Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Apology posted:

Apparently things are pretty violent in Libya today as well:

Full article, and there's also a video here:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/02/201121716917273192.html

Seems like all these Middle East/Northern African dictators use the same playbook.

• Shoot as many peaceful protesters as possible
  • Release prisoners to run riot and rampage, then blame the crime spree on the protesters. Bonus points if the prisoners injure, rape, or kill some of the protesters
  • Organize pro-government counter protests, pay people if you have to
  • Try to blame it all on a small faction of loud malcontents
  • Grossly under-report the number of casualties, both injured and dead

Although I have to say, attacking medical personnel seems to be a new one. Bahrain is innovative. They're going to have to add a page to the playbook now I guess.

I can't help but wonder if Egypt might start actively formenting revolution in other nations once the country is back on its feet. If/when a new civilian reigime led by the opposition groups comes to power, it's going to be pretty unpopular amongst the kings and dictators of the rest of the Arab-Iranian world, especially if the unrest continues for a prolonged period. If that happens, active support for the protestors in other nations would be in Egypt's national interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

"Wait, Muslims? There aren't any Muslims in Egypt."
"No, there definitely are. It's a pretty Muslim country."
"But what about, y'know, Osiris and stuff?"

Is that better or worse than going on about the Muslim Brotherhood establishing a theocracy?

I'd say better. Unless the person who said it is actually a racist or something, the statement itself is genuine ignorance rather than what we usually mean when we say "ignorant" which is "dumb and racist".

I actually think someone honestly believing the Egyptian gods are still widely worshipped in Egypt today is so dumb it's sort of cute. :3:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GnatKingCoal posted:

Why do I get the feeling that Muamar and Sylvio would get along like franks & beans?

I'm not sure, didn't Gadaffi persecute the Italian Libyans and attempt to drive them out? Berlusconi's a dictator-loving scumbag, but if there's any dictator he might not like, it'd probably be Gadaffi.

Then again Berlusconi might not care about Italian Libyans.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cartouche posted:

Pharaoh strikes from the grave in Pittsburgh... With a hatchet...

I wonder if there is anything in his evidence that implicates any Scotts.

FLASHBACK!
Don't celebrate Lockerbie bomber's release, Libya urged

I doubt it, the only thing we had to do with the actual bombing was that it happened in our airspace, so I'd be surprised if it implicates anyone in Scotland over the bombing itself.

As to the release of the bomber, cables revealed that the British government and BP basically gave Libya a load of legal advice on how best to convince us to release him on compassionate grounds, apparently without our knowledge. It would be interesting, certainly, if it turned out the Justice Minister had been involved in some conspiracy to effect his release, but personally I'm not conviced the Scottish Government was in on any deception.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Whoa... Sisi is Isis backwards. :aaa:

isis is is is with no space between ises.

Makes you think :350:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Miltank posted:

Wahab and Saud formed an alliance under the understanding that Saud would be King and Wahab would run the Islam.

Are people calling Arabia "Saud" now?

People do call the 18th century Emirate of Diriyah the "First Saudi State" often enough for it to be a valid alternative name, and I could see someone shortening "First Saudi State" to Saud even though it's not technically right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zohar posted:

I love how over time every D&D thread seems to become a debate over the definition of fascism, it's like Godwin's law for pedants

(I know that includes me)

If there's one word I could quite happily go the rest of my life without ever seeing again, it is Ur-Fascism.

• Locked thread