Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
If you subscribe to the Observer and you've never listened to Bryan and Vinny reviewing the barbed wire Christmas tree episode of Impact you're doing yourself a great disservice. It's the December 21, 2007 B&V show, so check it out~!

Which reminds me, their Christmas shows, though they have nothing to do with wrestling (and everything to do with alcohol) are pretty funny as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

Dave's racist dog will never be on the show again :(

I can't help but wonder. Dave said his dog died right before Raw, which caused him to miss the beginning of the show, but he still caught most of it. So, how does that work: is he watching Raw in his living room while his dead dog is somewhere else in the house, did he run outside real quick and bury it, did he call someone to take care of it? I'd send in that question to the mailbag, but then he'd probably answer it seriously and I'm not sure I want that.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Yesterday, on Wrestling Observer Radio, Meltzer and Alvarez went on a five minute tangent about John Cena possibly being afraid to shower, water polo, and other H20 related subjects. I have no idea why, but I enjoyed it a lot and it's a free show, so you can too.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

"What is Vince lives to be 150?"

"He won't."

I thought he almost topped that one with:

"Maybe someone tried to drown him [Cena] when he was younger and he's hated water ever since."

"I don't believe that's true!"

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

When it comes down to it, Matt Morgan is a lovely wrestler. He has been wrestling for about 10 years and still looks green as hell.

Sure, but that's never been a problem for the WWE before, especially considering he's a huge dude who can cut decent promos and is really not that bad in the ring compared to other big guys they've tried to push.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

His promos sucked for years and now they are average rather than bad. He's still really far away from cutting a money promo. Maybe that is the guy scripting them, but other people in TNA cut good promos so I doubt it.

To be fair to the guy, they gave him a stuttering gimmick. He'd have to be loving Cicero to get over with that.

Look, I'm not trying to say Morgan is a great wrestler. He's average, at best. But considering Vince has a huge hard-on for guys with his body type and he is, in my opinion, at least marginally better than those other turds you mentioned, as well as being a smart guy who seems to like the business and is willing to learn and improve, he could probably have done better in the WWE.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

That's a good point. He really needed a couple more years in developmental if he was to have any chance back then. It seems you can never win with Vince: guys are either not big enough to be main-eventers so they get their legs cut off from under them and are stuck in mid-card hell regardless of how good they are, or they are the huge freaks of nature Vince loves, so they get brought up too soon, fail miserably and are quickly thrown out.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Sorry, double post.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Maybe it was Jay Lethal.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

WOR yesterday was great because it was basically Bryan trolling Dave by trying to get him to explain the reasons behind the stupid bullshit TNA does. And Dave has that kind of personality where he has to try to apply logic and reason to everything even when there plainly is none, so he just goes for it and the results are hilarious.

B&V tonight should be awesome as well.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm thinking about subscribing to WO. Are the newsletters in PDF format that I could read on my iPad at the gym?

You can absolutely download the Observer in PDF. There's a little icon next to the header of each newsletter that lets you do so. It just runs the html through some sort of converter and spits out a PDF, so the formatting isn't stellar but it should more than suit your needs.

For F4W you can either get that or download a full colour PDF.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Granny may be going slightly senile, which is sad, but she's still cool.

"If you could have magic plastic surgery that made your face look like anyone on Earth, who would you choose?"
"Frankenstein."

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Listening to B&V now and somehow Bryan managed to get himself trolled by "Wild and Young" yet again. I'm now eagerly awaiting dreading the return of the "Chris Benoit killed his family" song before the show is through.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Gatts posted:

Does it need subscription?

Worth it if you want to get the inside scoop on 90210.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Pretty cool interview with Roddy Piper on The Law this week. He seemed to be in an exceptionally good mood. Or maybe it was the fact that it was 11:30 PM and he had probably knocked back more than a few, already.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Karmine posted:

Yeah when Bryan mentioned that Triple H was interrupted by Undertaker's dong, I laughed so hard I almost swerved off the road.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I knew Bryan's love of old Americana would come back to bite him one day

Should have played "Old Man River", instead.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Does anyone else now avoid this thread before listening to new B&V shows to avoid rant and joke spoilers? I don't care about Smackdown spoilers, but I need to avoid reading spoilers about what pissed Bryan off!

Impact!

Really enjoyed B&V today. I must be in the mood for juvenile humour, because I thought the Undertaker's Dong song was even funnier the second time, and I thought Bryan was a pussy for cutting off whatever that other creepy song was.

Borh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 20, 2011

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Vinny with the line of the month, yesterday: "Eric Bischoff demoted [Miss Tessmacher] to being a pro wrestler, because that is a lower status than whore".

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

Bryan's verbal tics, to me, were an extension of his real life gimmick: Angry, boisterous, tiny man. Just like Dave is a wrestling encyclopedia cyborg.

If he replaced his "y'know"s with "Searching... please wait", the gimmick would be flawless.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

The video game guy.

Christ, that guy is terrible. The only worthwhile thing he's ever done on the show was to let Bryan know that he could play Dig Dug online, for free.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I had never read that Jez thread before and it's an awesome meltdown.

Akileese posted:

Bryan also announced on the B and V show that someone was banned because he'd received a never ending streams of emails about it. Judging from the content of that board and the amount of poo poo on it, if people want you banned you really must be a terrible poster there.

That was Rovert. I don't frequent The Board that much either, because it's mostly filled with annoying, unfunny trolls, but I swear to God, every single thread I ever clicked on, this dude had a reply within the first 5 posts. He had something like over 50 thousand posts total and I'm willing to bet that 90% of them were of the low content poo poo-post variety that would get you banned from SA in less than a week.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah. Christian is a better interview, but Jeff Hardy oozes charisma. He oozes other things too.

I wouldn't say Jeff has more charisma than Christian, but he's definitely got something. He wouldn't be able to connect with the crowd the way he does and be so consistently over while being so terrible at promos if he didn't.

Christian, while being infinitely better on promos, can seem a little bland sometimes, so I see why Dave would say Jeff is, in some ways, more charismatic.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Bryan and Dave in the same room, as opposed to doing the show over the phone, is always a good thing. There's a great dynamic between the two and Dave is not talking over Bryan as much as usual. I wish there was a way they could do the show this way more often.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

If you're going to start listening to the archives and you enjoy Bryan and Vinny, you might just want to get the "Brian and Vinny Rewind" instead. You'll get to hear most of their TNA rants, plus other assorted B&V wackiness, reviews of WWE stuff, songs, and lots of legendary F4W stuff, like the whole deal with Iron Sheik, Brent Kremen, the Bryan vs. Vinny match, etc., etc.

It's literally hundreds of hours of audio and that alone will more than justify the cost of your subscription.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Listening to Adrenaline Flushes, who is this Brent Kremen guy Bryan and Vinny are willing to beat to death?

He's the legend who single-handedly put a stop to the Wrestlemania XIX press conference by asking Vince a question about steroids. He's also a renowned scholar of judaism and a world-class ballroom dancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1PTNYugd4

Seriously, he's Bryan's slightly (some would say completely) insane Jewish friend who used to be a regular in the early years of the Bryan and Vinny show and still makes the occasional appearance.

You can check out the Bryan and Vinny Rewind for more of him, especially in the early episodes. At the very least you should listen to the August 2010 one (vol. 61), covering his antics at Bryan's wedding, because it's some of the funniest poo poo I've ever listened to.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

gibsonisacripple posted:

Is there any audio of this?

By all rights there should be, but I've never been able to find it.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Interview didn't go super-great. Definitely gonna' have a few before I give it a listen.

Not up yet but it should be soonish unless it was so bad it doesn't make it to air.

I see you are billed as "a man named Joe talks apparitions". For some reason this has me intrigued.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Lamuella posted:

just finished listening to the first half of MVP on I Want Wrestling.

Honestly, I pretty much didn't give a poo poo about MVP before, but he got himself super-over in my eyes in that interview. I now want to put MVP in charge of WWE developmental.

I'll listen to the second half tonight.

I liked MVP when he first came in and feuded with Benoit and for some time afterward. But then they failed to pull the trigger on him and started their normal routine of burying him and making him just another guy on the roster and I guess his work started to suffer and he didn't seem to be really motivated anymore (and, really, who can blame him?), so I wasn't sad to see him leave the WWE.

After listening to the interview, I'm really impressed with him for taking control of his career and walking away from guaranteed money to follow his dream. It's a shame that there aren't many opportunities for guys to do that anymore, so they just end up lingering in the WWE, collecting a pay-check until Vince decides it's time to get rid of them.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I'm now considering joining twitter specifically to follow Fake Bryan Alvarez.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Protip: searching for "granny's gang" on google will not, in fact, lead you to her facebook page.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Hearing Dave try to use a sports analogy with Bryan made up for the inevitable week of hearing about Bryan and Ed's tame Vegas adventures. The worst week of the year is hearing about wrestling geeks exclaiming how wild and crazy they were at the STRIP CLUB getting DRUNK.

I could sort of relate to Bryan, because I know and care jack poo poo about American Football. I realize Dave had a point he was trying to make and I understood perfectly what the point was, but he could clearly have made it in 30 seconds instead of 10 minutes. Still, Dave's long-windedness and semi-incoherent tangents have a sort of charm to them, and are part of the appeal of the shows, I guess.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Getting confirmation that NXT was a shoot is kind of mind blowing. Obviously it was likely that the fan voting was legitimate but finding out the pros voting was legitimate was shocking.

I haven't listened to the interview yet, but if Low Ki outright confirms it, then consider my mind blown as well. I will never, ever understand why they would do that. Have a shoot competition to find their next star and then proceed to bury the guy that legit won the competition and got himself over both with the audience and with his peers, because that's not the guy they wanted to win the thing in the first place. Imagine if Dana White ran the UFC that way. It's complete insanity.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Ok, after listening to that Todd/Bryan show, I'm through with this seriously analysing the pro-wrestling business bullshit. I now want all-kayfabe shows all the time.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Real answer: I think that most people here are kinda witty and funny, so as long as it doesn't turn into people getting on air and calling other PSPers dicks or jackaninnies, it should be okay.

I had never before in my life encountered the word "jackaninny". Urban Dictionary tells me it has something to do with "Massachusetts drivers who have no right to have a drivers' license, usually preceded by various 4 letter words".

I think I would be interested in a podcast centered around calling people jackannnies and other colourful insults.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I can't listen to Wrestling Weekly, mainly because that whistling sound that Les makes whenever he says a word with the letter 's' in it drives me loving crazy after 30 seconds. Which is too bad, because even though I don't always agree with him, he can certainly speak with some authority about the business and I like to hear his perspective on the current product.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Well, that's just, y'know, the nature of the beast.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I was on Title Bout Trivia this week and won the UFC DVD. Me and the other guy knew all the answers to all 8 questions (I think he was cheating though :( ). I'm Sean from Kansas.

I listened to The Law, but skipped over the Title Bout Trivia segment. Wasn't the prize this week a copy of Vince Russo's book? Or was that a SWERVE?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Every time The French Stallion says "Bro," a wrestler gets his abs.

I like it when he talks about hanging out with his "bodies" in the locker room. The French Stallion is the greatest thing to come out of France since Camembert. :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Oatgan posted:

The fact that Randy Orton has seen Scorpion King 2 leads me to believe that in his days off he sits at home, not wearing any pants, watching lovely movies on Netflix Instant. This is a disturbing thing.

Fixed that for you.

Akileese posted:

So a bit late but did anyone listen to the observer radio with Luke from tough enough? I couldn't tell if he was just being in character or if the guy really is a douchebag. I'd say it's 50/50 either way.

I think maybe he has just the right amount of cockiness and is enough of a self-assured douchebag to make it in the wrestling business (which, of course, is about 150% above of what you should have to be a normal human being). Also, he's a young guy doing his first major round of interviews and he seems hellbent on taking the opportunity to get himself over. It would be interesting to see, a few years from now, assuming he's still around, whether he mellowed out considerably, as seems to be the case with a lot of guys once they reach a certain stage in their careers.

• Locked thread