Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I let my F4W subscription lapse because I got burned out on Bryan and there's just way too little Rob Naylor action on Dr Keith Presents these days :(

The only show I consistently like on the site now is Adam & Mike, who I love despite not giving a poo poo about hockey and only having a passing acquaintance with Puro.

Oh well I might sign up again at some point. The PPV reports are always worth listening to. But really, there should be Naylor content every week. He's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

Best thing about this was Bryan pointing out in incredulity that WADE BARRETT was drawing a better rating than Hogan/Flair. Considering that WWE has legit made Wade Barrett into a star, it's kind of fun to listen back to when he was nobody.

They might be pushing him but he's by no means a draw. I like him but there's a difference between simply being booked well and being a decent promo/worker, and drawing ratings/money.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

He's very deadpan, but I do think he was genuinely surprised that Bryan's afraid of water.

This whole affair just EXPOSES Alvarez for the terrible booker/writer that he is. If he had told us about all of this before his BATTLE~ with Vinny it would have given that kiddie pool spot so much more impact :bahgawd:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Todd Martin is great and he is often the only one to present a differing point of view on WO/F4W. It gets really stale hearing Bryan and Dave discussing something and agreeing about the state of affairs, then have Bryan rant on the B&V show about the same thing with Vinny agreeing, then have him go through the same goddamn points with Lance who agrees. Todd is wrong sometimes, but a lot of the time his points are at least as valid as whatever hyperbole Bryan is spouting.

I like Todd. Haters gonna hate and all that.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

Dr. Keith, Dave Meltzer and Rob Naylor talking about 90210 has to happen now.

I would honest-to-god pay them extra cash if it meant this could be arranged.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

How do people feel about the Dr Keith shows on F4W? I'm listening to the most recent Road to Wrestlemania one, I am enjoying it. I like that they give a more casual fan perspective, just liking poo poo without getting too crazy about analysing it.

Alan4L is delightfully positive and enthusiastic but not exactly a smooth host for a podcast. I usually listen to the DKP shows if Rob Naylor or someone else that I know to be amazing is on, but if it's just Alan/Eamo/justin umming and aahing their way through BOARD jokes I leave it.

I really miss Dr Keith though. How dare his kid take him away from the podcasting world. Motherfucker. If you haven't heard the old shows that Dr Keith hosted, get your rear end over to the audio archive right away.

edit: Also, the Adam & Mike Big Audio Nightmare is loving great, and I saw that as someone who follows neither Puro nor Hockey. Mike Sempervive is probably the best (or at the very least the most udnerrated) host on WO/F4W. Him and Adam can talk japanese wrestling forveer and I'll enjoy listening to it despite not knowing who 90% of the guys mentioned are.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 1, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The Board is in many ways a fantastic social experiment, the more I look at it.

I dunno, I just find a lot of the supposed hardboarding legends to be huge letdowns when you actually see their posts. Rovert seems to have a rep as some sort of legendary troll but all his posting is really limp and low-effort and not even good trolling most of the time.
Lemme tell ya these dorks wouldn't last three days on SA. Heh.
*strokes neckbeard*

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
DC SNIPER really is the best gimmick over there. Mad dedication to his craft*

* calling people faggots and never using lowercase

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I'm the guest on After Dark tomorrow. Should be fun considering how carefully I have to watch my language. Can't talk about any specifics.

This might be the worst show ever.

Pitch NWA:MS to him off the air! This is paramount!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The latest Wrestling Observer Radio with Dave and Bryan in Las Vegas was loving tremendous. There wasn't a whole lot of news to discuss, but Dave was in the form of his life. I was laughing out loud on the train.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if these will be funny to someone who's unfamiliar with Dave meltzer, but the first one drat near killed me.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The funniest thing about newcomers thinking the stories form Vegas are pathetic is that they haven't even been acquainted with Ed in San Antonio yet.

Short version: Hugely fat mexican-american guy who brags about driving drunk, getting high and loving hookers (like, seriously brags about the hookers he's paid to gently caress). Also fell in love with a lap dancer at some club in Las Vegas.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get the Todd hate.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess you might be right about that. I just find it refreshing to have someone disagree with Bryan about anything from time to time. I mean it's not like Dave/Bryan/Vinny/Lance are ever gonna disagree about... well, anything of significance. After hearing Bryan make some point to Dave on the sunday show, Vinny on the tuesday B&V and then do the same goddamn routine (complete with high pitched shouting) to Lance on Wednesday I'm unironically happy to have someone, anyone, even Todd come in and disagree just so Bryan won't just do the same tired rant for a fourth time.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

If you want the other side of the coin there is always Wrestling Weekly as Les usually sees things differently than Dave and Bryan.

Yeah, but what I wish for is actual debate, not just a different echo chamber. There's no way I put myself through the ordeal of listening to the dead air/stale banter/tired "jokes" that is wrestling weekly, even if there had been potential for spirited discussion. It's just awkward as all hell (and I really did listen to it, way past week 5/6)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mark is amazing and I wish they got him back on. Just force him to watch some new PPV and ask for his thoughts.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Bryan's rant about refs on the most recent B&V show was rather asinine. Has he ever gotten pissed over a big tatted up dude like Josh Rosenthal reffing bantamweight fights?

MMA fans understand the importance of weight divisions.

Wrestling has no weight divisions. It's simply "be able to gently caress everyone else up"

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Punk may actually read WH2K.

:ughh:

Yes, and Jon Stewart is a goon

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moose Bigelow posted:

Agreed. I quit taking him seriously when he went on his UFC is complicit in pushing steroids rant.

He's also got some really inane libertarian leanings. But that's par for the course in wrestlers.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

I have never really noticed this. He always just seemed Canadian when politics came up. I've never noticed him angered by universal health care or anything like that. In fact, his position on drugs is pretty much the opposite of libertarian.

I know there have been more examples, but the one I can recall is him insisting that employers should be allowed to pretty much demand whatever they want of their employees. Because if they don't like it "they can always just walk". He had another couple of these moments but I've forgotten the specifics. iirc he defended them for a bit on the board after people pointed them out as well

Also Dennis Miller is one of his favourite comedians :ughh:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Possibly, yes. Either way the first 25 minutes or so was loving horrendous. Bryan and Dave stumbling over each other and doing the worst sort of pussyfooting around the subject of steroids. Constantly going "but there are guys who..." and then trailing off or waffling back and forth. It's as if the mere word "steroids" could kill them or something.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't know if they were having the same problem but I find guys in the business do everything possible to avoid accusing a guy of being on the juice. I never had that problem because if a guy wants to use steroids, in my mind go ahead. It's a travesty these guys can't have doctors watching them and supplying them and have to get it on the streets. Then again, I'm a dirty lefty.

It's not that they can't accuse certain guys of juicing, it's that they seem unable to, even in general terms, say something as direct as "people juice". It's a constant stream of "And there are clearly guys who... well I shouldn't say clearly, but clearly... you know. It's like... Let me put it this way, I see a lot of guys at the gym who are clearly on stuff and you can tell. But...". On and on and loving on.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I think I need to step away from F4W for a while. Bryan is reaching critical mass of annoying to me of late, and I'll be needing a bit of respite from him to recharge.

Yeah I've declined to re-subscribe every now and then when I need a break from Bryan. I generally like him but loving HELL when he gets hung up on some poo poo and bring up the same, shrill rant in four consecutive shows I tend to let my subscription expire and re-sub a month or two later, when I've forgotten how annoyed I was.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Todd is great and is a welcome change from the usual routine of Bryan doing the same boring rant with Dave, then Vinny, then Lance and so on.

Every now and then Todd says something really stupid but for the most part he's a really good addition to the site. Haters gonna hate and all that.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Todd rules

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Borh posted:

I don't have much use for PDF's, though I can see why some people would want them, but I wish Meltzer would just hire a guy to spend a couple of hours every week proof-reading the Observer and fixing up the formatting. Hell, get Vinny to do it. It's not a deal-breaker, because ultimately it's the content that matters and that's far and above anything else that's available, but between Dave's quirky writing style and the abstruse formatting, the Observer can be pretty hard to read sometimes.

By the sound of it Dave likes to sit up til 5 in the morning finishing the newsletters, so adding a proofreading step to the process would delay things another half a day or so.

Then again I don't care about deadlines much so I wouldn't mind that.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's a testament to how good the other people on the site are that I keep subscribing in spite of Alvarez. Meltzer, Todd, Vinny, Adam & Mike, Alan4L/Justin/Eamo - hell, even Dr Lucha is entertaining to listen to on a bi-weekly basis. I let my subscription lapse from time to time and it's always due to being fed up with Bryan. I mean goddamn.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
DKP (and before the the Dr Keith Show) is always best when they just sit down and talk about the past. Stuff like Naylor/Alan/Keith discussing their favourite Fat Men of the nineties.

I miss Naylor :(

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oh, tell me about this. Was Todd on the line?

No, Dave just asked Bryan what the call out debate was about. He then proceded to be completely shocked by Todd's argument and essentially said that anyone claiming the UFC don't want their fighters doing call outs in post-fight interviews is an idiot. Although he didn't use that word.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wait wait wait... Todd actually argued that UFC doesn't want their fighters doing postmatch callouts? What?

Yup.

I'm usually defending Todd because I like him and think he makes good points a lot of the time but he was a complete idiot about this.

edit: Todd posted this over on the WO/F4W BOARD

Todd Martin posted:

E-mail I sent to Dave:

On the call outs thing, Bryan misrepresented what I said. When I said the UFC doesn't really want all the lower card and middle card guys calling out other guys, I didn't say it in the sense that they aren't asking for that. It's obvious that they are, and I acknowledged that explicitly. What I was saying is they don't really want a world in which all the guys are doing that. Like if Joey Beltran is lobbying for a fight with Junior Dos Santos, he wants a fight with Junior Dos Santos but he doesn't really want it. Be careful what you wish for.

My argument against call outs for lower and mid card fighters was as follows. Doesn't have anything to do with respect or sportsmanship, either. I'm all for that sort of thing when it comes to guys who have their next opponent set and known, or even if they have an actual issue with someone and they want to make it clear. My point was specifically responding to the way you and Bryan ridicule lower tier guys who get asked who they want to fight next and they don't have an answer, and why there's nothing wrong with that and in fact it's better they don't just call out random names for the hell of it.

1) It doesn't build fights. Nobody remembers random challenges from random guys on the undercard if those guys don't legitimately care who they fight next. By the time the fight comes around, it means even less. If anything, it just undermines when someone actually cares about challenging someone else, because by then the sentiment is watered down.
2) Joe Silva doesn't book the fights that challenges are issued for 3/4 of the time anyway. Fighters often have silly ideas of future fights, and you end up with a bunch of empty challenges that don't even lead to the fights.
3) Joe Silva is a better booker than undercard fighters. He has an idea of who should be matched up with who, and the upsides and downsides of those fights. When he lets the fighters book fights, it often ends up disastrously. See Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce.
4) If everyone did call out other guys, they'd be calling out the same 15 guys. Everyone knows who the best fighters are to build their careers, and hearing every lower level fighter in the middleweight division call out Wanderlei Silva wouldn't exactly set up a lot of fights given he can only fight one guy and it would just accentuate that everybody thinks Silva is an easy target.

So that was the argument. If a guy doesn't want to throw out a random name when they're asked after a fight, I think it's perfectly fine and I don't think they deserve scorn and ridicule for it.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 21, 2012

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

Can I just say, watching MSW (Bill Watts' MSW, not the Stro's) is like watching a whole different sport. Some weirdo world where things make sense.

Up until the last four words this would be true for current day Mountain State too

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Meltzer posted:

--C.M. Punk threw out the first pitch last night at the Cubs game at Wrigley Field before the game with the Atlanta Braves last night and sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh inning. ESPN.com noted that he could sing that song without having to read the words like it was an accomplishment. I'd be disappointed in almost anyone except Bryan Alvarez that grew up in the U.S. who couldn't sing that song without having to read the words.

:laugh:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So Mick Foley is over at the Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Festival and was on Richard Herring's podcast thing the other day

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_edinburgh/2012_07_mick_foley_gavin_webster/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Man-Thing posted:

The latest Shootcast is up.

We literally get so mad at the fact that some blondie is being paid to ref the women's division that we break a mic mid-show, and keep going!

Oh, I've been making fine jewelry RSS for years apparently: http://shootcast.org/feed/

I enjoyed this :). Letting non-fans (or non-current fans) watch wrestling is always a safe bet for good content. Although you did get carried away at a couple of points and started recapping stuff before the other guy had a chance which seemed a bit off. It didn't ruin things but it seemed odd given how the show was built around him reviewing each segment.

• Locked thread