Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
God bless Dave Meltzer, he's the greatest sperg alive.

:v:: Dave, how was the weekend?

:spergin:: It was pretty fun. I didn't have as much work to do, so I researched all the NWA championship matches from 1949 to 1983.

:stare:: All of the m-matches?...

Borh fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I usually skip the call-in segments on The Law, but you guys made me go back and listen. Holy poo poo!

The good news is I'm now ready to pronounce this as the greatest angle ever: the smarks are buzzing, the marks are all riled up, everybody is talking and excited about what's going to happen. Great job all around.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

LordPants posted:

Bryan: Up next was the divas match...
Dave: Oh jesus christ...
Bryan: *prattles off name of Wrestlers*
Dave: What the hell was this?

One day Meltzer is finally gonna snap and it won't be pretty.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

The Bruno Sammartino interview is up. I should make Bruno laughing the email notification on my phone. Hearing that all day would make every day that much better.

But he's a bitter old man who hates everyone. How can this be possible?

Edit: I'm listening now, and while I totally understand Bruno's concerns about the film being true to his life story, I would pay good money to see a movie about Bruno Sammartino running around New York with Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack.

Borh fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 21, 2011

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

He was being hyperbolic as usual, but he has a point. A good ref can enhance a match, but he should be subtle about it and take care not to distract the audience by being too exuberant. Even worse is when the ref seems to be trying to draw attention to himself on purpose, as is the case with Brian Hebner's bright blue shoes, which also annoy the gently caress out of me.

Borh fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 22, 2011

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

The first three episodes were on youtube for a bit, and might be still floating around on file sharing sites. I had no luck finding anything after that.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Yeah, that's my problem with that as well. It's all well and good to ask your viewers to stick with you when you try something different if you have a track record of being able to follow-up on the storylines you start and bringing things to a satisfying conclusion. WWE has burned through a tremendous amount of goodwill in the past decade, so asking people to stick their hands in the fire for them after they got burned a bunch of times is a bit too much. That being said, I'm still enjoying the Punk angle (though I was enjoying it more before this week's Raw) and I have faith in Punk and his commitment to telling a good story. It's towards Vince and Stephanie that I like to keep a healthy distrust.

Also, I really had to laugh at some of the bullshit Punk came out with, such as not having decided whether or not he was going to leave the company until after the MITB match.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I would pay good money for an audiobook of Granny reading the phone book.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

triplexpac posted:

A guy asked Vince about the drug and steroid testing program from years ago, and Vince said he didn't understand the question and told the guy to stand up and take his shirt off. Those dirty words ended the Q and A quite abruptly.

Yep, that was Brent.

Also noteworthy is the story of how Bryan Alvarez met Brent Kremen. Bryan was once at a WWE house show, when he saw a guy get evicted from the arena after throwing a bottle of water at Sid. He thought to himself, "Jesus Christ, what a weirdo". Sometime later Bryan was at another show and started talking to a guy who bragged about having once been kicked out of a WWE show for throwing a bottle at a wrestler... and the rest is history.

Borh fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 3, 2011

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

He looks gassed at about the fourth one. If he tried to go for 20, he'd just fall backwards at some point and the other guy would pin him.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Yeah, just about any gimmick that showcases how Bryan is a great technical wrestler and actually a pretty tough guy and not, in fact, a NERD would work great for him, because he can then back it up in the ring. I think people can naturally see that, which is why he managed to get relatively over even with poor booking and Cole burying him, but sometimes you need a hook to really bring it home, and something like that could be it.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Nobody listens to Michael Cole to form their opinions on wrestlers. He's annoying and his commentary has been lovely as hell and they're using his tremendous heat generating potential in all the wrong ways but calling Daniel Bryan a nerd isn't making a single person on the entire planet think,"Man I guess I shouldn't support Daniel Bryan, because that guy who everybody hates and thinks is stupid says he is a nerd."

I don't think people are actively taking their cues about who to like from Michael Cole, but he's more insidious and does more harm than you'd think. The problem is, he's actually very good at what he does, so while he's being over the top and ranting wildly, he's actually saying a few things that are true. So when he says, for example "look at that guy, he's so small, how can he call himself a wrestler?" or when he harps on about botched spots or clunky moves or how bad a match is, he's actively drawing your attention to stuff that a good announcer should be covering up. And then subconsciously you might go "hey, that guy really doesn't look very physically impressive" or, "yeah, he really screwed up there", or "this isn't a good match" and then get hung up on that instead of whatever positive qualities a wrestler or a match might have.

It's like he read a textbook about how to do pro-wrestling commentary and is doing the exact opposite. And drat the man, he's really good at it.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Akileese posted:

Well you can only bring on so many former writers who want to come on and talk about the product so that was a necessary change.

I keep waiting for the day they get rid of Gewirtz (or he finally burns out and decides to leave). The poo poo that guy must have seen and been involved in for the past ten years would be enough for a dozen podcasts.

I see Lagana has put up an interview with Chavo. Has anybody checked it out yet? Is it worth a listen?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Endorph posted:

I guess things are going south for him.

He's moving to Mexico? :confused:

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Ha ha, Piper sounded like he had just came back from Afghanistan after attending the Gathering of the Juggalos. Had to laugh at him mentioning "Snoopy Doggy" was there.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Just listened to the B&V show featuring Abba. That ending is up there with the one where they got rickrollled by a shout-out and Bryan decided he was just gonna play the whole song and live mix it with Khali drops.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I sometimes try to give the callers on The Law a chance because, hey, they're wrestling fans like me, maybe they have some interesting opinions to share. But something inevitably happens like this week, where the very first guy that called decided to ask the hosts if they could tell him how to get free tickets to Survivor Series and whether they remembered a sign he took to a WWE PPV in 2006, or something, and I go back to skipping straight to the Dave Meltzer segment.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Karl Stern is doing a series on the History of Wrestling. His first two shows have covered the entire pioneer era up to Gotch/Hackenschmidt. This is a period in wrestling that is only rarely covered and most fans have literally no clue about it. Definitely check it out.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually find Stern a bit dry, but I'll definitely give the series a try.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

"After I teach that motherfucking cat how to walk on two legs, I'm gonna teach it how to run the ropes".

I may be the only one, but I legit :lol:'d at that line.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

A BALLIN LUNCH!! posted:

Granny was really unfunny and terrible again. I wish more people would tell him this so it would stop

The more people tell him that, the more time he's going to give to the Granny segments. If you didn't know better, you might even think Bryan Alvarez enjoys seeing people get all worked up about stuff like this. ;)

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Web Jew.0 posted:

* Beer Machine

See now, there's a word combination that immediately makes me reach for my credit card.

Oh, you mean as a wrestling tag team? Heh, that's fine as well, I guess.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Lamuella posted:

It's actually more like 60-70%, but even if it were 90%, it wouldn't mean that the human body was massively affected by tidal forces from the moon, as Shane was saying.

Ha Ha Ha!! What the hell? That's straight out of the Middle Ages.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

You also have to consider that Meltzer has been covering pro-wrestling, and doing it as a full-time job, for a very long loving time. Considering all the poo poo he's seen, heard, and had knowledge of (some of it we can't even guess at), for him not be completely burned out at this point is close to a miracle.

On the other hand, he has also seen a lot of pro wrestling done right, so putting up with some of the bullshit that's presented nowadays must be a lot harder for him than for the average viewer. Yet he still retains a huge enthusiasm for the business as a whole, and as many people who met him would testify, he will talk to anybody about wrestling for hours at length if given the slightest provocation.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

I don't think there's anything to "get" about Dave Meltzer, except that he's a huge sperg whose area of expertise happens to be professional wrestling. Also, by all accounts, he's a pretty cool dude.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the guy and really enjoy listening to WOR, but I realize that it takes some getting used to, you know, the way, you know, his brain works, and the way he sometimes, you know, gets hung up on stuff and seems to be, you know, debating with himself, instead of, you know, getting to whatever point he's trying to make.

Still, the guy is a treasure in terms of wrestling knowledge and insight and he's right about stuff a lot more often than he's wrong. He also maintains a lot of enthusiasm and positivity about the business and to me that helps some of his quirkiness become a lot more palatable, or even endearing.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I feel bad for anyone taking a break from F4W/WO because today's Bryan and Vinny show was awesome.

It was... something, I'll give you that. :stare: Never has horns.aiff been more appropriate.

I'm thinking I need to get in on the haiku action.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Yeah, between Granny planing her own memorial, the review of a match where we saw a legend dying before our eyes and the abrupt ending, the show was a bit jarring. I liked it, though, for being something different. The ending especially, I thought was fitting and an inspired decision. There was nothing more to say, no song they could have played would have been appropriate, so they just stopped. I wish Flair would do the same.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Ric Flair might be sad, but the way people act about him is worse. At least Flair knows who he is.

No, he really doesn't. Flair thinks he's the man he was 20 years ago. The thing is, up until recently, if you worked hard to suspend disbelief and didn't look too closely, you could almost believe he was. What happened this week on Impact made it abundantly clear that that is no longer the case.

How can people wishing that Flair holds on to what's left of his health (not to mention his dignity) be in any conceivable way sadder than Flair himself being compelled (be it by his financial circumstances, or by his poor decision making, or by his love of the business, or what have you) to go on long after he should have stopped?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Ric Flair has been making poor decisions for pro wrestling for longer than most of us have lived. You don't stop that. You watch it burn out.

Doesn't mean I have to like it, or even not wish it could be different.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

The legendary Roller Derby issue has been posted. I'm not sure why they posted it, but go read it.

People complain about too much MMA in the Observer, Dave responds by writing massive in-depth articles about sports only tangentially related to wrestling. Next up in the series: medieval jousting.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Akileese posted:

If you listened to the B and V show today. Dear god check the youtube video for bashful brother oswald - end of the world. That outfit + the pompador. Holy poo poo.

gently caress it. I'm including the link because I feel like if you don't see it you're missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfTvvcqghc

Ha ha, I made a mental not to check it out when I heard the show, but then completely forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I don't care if he's wearing what appears to be overalls on top of pyjamas. Bashful Brother Oswald was the man.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Nope, sadly. But the Bryan and Vinny show, which is up tomorrow I think, should be free and pretty drat amazing.

I'm listening now and they're doing a segment by segment comparison between this week's Raw and the one with Jeremy Piven and Ken Jeong as GM's from 2009, so it's off to a great start. And yeah, it's a free show.

Edit: oh God, they just mentioned that was the show where HHH lost a 2-on-1 match to Rhodes and DiBiase, then suddenly flicked a switch, sold the beatdown by going "Ow! Ow! That sure hurt." and started cutting a comedy promo that eventually led to another DX reunion. That show really gave last night's a run for its money.

Borh fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 12, 2011

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Is that the same show where London and Kendrick came out to help him from and he just Pedigree'd them after?

No, not the same one. This, however, was also memorable for being the Raw where Miz was BANNED FROM THE SUMMERFEST~!

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Holy loving poo poo, that relay call.

:phone:: "Can I ask another question? Go ahead."

:stare:: "NO. Go ahead."

Also: "Could you please spell 'Steelers'?"

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

For those of you who don't listen to the Steve Sims shows, the following exchange took place:

(Talking about Dr. X, a midcarder who was killed in a shooting a few days ago)

Bryan: So, what level of star was he, how would you rank him?

Sims: Well, right now I'd rate him at the level of a Bobby Roode because he can't win any titles.

:ughh:

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Rick posted:

All numbers directly attributable to John Cena (like ratings, merchandise sales) have maintained or even rose as the rest of the business declined.

How are ratings more directly attributable to Cena than PPV buys, considering he's been in the main event of the vast majority of PPV's for the last 4/5 years?

Not that ratings have exactly maintained, either. Average ratings for Raw since 2005, the year Cena was drafted to the show:

2005: 3.81
2006: 3.90
2007: 3.61
2008: 3.27
2009: 3.57
2010: 3.28
2011: 3.24

I would look at it more as a gradual decline, with 2008 being a very bad year, followed by a rebound in 2009 and then back to the downward trend.

That being said, I agree that Cena still is the closest thing we have to a draw in this day and age, and he should eventually go in.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Rick posted:

Because you can see what ratings individual segments generated.

That's true to some extent, buy I would contend that by being in the main-event segment (last 15 minutes + overrun), which Cena is more often than not, he's always gonna get better ratings than the guys in the death quarters. This is taking nothing away from Cena, because I'm well aware of the fact that if they put Jack Swagger vs. Ted DiBiase in the main event, the rating would almost surely be smaller. But to me, simply saying Cena brings ratings while everything else does not is simplifying things too much.

Conversely, if Cena is consistently on top of the card on PPV and the PPV buyrates are steadily declining you would, at least in theory, place some of the blame for that on the guy who's headlining the shows. Same holds true for other metrics, such as house show gates. Cena may be drawing better than anyone else on the roster, but he's been drawing less and less over the years. But again here, I believe other factors have to be considered, so it's not a clear-cut cause and effect situation.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Perigryn posted:

Dave was funny going off on wrestlers who make fools of themselves on Twitter using Slater's recent rant as a starting point, lol.

"Matt Hardy, you're a moron, don't go on twitter."

:qq: "Oh, but I wanna be on it!" :qq:

"NO! Stay off it."

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

What?

If ever there was an appropriate time for a crowd to chant that...

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Arbite posted:

These guys are great.

I usually stay away from THE BOARD, except to look for the occasional Dave post, and today I was rewarded with Meltzer taking his no-selling jokes gimmick to the next level.

Thread title was: "Bryan vs Vince russo in a shoot fight WHO WINS"

Dave posted:

Seriously, a 52-year-old non-athlete is going to have no conditioning whatsoever.

If it doesn't end in 30 seconds, it wouldn't be pretty.

He'd be subbed easily. I mean easily.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

" I gotta deal with my kids and my baby mamas, and now I gotta deal with this BULLSHIT?"

Urban Wrestling Federation is the greatest thing ever, if only for listening to Bryan and Vinnie review it.

UWF must never die. It's the one small-time indy promotion I'm really rooting for, even if I have close to zero interest in seeing their actual product.

• Locked thread