Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It is my policy these days to just listen to these podcasts and not watch TNA, but is this bad enough that I should watch so I fully get all the rant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lamuella posted:

OK, as someone too poverty stricken to get the Observer, which wrestling podcasts are worth it? I currently get:

I Want Wrestling
Art Of Wrestling
Smart Wrestling Fan

Are there any others that are worth it? I tried Live Audio Wrestling and couldn't get into it although I may have chosen a dud episode. I'm more into interviews with people in the business and general wrestling discussion than I am into recaps of RAW or that kind of stuff (I already have SWF for that). Anything spring out as something I should try?

When I don't have the means to pay, I just go with the free podcast feed from WOR because it's usually two good shows a week for free. LAW sadly to say was probably the best free show which sucks because it is pretty terrible. Although the segment where they review old poo poo is usually pretty good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They have a PDF version of the Observer too, although the link isn't super noticeable. But click the little grey PDF picture that blends into the background near the title.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Larry Mollin episode is great. For all the rage over the years that people have had over the Hollywood TV writers being brought in by the evil Vince McMahon and it turns out that it was something that they did to placate the corporate factions in the company and that Vince and his inner circle basically always set them up to fail.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm finding it interesting how in the Lagana interview they actually are both defending Stephanie and think the company would instantly be better if she took over. And the idea that Booker and JBL would be great with the book and the "Hunter" debate was also well done.

So far I've enjoyed all of these.

Although I thought Court's assertion that PPV piracy being the fault of asia is kind of silly. Everything

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You know, are we really sure they're making new Impacts and that they just haven't been editing old episodes together?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I really love Meltzer's rant against the people angry over the change to "WWE" is really perfect. It's just such pointless anger.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

His basic point is that it's just one more manifestation of a philosophy Vince has had for a long, long time now and not an individually big deal itself.

Yeah pretty much this.

Dave and Bryan calling a Triple H match an all time classic makes me so happy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am going to go find EVPs and bring them to After Dark.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I will always love THE BOARD simply due to the fact that they unmercifully mock anyone who complains about the PG rating.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I'm assuming there is some reason you want to stay in the theater's good graces, but honestly there's not anything they can do if you talk about this stuff. Even if you were an employee, it's unlikely you signed a non-disclosure contract with them and if they were to fire you over it you might have a wrongful termination suit in your lap.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Bryan's verbal tics, to me, were an extension of his real life gimmick: Angry, boisterous, tiny man. Just like Dave is a wrestling encyclopedia cyborg.

One of my all time favorite episodes is about Vinny's wedding where they were worried that Kremin dude was annoying Dave but when they got there they were just talking about wrestling and were like "oh yeah Dave is happy to talk wrestling with anyone, even him."

And I loved Jez, one of the only times I've posted on THE BOARD was to ask him an obscure question about something probably only I cared about with Smackdown v Raw and he answered me right away.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I'm the guest on After Dark tomorrow. Should be fun considering how carefully I have to watch my language. Can't talk about any specifics.

This might be the worst show ever.

By the way this is a bit late but I heard it and you did good!

--

It's kind of funny because as often as Bryan and Lance Storm agreey, they go round and round for ages when they don't. I still remember how sure Bryan was that Undertaker and Triple H was going to suck and Lance sure Lance was that it was going to be the match of the night.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 10, 2011

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought you guys sounded so much more enthusiastic when you were talking about ROH and indy stuff that I think that maybe that should be the focus of your show. The conversation was smooth and natural and you guys all seemed like complete experts on the subject. It was entertaining stuff and if I enjoyed it even though I don't watch indy anymore.

It seemed like you guys were talking about WWE because you felt like you couldn't have a wrestling podcast without talking about it.

For the first few episodes it might be a good idea to say people's names a lot so it's easier to learn voices.

--

In other podcasting news, there's been a defection. Team Bring It, you lost one of your biggest supporters this week. In the latest episode of the Big O and Dukes podcast, they talked wrestling for nearly 20 minutes and one of the biggest Cena Haters I've ever heard-a guy who, despite liking Cena the person, has ranted and raved about how Cena is everything that's wrong with wrestling-has joined the winning team and is now a member of CeNation. It was really interesting to hear that his reasons for finally buying in were pretty similar to my own (albeit I figured this out like three years ago) in that Cena is absolutely Aware of his character

If Chad could see the light, my hope for the rest of you has been charged up again.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 18, 2011

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah it's kind of a dangerous road. Unless you're Uhh Yeah Dude games on podcasts can get pretty cheesy pretty quickly and really even they don't do them very much anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Triple H the second is going to be a very happy boy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Honestly an hour and a half isn't that weird for wrestling podcasts anyway, although there will always be a segment of the podcast listening audience that likes podcasts to be exactly an hour, no longer or shorter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Oh hey, confirmation from Formerly Creative that in fact the upper echelon DIDN'T like Punk and they DID want to push Hardcore Holly over Punk when they had Holly beat Punk on ECW. Maybe that will end some stupid arguments that have persisted.

You were one of the people who disagreed with the assertion that he was in the doghouse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wish there was a way to purge my brain's database of poster's opinions from like 7 years ago but at least it doesn't seem concerned with any of the new people here.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
People don't trust the Observer I feel due to the internet being full of people misquoting it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

I make fun of Bryan and the gang every time they spend a week talking about how cool and gnarly their adventures in Vegas were over Memorial Day weekend, but I love their Super China Buffet day shows. Super China Buffet day is exactly what they should be doing, being a bunch of dorks and going to a buffet. It isn't pretentious, it just is what it is.

I really liked how they were talking about the satellite events in "London, Chicago...Tucson...Manila."

I actually would've went but I had to work this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I remember it used to be that I didn't agree with Alvarez and this entire forum did and now I agree with him quite often and the forum usually doesn't. Crazy.

Grantonio posted:

Not to mention that the dude's been a walking news story for the past 5 years. If you watch ESPN once in a while you're gonna hear about Artest. He's pretty much a wrestling character playing basketball.

Also he has been trying to get the Rock to have a match with him for an entire year except I'm not totally sure Artest knows wrestling is not real.

It made sense in context too since Ron Artest is a guy who is a big advocate for mental health rights and is self-admitted crazy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Eye-pads, Roll Out The Barrel-Rolls and "it was OK" ratings. Granny rules.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

If you're a fan of Loveline's old Smoke Detector bit, don't listen to this week's Review a Raw.

Oh dear god, what is wrong with people, why can't people just change their loving batteries and how does that not drive them crazy?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've never heard Bryan say that he's doing it to troll people. He just is doing it because he enjoys it and he says almost once a month "if you don't like it, don't subscribe."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

How and why did Alvarez and Meltzer come together / merge their sites?

I'm curious too, although it seems to have really worked out for both parties, letting each focus more on the actual part of covering wrestling they like.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't even think Dave is that down on wrestling right now. He likes something almost every show and has been thumbs up lately on a lot of PPVs people here mostly hated. There have been times just since I've been following that he's absolutely hated the WWE product from top to bottom. He's just harping on the fact that business is bad because, well, business is bad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

The legendary Roller Derby issue has been posted. I'm not sure why they posted it, but go read it.

Time to re-up my subscription.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The B & V show where they compared it to the 2009 Raw was nice because it is a good example of the show having an extended period of bad being followed by a pretty good post-Survivor series that had that almost-awesome build to Raw that just started a couple weeks too early (and John Cena/Batista and Undertaker/HBK was so good that I can forgive Bret vs Vince/Edge vs Jericho derailing).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

And despite all of that media work, WWE's PPVs are at all time lows, their ratings have fallen year after year, live gates are declining and their overall profitability has declined. The Rock had 4 years on top, but those were the biggest years of all time. Those aren't just four good years, they are four legendary years. John Cena was a good draw for several years and is now on top in a period where PPV is worse than it has ever been. Pro wrestling itself is still looked on obscenely poorly despite all the media and charity he does. Just look at the Linda McMahon campaign.

CMLL's business went well below the average last year. Their ratings reached test pattern levels in the early fall of 2010 and there were some scary gates at Arena Mexico.

Cena should get in eventually, but there are going to be people who are going to hold things against him for one reason or another. He might even get in on the first ballot, but I don't think he will for reasons I've laid out and reasons that probably exist in the heads of some of the voters.

All numbers directly attributable to John Cena (like ratings, merchandise sales) have maintained or even rose as the rest of the business declined.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Borh posted:

How are ratings more directly attributable to Cena than PPV buys,

Because you can see what ratings individual segments generated.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Borh posted:

That's true to some extent, buy I would contend that by being in the main-event segment (last 15 minutes + overrun), which Cena is more often than not, he's always gonna get better ratings than the guys in the death quarters. This is taking nothing away from Cena, because I'm well aware of the fact that if they put Jack Swagger vs. Ted DiBiase in the main event, the rating would almost surely be smaller. But to me, simply saying Cena brings ratings while everything else does not is simplifying things too much.

Conversely, if Cena is consistently on top of the card on PPV and the PPV buyrates are steadily declining you would, at least in theory, place some of the blame for that on the guy who's headlining the shows. Same holds true for other metrics, such as house show gates. Cena may be drawing better than anyone else on the roster, but he's been drawing less and less over the years. But again here, I believe other factors have to be considered, so it's not a clear-cut cause and effect situation.

His midshow segments are just about as strong as they've ever been, sometimes stronger and even some of his worst segments generally still gain some viewers. Roughly the same amount of people watch Cena as six years ago.

All the evidence points to WWE's core audience being fans of Cena and nobody else (except maybe Triple H and Undertaker).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

This is not true. The peaks of Raw have declined, and we have seen hour 2 being lower than hour one in recent years something that almost never happened before. John Cena's absence from injury and return from injury has also failed to move ratings.

The last Raw that had a worse second hour barely had Cena in the second hour. I'm not saying that the rating went down because of that but you certainly can't blame it on him either.

And the peaks are declining because the non-Cena audience is leaving. Cena still averages an increase hundreds of thousands of viewers who tune in to just see him just like he did 6 years ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

So does anyone who gets put in the 10 PM and main event segments. It isn't even like Cena is guaranteed to do huge jumps in those segments, he has been in matches at 10 that have done really disappointing increases.

Cena still gains a pretty impressive amount of viewers when he's on in the middle of the show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Meltzer laughing about how his career is over if the WWE ever goes out of business on the 25th podcast was hilarious for some reason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I picture in 20 years or so Dave will hand the keys to his laserjet printer and laptop over to his son, grab his coat, put on a fedora and hike towards a mysterious mountain. When he ascends that mountain, he will find a still-living Vince McMahon, with a long, thing beard as white as the piles of snow that he sat on, waiting for him. The two men will briefly sit together, and though no spoken words could be heard by any that observed this scene, it was impossible to not understand that they were communicating with each other. Then, the two men get up, and walk into a thick snowstorm, and other than being illuminated by a brief flash of light, will never be seen by any living being on Earth again, until the world changes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Did this year's holiday episode already happen? If so, what day?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Isn't Todd Martin just a dude who says what he feels and has no sources? That is pretty good if so to beat Meltzer with all his sources.

E: and I know this is only tangentially related to podcasts, but since this is where a lot of observer chat happens anyway, a headline on f4wonline says "ROH star touring with WWE" but I couldn't find anywhere who that star was.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SlippyFists posted:

You guys need a Granny's Gang t-shirt like the rest of us, it's a Total chick magnet.

I want them to make the front of the Cena shirt with "Granny's Gang" on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

The same thing happened in WCW. He would get huge reactions in the arena in 99 and 2000 but meant nothing for ratings or buyrates. That's why ratings tanked right after Hogan won the belt.

The Zack Ryder Effect

• Locked thread