Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tourgon
Jan 21, 2010

by Ralp
Ignoring the guy who is obviously wrong, what seems really amazing to me is how straightforward and...not derailed or spoiled or corrupted these revolutions and protests have been. This has been particularly true for Egypt but it was true in Tunisia too and it seems to be so for now in Bahrain and Libya as well. I mean, there are definitely many conflicting interests but the fight for civil rights is a pretty straightforward fight and people seem to be focusing on that above all else. I think there is a difference from previous revolutions where a group or individuals could take advantage of situations when things went out of control, now people seem a lot more coordinated and in sync and I think the internet is a pretty big factor in that connectivity thing. Even when they shut down their internet, these people already know that there are people everywhere with the same beliefs so there is less uncertainty when they take to the streets, more of a sense of companionship because they were chatting, tweeting blogging or whatever before. Okay actually it's not much of a point I'm making, it just amazes me.
Also, about killing innocent civilians, if these videos get out to the general population, the regime could potentially losing support from very conservative sections of the population who would never ever want any riots or trouble so I really hope that people in Bahrain and Libya can spread the information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tourgon
Jan 21, 2010

by Ralp

Brown Moses posted:

I hope the EU likes having their own North Korea on the other side of the Med, because that's the way it's going.

I think that's a very apt comparison.

I'm seriously angry at our European leaders, they're such loving cowards. The benefits of toppling the Qaddafi regime suddenly and leaving just as suddenly with no complications are so many. Friendship with a democratic Libya, if you present it correctly also friendship with Egypt, Tunisia probably and there you have a possible resolution to an immigration problem that is ravaging France/Italy/Greece/Spain and consequently everyone else. Also local ties (seriously north africa is so close) that can easily extend to economic development, work in rebuilding Libya for people, work in oil for people, oil for Europe, democracy leading to a more free economy bringing growth in North Africa that will trigger much needed growth to weak European economies that will be able to get into the game since they helped. gently caress, it's not that hard, and so many countries have invested so much money in weapons that they NEVER use, well poo poo here's an opportunity to use their toys for once for a good reason and the cowards are afraid of intervening like this is Iraq or something. They don't have to stay there or make sure that anything happens, just take out the regime and I'm absolutely certain that Libyans will be grateful and will become allies of Europe instead of a North Korea-like crazy bloodthirsty state threatening EU stability all the time.

tourgon
Jan 21, 2010

by Ralp
It seems that France is ready. From AlJazeera,

quote:

Meanwhile, Alain Juppe, the French foreign minister, says preparations to launch military strikes in Libya are complete. He also says that a ceasefire in Libya would have to cover the whole country, not just Benghazi.

Regarding the military strikes, he said:

"We are ready, but I cannot give you more details."

To me it seems that things are moving kind of slowly, but then again I attribute that to drunken parties in the UN after the first time in my memory where they were able to actually make a decision.

tourgon
Jan 21, 2010

by Ralp
At least two protesters have been shot dead in the clashes in Cairo. Protesters say that a third person has been killed as well. More than 100 people injured.
Guardian has a live blog on Middle East unrest - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2011/dec/16/syria-bahrain-middle-east-unrest-live-updates

Supposedly this guy and his severely beaten up friend(?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MChw2kqlRG8&feature=youtu.be&a explain what happened. I don't understand what they're saying though, could someone translate the main points if they can?

tourgon
Jan 21, 2010

by Ralp
I don't think it's a photoshop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QkOpo89NLcg

But anyway, it's just people asking for help in a way that they think will be effective, and I'm sure they're not exactly experts in American politics.

• Locked thread