Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Anyone else watch that interview with the UK advisor on Bahrain just now?

He was saying that the protesters are "malcontents" and a "vociferous minority" who want to change Bahrain away from being a tolerant nation and are basically ruining it for the rest of the Bahrainis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Apology posted:

This ought to shut his mouth, an Al Jazeera piece filmed at a local Bahraini hospital. The video is fairly disturbing and features dead bodies, but the worst of it is blurred out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6RCBOC-MAM

Yes, doctors and nurses are "malcontents" and part of the "vociferous minority". :rolleyes:

AJE was actually playing the hospital footage in the background while the guy talked about how there wouldn't be women and children at a protest in a less tolerant country. It was pretty well done.

Scorchy posted:

Was it Ian Henderson?

No, his name was Clanwilliam.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Brown Moses posted:

This press conference is bullshit, just some idiot talking about all the "reforms" they are going to make.

No, it's cool. Everything's already going back to normal, after all!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Xandu posted:

Their protests may not be a big as Libya's (yet?), but Yemen sure does have the best headgear.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Is it a completely stupid idea to email the April 6 movement directly and ask if there's a way people can donate or something to help out? I know there was some talk of donations for Egypt awhile back, but I think that was going to be through the military and I don't remember hearing about it since.

It'd be nice to be able to help out, even a little.

Note: there might be information about this on their Arabic website, but I can't read Arabic and their English site is awful.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

http://6april.org/

Here you go!

edit: seconding the thanks to Brown Moses. You are awesome.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

quadratic posted:

If you don't mind ending up on a government watchlist

This is the saddest. :(
Thanks for the info, though! I will definitely send some money their way and try to convince my friends to do the same.

Ramms+ein posted:

Ok, on the right-hand side of their page, a ways down, it says:

"To donate to the April 6 youth
We ask you to communicate through this email:
info@6april.org"

Thank you for looking this up. I probably won't end up donating to them at the moment since there seems to be a better option, but hopefully it will be useful for other people to know.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

UltraShame posted:

edit: backtracked and realised the original guy was talking about Egypt, not Libya, whoops. But still donate to MSF if you want to help in situations like these.

I was just looking for anything, really. I only thought of April 6 because AJE did another program on them earlier today and it made me curious. I did end up donating to MSF, though.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Al-Saqr posted:

SPECIAL SAUDI ARABIA REPORT BY Al-Saqr

Sivias already asked all the things I was curious about, so I'll just say good luck and I hope you stay safe.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Regarding all the Man of the Year discussion:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2058044_2061021_2061023,00.html

Topped by a pop star at the moment. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yeah, I don't actually know what effect, if any, the poll has on the final decision. Ayman Mohyeldin posted the AJ nomination on facebook, which is mostly why I thought it might be important.

I really hope it's not indicative of the actual results, but I guess we'll see.

• Locked thread