Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HulkaMatt posted:

2 of my favorite rants from Alvarez in the last year:

TNA moves to Mondays: Part 1 - Part 2

Best thing about this was Bryan pointing out in incredulity that WADE BARRETT was drawing a better rating than Hogan/Flair. Considering that WWE has legit made Wade Barrett into a star, it's kind of fun to listen back to when he was nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He might not be a draw, but he is a much much bigger name than he was a year ago. He's someone who can be mentioned by name as an attraction in ads for live WWE events without it seeming utterly ludicrous.

If you heard an ad for a house show that said "See stars like John Cena, Edge, Brodus Clay and more!" it would seem incongruous. If it said "See stars like John Cena, Edge, Wade Barrett and more!" it wouldn't.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah I just burned through them myself and I find them pretty interesting. Lagana doesn't ask a lot of the questions I want answers to, but I guess he plans to have guests on a bunch of times to cover more material, so he's still finding his footing. Either way there is some interesting stuff there.

e: except for "15 Minutes" episodes because who gives a poo poo what fans think of wrestling, if I wanted to hear that I'd have my computer read the WWE Discussion thread out loud to me

the latest 15 minutes episode contained a fun charlie sheen anecdote, which is nice.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'll give bret and josh a go. Not sure if I can commit to 2 hours a day, but it could be fun.

Wonder if they'll get someone to edit up a weekly "best of" or anything.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, as someone too poverty stricken to get the Observer, which wrestling podcasts are worth it? I currently get:

I Want Wrestling
Art Of Wrestling
Smart Wrestling Fan

Are there any others that are worth it? I tried Live Audio Wrestling and couldn't get into it although I may have chosen a dud episode. I'm more into interviews with people in the business and general wrestling discussion than I am into recaps of RAW or that kind of stuff (I already have SWF for that). Anything spring out as something I should try?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rick posted:

When I don't have the means to pay, I just go with the free podcast feed from WOR because it's usually two good shows a week for free. LAW sadly to say was probably the best free show which sucks because it is pretty terrible. Although the segment where they review old poo poo is usually pretty good.

I didn't realize they had a free feed. On this.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

on Lagana's "Press the press" podcast, Alvarez was actually expressing his amazement at people who still got f4w delivered by post. He was saying that he puts the PDF of the issues up online the moment they're finished for subscribers to download, and yet he still gets this fairly solid core of people who paid to get it mailed to them. He was also talking about people he knew who no longer watched wrestling but still got and read f4w. Kind of a "You don't need a TV if you've got a TV guide" moment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

each to their own I guess. There's people I'd rather listen to when they monologue, but he's a great interviewer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Colt is only an okay interview, but the very fact that someone who knows the life is interviewing people in the life makes it fascinating.

Lagana, on the other hand, is a genuinely great interview. His "Formerly creative" shows are killer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oasx posted:

Also is it just me or did CM Punk come off as a real rear end in a top hat in his episode?

CM Punk comes across as a real rear end in a top hat for the same reason that Edge comes across as a Canadian.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

dshban posted:

If anyone ever had any interest in checking out my podcast Smart Wrestling Fan, I'd say do so now, because we did our 300th episode this week and it's probably my favourite. A song about HHH/Taker at WM, a radio play of The Chaperone, one of the co-hosts being incredibly drunk... 3 and a half hours of nonsense, and also wrestling chat.

Things I liked: almost all of it, the secret co-host show at the end
Things I didn't like: you singing that loving Friday song. May you burn in hell.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Akileese posted:

Didn't have to call it wargames though. WWE constantly rebrands things the way they see fit so I was surprised they didn't just change the name entirely.

They did change the name. And the concept. It became the Elimination Chamber.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

elf help book posted:

Is there a RSS feed for f4w's free shows only?

there is, but... it doesn't ever properly update

I have to basically remove the feed and re-add it every time I want to check if there are new free episodes.

The address is http://www.f4wonline.com/feed/free.rss if you can get it to work.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I know dshban pops by this thread occasionally, so I just wanted to say that Smart Pokemon Fan was pretty loving hilarious.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

did anyone listen to Maffew's Botchacast? It was a little rough and ready, but he had some insightful opinions. Here's hoping it's the start of something interesting.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

just finished listening to the first half of MVP on I Want Wrestling.

Honestly, I pretty much didn't give a poo poo about MVP before, but he got himself super-over in my eyes in that interview. I now want to put MVP in charge of WWE developmental.

I'll listen to the second half tonight.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

they should play the Adam Buxton "Help the police" remix if they want a radio friendly version.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sadly for them, their funniest moment was unintentional and involved magnets.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

so at a stroke they've managed to discourage people from going to see Impact, piss off the people who actually do go by making them hand in their cellphones, and also removed any buzz possible from people tweeting about the event? And all this to stop the spread of spoilers, in a way that can be circumvented with a pad of paper and a loving payphone?

This is graduate level stupidity right here.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

clearly every woman who gets pregnant definitely wanted to get pregnant at that time and by that person. It's why there's no such thing as abortions.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The words "goon" and "project" are rushing forward with huge enthusiasm before getting bored after a little bit and forgetting about the whole thing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

weekly font posted:

You're a cutey. ;)

But a few of us are running our first PSPodcast test tonight so we'll let you know how it goes. We've got the format figured out. It's not going to be another "So this week on Raw. This week on Smackdown blah blah" kind of review podcast, it's going to be about wrestling (and a bit of MMA) in general. More of a roundtable discussion among (e-)friends who like this homoerotic poo poo. If it goes forward there will be more than enough room for cycling guest posters in the future.

didn't mean to sound like a jerk there. If you guys get this off the ground and keep it off the ground I'll definitely be a listener.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

if you're planning an audience of more than a few dozen, paying for hosting will probably be an issue. Smart Wrestling Fan use Podbean, which seems pretty reliable. I've also heard good things about Jellycast, who power the Ricky Gervais podcasts.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

dshban posted:

If anyone's interested, Smart Wrestling Fan has its sixth anniversary show tonight. We'll be on stickam.com/joenegron in about 15 minutes but never start on time. Join in on the fun and excitement and things!

sorry I missed it. I'll catch the podcast.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Listening to it right now, and enjoying it a lot. The free for all concept is good to introduce us to you all, but you might want to think of something a little more structured. Obviously, the core of this is the conversation, and that's where you excel, but consider having a couple of planned segments so people know where they are in the podcast. A game might be a good idea, like Grant suggested, or a short more structured debate within the broader show.

One other thing, and it's a very very minor one: right at the start, Weekly Font's p sounds were hitting the mic much too hard. This was just for the opening until you seemed more comfortable with mic position, but you might consider a pop screen to stop that in future.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ideally a game for the show would be something that's both fun to play and funny to listen to. The "Superstars" game on smart wrestling fan where they have to guess which ridiculous Matt Striker quote is made up, for example. I like the 6 Degrees idea as long as you can pick some nicely obscure people, but listening to someone work it out on air might not make for good listening.

You could do an "odd one out" type thing. For example: Which of the following was NOT a Terry Funk retirement match?

Terry Funk vs Rex Hart, Hammond, IN, 1999
Terry & Dory Funk versus Terry Gordy and Stan Hansen, Tokyo, Japan, 1983
Terry Funk vs Mick Foley, Atlanta, GA, 2004
Terry Funk vs Bret Hart, Amarillo, TX, 1997

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

in retrospect, games probably aren't the way to go for this style of podcast.

However, adopting themes for particular episodes could work. Have some episodes that are just round tables based on what's happening in wrestling right now, but then have episodes that focus specifically on a particular subject or a particular era.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

maniacripper posted:

With good commentators and solid booking they would get the Kings of Wrestling over.

with good commentators and solid booking you could get anyone over. The problem is that nobody gets solid booking at the moment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Shaman of Cum posted:

wwe ring is 20x20. roh ring is 18x18. please know your rings before jokes. please.

so... just under 3 feet short?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

dshban posted:

And by the way.

Those teeth?

THEY WERE DELICIOUS

Chris parks's googly teeth

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

funnily enough, I downloaded several LAW episodes for a long trip I had this past Tuesday.

30 minutes into the first one (I think it was a "review-an-impact") I turned it off, deleted all of them, and listened to The Bugle instead. If you're going to be that venomous, I'd quite like you to be funny at the same time.

EDIT: to give examples of what I mean from other podcasts. Bryan Alvarez can be venomous, but he makes up for it by cracking me up and having astute and funny observations. Mark Kermode gives the most vicious film reviews I've ever seen when he doesn't like something, but he does so with flair, creativity and comedy (seriously, watch his "Sex and the city 2" review on youtube. At one point he's thumping the desk and singing The Internationale). LAW just seemed to be "this sucked, this was stupid, I can't understand why they did this, I hated this..."

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 15, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

dshban posted:

Aww.

Some of us love Smart Wrestling Fan.

Well, I do. Can't speak for anyone else.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Punchsport podcast is very good indeed, but works in a very different way to Smart Wrestling Fan. I think of it as being the difference between a review show and a discussion show.

SWF is quite regimented (for all its diversions) and has sections it discusses every week, bases it has to cover. Every week you're definitely going to get reviews of the big 3, reviews of any pay per view that's on, listener emails, and any other features that come up. Joe Negron is very good at driving the conversation forward, partly because if he wasn't, the show would be 6 hours long each week.

Punchsport is like sitting around a table with the five smartest guys you know, and just talking wrestling for an hour. There's less of an agenda, and even where there are topics that people want to discuss, the format supports digression a lot more, so it feels organic.

Both have their appeal, and I'm sincerely glad there is such a range of wrestling shows out there covering different areas of the business.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

"Hardcore Holly had a vagina on his back!"
":laugh:"

I never claimed the other guys I know were that smart.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Sue Denim posted:

So I listened to the Bryan and Vinny compilation with the wedding talk about Bernt, it was amazing. Brent is a.... specimen.

Can anyone tell me what Colt's podcasts are like if you know nothing about the wrestler being interviewed?

I've only listened to a handful of ones with wrestlers I knew about, from these interviews I'm guessing they may be a little too specific and personal to the relationship between Colt and the interviewie to be accessible if you didn't all ready have some background knowledge on the wrestler.

I've listened to all of Colt's podcasts and about half of them have been with guys I didn't know at all. They still hold up, and are in fact a great way of introducing yourself to guys you hadn't heard of before. I'd never heard of Bull Pain before, for example, and yet his episode really hooked me. Same with Cassandro. Never heard of him in my life, and yet I was absolutely enthralled with the story of him and the exoticos.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

wasn't it Lagana interviewing him? Or did I miss an interview?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

my bad, got confused.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

he killed my Hornswoggle In A Head-Dress joke by not reading ahead :(

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

if you do a podcast because you want people to hear what you have to say, why should you change what you have to say?

There's a huge gulf between "I'm doing what I want to do and if you want to listen that's fine" and "I'm purposefully going to do things I know you won't like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just finished listening to the latest Art Of Wrestling.

Wow, Alex Shane is kind of a nutcase.

• Locked thread