Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

That 2001 interview was amazing in many ways, but hearing them ask Don Frye about Brock Lesnar sure is odd. Further research shows that Brock had been signed to WWE in 2000, so drat has Brock being in WWE for a long time (with some unimportant breaks of course).

Poor Bryan

What's weirder is they had Cena on the show twice during that period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Has any wrestler in history had more chances to have great matches than Randy Orton?

Given how thin the roster was for years there's plenty of people. I mean look at Misawa or Kobashi and how many great workers and good tag dynamics they got. If you compare on a percentage basis Roman Reigns has had more of a chance as well. Thinking back Randy's had so many spots where he had a chance to get hot and have great matches only to get cut off. He was red hot when he kicked Vince only to end up in a feud with Shane, then Hunter in a Hunter's Match Match, followed by a six man involving more McMahons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

I couldnt begin to imagine a HoF speech on Randy going over his career. Like he's The Viper but as a character he's just Randy and Randy has always lacked direction except for his very very early career (Legend Killer, and hzyis injury skits... guess you could include Legacy here but that gimmick was "sobs of hall of famers"). Its like that Red Letter Media with describing Star Wars Phantom Menace's characters without referencing age, gender or job - describe John Cena, Kurt Angle, Roman, Brock, Braun or CM Punk to someone who has never watched wrestling before... then describe Randy.

Bald guy with a great body, always wears trunks, lots of tattoos, cold, calculating, and doesn't make a bad movie review show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

How would you describe Roman? "Is strong, thinks he's strong" or something?

Good looking, PoC, hated by white people, confident, great father, bad jeans, likely home owner.

Good pupper 13/10.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

You're not supposed to describe physical appearance either

So you couldn't get an out w/ Queen Amidala

That's because it is a lazy rubric created by terrible reviewers that ignore some of the most important aspects of connecting with characters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

It's easier in some cases than others. Half in the Bag is like 30% superhero films for describing those characters with their looks or job is pretty tough in a lot of those films.

To bring it back to wrestling, compare Randy Orton and DDP (in WCW). Same finishing maneuver but DDP had a character a million times deeper than Orton.

"Hardworking man of the people." Much, much deeper than "Sadistic, cold blooded career killer."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sorry I have been watching 2000 Thunders and confused Mike Awesome "The Career Killer" with Randy Orton "The Legend Killer."

The real career killer is Vince!!!!!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Orton needs to be repackaged as That 90s Guy. He could talk like Adam Sandler, wear a vest over a t-shirt, and use that Del Amitri song as his entrance music.

But he looks like That 2000's Guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

I would be stunned if 2000 episodes of Thunder existed.

The TBS Thunder page that said the show was on hiatus is now down which means Thunder is being made again and they are up to episode 2029.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Sunday WOR made it really clear he was going to die this week and I've been a little crushed ever since.

In case you've never seen the classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I didn't make it up in my head that the guy who found Lance after his fall called Dave Brown, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Thanks. Writing it helped me and it seems like a lot of people have gotten something out of it.

Kris Zellner, Beau James, and I recorded a podcast about Lance that we recorded Tuesday night and put it up Wednesday: https://soundcloud.com/btspod/exile-on-badstreet-43-yello-everybody-lance-russell-tribute-with-david-bixenspan-beau-james

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/915746013549404161

Would rather stab myself in the ear than listen to Beau James talk about anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Beau's a dingus but when it comes to the TN/WV wrestling histories he's 2nd only to Ron Fuller. PLus he's gonna die within the next 2 years so its not like he gives a single poo poo about who he offends.

I tried to put aside the fact he's an egotistical, unlikable fat little violent troll who claims he shoots on random people and listen to his podcast and it was still unlistenable. He's probably the only person who could talk about Lance Russell and make it uncharming.

Edit: Beau James looks and wrestles worse than he sounds, hell he may be a worse wrestler than a person but I love to watch that man's horrible wrestling. I miss SSW.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 5, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He gives himself cute nicknames?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

Too bad they had to give it away on free TV and issue a ton of refunds for the show. Truly a great time to be a wrestling fan that couldn't afford both WWE and WCW PPVs as WCW gave away their two best matches of the year on Nitro.

In what world was that one of the two best matches of the year for WCW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

Mistyped, meant to say "two of their" not "their two".

I like the match but I'm not sure it squeezes into my top 10 for the year in WCW.

For world title matches it's the best "wrestling" match they had that year though and as luck would have it the best world title match WCW had in 99 was on Nitro too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's rehashing a lot of stuff I've heard before but it's always neat to hear them again, and Meltzer gets so enthused talking about it.

"He'd call Lou Thesz and tell him he was lying about 1931!"

It was kind of weird when Dave of all people didn't remember the timeline.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

a cease and desist is not a lawsuit. it's a letter. please cease and desist this post. now my post is a cease and desist

Not only that the cease and desist was sent after the photo was posted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The real scandal is Dave didn't know anything about the 87 Secrets of Wrestling special.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

I can't even tell what's real or fake on these forums anymore because I'm now seeing posts where people think Jinder will get a lick of offense on Brock.

Serious talk: it's Brock, nobody will get to look good against him till Roman next year, and the whole point of "Raw vs. Smackdown" angles is to make sure Raw looks better at all times. Brock ain't showing up for a non-title match unless he gets to sleepwalk through an easy 5 minutes.

Generally Smackdown either wins more of the matches or wins the big match in a Raw vs Smackdown feud or show so that WWE can pretend they are trying to make Smackdown appear equal even when it is not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Tuesday Nitro post show has stumped Dave two weeks in a row, very ashamed he didn't know anything about Blood Circus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Revenant Threshold posted:

Wasn't there much the same story about wrestlers not getting the same payoffs for PPVs thanks to the network? The last I heard of it was, supposedly, WWE was going "oh we'll totally sort that out, don't worry about it" to them and then nothing else.

They get the same pay off on PPVs...

There's just barely any PPV buys anymore due to the Network and they don't get paid on the Network at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

That was PPV bonuses I believe, and yeah nothing ever changed with that despite them promising to address it

These need to be understood for what they are. They aren't a bonus, they are a percentage of what wrestler pay was determined off. WWE removed an entire revenue stream that accounted for a significant portion of their talent's pay and replaced it with something else they do not pay them for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

If somebody wants to make a new thread with an updated OP linking to the various podcasts/wrestling media stuff that has basically exploded out onto the internet in the six years since this thread was made, I'll close up this one. Otherwise this thread is fine to continue on as it is.

What was the first big regular wrestler podcast anyway? First I can recall being aware of was The Steve Austin Show which started up back in 2013, but did the MLW stuff precede that?

The Art of Wrestling was the first really breakthrough one although there were earlier ones.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

ahem Bryan Alvarez is a former wrestler

The Buddy Wayne shows were very important to the development of the wrestler podcast.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The new Big Audio Nightmare is fun and features Adam encountering Barbarian in the bathroom.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

I wonder what Dave's conversations with Vince were like, back when Vince used to call him up.

They were about bodybuilding. Not a joke.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Proud of Dave for inciting the MAGA profa chuds out there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dave's ratings should not be considered authoritative unless he is giving Roman Reigns a four plus star match in which case Dave is right

Hopefully Dave gives the TLC match a higher rating than Finn/AJ because Roman should have been in it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

All Legions are very pro MAGA. Supporting PWG is supporting Trump in the long run.

PWG is taking their turd money and funneling it into Super Dragon's woke activities before it can get to WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Enjoy a very frustrating listen when Dave totally misses the boat on talking about UFC joining a streaming service

Sounded like he covered literally every angle possible from them not having any offers on the table from the major players from one to how much exposure they'd get to if in 3 years that might be the way to go to who their current suitors are and that one of them would have them running streaming only events. What else would you want?

He completely missed the boat on my question and is now 0-3 in answering Tuesday Nitro questions. I do hope he someday asks Terry Funk about his gig on Beyond Belief though!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ab and Thighchat hit the spot for me today.

That was awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

why would the UFC join a streaming service when they've got one of the best curated streaming services on the market?

Dana suggested that they will listen to offers for their TV deal from OTT services. They have no such offers and are just trying to drive up the price.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

It just went on and on. I wish they would replace Figure Four Daily with Filthy Tom and Body Guy Dave talking butts and abs

Dave shouldn't lower himself by talking about that stuff with drug cheats.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave isn't a bragger so he made that his first ever non quote tweet reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If my wife ever put up a Beatles poster in the World Headquarters of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter I'd be sure to remind her how much better the Crush Gals were.

• Locked thread