Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Borh posted:

People complain about too much MMA in the Observer, Dave responds by writing massive in-depth articles about sports only tangentially related to wrestling. Next up in the series: medieval jousting.

To be fair, roller derby loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Was the next week the one where they did the skit about Triple H finding Michaels working at a food court and then Michaels superkicked a little kid? Because that poo poo was incredible.

e: And I just realized that it was the start of the last run of Michaels's career.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah Bryan was in rare form today. He's never this entertaining when Raw is good.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Just a quick reminder that this is the podcast thread not the WO/F4W thread.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I think it works pretty well as the WO/F4W thread, since that's the only podcast worth listening to :colbert:

It's fine if people wanna talk about those podcasts but this isn't the place to talk about board drama or the newsletters.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Borh posted:

The LAW moved to a different station, where apparently they can't swear on the air. I haven't listened in a while, can anyone tell me how their idiot callers are adjusting and whether or not Dan Lovranski has had a stroke yet?

They still get some new schmucks in addition to the regular schmucks. It's basically the same show but with less cursing so whatever.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

savinhill posted:

I always thought the Agnew guy was more negative and annoying, he has a fit just over wrong answers to wrestling trivia questions.

Yeah that poo poo is loving aggravating. HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW AS MUCH ABOUT WRESTLING AS US YOU GIANT MORONS.

But Wai is the man and John is cool so just skip the LAW proper and listen to Review a Wai/Raw/Impact.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

So I know Dave and Bryan do their rundown of the observer awards every year but do Bryan and Vinny do Best Of/Worst Of year end shows?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Dave talking about Sean Waltman taking a dump in Juvi's bag is amazing. He used the phrase "take a dump" about a half dozen times and it was hilarious.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

That kind of anger is especially rich coming from Bischoff, who did more to expose the business by running WCW than the sheets ever did.

Eric Bischoff is an idiot and a colossal hypocrite hth.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

When does the awards issue of the Observer come out? I can't wait to see who wins the coveted "most disgusting promotional tactic" award. :allears:

Smart money is on Christian losing the title the week he won it.

If it's not the Jeff Hardy thing it's the TWITTER HASHTAG TRENDING poo poo.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Personally I'm impressed at how the TEAM VIGGITY DIET turned an accomplished brazilian jiu jitsu grappler and very attractive woman into a skeleton.

Those aren't bones those are muscles. Sometimes women have them.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

TNA would shoot Bryan on sight

Details please?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

Just a joke, but I doubt he is popular in the TNA office.

I suspect that not many people who review TNA would be.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Oatgan posted:

Does Matt Hardy promoting himself via fake suicide note count? Because that would be my vote.

Given that all it really ended up promoting was a series of arrests and a failed trip to rehab I'd guess it doesn't count but who knows.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Kind of a bummer that the best draw only appeared on like a half dozen shows all year, but I guess that's just how much of a draw he was.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I realize that the official name is "Best Box Office Draw" but are PPV buys also considered?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Dave poo poo talking his own subscribers is always loving amazing.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Borh posted:

West was only the worst announcer of all time until the rise of heel Michael Cole, much like Gaddafi was the worst terrorist of all time in a pre-9/11 world. The good stuff he did afterwards, plus the fact that we since learned it could in fact get a hell of a lot worse, have more than redeemed him in my eyes.

At first I thought you were still talking about Gaddafi at the end there.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Cole has never been a good announcer and he's been at it for, what, fourteen or fifteen years now? There's room for him as a personality but it's really amazing that Vince still thinks the guy is the future when he's both bad and beyond stale.

Vince is a delusional maniac hth

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah but he was rude to a piss tester once so

So he got to leave on his own terms and pursue his dream of wrestling in Japan?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

The best cat story is the one where Bryan talks about how he could teach his cats how to run the ropes better than Kelly Kelly.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I have yet to hear an MVP interview that isn't absolutely riveting. The dude has an incredible life story.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Isn't Sherlock Holmes the most frequently depicted fictional character ever?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Can Six Drinks In does wrestling and the Punchsport podcast get a mention in the OP?

I'll be happy to edit in your podcast when I get home but PSPCast has its own thread so I don't really see the need.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Jack Krauser posted:

Just noticed that all of the Formerly Creative podcasts have disappeared from the internet. Would it be considered :filez: to ask where I can download these? They were available for free when they could be found, and it's not like I can buy them or something.

I don't have an answer for you but do you really want to listen to Lagana and a bunch of his friends suck each other's dicks for hours on end?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I'm convinced at this point that Wrestling Observer Radio is just some bizarre social experiment.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I haven't finished todays Bryan and Vinny show yet but Granny just sort of matter-of-factly saying "this wasn't a very fun show," as she's about to get off the line was really funny to me.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

"Lonnie Mayne was in bed. . .With a woman. And Lonnie Mayne spit in the air, OK? And she had to put the covers over her head so it wouldn't, like, land in her face. . .And then he farted in her face. So that's a Lonnie Mayne story." -Dave Meltzer, respected journalist.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

He was also part of ECW's booking committee towards the end, which doesn't speak highly of his abilities either.

Wait original ECW or WWECW?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Oatgan posted:

Dave Meltzer is cool.

Yeah I'm going to agree with Oatgan on this one. If it was a real radio show (because it's not. It's a podcast) I'd be on board with Carlisle, but Dave being Dave is just so loving entertaining.

If you want "radio personalities" listen to the LAW. Jason Agnew is a giant dickbag but he sure is a radio personality.

e: though Dave does 15-20 minutes on the LAW every week too so, y'know, that's the mentality I guess.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 29, 2012

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

oldskool posted:

Wai Ting is the worst best name. I love the play on it on Wednesday's Review A Wai openings but the rest of the time its cheesiness overwhelms me.

But yeah those two rule. They do Review-an-Impact as well with some guy from the southern US calling in every week as a third mic, he's OK I guess.

TNAte! He's awesome. And I don't mind Lovranski too much either but to each their own.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Jack Krauser posted:

Sega and Twins?

Definitely the former. When he said it I figured that SEGA had to be some sort of business acronym because there was no way he was talking about a video game company that hasn't released a console since 1999

Karmine fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 11, 2012

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

njsykora posted:

Yeah please remember this man is going hunting for Bigfoot in a few days.

Don't act like hunting for Bigfoot doesn't sound fun as hell.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you don't like cat chat and goofy bullshit why would you even bother listening to Bryan and Vinny?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

A couple days late on this but yeah the sex with fruit joke pretty muh slayed me.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Is there any sort of compendium of hilarious Dave Meltzer quotes? Like, not jokes, but things that Dave has said that are only funny because it's Dave saying them?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Jack Krauser posted:

Bryan's excuse about HHH/Lesnar made no sense.

What was it?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Oh God everybody listen to the LAW this week where the first caller talks about how lovely women are being treated in wrestling and then uses that to segue into talking about Todd Akin :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

You had to?

• Locked thread