Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
I think Bahrain is getting ugly enough for the US to start pulling strings publicly with little or no blowback. I don't know what our ties to them are, and thus what we could/would do, but I hope the administration does something to stop this from turning into a total bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
I would really approve of my tax dollars being used to enforce a no fly zone over Libya right now. We could have it fully in place by this time tomorrow.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
I'm just ranting here, but we spend billions on the latest and greatest military toys, and now we have a veritable carte blanche of international opinion to use them to save lives, and our president is standing around holding his dick. We could have air superiority over Libya within hours, it may do fuckall for stuff that's happening on the ground, but they wouldn't be able to drop bombs on their own people anymore.

EDIT:

Darth123123 posted:

Really?! You think the world (including China, Russia, and other ME nations) would view our intervention positively? Irrespective of how quickly we left. Not a chance.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/thomas_barnett_draws_a_new_map_for_peace.html

The Orgasm Sanction fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 21, 2011

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Owlkill posted:

Too loving right Qatari prime minister. Bout time the EU and NATO (or the Arab League or anyone else for that matter) stepped up to the plate and actually intervened in a genocide for once rather than sitting back tutting and then saying 'never again' once it's all over. I'm not calling for boots on the ground or anything like that but gently caress, you've got Italy, France and Spain (off the top of my head) all within striking distance, all with modern air forces. Surely a no-fly zone wouldn't be too controversial an idea.

The United States 6th Fleet is based in Italy, there is at least one aircraft carrier within range to run air cover over Tripoli and Banghazi which are on the coast.

The Orgasm Sanction fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2011

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Slantedfloors posted:

Any foreign intervention is a bad idea, but American intervention would be the absolute worst thing ever by a large margin.

I don't think there would be much fallout from preventing Libyan military aircraft from taking off, since they are bombing their own people.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
No one is saying we should co-opt their revolution, and I don't see how stopping the Libyan air force from dropping bombs on civilians would do that.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Ace Oliveira posted:

Well, we don't need to pull a full all out war against the Libyan military to help the protesters. We could do it diplomatically, or economically. We could help them. We don't need to invade the country to do it.

You are right and wrong at the same time. We wouldn't have to have a full war/invasion to help them. But diplomacy, and economics are not options. Gaddafi knows that he is on the way out, and he is dead set on leaving a pile of bodies as revenge.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

roundmidnight posted:

stuff

So even just a no fly zone, no troops ever set foot in Libya, only stopping Gaddafi from using the air force against the protesters, will destroy the legitimacy of the revolution?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Man, this guy would have done well in the US senate, he'd be a champion at the filibuster.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

There seems to be a second translator in the background. What language is being spoken here?

The translator hears the audio a second before we see it so he can keep up.

Edit: gently caress me

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
'Nother crony making a lot of bad noise.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Their own base may well shoot them down.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Has there been any major group in the Arab world arguing against a no fly zone? I don't see why we need to wait for a UN mandate when everyone in the region is calling for someone to step up and stem the bloodshed.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Darth123123 posted:

He said AND AA batteries. Really why would you give AA to a rebel force that just accidently shot down one of their own, and then send in your countries planes to fly over the same territory.

Think energizer instead of bofors.

^^^^gahhh

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
The story on Al Jazeera says that the jets were downed by heavy machine gun fire, it makes me think that the pilots were being dumb for the rebels to manage two in a row like that. Any video of this up?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
I'm wondering if the powers that be are surprised that the shipments were noticed and sourced as quickly as they were. With previous conflicts it seems like something that would have gone relatively unpublicized save for a footnote in some history book.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
The symptoms in this video look closer to nerve agent exposure than the previous videos. So, at the very least, their acting is getting better!

The Orgasm Sanction fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 23, 2013

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
But what if the guy ACTUALLY bribed the poor into voting for him, as it seems to be the case here?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
In before we lose a B2 hilariously.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Syria is pretty much in an unrecoverable tailspin, and so the only thing strikes will serve to do is to punish the regime for using chemical weapons on a civilian population, but I'm still in favor of it because if there is anything that should get some scumfuck despot bombed by the rest of the world, it's gassing a bunch of innocent men, women, and children.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
With the type of assets we're probably going to target, there's really precious fuckall that Assad can do to save them from us.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Does anyone have a good article that goes over the attack itself? Things like, timing, combination of CW and conventional weapons, etc?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

The Entire Universe posted:

If your question is "does anyone have *" then the answer is probably Brown Moses.

I'm specifically looking for anything on the concurrent conventional attack, even BM is kinda lacking in that.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

The X-man cometh posted:

Any hope one of them will be Caro?

Nope.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Any chance of a direct translation?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Why aren't we bombing the gently caress out of these guys if they are advancing over open ground? These are easy pickings.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think we missed that chance now that they are in the city. I hear that they've called up the A10s - is there a chance that without helicopters and A10s there just aren't good options against individuals on the ground? Hopefully it is more that than something more sinister.

Then we had plenty of time beforehand and simply didn't?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Any news from Kobane?

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Video of a C-130 doing an airdrop for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqPBkrkwcA

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Torpor posted:

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=36.841026&lon=38.452320&z=13&m=b

Some reports are that the YPG snuck behind the lines and ambushed IS apparently about there on the map.

What reports by whom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
What... the... gently caress...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/germans-introduce-poison-gas

I don't even... Jesus...

• Locked thread