Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Typo posted:

i think w/e legitimacy the soviets had in the intervention went away when they killed the government which invited them in

You might have finally stumbled onto a first principle from which we can build a lasting philosophy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sergg posted:

You mean when the Soviet military was invited into Afghanistan, where it proceeded to assassinate President Hafizullah Amin, the man who invited them in, 3 months after they arrived, purged his followers, couped the government, and put their own supporters in power before proceeding to depopulate the countryside and deliberately targeting civilians, killing up to 2 million Afghans?

Amin was a dipshit along with the rest of the Khalqis. The PDPA were better than most of the absolute trash that fought against them, however. Also, lol at retarded Pakistani and Saudi puppet warlords that failed to topple the bankrupt and outnumbered PDPA until 1992.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
lol for all are troops about to die in yemen

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Human Grand Prix posted:

Amin was a dipshit along with the rest of the Khalqis. The PDPA were better than most of the absolute trash that fought against them, however. Also, lol at retarded Pakistani and Saudi puppet warlords that failed to topple the bankrupt and outnumbered PDPA until 1992.

As long as the Soviets kept up supplying the Afghan communists with airplanes and $$$ they probably could have held onto kabul for a long time, but I guess once the USSR fell the pipeline for both of those things went away

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/SyrianShabab/status/846261369599090688

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

wooooeeeeee

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

fishmech posted:

No war is legal in the first place, there's nothing that makes any given war more illegal.

this is dumb as hell even for you, fishmech

International Law has multiple provisions for armed conflict, and there can absolutely be armed conflict initiated within the confines of international law. Hell, there can be cases where armed conflict is legal and legitimate even without U.N. Security Council resolution, but with one you really don't have an argument here.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

is this unprecedented?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's have a legal war, on the dance floor

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Tweezer Reprise posted:

is this unprecedented?

No, rebel groups put out mostly bullshit claims of shoot-downs every other week.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

OhFunny posted:

As interesting as this discussion of a war that ended before I was born is. Let's focus on wars' that are happening now.

Like the United States readying itself to wade deeper into the Yemeni Civil War to back the Saudis and UAE.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/846149052525957121

To think that a large amount of people thought that Trump wouldn't get nose deep in some foreign war.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Rebels are composed soely of Sunni jihadists while the government has both Sunnis and Shias. For example

http://al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2017/03/russia-syria-chechnya-ramzan-kadyrov-fighters.html

US drones starting to hit Al Qaeda targets in Hama

https://twitter.com/ehli_sam/status/846336672249851904

Rebels attacking "seperatist militia" YPG in Allepo to maintain integrity of Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFGv2LsJWU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

khwarezm posted:

To think that a large amount of people thought that Trump wouldn't get nose deep in some foreign war.

Even some major outlets that should have known better presented him as the anti-war candidate, despite promising to escalate the intensity of bombing and torture. Turns out being incoherent means people can read what they want to read into your statements.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Rebels are composed soely of Sunni jihadists while the government has both Sunnis and Shias.

Is there a breakdown by sect/religion of the rebel forces? Are there any non-Sunnis even fighting within the FSA brand anymore?

What about the non-Muslims in Syria?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Human Grand Prix posted:

Is there a breakdown by sect/religion of the rebel forces? Are there any non-Sunnis even fighting within the FSA brand anymore?

What about the non-Muslims in Syria?

Never heard of any non Sunnis fighting for the rebels although there are Turkmen militias, who are really just Turkish proxies and not jihadists. According to the AAS guy on Reddit there are Kurds fighting for the various jihadist groups too. They are all still Sunnis of course.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The vast majority of fighters on every side of the conflict are there for political reasons. Even the Hezbollah and Mahdi Army guys fighting for Assad are there to prop up the Syrian government. Most ISIS fighters are conscripts and Sunni tribesmen who hate the Iraqi and Syrian governments. Never get trapped into the common fallacy that your enemies are mindless fanatics. We were able to kick Al Qaeda out of Anbar simply by cutting checks with enough zeroes to the local sheikhs and their guys.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Human Grand Prix posted:

The final death knell to the Najibullah government was the defection of Dostum and his army of Uzbeks, who were good faithful Communists until they became good faithful Mujahedeen when the political situation changed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Iron Rose posted:

International Law has multiple provisions for armed conflict, and there can absolutely be armed conflict initiated within the confines of international law. Hell, there can be cases where armed conflict is legal and legitimate even without U.N. Security Council resolution, but with one you really don't have an argument here.

International war law is a fake concept used to provide retroactive cover to the victors in a conflict.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mediadave posted:

No, rebel groups put out mostly bullshit claims of shoot-downs every other week.

More to the point there have already been several Russian helicopters shot down/crashed/destroyed on the ground during combat in contested areas.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When you think about it, every law is a fake concept.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Has something happened in France where all the pro Assad candidates are on the back foot now

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

International law is a joke because it always defaults to whoever has the biggest guns gets to make the law. It is applied exclusively to the failed leaders of fourth-rate states after NATO bombs their garbage and replaces them with some more agreeable stooge.

Citing international law is a lot like being a Sovereign Citizen. It's an interesting theory but it's not going to keep the cop from whipping your rear end.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

fake thread

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's not that Mattis is wrong here (except the part about doing everything possible to avoid civilian casualties is obviously dumb hyperbole), but this attitude that being better than the other guy makes anything we do acceptable is going to get a lot of people killed.

https://twitter.com/wjhenn/status/846378467897888768

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Rent-A-Cop posted:

International law is a joke because it always defaults to whoever has the biggest guns gets to make the law. It is applied exclusively to the failed leaders of fourth-rate states after NATO bombs their garbage and replaces them with some more agreeable stooge.

Cat Mattress posted:

When you think about it, every law is a fake concept.

But seriously tho, who else but the one (or grouping of) with the biggest stick could possibly enforce international law. Organizations like the international criminal court are cool and good in theory, but in practice they have no real bite and I don't see how this could realistically change in our current political situation.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You could make the same argument about all laws really

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flavahbeast posted:

You could make the same argument about all laws really
Even hilarious kleptocratic narcostates like North Korea enforce their national laws with a greater degree of fairness than international law has ever been enforced by the West.

You are right in that it is a matter of degree. No law is perfect or totally independent of the lawmakers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/arisroussinos/status/846356884777046016

SDF/Coalition forces have entered Tabqa military airbase, which is a big deal not just because it's obviously a major step in fully capturing Tabqa dam and Al Thawrah, but once it's up and running again it will be the first major airfield under SDF control and will likely play a key role in coalition power projection in the near future

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ehhh, that's regime property. I certainly don't give a poo poo, but there's a whole can of worms there and I'm not sure the US is going to want to open it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/846242063687442433

Hmmm

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It would be a real stretch to apply that logic to Yemen on the Saudi side.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

It would be a real stretch to apply that logic to Yemen on the Saudi side.

Long term if you narrowly commit genocide you have to commit to fewer wars.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Volkerball posted:

Ehhh, that's regime property. I certainly don't give a poo poo, but there's a whole can of worms there and I'm not sure the US is going to want to open it.
Under Obama we'd probably be more cautious, but under the current administration I fully expect the SDF to repair Tabqa and make it yet another airbase. We haven't seemed to give a crap about what Assad thinks before this, why start now?

Something to keep in mind: the regime may publicly not be happy with it, but behind closed doors I bet quite a few SAA generals are glad the base is out of ISIL's hands. Tabqa isn't just an airbase, it was the site of a horrific massacre about two and a half years ago:
http://syriadirect.org/news/anatomy-of-a-massacre-part-i-the-march/
http://syriadirect.org/news/anatomy-of-a-massacre-part-i-the-march-continued/
http://syriadirect.org/news/anatomy-of-a-massacre-part-ii-the-killing/
(Gruesome stuff in these links, click with extreme caution)

quote:

On August 27, the Islamic State executed an estimated 160 Syrian army soldiers captured at Tabqa military airbase and surrounding desert settlements.

On August 28, an Islamic State fighter confirmed the authenticity of a video documenting the march, transport, and execution of these prisoners of war. *

According to this video, at about 12:00 pm on August 27, Islamic State gunmen stripped and marched prisoners captured at desert settlements roughly 20 to 30km southwest of Tabqa airbase approximately 12km north to grain silos under their control.

From capture to kill, Islamic State captors humiliated and tortured their prisoners, stripping them, marching them barefoot across the desert, beating and insulting them. They were labeled “Nusairi herds,” to be “driven to their doom.” The video title, referencing the Quranic Surat Al-Anfal [verse 57], seeks religious justification for the systematic dehumanization of ‘Alawite captives made “livestock,” and “enemies of God.”

Roughly two hours later, as determined by measuring shadows cast by sunlight, captors herded prisoners into vehicles for transport about 93km east from the grain silos gathering point to killing grounds at Thoul Nayel, an inactive archaeological site approximately 5km east of A-Raqqa. Transport vehicles filled with prisoners arrived from the grain silos, and other unknown sites, until sundown.

At 6:30-7:00 pm, more than eight Islamic State fighters shot to death approximately 160 Syrian army prisoners of war. They were lined facing southwest, on their stomachs, at the base of a dirt embankment at Thoul Nayel. Afterwards, a solitary gunman walked alongside dying and dead men, firing into anyone who looked alive.

This two-part report maps the locations and chronology of the Tabqa airbase massacre. We reconstruct the events, as they are recorded, using open sources, including commercial satellite imagery and Arabic-language news and social media.

In summary, the mass execution was logistically intensive, sectarian, and terrorizing.

-As many as 20 Islamic State fighters in 10 vehicles stripped, marched, and drove roughly 160 Syrian army soldiers from settlements 20-30km southwest of Tabqa airbase, to killing fields approximately 5km east of A-Raqqa, over 100km away.
-The operation lasted at least seven hours, from about 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
-Islamic State fighters and media systematically insult the ‘Alawite faith to dehumanize captured Syrian army soldiers, called “Nusairi herds” and “livestock.”
-The Islamic State sought spectacle, terror, and anger by documenting the humiliation, torture, and execution of Syrian army prisoners of war.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I think quite a few of us saw those videos.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Saladin Rising posted:

Something to keep in mind: the regime may publicly not be happy with it, but behind closed doors I bet quite a few SAA generals are glad the base is out of ISIL's hands. Tabqa isn't just an airbase, it was the site of a horrific massacre about two and a half years ago:

Oh wow, I do remember that happening, but didn't really know enough about the geography of the conflict yet to put together that it was the same place in the news now. The livemaps have been a real game changer for understanding where these places are.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know RT is a Russian propaganda machine but I saw a recent video from them about the protests in Yemen and they made a claim that seems to be right. The protests were pretty much completely ignored by US news. I could only find something from the Boston Globe. BBC, Al-Jazeera and a bunch of other places covered it but not any American news sites.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

fishmech posted:

International war law is a fake concept used to provide retroactive cover to the victors in a conflict.

Well you don't have to like it, but it still, y'know, exists.

Also it's international humanitarian law that governs armed conflict. Armed conflict is the key here, not whatever nebulous definition of "war" people use.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Iron Rose posted:

Well you don't have to like it, but it still, y'know, exists.

Also it's international humanitarian law that governs armed conflict. Armed conflict is the key here, not whatever nebulous definition of "war" people use.

Nah.

Well no, pretty much nothing really governs armed conflict. Even in the wars you claim are "legal" only one side ever gets any sort of international OK for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

NikkolasKing posted:

I know RT is a Russian propaganda machine but I saw a recent video from them about the protests in Yemen and they made a claim that seems to be right. The protests were pretty much completely ignored by US news. I could only find something from the Boston Globe. BBC, Al-Jazeera and a bunch of other places covered it but not any American news sites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/newssearch/?datefilter=All%20Since%202005&query=yemen&sort=Relevance&utm_term=.92bc714d01a2

RT is a propaganda outlet. The goal is to get you to stop trusting other information sources.

• Locked thread