Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I think this was before the merger, Bryan tried doing a 15 minute news update every single day. The only problem was he didn't really have news to talk about every day, so a lot of the updates were a bunch of non-news.

Not sure if they still do that, I hadn't noticed if that's the case. I thought now it was just him and Dave doing Observer Radio a few times a week, plus all the other wacky B shows.

He originally did Figure 4 Daily nearly daily with interviews and news updates. He stopped for years and just did interviews. Then in late 09 he started again and stopped after a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TNA should use Dave's line from tonight's show as their new tagline:

"It's beyond incredible... it's TNA!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Meltzer sounds like he was so loving happy to see just three matches at that ROH show live. Happier than I have heard him since Bryan got married. Maybe happier than on that show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

The more I hear the less I want to work at WWE.

I do because it seems like a lawsuit in the making.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Michael Cole is ever found dead we know who the police should investigate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance Storm's proposed Mae Young storyline made today's show awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oasx posted:

That is what bothers me also, it just seems strange to be friends with all these interesting people and then not talk about what the listeners want to hear, for example having Samoa Joe there would be a perfect time to honestly ask him about how TNA is using him, instead its just the same old buddy talk.

Also is it just me or did CM Punk come off as a real rear end in a top hat in his episode?

Why would Joe kill any chance he has of ever getting a push? He's only a big dumb baby in storyline.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You need to pay for these insider bowling scoops.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Big scoops this week: 90210, bowling, trendy clothes, drag racing and cinema.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Mania Week creative Figure 4 Dailies are so much better than Formerly Creative. Bryan is a far superior interviewer. This isn't to say Formerly Creative is bad, the Mania Week shows are just far more entertaining.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frilled Lizard posted:

I am sooo close to buying a subscription. The free shows have been spectacular. I loved the argument about whether Kane playing the trumpet trombone on free TV was stupid because now if he does it on the PPV it won't be as exciting. "THEY ALREADY GOT IT FOR FREE!!!" Big laffs.

By not subscribing you missed the scoop that Bryan has been corrected on the trumpet/trombone issue and if the correction had been rude he would have continued calling it a trumpet out of spite.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hate Wrestlemania because it means we don't get a Bryan and Vinny review of Impact.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

elf help book posted:

Just replay a random old one and it'll probably make just as much sense.

With Daniels returning to lead into Lockdown, Jarrett and Angle feuding, Sting as world champion and god knows what else the current TNA product may be pieced together from previous lovely Impacts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

I never knew that Karl Stern was a kayfabe name.

God, I will never stop laughing at Bryan's rant on the word roof.

Wait til you find out Dave Meltzer's shoot name.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Is it "Dave Melter"?

James from Kentucky taught us all that Dave is his middle name, his full name is Dynamite Dave Meltzer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Is he a member or does everybody remember him from WCW Live?

He was an imfamous caller on Wrestling Observer Live as well.

http://f4w.wikia.com/wiki/James_from_Kentucky

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

The second W stands for Wrestling. What got removed was the word Federation.

The second W doesn't stand for anything anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I enjoyed the I Want Wrestling podcast with Cary Silken, the owner of ROH. It's cool hearing how he's an old school wrestling fan, I didn't know that.

Not only that but he met Luke Williams while he was in Puerto Rico and Luke was booking. They became friends and that is why Bushwhacker Luke was on several shows in 07 and 08. A lot of people assumed Cary didn't know anything about the business when he fired Gabe and took a more active role and it turns out he is a lifelong fan and knows the business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

listened to Karl Stern for the first time today.

that's about all I can say about that.

Karl Stern grows on you. I first listened to his show two years ago and thought "That was horrible... he wasn't prepared, has no charisma and didn't cover any interesting topics!" I gave him a chance months later and started enjoying it. He really shines when he talks about the Pioneer Era.

Also the new back issue covers Rumble 94 and the feedback results are really telling:

ROYAL RUMBLE '94

Thumbs up 120 (28.9%)

Thumbs down 262 (63.1%)

In the middle 33 (08.0%)

BEST MATCH POLL

Harts vs. Quebecers 108

Royal Rumble 41

Tatanka vs. Bigelow 32

Yokozuna vs. Undertaker 30

Ramon vs. IRS 17

WORST MATCH POLL

Undertaker vs. Yokozuna 131

Royal Rumble 51

Tatanka vs. Bigelow 39

Ramon vs. IRS 29

Based on phone calls and fax messages to the Observer as of Tuesday morning, 1/25. Margin of error: Who really knows?

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 7, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

This just makes me think about what's going on today with the WWE dropping wrestling from their name and how it's going to kill the business. Back in 94, people were having the same wrestling vs entertainment argument, just about the undertaker.

Dave actually discusses how the reaction was polarized. Most people, the traditional wrestling fans thought the show was awful and insulting. The sports entertainment fans liked it a lot. Negative to positive feedback was 2 to 1, but there were still fans who loved the show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Waltman F4D interview really is fantastic. I almost forgot all about it, and I am glad I did not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You get access to every new Observer, every back issue since June of 2008, a new back issue from the early 90s every week (plus every back issue posted from 91-94), the Figure 4 Weekly newsletter, and all of the podcasts.

That is a lot of podcasts!

3+ Wrestling Observer Radios every week.
2 Bryan and Vinny shows.
Multiple Figure 4 Daily shows each week with interviews, news, Dr. Lucha and Lance Storm.
Five Star Radio 4-5 times per month with MMA breakdowns, news, analysis and hatred toward Armenians.
Dr Keith Presents with wacky stuff every week or so.
Tough Talk for more MMA news and interviews once or twice a month.
Bryan's new MMA interview show every other week.
The Big Audio Nightmare with puro, indies and hockey.
Karl Stern once a week with classic wrestling and WWE comics reviews.

That's a lot of stuff!

Plus while the Board in general sucks if you search "dave" in the username search you will get Meltzer's posts on the board which are usually informative or hilarious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

I like the Board. It's a fun alternative to this place. It's unmoderated and more snarky and angry. Plus name another forum where you can troll Lance Storm.

Or the dream of every man: a place you can be trolled by Lance Storm.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
THE BOARD is also home to the Observer Live archive (and other compilations) which is a great, great way to listen to even more audio. The last time I was sick I spent a few days listening to a bunch of WOLs from March of 2001 and relived the purchase of WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does anyone else now avoid this thread before listening to new B&V shows to avoid rant and joke spoilers? I don't care about Smackdown spoilers, but I need to avoid reading spoilers about what pissed Bryan off!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
gently caress, someone got some Todd in my Storm.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

Refresh my memory: who is Jez?

The video game guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I confused rovert with markren, who is just a bad poster and overall dumbass.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I did a Google search there are tons of threads about people trying to find it. The only hope may be to petition Dave to rip it, which won't likely happen.

With Dave's technological savvy this would lead to him tearing the VHS tape out of the black plastic and shoving it into his computer's floppy drive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's right.

Yeah. Christian is a better interview, but Jeff Hardy oozes charisma. He oozes other things too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Usually when Dave and Bryan do a ton of shows in a row they say they don't know how they'll be by the end but it won't be pretty. This time however, they were so insane and hilarious tonight that the next three days should be something else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Alright, I finally signed up. Where are these fabled adrenaline flushes?

The Board, Radio Shows, Compilations thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

And again, thanks.

E: Holy poo poo these things are like 3 hours long.

Amazingly they get shorter when Impact becomes a 2 hour show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Akileese posted:

Bryan had to point out that Dave came out with the Wrestlemania buyrate "off the top of his head". How the hell did he even pull that off?

Bryan is horrible at math so Dave doing basic calculations is mind blowing to him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bikeage posted:

And the video dating ad he did was in the related videos!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY60wbTotIc&feature=related
A legend, that Brent Kremen.

I've always been slightly amazed that Brent never found a second career as a TV pundit. Well, first career I suppose.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Korak posted:

I think someone sends this question in every once in a while and I'm fairly sure they still haven't been smartened up about it.

So sad to see the gimmick "The Frugal Canadian" Bret Hart never got over.

It has only been asked once. At least, they have only been oblivious to it once.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

Granny was such a bitch tonight.

I used to love Granny segments but I skip them most weeks these days. I listened to half of today's segment and then had to skip it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The first half of MVP's 90 minute interview with Lagana is up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The story of his friendship with Benoit is really devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I didn't know cell phones did that so I have never noticed it. Dave's kids in the background of the last show did amuse me though.

• Locked thread