Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

I`m sure that the FSA would try their hardest to get US planes to target regime forces. Very difficult to trust them when they want you to get entangled for their benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

What do these gains mean if Aleppo is encircled? How important is Aleppo to the rebels?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

They are the modern army of a Sunni state. They can easily revert to nonconventional resistance if another state moves in. Why aren't public overtures to moderates in that territory made? Is putting Humpty Dumpty back together again more important than regional stability?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

It should be noted that Iraqi nationalism is falling as the years go on according to polls. While the vast majority still identify as Iraqis before identifying down sectarian lines, that could change in the future, at which point, partition might be on the table.

Partition is on the table. The 3 main groups in Iraq control their own territory, for the most part. Kurds have for what...24 years(could be wrong on that). The problem is the group representing the Sunni's is unpalatable to the west in particular.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

The Iraqis don't want it. I've seen one Sunni tribal leader advocate partition and that's it. Would you really support the west going into a country drawing and redrawing borders that the majority of people living within that region don't support? That's a really stupid thing to do.

I don't support the west going in and redrawing borders. They, with foreign help on all sides, seem to be doing it themselves. You could argue its a proxy war and you wouldn't be wrong. However, clearly the idea of an Iraqi state with integrated Sunni's and without a defacto Kurdish state is off the table. How repressive would the Shia need to be to hold onto Sunni areas while KSA and other gulf state money pours into the hands of those who would fight?

Some form of Sunni Awakening part 2 is the goal I suppose. I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you see a way out other than partition?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

British night bombing was less accurate than barrel bombing, end stop. No need to resort to that level of foolish hyperbole. Something like half of the bombs missed by 2 miles from the aim point, and that is assuming the aim point was correct.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

This theoretical flood of Arabs into Syria would likely be the most radicalized people anyway, likely to join Al-Nusra and Daesh. The US obviously can't support either. That plays into the regimes strategy to an extent.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Is there a muted pro-Assad narrative being pushed by the west? With the UN meeting coming to those conclusions... The first pro Assad media in Canada I heard on the radio, and the frontline doc was in the same vein.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Coup over this would be stupid for the military to pull, for many reasons, counting the fact he defanged them and has had control of senior military leadership for so many years.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Less so, but a legitimate US sponsored coup, all the way to US media, happened in what 2003? Let alone the Iraq war which from known records and sources from the US and Britain is very ginned up and the song for war was sung on command.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Do Syria and Russia have a codified alliance?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

They've had a formal non-aggression pact since 1950. The USSR was an instigator of the coup that put Hafez Assad (Bashar's father) in 1970.

So yes, they have a very close relationship and have had one for a very long time.

Ok, so, no alliance. I was more wondering what international rules they might use to justify striking back at the Saudi's directly, if they moved in. Obviously the UNSC would be gridlocked and the US would use a veto(begrudgingly perhaps). I just don't see a viable way they can intervene more that won't drag Iran in more, and they can throw more men into the problem than the Saudi's. Would the Saudi's be able to form their own militias by recruiting from the Sunni world like Iran has from the Shia world?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm just making fun of some people here who arbitrarily decided one side is their perfect communist race people and slavishly praise their fighting prowess for no reason even when you point out their track record and political flaws and their part in this disaster.

YPG is not allied with Al-Qaeda, so they get US support. They have also been more than willing to integrate Arab forces under Arab commanders. They are helping in the immediate term US goal of dealing with IS. Their part in this disaster...don't blame them for Assad. They are simply the most palatable faction in Syria right now, by a large margin.

I don't fault the Rebels for being quite religious, the Assad's and those before them removed as much civil society as they could, but removing the mosque is impossible, so people gather and complain and commiserate in the only place they can.

Ideally the US shouldn't stick it's dick in the hornet's nest at all. At least it's just the IP.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Don't move the goalposts. You were asked why the US didn't establish a no fly zone, and you gave an extremely wrong answer.

A. It's absurd to act like Russia being upset about the US bombing Qaddafi is the reason there was no security council resolution instituting a no fly zone in Syria. Like had the US not bombed the insane dictator man, Russia would've totally been open to any resolution that put a military burden on the Assad regime to conduct war against the opposition. Russia has gotten more directly involved in Syria than any other nation in the world, minus perhaps Iran. If anyone on earth has an ulterior motive behind their actions in the country, it's Russia. They're not going to come right out and say "Assad is our boyfriend, and we'll defend him tooth and nail no matter how many innocent people he tortures to death." That statement should by Medvedev should be taken with a goddamn Mack truck full of salt. When it comes to reasons that Russia is propping up Assad, "angry that the US attacked Libya" doesn't even make the list. Nor is it defensible.

B. You don't need a UN resolution to intervene somewhere. When it comes to a heavily politicized issue like Syria, the UN is incapable of acting any more humanitarian than the worst actor on the security council. With half a million dead, and 60,000 tortured to death, I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. The UN can get hosed in that situation.

Remember when the victims of imperialist aggression in Libya voiced their anger at this horrific loss of life imposed on them by the West by increasing their favorability rating of the US to over 70%? It's almost like victims understand the distinction when it comes to the unfortunate deaths of 100 if it saves 10,000 lives when it's their lives at stake. I could see how that might be lost on a clueless liberal far removed from the conflict though.

Let's get some methodology on that polling, I've got a feeling it's pretty questionable and I'm surprised you bit your tongue and didn't say the US was more popular in Libya than Canada, as you are wont to do.

You don't need a UN resolution to intervene, correct. But if you have shown the Russians and the Chinese that no fly zones can easily turn into regime change, they won't support it. Russia may well have supported Syria to the extent it did, regardless of the UNSC resolution. It was definitely influenced by how things played out. They learned that it is a way to knock out states that weren't aligned with western interests.

You continue to blame liberals for the issues facing us today, but the actions of neo-cons have so poisoned the idea of radical intervention that it is unpalatable to the public. You have said before that the Iraq war soured the US on wars like this, which meant letting a bad war, with a clear bad guy, fester. That lays at the feet of the Bush administration.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Thank you Volkerball for the polling data, seems sound, if a snapshot, as a Canadian, if the US said the sky was blue, there would be enough people willing to call it red.

Don't you see yet that the US can't win these wars though? I have come to the conclusion that modern democracies can't beat insurgents on foreign soil. Point to the awakening, fine, but that was unsustainable. They know, like the Vietcong knew, that you can just wait. So say you get your warmonger for the next problem in the Middle East, how many years will you get? 12 at best. I guess I want to know if you disagree with current US strategy? Your opinions on what could have been are pretty valid, but can you point to a US intervention you didn't support?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Sorry, forgot to respond to this. I don't think the awakening was inherently unsustainable. ISIS wasn't lying in wait. They were losing all their fighters and resorting to speaking in hushed tones in back alleys. They were falling apart. Whether that collapse was sustainable or not was based on whether or not the Iraqi government could've maintained a sense of inclusion among Sunni's that encouraged people that the process was working, and inspired belief that this was the way forward. Instead, Maliki disbanded the Sahwat, purged Sunni politicians, and then came after Sunni protests about it. Had that not happened, I think the awakening would've been sustainable. I wasn't really big into politics at the time the Iraq War was kicking off, and I didn't know anything about the Middle East, but I can say with 100% certainty if it kicked off today I would have had some serious reservations about it to say the least.

Bernard Henri Levy is a really controversial figure, but I think he was right on the money when he described the criteria that had to be filled in order for an intervention to be justified. One of them is that you have to hit a point of "critical mass." Where the situation has progressed to the point that things can no longer just go back to the way they were. In Iraq, things weren't even close to that point. There wasn't ongoing fighting, we weren't in the midst of the Anfal campaign, nothing. The US just up and invaded over Saddams relationship to the US. His relationship to his people was no different than it ever was. The only thing that was different was that now there was US soldiers everywhere. Not only was there no political infrastructure in waiting that could inherit the country, at the time of the invasion, there wasn't even any in the process of being created. That whole process began way too late for the transition to be anything close to smooth. I wouldn't go so far as to say the concept in general was destined for failure, but it was certainly an extremely risky situation that required a very fine tuned strategy, that everyone at all levels was on board with. You would have had to have been near perfect, to the point that I don't think you could've reasonably expected a positive ending to that story. Of course, Bush handled that delicate situation like a bull in a china shop, so things got about the worst they could've possibly gotten, but still. Any sort of intervention along those lines, I'd be extremely skeptical of. Now intervening during the 1991 uprisings and attempting to oust Saddam at that point? That I would have been all ears about.

Bringing this back around to Syria, needless to say, it has long since passed the point of critical mass.

That critical mass theory makes tons of sense, I'll have to look into it.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Well gently caress, other than very informative posts by Brownmoses and fade5, what are we doing here?!

What are the chances of serious division within the SDF when Arab SDF forces end up in control of substantial territory? If it gets turned into a frozen conflict, which is looking ideal compared to the status quo, why wouldn't the Arab SDF, who are partially FSA anyway, defect to FSA at their convenience.

Is my assumption of a frozen conflict reasonable? Can any of these factions ever unite for a peace accord, I don't think so.

Basically in reference to the Manbij offensive and its conditions.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

How long will it take to capture Damascus? 2 days
Will Assad be killed? Yes
Total Syrian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Syria: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Syrian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Assad launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Assad launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Assad sacrifice Aleppo (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Russia do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Assad burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Syria? ~15 years
Will the Syrian war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There is also a thing called "tyranny of the majority", as much as I hate using the term but it makes some sort of sense in this context.

It's called democracy, the same reason MB should have had a real chance at governing.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Fighters tend to get the food in sieges. Yes, substantial enough captive population.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Warbadger posted:

There is also a small chance they want to halt Kurdish progress against ISIS. Losing ISIS while also not being able to claim responsibility for the victory would be detrimental to the regime on the propaganda side, allow the SDF/Kurds to consolidate prior to the inevitable SAA attempt to murder them back into line, and means a lot more rebels can focus on the SAA with secure territories behind them.

I think that's part of it. The other part I think is YPG moving resources around the airbase, tightening the noose, but not initiating hanging. At some point the local commander felt he was being threatened by their actions, and acted against the most egregious threats. Escalating against the YPG right now offers very little in the way of gains, but does come at a time where they are quite occupied, and are quite far away. I doubt they have the resources to fight ISIS across the Euphrates and take two urban centers from the regime. Good a time as any to do some preventative action.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Especially considering it seems like Russian focus is soon to be be focused more on Ukraine and Eastern Europe

Yeah Russian basing of strategic bombers in Iran really makes me think they are pivoting. They can't pivot effectively to EE any more than US can to China.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Well they are winning, slowly, I guess it's less interesting. Tons of reporting out of Erbil.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

It's about authoritarian regimes having similar problems due to focus on political reliability over competence. It doesn't need to be racist or orientalist. It is a trend, not a rule, and obviously there are exceptions. I think national/religious liberation movements tend to allow the best to rise to the top more effectively.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Unless he proposes enforcing this no fly zone, it's meaningless. I don't think he is willing to shoot down Russian planes in Syria, especially after rapprochement.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'm assuming he means a no-fly zone for US planes supporting Kurdish forces.

I didn't even mention the possibility of him shooting US planes down, because it's insane. However, you got me thinking that he can enforce it diplomatically, with shutting down Incirlik...again. unfortunately for him, that just makes the job for the US a little harder, what with their air refueling capability.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Wouldn't a standard AA gun with proximity fuses and a radar directed fire control solve the problem? These are all tested technologies that shouldn't be too hard to dust off. I guess some optical technology could be used to scan and detect better than a human eye.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

A White Guy posted:

It's a real shame Gore wasn't elected, a real testament to how not-democratic US politics are. Had he been, how much differently things would've gone. 9/11 probably still would've happened, but no silly invasion of Iraq to line the pockets of Dick Cheney's trust fund.

Then the GOP would have immediately blamed the Democrats, swept both houses in the midterms, and probably invade Iraq after their Hardline nominee won a sweeping victory against 12 years of American weakness. Then again, 4 extra years.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Kinda playing devils advocate here, but I think them having a monopoly of certain types of forces is the reason things are so disparate. Rebels have no compunctions against retaliating against civilians with mortars or rockets, they just don't have the supply. You can see them exercising that against the YPG in Sheik Maqsoud, showing that it isn't just them responding to regime atrocities.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've been ignoring world affairs for like five or six years now and only recently started trying to catch up with what the hell is going on in the world.

It's very bleak but the situation is Yemen is the first time I've been genuinely angry or irritated. I subscribe to a few news sources and hear tons and tons about Syria everyday. I then click on a random YouTube video and hear about the situation in Yemen where similarly depraved acts are happening all whilst the country suffers a man-made famine.

I know everyone makes fun of how useless the UN is but I hope their relief and food assistance stuff is dependable. I gave what I could. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I just feel angry with both my news sources and myself for being so ignorant about the massive suffering going on there.

They let in civilian aid to their enemies as much as Assads government does. Questions of scale are the issue. But as to who has airpower and who is killing civvies, SA and the Regime are on the same page.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The Turkish army is bigger than the rest of non-US NATO combined. Without Turkey NATO would have been outnumbered by the Warsaw Pact.

The Russians will be pouring through the Fulda Gap any day now. Its been 25 years. Warsaw Pact holy gently caress. Erdogan is only going to get worse, his slide to despotism has been consistent. His support for anti-US jihadist groups is undeniable. He is still strategically important, but the US would be wise to find another airbase to police the region when Erdogan has been willing to shut down Incirlik

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

loving sleepwalkers.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

What a surprise! Having the ISF try to handle things alone is a bad idea. The Peshmerga and PMUs should have a more prominent role rather than being sidelined. The article on the way both seiges are covered is very funny, hadn't realized it.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

So you are saying Aleppo won't fall, while they fight each other. You say never ever while using a map which shows the Syrian Kurds, who are now quite aligned with Assad, as fellow rebels. Trump is president, France will soon have a pro Assad leader. What makes you hold onto hope. The revolution is collapsing. The pockets in the south are being closed after dehousing and bombing of civilians, freeing up troops. It's like the past year hasn't happened in your mind. You are delusional.

Edit: sorry, you didn't say Aleppo wouldn't fall. Precisely what is going to reverse the regimes momentum? Turkey going to straight up war with the regime is the only thing enabling a reversal that I see unless Donald Trump is browbeaten by his Generals.

Coldwar timewarp fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 4, 2016

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

I agree with some of the criticism, but also the Gulf states could decide to turn it into even more of Afghanistan 1985.

I see that as a possibility as well, but I think it would effectively end the US-Gulf alliance. Supply of MANPADS to jihadists hasn't happened for a reason. Trump doesn't seem to want this conflict to drag on further, as predictable as he is. Washing his hands of Syria and leaving it to the Russians and Iranians is effectively a reversion to the pre-war status quo, not a bad option to a lot of people. Maybe he will let them off the leash, who knows.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

"ethnic militias"

How is the Sunni uprising any different? Are sectarian militias more pure? I think the duty of the oppressed is to resist, but it seems like they wanted to be the new boot on the Kurds necks, otherwise why not offer federalization or autonomy. Don't delude yourself into thinking your sympathies are anything but partisan. Wahhabism kept ethnic and religious minorities on the side of a despot, they yearn for freedom as much as any Sunni, but the alternative was deemed to be worse? Why would they side with the butcher unless they thought the replacement would be worse.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Why would refugees even want to go to either Russia or Iran? Especially considering their role in the conflict. Probably end up in a dungeon somewhere.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Intervention in Libya is roughly analogous to the west deciding to intervene against the Syria in the. Hama uprising. People die, there is repression, the state survives. The lives of Libyans are qualitatively worse. That is the result of western intervention.

If it was "done right" whatever the gently caress that means, an unravelling after the western forces inevitably withdraw would happen. The new state would be seen as collaborators and have little legitimacy, the civil war happens anyway. If there is to be a civil war when Ghadaffi dies, then there is one, but one left to an undetermined future is better than the mess we have currently.

It also poisoned Russia even considering playing ball in these humanitarian interventions ever again. We don't see you interventionists trying to stick your dick in the Congo, why try to in MENA over and over again? It's nakedly transparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Squalid posted:

He's well connected, opposes islamists and is a competent military commander, all more important to foreign powers than his aspirations to autocracy.

It's sorrowful seeing rebels in Daraa putting down arms, I suspect we'll see more similar events in the near future, especially in the quiet pockets. However it's hard to imagine a rebel moral collapse extending to the most radical salafist groups and ISIS

All it needs to do is free up manpower and reduce frontage. I'm sure the Assad regime is using the soft touch where it can. We have seen some reports corroborating that.

• Locked thread