Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Apology posted:

Here's a link to a Twitter portfolio of photos documenting the violence in Bahrain:

:nms: http://twitpic.com/photos/halmustafa :nms:

None of them are as bad as the one of the guy with his head destroyed, but still, there are dead bodies and a lot of blood in some of them.

I don't know exactly how to say this, but seeing that guy's injured foot gave me this sick sense of happiness after seeing that entire row of images.
"Oh look, awesome! He didn't lose his brain, I love this picture at the bottom. I had that happen to me once in a bowling accident, I feel for him."
All of this is so intense. So much good can come of this and yet so bad. We need more good.
I want the world in revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

Hey, did you hear about the protests in the capital of Bahrain?

"Manama? Nah."

Please tell me someone else got this?
Do doooo do-doo-do.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Thank you (I assume it's you) for making this..., peeking at the EXIF data it says it's 1024x768, ?!? If only I had a tablet I'd be able to contribute in so many amazing threads.
If I were given the details on the pre-requisites of an image in order to be an acceptable emoticon, I would (try to) do this.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 18, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Whoa, do the top two posters on this page have the same subject of avatar?
That's neat, if so.

I'm angry about French Chad mercenaries being brought in to Bahrain. So Bahrain can't end so well, but I desperately hope the revolution keeps going. I hope it never stops. Revolving revolutions!

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Ogive posted:

gently caress ME GENTLY WITH A CROWBAR.

I'll wait until youtube gets this, I don't have a facebook account.
Or is it on liveleak yet? Had to be the first site to get it, right?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Dustin1986 posted:

I just hope God doesn't win in the end.

What's winning and losing, for you, in this situation? And for God? (Who is your God?)
All honest questions..

V Isn't that what McCain usually does, regardless of subject matter?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 19, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

China is extremely filtered as far as the internet and so on, but it really comes down to will the people there band together? Who knows. The courage is spreading, but it takes that commitment of the first people getting out on the streets and some dying. Maybe the Chinese are actually satiated enough by their booming economy to not want to do that. It's pretty hard to understand from our Western vantage point which other countries will change exactly.

I would love to know how this first spread in China, and what started the physical reaction on the ground.
So happy!

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Also, a new relevant article:
http://www.allfacebook.com/egyptian-baby-girl-named-facebook-after-revolution-2011-02

As the url indicates, a man from Egypt (Jamal Ibrahim) named his daughter Facebook Jamal Ibrahim.

quote:

“Facebook” received many gifts from the youth who were overjoyed by her arrival and the new name.

What are good analogies for events in the past about people being named after revolutionary stuff? Heh.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

#tahrir on irc.synirc.net
Thanks for this channel by the way, wish I'd have known about it earlier.

http://www.synirc.net/servers/ are the servers that are up at this time.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Who here is dana?

quote:

<&dana> on AJA; israel f-16s bombing libayns

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Al Jazeera announces it is allowing any networks to broadcast its material due to the deliberate scrambling of its signals by Libya. During jamming, Al Jazeera English can be watched on Hotbird 13E Frequency: 11034 Vertical FEC: 3/4 Symbol rate: 27500; on Badr4/Eurobird 2 (26East) Frequency : 11680.8 Horizontal; SR: 27.5: FEC: 3/4; and on Nilesat/ Atlantic Bird4A (7West) Frequency: 11393 Vertical; SR:27.5; FEC :3/4

Al Jazeera Arabic can be watched on Nilesat 7W Frequency: 11555 Vertical FEC: 3/4 Symbol rate: 27500

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/17/live-blog-libya

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Anyoe have the text of the speech Gadhaffi just gave?

I tried to El Goog for a transcript in any language but I'm just not getting anything.

Also, in case no one knows, this is the current updated Live Blog for today, new link:
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/africa/2011/02/22/live-blog-libya-feb-22

Only mentioned once on the old page.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Gravitom posted:

Not that this is incredibly newsworthy but I live near the UN and there are a couple hundred Libyans protesting that the UN and US should provide assistance. I'm heading back out to take some photos now.

Please take a large amount of video, I'll upload it at the big media hubs (LL et al) if you wish.
I hope that was sarcasm, yes it is newsworthy!

Belgurdo posted:

All of this is so sudden...why all of these protests and uprisings now and not 10, 20, 50 years ago? What has changed over there?

I want to guess, a combination of: youths and changing minds, at a tipping point of wages and oppression, all while technology easing the actions of anti-government rallies and protesters? Large amounts of populaces feel this way and also mostly agree with each other that it is secular in movement- they want progress, not to trade one oppressor for another (extremist religion of the area)...And so much more, of course... Am I close? I miss cultural anthropology, drat.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 24, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Ham is back in the IRC channel, so I'm sure if anything happens he or one of the other major updaters will release information into the channel.
http://www.synirc.net/servers/ are the servers that are up at this time.
#tahrir on irc.synirc.net

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Nenonen posted:

If the anti-Gaddafi folks haven't had time to organize themselves into a mass movement in Tripoli, then it's too late for it now,

May I ask why?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

What do Yemen and Syria have against Libya that they would either truly vote against or be rumored to have voted against a no-fly zone?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

I tried to get into the old #tahrir room to see what was going on, but I can't get in.
Is there a current central IRC chat still going for this?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

CJSwiss posted:

According to MSNBC, the Pentagon's labeling this "Operation Odyssey Dawn".

The best thing I've heard is in the #dai-ichi chat where someone said it sounded like a Greek stripper name.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Jiminy Cricket posted:

I can't give you specifics,

That's a shame.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Contraction mapping posted:

As others have posted, this is highly doubtful. The rebels were doing quite well and even their very improvised, rag-tag advance on Tripoli was making impressive progress

Where exactly do we know military defectors haven't (or have) assisted the rebels, what their fighting formations are and the equipment they have... How do you know for sure it's all very improvised and rag-tag?
Not a snipe, it's just I've been looking for this info and I can't find it.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

I asked right before Operation Greek Strippername started, so it got lost- I'm seeing no-one in the #tahrir chatroom at SynIrc, did it get moved to a more general MidEast chat?

Local Lib time, GMT +2, around 1900 or so, from Almanara Media.

quote:

the youth of the 17th February in Benghazi are detaining the remaining members of Gaddafi’s Revolutionary Committees in the city. This is due to the hostile activities that are being organised by Gaddafi’s committee members in the city.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Ham posted:

Parliament still retains the horrible system where 25% must be workers and 25% must be farmers, regardless of their education.

Why's that horrible, if I may ask?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Xandu posted:

Revolution music, subtitles on the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohc3qyhcQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgw_zfLLvh8

Thank you! It's quite difficult for me to find specific examples of liberation/protest/revolution music, especially from the current affected countries (oh no it has something other than a duff in the song burn it burn it.)
You've made me very happy. :)

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Democrazy posted:

Actually, funny you mention that. The first constitutional referendum was just held today in Egypt, and new elections will be held soon. 77.2% eligible voter turnout!

Because the MB frightened 30 more percent into voting right before the turnout. That is what pissed me off. :(

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Read a few posts upward. Tornado attack on Ghaddafi compound called off due to civilans and CNN reporter.

Glad it wasn't a Reuters reporter with a telephoto lens, the strike would have been carried out due to Ghaddaffi being sighted with an RPG.

IRQ posted:

The rebels asked for help and we have the means to provide it, so why shouldn't we?

It's really hard to compare this to other UN actions.

But don't you see, if America helps, bad things will happen! (as they weren't happening before we started helping) The French and the rest have the magic ammunition that doesn't hurt civilians.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

The Reaganomicon posted:

Whoa, at there I was thinking that you now have a black man for president? Did I dream that?

In the spirit of accuracy, what denominations/ethnicities did you dream of his parents having? Black is such an overgeneralization.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Mozi posted:

At least there were no casualties.

You don't hear about the good news. :smith:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Competition posted:

He is a neo-con

What is this poo poo.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Competition posted:

A statement without refute due to a two year period where one single progressive policy can't be found yet dozens of continued neo-con policies can be cited in half a minute.

I would love to be proved wrong, come on, someone make my day.

I was asking about your usage of the word, 'neo-con.' It's a wierd one and I see it in the oddest of places. What's your experience with it, or am I not being specific enough this time?

Ahh, see, this page: this is what I was thinking of- Everyone has a different definition of it, and I know I'm giving myself away but I had no clue it stood for 'conservative' since I usually hear it spewed by angry Republicans. This confused me to no end.
It's so loving hard to disambiguate, I hate politics.

Did anyone get an update on that supposed event in Zawiyah, or was every male above sixteen years of age not dragged out of his house and slaughtered? I'm pretty sure it's failed the test of time, yes?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 24, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

quote:

they killed 30 government snipers in Misrata and managed to reach the center of the town
Is this something specific to the locals of Al Arabiya, or did our rebels all of a sudden get much more skilled and tactical? More defectors maybe, assisting in the push efforts?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

evilweasel posted:

But, in one of those hilarious politicalspeak things, we are not after "regime change", it's just something that's going to happen because we keep bombing his poo poo and then the rebels overthrow him. But we are not after regime change.

Gaddaffi could always change his mind and do what the people ask of him! :haw:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

To clarify, this is the guy that tweet could have been referring to, yes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Fatah_Younis

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

[quote="CartoucheObama is more like Dr Evil
[/quote]

Of all the things in the world, I just know there has to be a comic book superhero that's just the biggest limp dick in the world.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

DevNull posted:

I saw a few reports on twitter that it was not actually NATO that bombed the rebels. They were actually bombed by Qaddafi's forces.

The link in Jut's post states just that, so it's not only on twitter anymore.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

CerebralAssassin posted:

Oh god, this made me so loving happy to see this. Perfect, perfect image.
Now if only our Chase-analog doesn't gently caress it up by telling his wife anything..

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

That's a great article, it's amazing the rebels have held onto Misarata for as long as they have.

The part about harnessing sand, "dirt is their friend," and the guy playing Good Riddance... Wow. Good article.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

It seems like after (almost) every shot the same phrase is being yelled out (a lot of times by the same person). I thought it might be Allāhu Akbar, but the more I try to pick it, the less like that it sounds. Could someone give me a translation.

I'm kinda hoping its something like "YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON"

I'm pretty sure it's a long, drawn-out Allahu Akbar. (allaaaaaa huakbar with no trill is what it ends up sounding like in that video.)
I love your alternative though. Yooooou aaannd the horseyourodeinon!!

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

ZetaReticuli49er posted:

In 2007, I use to frequent the website Liveleak.com. The site is run mostly by US and coalition military personnel and many of the commentators of the videos are also members of the US military.

During 2007, all kinds of videos were posted on that website of US military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Before I started frequenting Liveleak and being largely ignorant of US foreign policy, I assumed the Iraq/Afghanistan war was a "nice war" where the US was the good guys.

On Liveleak, I saw many, many morally reprehensible videos of US soldiers and US mercenaries murdering people for sport and generally acting like depraved lunatics. The comments, which were and are probably still made mostly by US military personnel, were equally depraved. If Liveleak is a representation of how the US conducts a war, then that means the US military, at least in Iraq and Afghanistan, largely consists of a bunch of scumbags.

So I felt enraged by seeing such things and I made some comments on Liveleak about how I felt George Bush should be assassinated for the whole Iraq debacle. I was also, unfortunately, stupidly ignorant of the fact that making such statements, even on an online forum, is very illegal.

A few months later, the US Secret Service arrived at my house, and interviewed me for hours. I was forced to tell them and had to write down why I made such statements online, which I gave them my honest answer. And they then proceeded to confiscated my PC for a hard drives forensic test (I got it back around 3 months later).

I was, fortunately, never arrested or prosecuted for anything, and I think that may be because my father, who has worked for the government his whole life in various agencies such as the IRS and is a Vietnam veteran as well, persuaded them to have some sympathy and not prosecute me. I think they largely avoided prosecuting me mainly to pay respects to him. I also used the excuse that I was on SSRI anti-depressants and the medication side-effects caused me mental issues to help get out of being prosecuted.

I barely remember all this stuff (more Liveleak drama than one would imagine out there.) I was a member of ogrish, then registered on Liveleak when they switched over, in 2005 was it? or so?

You say it's now run mostly by military personnel, when did that start?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

JammyLammy posted:

I'm pretty sure that isn't true. If I remember correctly, Liveleak was just a spinoff from Orgish when Orgish want to be more "legit" and report current event, war, etc.

I remember it not being their full decision (as the old forums and old logins still work, and it is very much active.) But I agree with your sentiment, I've never seen a hint of what he's getting at...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy poo poo. Where's this from?

I googled that exact post, the first page results were promising, BBC and whatnot among them.

• Locked thread