Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

What does Todd Martin bring that warrants a phone call every week?

Vinny's not great but the rapport of Bryan with another guy in studio makes the show good.
Meltzer has content and Lance Storm is Lance Storm.

There's always a ton of redundant reviews of recent news and events and Todd rarely has an interesting take on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

What are the odds that this is the first time Dave Meltzer has put the word "clitoris" in a newsletter?
They did a wacky April Fool's gag in 1999 where he wrote the Adult Video News.

e:

LordPants posted:

The Hall of Fame show was interesting.

Edge getting in but not Sting? That feels... I dunno. I guess my perceptions of pro-wrestling are wrong.
I suspect the Hall of Fame voting base is made of relatively few WCW guys and many of them worked or watched dozens more matches with Edge than Sting.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 7, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

We're never going to find out who the giant wrestling superstar was.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I wish the writers would have just kept doing an appearance on F4W every now and then. I was always really interested in those, before Formerly Creative.
Lagana is a lax interviewer. Gregory Iron did Art of Wrestling and it was much more interesting than when he was with Lagana.

Bryan comes loaded with newsletter stuff and questions from The Board so he gets much more out of an interview.
Even if he did let the 90210 guy bullshit about the ratings not dropping. :argh:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hall of fame observer is up. Shall we talk about it in this thread or elsewhere?
I vote in here because a bigger thread opens it up for people who don't care to learn how Observer voting works and they will make stupid complaints about Dave.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'd bet against getting in next year but I feel like Cena will do much better among active wrestlers than reporters.

He's friends with a lot of people and guys like Jericho go out of their way to praise his abilities beyond working an ungodly amount of shows and charity dates.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The list of top 10 vote getters from active/retired wrestlers is really interesting.

Edge can't crack the top 10 among active guys.
Active or retired, nobody likes Sting.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

Can you give us the lists instead of just hinting at them?

Top 10 vote getters among various groups posted:

ACTIVE WRESTLERS
1. Steve Williams
2. Atlantis
3. Curtis Iaukea
4. Kent Walton
5. Jesse Ventura
6. Curt Hennig
7. Rock & Roll Express
8. Carlos Colon
9. Owen Hart
10. Gorilla Monsoon

FORMER WRESTLERS
1. Dick Murdoch
2. Curtis Iaukea
3. Assassins
4. Gene & Ole Anderson
5. Jerry Jarrett
6. Ivan Koloff
7. Edge
8. Fabulous Moolah
9. Rock & Roll Express
10. Jesse Ventura

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ChampRamp posted:

Hey, going from 20% to 42% is pretty good.
True.
I just find the wrestler voting to be more interesting and focused on that.

I would have figured Sting had trouble getting support because voters are more WWE than WCW guys, but Edge barely beat him which flies in the face of that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LordPants posted:

Is piracy really the reason Edgar/Maynard III tanked? I mean, really?

I could pirate all this bs, but I don't, but if it's a big UFC, like UFC 137 was going to be I would buy it.

A completely different mentality in society? Dave is sounding like an old man now.
I think piracy (among other things) has eroded the guaranteed 250K buys UFC could rely on if they aired a pillow fight.

Dave readily admits Edgar is not a draw.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Todd shamelessly defending TNA was kind of sad.

Well it's not like the Robert Roode build was that long.
And if it wasn't Bound For Glory nobody would care.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

I don't understand how Lance can rip UFC so much for Chael Sonnen who sat out an entire year due to PEDs and still watch WWE (and think about giving Impact another try) when one hands out 30 day suspensions for first failures and the other does absolutely nothing.
He admits that it's unreasonable but it would take a lot to make him stop watch wrestling.

UFC is the only sport he's ever followed and only for X years, rather than his life's passion and 20+ year profession.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I really wish Bryan and Dave recapped a Chikara event.
Even if they poo poo on it, I think it would create an entertaining show.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't get Evolve.
The whole win-loss premise doesn't work when they run so few shows.

What are they doing that King of Trios, Battle of Los Angeles, DDT, etc. aren't already fitting into a single weekend?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Art of Wrestling 68: Daniel Bryan

Bryan rides with Sheamus and Ted Jr.
Who does Regal ride with?

This episode contains a brief appearance by CM Punk off mic!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Every part of the Chikara recap is gold.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Some dissension teased between John Pollock and Wai Ting on this Monday's Review-A-Raw. They seemed legit mad at each other over the 'This is Your Life' segment.

I'm about halfway through the Memphis Heat Review-A-Wai and they're kinda selling me on it.
Has anything in the past few months of The LAW reached the hilarity of the Kharma pregnancy rants?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

And no-one likes Shoot Promo.
The sound quality is on par with the comedy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ChampRamp posted:

Does anyone know anything about the QB test in the NFL thing Dave was talking about? I have no idea.
I didn't hear it mentioned in the Raw recap show, but was it the Wonderlic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test#Use_in_the_NFL_Combine

e: Why couldn't you say drug test so I didn't look like a complete fool? :argh:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 23, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Anyway I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about with this very old DC television report about NFL QBs testing positive that was ultimately shown to be true.
But nobody cares about steroids outside of baseball so I can totally believe this happened and the media moved on.

Based on context it may have come up during the Waxman hearings.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bryan's disdain for AJ's jumping slayed me.

"She's just a natural heel."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

maniacripper posted:

When Bryan does the Bingo Granny bit he mentions a new New Age Outlaws shoot. Does anyone know where to get it? The RF Video and Highspots versions are both pre-2007
http://outlaws.thisiswrestling.com/dvd/

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Caught up with the last 2 Art of Wrestling episodes. Foley was kind of disappointing, though all his best stories have been told already.

It's hard to compete with Tommy Dreamer's grandfather running in and his aunt putting a hit on Bill Demott.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Ya know? Like, like, ya know, like, ya know, like like like like etc

They need to hire someone else to speak for Meltzer or just read his written words. It seems to be getting worse.
They think the fans enjoy Dave's off the cuff commentary and don't see a reason to make a change.
That's the mentality.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bryan convinced he could train his cats to run the ropes better than K^2 needs to be in the best of 2011.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Granny's Excedrin ad was amazing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Bryan describing Super Mario Bros. in terms of the Noguiera-Mir fight is amazing.
Which show was this?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I generally believe Todd is trying too hard to be contrarian when expressing terrible opinions but this was just weird.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

LordPants posted:

My god :psyduck:

Bryan was infuriating and seemed to show no awareness of how UFC is actually booked.
He seems to have corrupted Dave's opinion of UFC on Fox 2.

Dave: They have 3 fights where, ya know, they would very much prefer one guy to win. That's not good booking for a real sport, but that's the mentality.

Bryan a week later: If one guy gets a title shot with a win the other guy should too!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Holy poo poo.

I heard the podcast and thought it was just a dumb family thing or stitches, not an overnight in the ICU.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The highlight was Vinny's growing anger from reading the ingredients of the health food.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The front page photo on F4W amused me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

DKP has an interview with STEEEEEN~! I haven't listened to any of this Christmas Shows but that's the 3rd in the last week!

Also we did another pspcast finally.
I got back in around WM25 so the 2008 recap was really interesting.

e: Wait what the gently caress. How does a scramble match end?
Wikipedia says the Unforgiven 2008 WWE scramble went 20:00 and the WHC scramble 17:17.

Did they just say the show was over after 17 minutes?

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 30, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Arbite posted:

I was going to say that having Dave's off the cuff story about attacking a water polo player in the water and discovering they had "Like, super strength in there" was a weak #1 for best of 2011, then I realized what I was typing.
I'm not a huge fan of Todd Martin but his extensive analysis of the lawsuit against Homicide was classic.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Latest Observer has a great look into the mind of Bischoff.

quote:

In a conversation I had with Eric Bischoff before Jericho decided to leave, when bringing up guys who should get a shot at moving up and his name came up, Bischoff was decidedly negative on him, saying that in a real fight that his teenage son (who now wrestles in TNA and was a karate student of Ernest Miller) could take Jericho.
Clearly Garrett never called Jericho's mom a goof.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

Wait a second I thought Bischoff claims he has never spoken to Meltzer ever!
I really enjoyed his book, "Dirtsheets! :argh:"

quote:

- these dirtsheet distributors (I have a hard time referring to them as writers)

- It was certainly confusing for the limited intellectual bandwidth of the dirtsheet community

- Of course, I was criticized [for putting Hogan/Goldberg on TV] in the dirtsheets. But at that point if they criticized me, it usually convinced me that I was doing the right thing.

- the parasitic life forms that call them-selves writers and editors have been able to make a living off dirtsheets.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

Sticking to his guns.

The thing with the Georgia Dome match was that it was on a Nitro that TNT just opened up several new markets. That Nitro was looked at like a PPV on Monday.

Still, YOU DON'T SUDDENLY GIVE AWAY GOLDBERG VS. loving HOGAN.
What's great is that Eric could completely wash his hands of that mess and blame it on Hogan's creative control.
The match was Hogan's idea to make himself look like a huge draw in front of Turner execs.
Eric was on board with it, but it's not like he had any leverage to convince Hogan to lose a month later on PPV.

Instead Eric will go to the grave defending a poorly promoted match that sold 2,000 additional tickets and let them beat Raw for 1 week. :wcw:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

He couldn't because Hogan's creative control couldn't change the match from a dark non title match (Hogan's idea) to a TV main event title match (Eric's idea.) I guess he could because he is an idiot, but that would piss off his buddy Hogan.
I checked Death of WCW earlier and it's Hogan's idea to move the match to TV.
But yeah, he wouldn't criticize Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

When does the awards issue of the Observer come out? I can't wait to see who wins the coveted "most disgusting promotional tactic" award. :allears:

Smart money is on Christian losing the title the week he won it.
How can it be anything but letting Jeff Hardy work Victory Road rather than replacing him?

Google suggests the awards issue comes out mid to late January every year.

• Locked thread