times it seems like Wai is the only reason I listen to LAW's podcasts, I do enjoy the Mouth a lot too come to think of it and appreciate the role he plays in acting as a counter point and dampening the vivid odour of rear end in a top hat that Agnew emanates. I'd be quite happy to do away with Agnew and Pollack. Agnew is just a ridiculous, ignorant man-child and although Pollack is a decent guy it seems and a hard worker he just tries too hard to be Alvarez 2.0 and has unfortunately not realised yet that he does not have the charisma to pull it off.

Oh and concerning Granny:

I've been a subscriber to the Observer since the start of this year and I still enjoy Granny segments, I think Bryan just needs to be more conscious of how to bring out the entertaining aspects of Granny's persona. Doing stuff like the lotto every week is not a good idea if you want to get Granny over with the audience.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Whenever Bryan Alavarez reminds me that he is in fact a minority I think that only if he could be shown to all of the racists of the world they would see all of their conceptions about minorities just aren't true.
He doesn't count, he's whiter than that colgate.

Hell, Bryan is even whiter than I am and I'm pretty loving white, you'd think all of that roots music would rub off some non-whiteness on him.

Oatgan posted:

Todd is hilarious and one of the only things I make sure to catch weekly.
Me too, that week where he said he mixed up his meds (or did I imagine that?) was like a turning point for him in my eyes at least. I found after that show he loosened up a lot and now seems a lot less self conscious when doing the podcasts and is a whole lot more entertaining for it.

He's also a very knowledgeable guy and now that his delivery isn't as dry as it used to be I appreciate it a whole lot more.

Plus, no one is as bad as Dr Lucha and his creepy transparent desire to try and slide himself into the Alvarez family.

I like Bryan and Dave a lot, I'm a bit of a journalism geek so I really appreciate the balance they've struck between information and entertainment, you don't find many with the field skills they both have who can combine it with the sense of personality they both display (yes Dave too, I've been a listener since the start of the year and I've really become accustomed to the nuances of Dave's particular brand of humour).

Now if Bryan could just stop talking about his family and cat's so frequently everything would be just fine.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 10, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Formerly Creative turned in to a circle jerk even WWE would be impressed by.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Todd's review of the Jerry Jarrett book is gold.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

I love, (and the Rock means LOVE), how an Australian superstar was introduced but Wrestling is so shunned in Australia that I HAD NEVER HEARD OF HIM IN MY LIFE. I mean, I had, but I didn't know he was a top drawing babyface. Or, y'know even in Australia in the first place.
Who was it?

I remember my parents telling me when I was younger wrestling was quite popular on Australian weekend day-time TV when they were younger.

LordPants posted:

Wait? Scott Hall killed a man? :stare:
I was zoning in and out while listening and I just assumed I heard the tail end of the discussion and had the wrong impression...Nope! Guess Scott hall killed a guy!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rick posted:

Meltzer laughing about how his career is over if the WWE ever goes out of business on the 25th podcast was hilarious for some reason.

That struck me as a bit odd, I would have though most of the Observer subscribers wouldn't have that great an interest in WWE.

I guess though they provide at least half of the news Observer reports on though and new would be really slow without them.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, if you are hedging your child's future on an indie wrestling organization, you are a lovely parent.
Fair.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I just tried listening to Gabe's appearence on Figure Four, god drat!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm probably alone on this but I've really been enjoying Todd lately.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Waltman has always had pretty solid fundamentals at the least.

I remember watching a 123 Kid match ages ago before I knew Waltman was the 123 Kid (although I'd figured it out by the end of the match) and wondering what the hell happened to such a good performer who had seemingly dissapeared.

I don't think you can ever really say Waltman was bad, just not overly motived. I've never seen an X-pac match where I thought his performance was particularly unwatchable.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I watched one of the older ones last week, it was awful. They both just came off as massive douchebags.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So listening to the last Bryan and Vinny Show I have come to the conclusion that Bryan is an rear end, sometimes he reminds me a hell of a lot of Michael Cole.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 27, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I believe this is the first time Bryan has put up a free edition of F4D with Todd Martin. Most people here hate Todd, but hey, someone might like him!
I really like Todd, I think he and Bryan work well together in an 'Odd Couple' kind of way.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

My god :psyduck:

Bryan was infuriating and seemed to show no awareness of how UFC is actually booked.
This is why I like Todd, he's the only one who doesn't decide it's just easier to let Bryan say stupid things.

Good Listener posted:

So the Briscoes are gonna be on Figure 4 Daily tomorrow. This should be some good good radio coming up if it's anything like last year's Briscoes interview.
Total opposite of what I expected, they were charming!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I have quite a bit of free time at the moment, does anyone have any recommendations from the Observer/F4 archives?

Any reviews of PPV's or shows/interviews that were particularly memorable?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

That, plus my standard answer of the review of the BARBED WIRED CHRISTMAS TREE~! edition of Impact. It's the December 21st 2007 B&V show. It's seasonal too. In that spirit, you could also check out the Christmas shows, if drunken ramblings and unfortunate phone calls are the sort of thing that appeals to you.
Thanks! I wanted to hear this but had no idea what year/time in December it was from.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Adding to this, the reviews of the $1M giveaway episodes of RAW (June 10 and June 18, 2008) are also great.
Fantastic, this exactly what I wanted, specific shows that were really good.

How active was the Observer/F4 during 199/200/2001?

I wish they had stuff from this time archived, it would be really awesome being able to watch old Nitro's/Raw/PPV's and then read or listen to stuff about them from the time.

That and I'm sure the stuff from that time would be really interesting since wrestling was so big.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

The Wrestling Observer Live archive is basically your best window into that period for the next 5 years until the back issues catch up. Once a year Dave is a cool guy and posts a major issue from the past out of the normal back issue schedule, but other than that there isn't much. The WOLs however are great. There are a ton of great interviews plus news and analysis from the era. The March 2001 shows in particular are fascinating, you get to hear the blow by blow of the WCW sale and the lead up to X7.
Are you talking about the one's on THE BOARD or are they archived somewhere else?

And does anyone know if there were any interviews with writers prior to writers week 2011?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 29, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Oh one more archives question, were there any big events that made for big stories that were covered really heavily?

I've already gone through all the stuff about He who shall not be named from morbid curiosity to see how the story unfolded with all the details slowly leaking through.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks, looking forward to the writer podcasts, since I miss Formerly Creative in principle but know deep down that the shows were getting tedious.

Really dug Steen's interview, after watching the ROH PPV and after hearing this interview I have really high hopes of young Steen. He's a smart guy and really has an undeniable passion for what he does which are promising building blocks.

Edit: Nevermind.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 30, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I can't seem to find where the pdf versions of the newsletters are on WO, can someone tell me?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

If you're looking for Observers, there aren't any. There used to be at one time, because the site template they're using had a thing that automatically converted html pages to lovely PDF's and Bryan never bothered to take it out, so you could get them that way. But then people would complain because the formatting on the PDF was all wrong and there were a lot of weird characters and symbols scattered about, which I believe led Dave to get rid of it because for some reason he isn't too keen on having PDF versions of the Observer circulating on the Internet.

Or maybe it's all a plot by Bryan to get some people to actually read his newsletter instead, but the end result is the same.
Odd, you'd think having it in html makes it even easier since all you have to do is copy and paste, particularly if it's just segments.

I would probably keep my subscription much more regular if I could get the newsletters in PDF and read them on a smart phone or even desktop. Maybe it's because I'm impatient but the wall of text really turns me off.

Although at the same time having the PDF convenience isn't enough to encourage me to read F4 instead.

I can't really complain since the podcasts alone are such good value for the fee, but PDF's would be much more professional and I'd be really happy to be able to keep them on my hard drive. A nice compromise would be if he could make the pages a bit easier on the eyes.

Still can't fault Meltzer though, he works far too hard to not do everything he can to protect the fiscal value of his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Borh posted:

I don't have much use for PDF's, though I can see why some people would want them, but I wish Meltzer would just hire a guy to spend a couple of hours every week proof-reading the Observer and fixing up the formatting. Hell, get Vinny to do it. It's not a deal-breaker, because ultimately it's the content that matters and that's far and above anything else that's available, but between Dave's quirky writing style and the abstruse formatting, the Observer can be pretty hard to read sometimes.
As someone who writes I can understand that proof reading isn't as easy as it seems after you've read over something two or three times and you start reading on auto-pilot so I'm not surprised to hear for a genius scatter brain like Dave it's not his strongest suit. Proof reading an entire observer would probably be very taxing so having someone else do it is probably a good idea.

jeffersonlives posted:

As crazy as this sounds, he already has one, Scott Williams. If you think Meltzerese is bad now, you should read some ones from before about 2006.
I'll have to check one out of curiosity.

• Locked thread