Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

https://www.bryanalvarez.com
I haven't listened to week 3 yet, but how in the blue hell did you wind up being interviewed by Alvarez?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I thought Dave's gimmick was long winded super serious answers to clearly joke questions.
It is. People just don't understand his sense of humor and think he's an ignorant nerd.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

My personal favorite is probably Bryan's rant about baseball or Bryan getting pissy cause someone called him out on his pronunciation of the word "roof".
Who pronounces roof "rough", though?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Every Christmas, Bryan and Vinny get completely shithoused, open presents from fans and drunk dial a bunch of their industry contacts. Last year Bryan blacked out and at one point came to after eating a bunch of Costco muffins with no idea what had happened for the last hour.

Get drunk and listen to this. It's incredible.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Their archives are pretty hosed. Their whole site is, really. When you click on a news update, even if you're a subscriber, there are seven-or-eight pages trying to sell you on the Observer issue you already bought before getting to the news.

The site has a pretty huge learning curve and THE BOARD has too many drat huge signatures, but it's still definitely worth it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Somebody transcribe that for the poor people among us.
Transcribe an hour of audio? I'm not going to be doing that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HulkaMatt posted:

Came here to post this. Laughed quite loudly.
The best part is that later in the show Meltzer calls back to it and suggests Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett have a falls count anywhere match on an iceberg.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I am surprised that the hardest I laughed during the Bryan and Vinny show wasn't the burial of TNA, but instead Vinny's burial of DGUSA.
I about lost it at the "Let's call the whole thing off" song.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Remember when Bryan tried doing daily news updates?
Audio updates? Because they still do daily news updates.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm honestly shocked I'm not the only person alive aside from Jeremy Borash who remembers James from Kentucky, the kayfabe chicken plucker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is he a member or does everybody remember him from WCW Live?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's great stuff. I miss that guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was about six inches away from being a guest on After Dark tonight. I had to tell Bryan I couldn't do it about ten minutes ago and holy hell am I disappointed about that. Stay tuned. I may join MassRayPer's club fairly soon.

We're talking.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sue Denim posted:

What were you going to discuss if you don't mind sharing?

Of course I'll understand if you don't want to mention it yet. I keep on meaning to check this pod cast out but I just haven't got around to it yet even though that kind of stuff really interests me.
Short answer? Ghosts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Son of a bitch.

I just listened to the BV show and Bryan plugged me for After Dark next week and I don't even know if the interview is going to happen.

So here's the deal:

I work for a theater chain in Seattle that's housed mostly in super-old buildings. Two of which are on plenty of "ghost tours". The other night I asked Bryan if, since he lives so close to Seattle, he would like me to ask for permission to tour the joints with him on video for the site. This was, I think, Tuesday.

Thursday night rolls around and it's about twenty minutes before I posted my last post in this thread. Bryan tells me he's very interested but would rather do an interview on Friday's show first. Naturally I decline as though I'm only a fill-in guy these days at the theater chain I don't want to step on any toes. I tell Bryan that I can't do the interview Friday since I don't have permission yet.

This chain has allowed tons of people to tour their "haunted" theaters for publicity. I don't think it'll be a problem.

So now that I know I have Bryan's interest I email the chain's district manager and give her the skinny. "There's this podcast... blah blah... hauntings... blah blah... publicity... blah blah." The response I received tonight? A big fat raspberry. Goose-egg. She tells me that only corporate can talk about the company and that HR and PR are the only people who can make statements on behalf of the chain. I can't say how without getting anybody in trouble, but the message is as plain as day to me:

"Why the gently caress did you ask me permission? Now I have to say no!"

Were I to have just done the loving interview I would've been at no risk whatsoever. I'm not even technically an employee anymore. There's nothing they could have done to me and I could've plugged the theaters and their website and everything would've been fine.

Once again, I'm screwed for trying to do the right thing.

Bryan plugged my ghost stories at the end of the show this week (though he was sufficiently vague, so nobody's going to crucify him over not having me on or anything) and I have basically nothing. I emailed the man about twenty minutes ago and gave him the skinny, telling him I could do the interview so long as I didn't mention my theater chain's name or name the actual buildings themselves. I then went on to tell him how I realized that would likely make for very lovely radio but that if he wanted to do the interview I'm experienced with language and could be sufficiently vague.

So either I wasted a bunch of the dude's time by not taking the interview on Friday and made him look like a tool for plugging something that won't happen or I'm going to be a part of the most hop-scotchy interview he's ever done outside of the wrestling business.

gently caress.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

True, but Washington state is an "At Will" work state so they can fire me for literally no reason and get away with it. Furthermore I don't have regular work with them at the moment anyway. It's a highly sought-after job and when the economy poo poo the bed all of the folks that had moved on came back and bumped me further back in line. Now I run my own business outside of this job and that's where my income comes from these days and my wife's been bugging me to let go of all hope of ever being given the promotion I've been waiting, no poo poo, one third of my life for, since I run my aforementioned company, but DJing and Karaoke-ing might be awesome and pay the bills just fine right now and I get paid a retarded amount of money per hour, but it comes with no benefits and I absolutely can't take care of a family on that money nor can I retire on it.

So you can see why, living in Washington State, I don't want to anger these folks.

Buh. I told Bryan what was up and he'll either confirm or deny. That's pretty much where I stand.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I stopped watching TNA when Christian left only returning for the Monday Night shows. TNA is loving horrible without him and Dave is just plain wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm the guest on After Dark tomorrow. Should be fun considering how carefully I have to watch my language. Can't talk about any specifics.

This might be the worst show ever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

What's this about? Are you a space man?
Ghosts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I started skipping Granny segments about six months ago and I haven't missed them. She's a sweet lady but the novelty kind of wore off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Interview didn't go super-great. Definitely gonna' have a few before I give it a listen.

Not up yet but it should be soonish unless it was so bad it doesn't make it to air.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, it's weird. I spend ten+ hours a week on a microphone in front of complete strangers and it's never a big deal. One phone call with Bryan and I sounded terrified the entire time. Oh well. Got to be on a pretty cool podcast about crazy people as said crazy person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They have a song where they say "gently caress Jack and Jerry Brisco" in it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LordPants posted:

Did anyone else get a massive hard on for Lance Storm's booking on the latest show?
My subscription lapsed and I'm still waiting on a paycheck from a month ago. What'd he have to say?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Space Cob posted:

Lance Storm fantasy booking.
I'm happy the guy retired early and lives well, but gently caress I wish he was a booker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

He is.
I realize that, but I'm pretty sure you knew I meant I wish he was a booker for an actual wrestling company and not a Canadian Indy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think Dave just went nuts.

Meltz posted:

-Not that this has anything to do with wrestling, but the old TV series "Dallas" is returning for a ten episode run on TNT with a story at http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/08/tnt-dallas/ I got a ton of e-mails I guess because people know I used to watch that show in the 80s until it kind of fell apart with that season that was all a dream.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChampRamp posted:

Who are these idiots calling into the F4W Prediction show? Jesus christ, they're all beyond goony as gently caress.
Wrestling fans. These are our contemporaries, gentlemen. We (I) may have visions of fine cigars and Maker's Mark manhattans with sweet vermouth, dressed in suits and discussing things reasonably with one-another, but these people are our people. I went to a TNA show a couple of months back and literally eight of the ten people I talked to thought wrestling was real. Only one of them was a child. These are the real marks. The ones nobody talks about and says don't exist. Then there's the smarks, whom you've just heard.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Neodoomium posted:

I cannot believe the caliber of mark that calls into the LAW.
How in the hell can you listen to the LAW and still think wrestling's real?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm getting a file not found on the main site's show page and a redirect loop from that link. I WANT TO HEAR THIS SHOW!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sue Denim posted:

So why doesn't WWE let their wrestlers do the Observer any more or shows like that often but they can do something really open like Art of Wrestling?

Where does WWE draw the line?
They stopped doing the big interviews on wrestling sites and radio shows right after the Monday Night Wars ended and they didn't have to anymore, really. I'm not sure why Colt gets a pass.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

The best part is it's a complete Russo idea, and he's so passionate about it being great. Vinny's exhausted "...no, dude, it's dumb" reaction was great, though. Doubly so because I can remember Bryan ranting about how you HAVE to make things obvious for the retards in the audience and now he's claiming Vinny's being too cynical.
It's literally exactly the same thing they did with Matt Hardy and it went over like loving gangbusters until they gave him a microphone. Vinny's wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That sounds amazing. What'd he do?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pretty much, yeah. It gets pretty repetitive.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How do almost none of you get Dave's sense of humor yet?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Its a shame the only audio review of Smackdown is Bryan and Vinny on Tuesdays. Shame considering how good the main event has been.
Funny you should mention that. I did a thing with Forums Superstar Tendrilsfortwenty.

http://www.sixdrinksin.com/2012/01/15/six-drinks-in-does-wrestling-for-01-13-12/

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I miss James from Kentucky.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You could tell they hung up on that dude right away.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Remember when he cost ECW their PPV deal for about a year? Good times.
Story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

http://www.sixdrinksin.com/2012/01/30/six-drinks-in-does-wrestling-for-1-27-11/

Audio still needs a little work.

• Locked thread