Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
"Wait, Muslims? There aren't any Muslims in Egypt."
"No, there definitely are. It's a pretty Muslim country."
"But what about, y'know, Osiris and stuff?"

Is that better or worse than going on about the Muslim Brotherhood establishing a theocracy?

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Most of my extended family seem a bit unwilling to talk about it - since it involves Muslims doing something they agree with (they're torn between your standard racism and the very extreme anti-authoritarian sentiment your average older Russian immigrant has in spades).

My brother-in-law was something of an exception.

Speaking of Russia, though, I really don't think the protests will spread that far north. There's a terrorist-scare happening there right now - and, poo poo, when it comes to the middle-east, Muslims, or brown people in general, your average Russian doesn't sound very different from your average Fox viewer.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

The thing that gets me is how similarly all these revolution stories are playing out. It's like the various dictators never spent their period in power figuring out a less stupid way of attempting to retain control in the face of a discontented populace.

I don't want to sound like one of those technophile assholes - but it really is because of the spread of technology. The dictators are using old methods that just don't work with all these new forms communication around. All of a sudden, people are talking to each-other. They find out that a lot of people feel the same way they do. They find out about other places where people in a similar situation did something about it. They can plan a protest - and be pretty drat sure that, when they show up, there will be far too many people there to simply arrest.

A dictator counts on ignorance. People let themselves be oppressed only when they think there's nothing they can do about it.

• Locked thread