Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was kinda under the impression that the Iraq army is really just there to hang out and collect paychecks until someone more well-organized or interested in taking their poo poo came in and they'd all just run away and let them do their thing. I also kinda think that's what's gonna happen with Afghanistan, if they even last a year after the US troops finish withdrawing. I'm no expert though.

What I'm wondering now is what exactly is gonna happen in the worst case scenario here? Like if the Iraqi army just dissolves entirely and ISIS rolls in in like a couple weeks. What's their endgame? Are they gonna try to run these countries themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Renzian posted:

Something about this raises a question to me - namely (just out of curiosity), what's ISIS's manner of crucifixion? It doesn't look like they're nailing people to crosses, just tying and hanging them on them (which I'd presume would still be harmful, based on what I've read of crucifixion). So, do they nail people to crosses, or just tie them up there? I mean, I'm not trying to slyly imply that it's not barbaric and monstrous if it's the latter - it absolutely is. I'm just mildly curious.

If I had to guess I'd say it's a lot easier and more practical to tie someone to a cross than to try to figure out the right way to nail someone up there. You'd probably need pretty big crucifixion-style nails for it to work properly. I dunno how easy those are to find, even in the middle east.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea, as far as I'm aware ISIS has literally been executing like thousands of surrendered enemy soldiers and anyone who disagrees with them or is suspected of disagreeing with them in general, right? Kinda the only way to be more violent than them would be to just execute everyone everywhere, and that probably wouldn't last all that long.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I always thought the whole "one American life counts for a billion people from other countries" thing was like a joke people made about lunatic conservative talk show hosts or something, but I guess this is a more common thing than I thought?

Anyways, what is it that people are so mad at ISIS about specifically right now? These executions and massacres are pretty standard for the region, right? This poo poo's been going on for a long rear end time now, they're doing what people do when they wanna gently caress poo poo up and take over a country in the Middle East. Is it just because they're filming it in HD so a bunch of naive people can actually see what this kind of thing looks like?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sergg posted:

One thing that often boggles me is that the Taliban is almost identical to ISIS in every way except for speaking Pashto, yet there is far less international outrage about them.

Actually wait, does ISIS allow girls to be educated?

It's literally only the videos they release. I've been consistently surprised that people everywhere, even on the internet where you'd expect people to be a bit less naive than that, still managed to be shocked and angry at these things that have been happening constantly in the Middle East for years just because it's shot in HD this time.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey all that stuff happened but at least we never had to see any of it shot in HD and posted on the internet! When you get right down to it that's all that really matters.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still really feel like ISIS is the best name for it, just cause it reads easy and has two distinct syllables. There's a reason the best acronyms are things like LASER and SCUBA and NATO and OK and so on. IS is two vowels and it sounds dumb if you try to read it like IS but nobody wants to read or type the whole four syllables in "Islamic State" or "The Islamic state". And worse yet IS is just the same spelling another friggin two letter word, whereas ISIS is not nearly as commonly encountered as the word "is". And Daesh doesn't fit grammatically very easily and you have to add "the" for it to sound right and it's a weird word so gently caress that one too.

I don't care what they call themselves or what they don't like being called, ISIS is the way to go.

I feel very strongly about this but haven been holding it back for a while now but I guess now's as good a time as any.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you guys are so mad about some guy funding instability in the middle east I hope you're not paying taxes to the American government.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm real mad about coffee mugs

Hey man all I'm saying is that the US government has hosed over the middle east a lot harder than Hezbollah could ever even dream of doing. You're right about me not really giving that much of a poo poo though, I just thought it was kind of a funny sentiment coming from Americans who pay taxes. And it's not like most of you get anything for what you pay, that all just goes into the pockets of Lockheed Martin. At least he got a pretty cool coffee mug.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 29, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cippalippus posted:

It's a matter of morality: how can the state, which forbids the homicide, commit a public homicide itself?

The same way the state can lock people up for the rest of their life if it wants but forbids me from doing so. It's called the state monopoly on violence maybe look it up some time.

I mean I'm against the death penalty too, but getting all mad about Jordan executing a few idiot ISIS members is pretty fuckin dumb either way.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How do these various groups of ethnic cleansers know who's sunni or shia when they're rolling through a village full of people they don't personally know? Do they have like a quiz or do they just assume that all the people living in that one area were probably either all sunni or all shia?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

Is there a source for him being dead though?

There's no source for him being dead, but he was starving in a torture dungeon begging passers by to kill him. And the people being killed in those places don't exactly get their names published in the news, so that's pretty likely the end of the great Caro saga.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not much, really. Which part do you take umbrage with? A lot of the conspiracy stuff is pretty unfounded, but for the most part ISIS wouldn't be much of anything without the US intervention in the middle east.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just skimmed over most of the middle part and read the beginning and end to be honest, upon further inspection it's pretty ridiculous, yea.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Is there some point at which Americans will understand that justifying military intervention on the other side of the world by pointing to whatever the "worst" bad guy they can find is just going to play into the hands of the people that profit from war/ have no real effect on making peoples lives better?

Hahahaha nope

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Haha yea just keep dropping those bombs guys, I'm sure it'll help someone eventually. Is it like an infinite monkeys on typewriters kinda thing where if you drop enough bombs eventually the force of one of them will cause the rubble to fall into place to form a whole complete infrastructure and government that will help the country function properly again?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So like you really think this half assed bomb people but don't help them clean up afterwards thing you've got going is helping, then. Interesting.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

goose fleet posted:

Who is the source for the sighting of Caro in prison?

I can't find the specific person but it was a journalist in Syria who spotted him last.

I know it hits closer to home cause he posted on the same site as you, but Caro's story isn't really all that special. Crazy guy who likes guns and thinks the government wants him dead decides he's gonna go fight people in a war that doesn't concern him on the other side of the ocean. He lives for a while but eventually meets the same fate that most people involved in that war meet (in this case, it's starvation, torture, and death). It's a story hundreds of years old, the only difference is that he had a youtube channel that he posted videos of himself shooting at people on.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 16, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's really not that hard to believe, this kind of thing has happens pretty much all the time in ethnic conflicts and the like. The first thing you need to keep in mind about ISIS is that they're nothing special or new, they've just got the HD video to shove it in the faces of people like you guys who I guess thought everything was fine in the world.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cippalippus posted:

Funnily enough, it's easier to found a party and have representation in the parliament in Russia than in the United States.

Is that not true of every democratic country in the whole world?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Isn't it kinda expensive to kill someone with acid if you're not gonna film it? Seems like a waste if nothing else.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you're not willing to ever accept that every group in the conflict does bad things to other groups they don't like then what exactly is your end game here? Kill everybody? That seems like the only other option if you're not willing to pick a least bad group.

I mean I'd be fine with disengaging entirely and letting them sort it out themselves but that'll never happen.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SA_Avenger posted:

This, esp in current times when people deny anything which they can't see with their own eyes, every destruction of former civilizations is making ours worse. Worst part is that only 20% of Palmyra had been seriously searched so all the looting and destruction there is lost for good. Even the big stuffs in fact as even if it some is rebuilt it'll be ridiculous (not only would it have tremendous cost but it'd also be meaningless and just a mock up as the stones themselves will be dust).

Of all the things ISIS do this is undoubtly the most horrible and damaging in the long term.

Yea I'm sure all the people getting executed for being the wrong religion or all the women and young children being made into sex slaves would agree that blowing up some old buildings is truly the worst thing ISIS could ever do.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Somehow I don't think he'd have a similar view if a bunch of Americans were abducted by ISIS on their vacation.

Are you telling me you wouldn't think it was funny if Chelsea Clinton or Eric Trump or that guy who got away with vehicular manslaughter by claiming "affluenza" got kidnapped in the middle east?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

viral spiral posted:

I called out the Saudi National for calling women cunts, and this is what you respond with. :lol:

Racism is much better than sexism, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what happend in KSA now? i mean its already a internal coup run by overly brash rear end in a top hat who has made it worse.

He means the thread, it's busted as poo poo. The bookmark for it permanently says there's a new post and it'll say there's a new page when there's not.

• Locked thread