Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Please start a new thread, it's getting worse.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gimmick Account posted:

:same:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So is there any chance the Houthis actually launched a missile which just so happened to coincide with the palace intrigue?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

So is there any chance the Houthis actually launched a missile which just so happened to coincide with the palace intrigue?

It seems like it actually was a coincidence. Probably.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Squalid posted:

The Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction released their quarterly report on the state of the Afghan conflict two days ago. The war has not been going particularly well for the United States. From the report:

I can't imagine the mental gymnastics necessary to invent the phrase "eroding stalemate."

Must be why we're seeing the CEOs of Afghan infrastructure contractors peacing the gently caress out and having UBS illegally channel their money into the US despite their existing agreements retaining their services for the next several years.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Gimmick Account posted:

ok ok I'll budget time later this week to start a new thread and add to it as I go along.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gimmick Account posted:

what happend in KSA now? i mean its already a internal coup run by overly brash rear end in a top hat who has made it worse.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what happend in KSA now? i mean its already a internal coup run by overly brash rear end in a top hat who has made it worse.

He means the thread, it's busted as poo poo. The bookmark for it permanently says there's a new post and it'll say there's a new page when there's not.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

And assuming the Hariri "resignation" is part of MBS's plan, he just made himself some new enemies in a country they can't afford to piss off too much

That's some wheels within wheels kind of poo poo. I don't know much about Hariri, other than him being in a pro-Saudi faction. How does his resignation play into the plan?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm outside so I can't talk much, but holy poo poo, WALID BIN TALAL got arrested!!!!! This is huge!!

https://twitter.com/joyce_karam/status/926914862722179073

Looks like his mile high tower is gonna be put on hold!

:stare: I didn't think people that rich were allowed to get arrested in this world.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

:stare: I didn't think people that rich were allowed to get arrested in this world.

Putin arrested a few billionaire who push back on his extortion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

Putin arrested a few billionaire who push back on his extortion.

The story of Khodorkovsky is probably a very similar case study to the Alwaleed arrest, now that you mention it. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Gonna be interesting to see what happens here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Volkerball posted:

As always through history, the state apparatus remains both the biggest threat and protector to those of wealth.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Credible reports Bakr bin Laden, head of the bin Laden group, is among those arrested. If these charges are meant to take these men down, and are successful, the financial and media world of yesterday's Saudi Arabia has been obliterated. What are you thinking Saqr? Is there anyone arrested today you were sad to see go? To me, it seems as though people are generally supportive of the measures as of right now. Does that line up with your experience? And do you have any idea what's going to happen next? It's all happening so fast. There's not even a book on MBS yet. He's just a kid.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volkerball posted:

It's pretty common in a monarchic system with little counter powers or no culture of civil rights. Also it looks more and more like someone decided they were the Saudi state/economy.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah the person who got inordinately rich under the the old regime is likely to be a threat to the new one. If anything, the absurdly wealthy do better under corrupt democracies than dictatorships (at least long term) because there are more people to bribe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Duckbox posted:

Yeah the person who got inordinately rich under the the old regime is likely to be a threat to the new one. If anything, the absurdly wealthy do better under corrupt democracies than dictatorships (at least long term) because there are more people to bribe.

Oligarchies are always better for corruption because that means power is not concentrated. No uppity monarch/dictator/revolutionary is going to take your poo poo if he's to terrified of people with poo poo deposing him. The more formalized the corruption is the better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

It's pretty common in a monarchic system with little counter powers or no culture of civil rights. Also it looks more and more like someone decided they were the Saudi state/economy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Fouquet

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Being rich but not top-dog really sucked before the French Revolution.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I was more thinking of people like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_C%C5%93ur
But yeah you would have though people like Fouquet would have known about what happen to rich people when the king needs money, people like coeur the templars and the jews.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 5, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChairMaster posted:

He means the thread, it's busted as poo poo. The bookmark for it permanently says there's a new post and it'll say there's a new page when there's not.

The first post of any new page is eaten by the forum grue. So you end up never being able to mark it as read, until there's a new new page with its own new ghost post. Ever since the thread started glitching, we've lost one post per page this way.

The workaround is double-posting when it happens to you.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RamiSafadi93/status/927212241010688000

https://twitter.com/RamiSafadi93/status/927214059199528961

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Thats a great comparison image.

I wonder how much of the civilian population could be left in an area suffering that kind of destruction, thats also been under siege for years.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Guardian hopes Saudi Arabia's plucky reformer prince isn't getting in over his head!

https://twitter.com/MadawiDr/status/927228813502746627

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This picture was taken from Jobar over 4 years ago.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Okay, what in the gently caress?!

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/927261574389215233

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Prince Mansour bin Muqrin is the son of a former Crown Prince, so he could definitely play an important role in any succession shenanigans.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Squalid posted:

Prince Mansour bin Muqrin is the son of a former Crown Prince, so he could definitely play an important role in any succession shenanigans.

Not if he's dead!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Almost certainly no coincidence.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pretty sure I've seen this as an anime plot before...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
couple of 9mm induced brain haemorrhages from a full on purge now

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Do we have any idea of who's pursuing who, or which are the factions involved?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Freezer posted:

Do we have any idea of who's pursuing who, or which are the factions involved?

were you a big deal under the previous crown prince? if so, miiiight be a good time to be somewhere else

the new crown prince is cleaning house

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Credible reports Bakr bin Laden, head of the bin Laden group, is among those arrested. If these charges are meant to take these men down, and are successful, the financial and media world of yesterday's Saudi Arabia has been obliterated. What are you thinking Saqr? Is there anyone arrested today you were sad to see go? To me, it seems as though people are generally supportive of the measures as of right now. Does that line up with your experience? And do you have any idea what's going to happen next? It's all happening so fast. There's not even a book on MBS yet. He's just a kid.

What the hell am I supposed to think? I dont give a poo poo about anybody involved, I am a little more sad about the previous group of arrests done a couple months ago because there were some decent, powerless people who had reformist mindsets, despite how naive they are.

here is a good article on what happened:-

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/05/what-happened-in-saudi-arabia-last-night-and-how-washington-corruption-enabled-it/

looks like the arrest against Walid Bin Talal was encouraged by everyone's favorite orange retard:-

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926793510723796993

Also, never ever assume automatically that saudi people generally support anything, the fact of the matter is that Saudi society is a completely servile and neutered population, they not only have a gun pointed at their head 24/7, and all of their interactions online are monitored, you also have the situation where arab media by and large has been the near total and exclusive domain of the royal family for decades, WE DONT HAVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF A CIVIL SOCIETY, so people have been so thoroughly propagandized, afraid, indoctrinated, etc. that the Idea that you're going to ever see anything other than praise and wonder and love for each and every thing that the powers that be does to them or gifts them is insane, people have been clamoring for change but what the government is doing is capitalizing on that desire to feed people a ton of different poisons that will gently caress us all over and that are just outright blatant free market scams that dont qualitatively improve the society. dont ever expect a public outcry from this completely destroyed and indoctrinated and reactionary situation at any point until the country collapses under its many failures, because people dont have a choice.

I dont know what's happening next, but one thing is for sure, this is a really dramatic and violent takeover of power and we are making this transition from what was generally a kind of laid back authoritarianism that wouldnt really come and get you unless you actually did something against the government, into a full scale egyptian style fist in your face police state, where there isnt even room to be SILENT on the things you disagree with and really a whipping up of false chauvanism and false patriotism mixed in with a full privatization of the country as a whole through the barrel of a gun, it's definitely a situation now that the government wont even tolerate the grumblings people would normally do in the privacy of their homes or on social media.

In terms of corruption, it's pretty clear that this is just going to be a change of who does the corruption rather than any qualitative difference. There's one thing for sure, is that the people who are going to be the power players next have sowed so many seeds, and have hosed up so much in the region, I am not quite sure even they know what the gently caress they're doing beyond reacting with no vision beyond that.

All we can do is wait and see.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 6, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yup, straight up purge

https://twitter.com/Ali_H_Soufan/status/927309277198512128

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Al-Saqr posted:

What the hell am I supposed to think? I dont give a poo poo about anybody involved, I am a little more sad about the previous group of arrests done a couple months ago because there were some decent, powerless people who had reformist mindsets, despite how naive they are.

here is a good article on what happened:-

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/05/what-happened-in-saudi-arabia-last-night-and-how-washington-corruption-enabled-it/

looks like the arrest against Walid Bin Talal was encouraged by everyone's favorite orange retard:-

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926793510723796993

Also, never ever assume automatically that saudi people generally support anything, the fact of the matter is that Saudi society is a completely servile and neutered population, they not only have a gun pointed at their head 24/7, and all of their interactions online are monitored, you also have the situation where arab media by and large has been the near total and exclusive domain of the royal family for decades, WE DONT HAVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF A CIVIL SOCIETY, so people have been so thoroughly propagandized, afraid, indoctrinated, etc. that the Idea that you're going to ever see anything other than praise and wonder and love for each and every thing that the powers that be does to them or gifts them is insane, people have been clamoring for change but what the government is doing is capitalizing on that desire to feed people a ton of different poisons that will gently caress us all over and that are just outright blatant free market scams that dont qualitatively improve the society. dont ever expect a public outcry from this completely destroyed and indoctrinated and reactionary situation at any point until the country collapses under its many failures, because people dont have a choice.

I dont know what's happening next, but one thing is for sure, this is a really dramatic and violent takeover of power and we are making this transition from what was generally a kind of laid back authoritarianism that wouldnt really come and get you unless you actually did something against the government, into a full scale egyptian style fist in your face police state, where there isnt even room to be SILENT on the things you disagree with and really a whipping up of false chauvanism and false patriotism mixed in with a full privatization of the country as a whole through the barrel of a gun, it's definitely a situation now that the government wont even tolerate the grumblings people would normally do in the privacy of their homes or on social media.

In terms of corruption, it's pretty clear that this is just going to be a change of who does the corruption rather than any qualitative difference. There's one thing for sure, is that the people who are going to be the power players next have sowed so many seeds, and have hosed up so much in the region, I am not quite sure even they know what the gently caress they're doing beyond reacting with no vision beyond that.

All we can do is wait and see.

so are the saudi princes/rich fucks getting arrested just getting capped in the head in some tunnel in Riyadh or is there some big show trial poo poo planned. also can you explain who is doing the capping(i assume its the "reformer" prince who got people into the super war in yemen) and who is getting purged.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

HOLY poo poo ABDULAZIZ BIN FAHAD?!

Ok, I dont know what the gently caress is going on, I have no idea what the gently caress is gonna happen, either a civil war in the royal family is gonna happen, or alot of princes are gonna die, either ways, MbS is setting up a ton of grudges that might bite him in the very near future. and the fact that he thinks that killing off the leading children isnt gonna rock things in the very near future is really insane.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This seems pretty well planned. I would be very worried about 'disappearing' if I were those people who they rounded up the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The copter where he died was dangerously near the Yemen border. Despite the timeliness of it, I'd think "shot down by MBS's thugs" isn't the most likely scenario here.

• Locked thread