Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I really think the best thing about "Formerly Creative" are the little things mentioned that give us insight into the weird eccentricity of Vince McMahon. Like him only eating medium rare steak wraps with ketchup or how scared everyone was when Vince learned how to text message.

It makes me really want Meltzer to put out the Vince Bio that he has saved for after his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Meat Recital posted:

Any particular reason why?

Vince was always very love/hate with Meltzer. Dave was a former employee in the 80s (I think it was research, nothing on the creative side). As well Dave's mentioned that when Vince wants to work with you/wanted to go against WCW he would call him up and give information. I don't remember a WWE wrestler being on either the podcasts or WOL since the Invasion.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

triplexpac posted:

Alright I might have to listen to AoW for Punk.

Do WWE guys do many podcast appearances? I know there's a show done in the UK for the Sun I think, that has WWE and TNA guests a lot.

Obviously it's not WWE's MO, but I think it would be a good thing for them to let guys do podcast appearances and stuff, let them tell their story.

I know that, for example, I didn't give a poo poo about Chris Masters before I heard an interview with him and he was a pretty cool guy.

Hell, if WWE wants to be into social media that bad, they could have Matthews host his own interview podcast or something.

Meltzer mentioned that Vince was a whole lot more open/willing to have talent do stuff during the Monday Night Wars, but not before or after. Seems like WWE will condone it if only it has something huge to gain from it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

quote:

Hogewood's Gold Boat

Man do I miss Hogewood.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Arbite posted:

Jesus, Dave has sources inside the nursing home of Bob Backlund's mother?

Oh Oliver knows.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRayPer posted:

I am pretty sure Mike and Dave are still recording this podcast. I am not complaining since Dave is bringing up a lot of interesting points, but holy poo poo this is long.

I'd dig a Mike and Dave show every few weeks, Sempervive is good about asking Dave questions that Bryan usually doesn't. Dave however sounded like he was exhausted and wanted to attack Mike for having such a long show though.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dude also seems pretty happy making a living outside of ROH. ROH is looser than others on contract, but whose to say he'd be able to do what he wants to do if he was a part of Ring of Honor?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Three things come to mind.

1) Good God, what I would give to spend just a few hours going through all that stuff in his house

2) He really really needs to invest in some kind of proper off-site storage for those VHS tapes. If he keeps them in the garage like that they're going to degrade. He probably should pay someone to transfer them all to DVD or some other less volatile medium too. I know he said he doesn't have time but it's not like he'd do it himself, and that collection is of genuine historical interest. If he's right about his collection being among the largest in the world (and I have no reason to doubt it) then storing them in such a haphazard manner is just ridiculous, especially given the California weather.

3) When Meltzer finally decides to retire it's going to be a huge loss to wrestling and sports journalism. I can't think of anyone who comes close to him.

Such an incredible collection/packrat.

VHS is actually a lot more sturdy than people give credit. You'll have Betacam/max tapes from 80s degrading rapidly but VHS can hold up. Also I'd rather transfer them straight to digital file rather than DVD. Unless he has access to a DVD Mastering device rather than consumer VHS -> DVD devices, you are talking ten years. Also I winced at the boxes in the shed.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

njsykora posted:

Also last time I listened to a Torch podcast the audio quality was horrific, and Bryan is obsessed with audio quality.

And yet they won't get Dave an ISDN line.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dave has such a great rapport with Sempervive and there actually seems to been an awareness of the outside world with him (I don't think Bryan would even know who Pele is). I know Bryan fashions himself as a big radio/podcast guy now but I'd much rather have Dave/Sempervive doing shows from now on.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

triplexpac posted:

This PodcastOne bubble has to burst at some point, right? Or are they run by some giant media conglomerate?

PodcastOne is run by the guy who sold Westwood One radio before the radio bubble popped. I imagine it's a pretty low overhead (save producers & bandwidth) and that they recoup their money through the same six ads that every podcast has & their shows' Amazon links.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm guessing it's Hero or Ryan. Has Jesse White done anything since being released?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Not enough comments on how Dave used his first question on an conference call that was supposed to be about NXT Takeover on medicals for Rey and Christian.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I mean how can anyone resist the leather jacket & curly mullet?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

epitasis posted:

power rankings assuming not some dumb interview with a musician or something
Austin > Jericho > Observer shows with Meltzer > Bauer & Pollock > other MLW shows > Cheap Heat > Art of Wrestling > all those other F4W/LAW shows > JR

Put Sin Limite between Austin and Jericho and I'd co sign that.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

rovert posted:

I don't understand the shock from people over this - the idea of Chris being loved up at a rave is funny/weird obviously. But in broad terms there's not that much difference between ecstasy and 90s wrestler favourite GHB.

I think it's that knowing of the the infamous GHB plane flight. Wrestlers were crazy about that in the 90s.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
When I had an android Doggcatcher worked great with F4W/WO.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snoggdoggler.android.applications.doggcatcher.v1_0&hl=en

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Tato posted:

I fear for the status of Dave's tape collection, has he ever talked about how he stores them or are they just sitting in a shed? Someone needs to digitize that poo poo.

There was a YouTube video floating around that was a tour of his office and shed. Them and old newsletters of various authors are in it. The tapes are VHS. VHS is pretty resilient. Much better than beta or DVD-R. The newspaper? That's a whole different issue all together.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Wouldn't be surprised if he's doing something with Harwick & Nerdist. He's become pretty close to them, probably more so than Maron.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Yeah I only would have seen of this cause of this thread. Glad I used paypal. Really disappointed in the lack of notice on Dave and Bryan's part.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Another Person posted:

So, I've never listened to the podcasts on the Observer before, and I tried today to give it a look. I went onto the July 24 show, because it was the only thing that interested me that seemed available and it does not seem to work. It just buffers, forever. In fact, everything does. Is this because I am not a subscriber?

Yeah. There's usually only a show or so free each week. They're usually pretty well noted on the manage as the free ones.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Require More Fire posted:

Honestly Dave and Bryan's lack of knowledge about anything outside the wrestling bubble - including technology - is half their charm.

Konnan lambasting them for their lack of pop culture awareness while on the show remains one of my favorite all-time WON/F4W moments.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

triplexpac posted:

Dave I can excuse, because the guy seems to watch every single wrestling / MMA show there is even if he doesn't talk about it.

I have no idea what Bryan does with his time besides watching a few shows here and there, chasing cats and doing BJJ.

The great thing is that Dave is so much more with it than Bryan, you can tell from the Sin Limite/his time as a sports reporter that he actually has the capacity to know what's going on in pop culture.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I find it remarkable how quickly the goodwill from his firing has dissipated with how bitter/sour JR has proven himself to be.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Wouldn't be surprised if maybe George Barrios and Michelle Wilson are taking the fall for the network and that's the non-TNA story.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is the bitterness/bullshit in the Gabe interview?

Bitterness is a 3. Not bad, but imo there's a layer of "welp i'm only doing evolve now part time instead of wrestling full-time & he expects WWE Network subs to drop by 50% after the renewal.

Bullshit is a 6. Felt like a stereotypical Gabe interview in that regard. I don't buy his story of why DGUSA is on hold.

Shilling is a 10. He loving started the show shilling and shilled consistently to the very end.

It's a different Gabe interview. It does seem like he's grown up more emotionally and he's okay with where he's at in wrestling, for the most part. I wonder how much of that would change if the upcoming Evolve shows tank.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Not really save a Make a Wish story & general "who did you like when you grew up". He sounds so much more happy/in his element now that he's out of the WWE.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
TPI 04 maybe for the sheer amount of talent involved (but as always gently caress ian rotten)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm glad to hear it's running better. I used to try to use send to Kindle when it was first introduced and it was just a giant block of text with no formatting. Going to give it another shot this week!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

CVagts posted:

I don't know much about Minoru Suzuki and Mecha Mummy, but I do know that they are the best wrestlers of all time, and this is the best match ever.

And to get an example of how talented MiSu is in a serious match, check out Tanahashi v Suzuki from Kings of Pro Wrestling 2012 or him versus AJ or Okada from this year's G1.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Machine Gun being asked why Indietaker is called Indietaker by Gedo remains my favorite moment in Talkin' Shop history.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know what a feed is but I will track down the website and download the Talkin' Shops I haven't heard yet v:shobon:v

mlwradio.libsyn.com is the direct link to their host's website.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

mariooncrack posted:

Is Dave the last one using a Juno email account?

IIRC it's not even his Juno account, it's one that's attached to his father.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
so Observer hall of fame ballots got sent out today. Anyone get one/is a voter?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sempervive is really the only secondary person on F4W who doesn't consistently pass off conjecture as fact

e: and National Treasure Karl Stern, I guess

Alan isn't bad at conjecture but he's also one of the most positive people I've ever listened to on that site.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Of all the things JR complains about, I totally get the ROH lights one and Sinclair not putting money into production.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
stone cold spent ten minutes talking about how badly he needed to take a poo poo on his podcast today and his existential crisis about where he needed to take said poo poo.

give the man a fuckin marconi award.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I think Hogan deserves mention solely for how he played Turner his entire stint of the 90s. Being able to strategically be off Nitros when they were going to get beat by sporting events and then claim ratings himself. And I'll second Nash as well.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

HHH unseated Vince's OWN SON as the heir apparent.

TBF Shane was already on the outs when HHH started to get some power and Steph already supplanted Shane at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Shane also has a business relationship with members of the PGA, he's been seen at tournaments celebrating with Rory McIlroy.

• Locked thread