Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

But given, his chosen profession is wrestling and MMA and that consumes him to the point he wanted to watch Smackdown in the ICU while he was there with his sick kid.
I don't understand how everyone got this impression of Dave, people seem to have the impression that he was legitimately annoyed that his son had inconvenienced him in this matter.

I did not get that impression at all, I think he was just making it clear that this was the reason why he wasn't 100% up to date with the service WO members pay for and that circumstances were beyond his control. He thought he may as well try and watch it while he was in the hospital since he's so busy but his son didn't want to watch it so he was a good Dad and let him watch whatever he wanted instead and was just explaining the situation to listeners since it seems some of the subscribers get pretty spurgy about when they get certain things.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rick posted:

Isn't Todd Martin just a dude who says what he feels and has no sources? That is pretty good if so to beat Meltzer with all his sources.
I don't think Todd gets enough credit, he's good at de constructing things and normally has valuable input in my opinion.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Maybe Ryder should have let the girl with the engineering degree change the tire.

...I would have.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So it's been a slow week for WO audio and I'm thinking I should branch out from just listening to Bryan and Dave shows.

Are any of the other shows particularly interesting/informative?

Oh and what show does the guy who had the spot in the WO 2011 best moments with the stories about the nutty blind date?

What are his shows like? I enjoyed those stories.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks, Matt.

Jesus christ I'm so loving sick of hearing about Bryan's cats.

The amount of time Bryan spends talking about himself and events in his life that have no bearing on listeners is astounding.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is my fear with subscribing. I already get four and sometimes five shows a week for free with Live Audio Wrestling, and even with my commute and walking the dog every day, that makes me think 'drat I haven't listened to music in a while'.
This happens to me at times I go through heavy podcast stages where I don't listen to music but later I revert and go the opposite way.

It all balances out in the end.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm really late to the party on this but the Art of Wrestling Briscoe episode is amazing.

Every time I hear an interview with them I'm amazed at how down to earth they are.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Glitterbomber posted:

I'm sure it's been asked a lot but if I'm a big fan of LAW and Art of Wrestling should I subscribe to Observer?
It's infinitely better.

I used to listen to every LAW show but since I subscribed to the Observer I don't bother because of it's superiority.

It's much more informative, when you start listening to the Observer you realise how little content shows like LAW have and how much of the show is just listening to poo poo-kickers like Agnew ranting.

Plus if you like the entertainment vale of stuff like Review-a-Wai which I really enjoyed, it has plenty of that with shows like Bryan and Vinny too.

On top of it all, the subscription fee is really reasonable particularly in the sense that you get plenty of value for your dollar(s).

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Bryan's nativity about tainted supplements is absurd.

I got the impression he didn't think winstrall would be used because it's a veterinary drug.

I don't see how this seems impossible when supplements are all ready being proven to engage in the highly illegal practice of spiking their products with controlled substances. When this is happening I really don't think spiking them with veterinary drugs is beyond possibility.

Has this been in the news? This seems like a pretty huge deal having corporations spike widely available products with controlled substances that an average Joe has access too.

Where the gently caress are they getting industrial quantities of these controlled substances that are theoretically very tightly regulated by the government anyway?!

Have I just totally misunderstood this situation? Because this seems like a pretty big public safety issue that has implications beyond the world of MMA and I don't understand how companies proven to have been using these practices are still operating.

Edit: Inadvertent industrial cross-contamination, I guess?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 20, 2012

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

:wirds:
This is pretty much what as said on the podcast, but you were more informative.

I don't pay attention to UFC so it's MMA implications didn't really enter my mind, I was more just shocked that this practice has apparently been documented and continues to happen and it's not a big deal apparently.

That's like Jack Daniels putting MDMA in their whiskey.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

:smug:
Dave :allears:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

maniacripper posted:

Todd Martin makes some decent points it's just that he's arguing against Bryan Alvarez the most obtuse human being on the planet.
Exactly.

Todd is much better at explaining his positions too. Admittedly Todd doesn't know when he should back down because he's arguing with Bryan, but he's on the show to talk about whatever Bryan wants to discuss and it's not really his responsibility to micro-manage the show, it's Bryan's.

I love Bryan, but the guy seriously needs to raise his professionalism up a couple of notches in certain areas.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I thought this was gold.

quote:

Dave Meltzer
But both are also very smart promoters. Cena has been very convincing that he doesn’t like Rock, whether true or not. Rock seems annoyed by Cena.

From the Wrestlemania Observer discussing the build up for Rock and Cena and it's effectiveness.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
From the Observer tonight:

quote:

Dave: I don't like Pole Matches!
Bryan: No one does.

So has anyone seen a Pole match they actually liked?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Dave sounded like such a big kid there. "But I don't like strawberrrrrry!"
True, but I thought it was fair since pole matches really do suck.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Bikeage posted:

Yeah, Vinny came off pretty bad with that, like the Comic Book Guy of smarks (is that implied?). Sitting there with his arms crossed pouting because of the Bryan match.

I can appreciate that watching live one would have lost out on JR and most of their (awesome) facials and subtle gestures, but it was still a hell of a match from an action standpoint.
I understood him, it was very much a fill in your own blanks kind of match as far as the characters motivation for doing what they did, which were really ambiguous even in the promo's building the match up.

It was a great match but the story was really disjointed even with JR on commentary, I can definitely see how the matches story would seem totally disjointed without commentary.

Not that I enjoyed the match any less, but being in the live audience I could see how this would be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Then again, it's Dave Meltzer, so yeah.
That's just the nature of the beast, ya know?

Semiru posted:

I'm not a real wrestling fan because WWE only comes to Australia once a year and most of the time don't even go to Adelaide :smith:

Apparently some of the Australian indies aren't terrible, so I should check one of them out one day.
I went to Nitro in 2000(?) and a WWE show in 2003 (I think) and now I don't bother. The WCW show was actually far superior, decent seats were ridiculous prices in both cases and it's just not worth it for a house show, that and you have to spend a couple of hours in an arena full of wrestling fans.

I don't even consider going to these shows since becoming reacquainted with the product in 2009, if they did a PPV/Raw I'd seriously consider it though, it would be nice to go to a show and be excited because it matters in the storyline continuum. It's probably hard to understand if you're in the US and can see both house shows and televised shows but only having the option of house shows is pretty lame especially when you're paying prices comparable to a live Raw for it.

Edit: Cheap seats are normally just under $100 for context or were last time I went.

Also, WWE released a DVD of the Melbourne show I went to eventually it was something along the lines of 'WWE Global Warming Tour', does anyone know if the DVD was ever available outside Australia?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 11, 2012

• Locked thread