Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nonsense posted:

The real PR story isn't the F-15, it's the loving piece of poo poo Osprey that actually worked.

So one thing I'm taking away from this thread is that no country actually has properly functioning military equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Logistically, how difficult would it be to get food/water/blankets/misc. supplies to places like Misrata? I would have assumed the UN and NATO would have to have made some provisions for humanitarian aid as part of the NFZ.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nenonen posted:

In other developments, Obama has recognized Alassane Ouattara as the legal leader of Ivory Coast. Now what, Laurent Gbagbo? :dance:

We're talking about the same guy who simply refused to acknowledge it when he was voted out of power, aren't we?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If it was about securing oil/money and nothing else, then the most expedient course of action would have been to pat Gaddafi on the back and tell him to hurry up and finish with those rebels.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Thomase posted:

So without support it looks like the rebels will be crushed shortly. When/If that happens it's going to be interesting to see what happens with Ghaddafi still in power.

Actually in the current situation, neither side can advance. Gaddafi's armies will be reduced to scrap in the open terrain of Libya by the UN Coalition, and the rebels apparently lack the training, discipline, knowledge, equipment, etc needed to root Gaddafi out in turn.

Given my read of the situation, time is in fact in the rebel's favour, not Gaddafi's. But I might be wrong on that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I was under the impression that the Yemen govt. had more or less given up the ghost. Is there anything left other than a guy sticking his fingers in his ears and going 'lalala can't heeeeeeeeear you'?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

This whole thing is deep into the far end of some horrendous black comedy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That is both hilarious and sad for so many reasons.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think being paid in gold is particularly implausible.

Gold bars, though? Yeah, that's a bit much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Meet the new boss, same as old boss.

'All right guys, let's try it again. We'll get it right this time!'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I really don't get the 'firing guns as a method of celebration' thing.

From all the reports I guess the tide is turning? I hope it stays that way. :ohdear:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I have to wonder why he keeps calling ceasefires since he has to know that everyone knows it's bullshit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Unknowing posted:

Oh yes, we can certainly rely on those US/EU/Arab League associated journalists to get to the bottom of this. Maybe 6-12 months after Gaddafi is dead and buried, we'll get an accurate review (if someone calls them on their poo poo).

By that metric there's no such thing as an accurate source anyway, so might as well take what we have.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I thought one of the things that has been established is that Gaddafi forces have no effective ground-to-air capabilities?

(Neither do the rebels, but recently they're not the ones needing it.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"Are you gonna aim those guns at civilians?"

"No."

"Sounds good to me."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What, exactly, is surrounding the embassy supposed to accomplish?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ah, at this point I'm pretty sure poo poo is, in fact, real in Yemen.

Syria... I dunno, it's like in a perpetual stage of tipping over the edge.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Do you guys think it would be better if Gaddafi was taken alive or if he ended up being killed during the attacks?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The big question is if we can do anything at all to get that guy the hell out of there before someone gets hurt (worse?) because of him.

Edit: Huh. Discussion closed, then.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well... at least he's out of the country.

That's good, right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Going into surgery NOW would likely mean that Saleh would be out of the picture for weeks - his government would have a zero chance of staying in power during that time. At a critical moment like this, when he's struggling for his own position, he'd rather just take antibiotics and go to surgery later, if at all possible. That's my take, anyway.

You'd think that the foremost concern would be ensuring he lives to see tomorrow, not trying his best to hold on to power that's rapidly slipping from his grasp.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I was under the impression that authoritarian regimes were supposed to be good at this whole propaganda thing. Why is everything they do so... clumsy?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Or we could argue that getting a madman out of power is in and of itself a humanitarian act.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Man, things in Syria are really going downhill right now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If what he says is true (I have no reason to believe it isn't), this doesn't really count as 'the mightiest military alliance in history', does it?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

At this point that C.S. Lewis quote about how monotonously alike all the tyrants and conquerors have been never seemed more apt.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Why would he think this is even a remotely good idea

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe it's just me being politically ignorant, but why would this hypothetical bunch being Colombian mercenaries be significant in any way?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm actually a little glad Tunisia is quiet. That means things are most likely going along smoothly.

As opposed to, say, Egypt.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

Each took a turn to celebrate what their uprising meant.

“There’s no fear,” said Mustafa, 27.

“You can walk in the streets with security,” added his friend, Mahmoud.

“We’ve come closer together,” volunteered Fadi, typing on his computer.

Another friend, Bassem, shook his head.

“We’re not free yet,” he said.

Well, somebody's being a negative Nancy.

On a more serious note, what are the realistic chances of the situation in Syria going out of control in the 'bloodbath' direction?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Even if you're new to how a civil war usually operates I'd think that by this point people should have accepted that victory is going to come about via a gradual grind and not sudden, sweeping successes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

One lawyer claimed it was not Mubarak in the dock, but a clone, the real president having died in 2004. He asked for a DNA test to be carried out. Mubarak's lawyer, Ferid el-Deeb, has asked for 1,631 witnesses to be called. Another lawyer requested compensation from Mubarak for damage to Egypt's security because "God said in the Qur'an that Egypt is a safe place". A lawyer from the Egyptian treasury asked for 1bn Egyptian pounds (£102,427,578) in compensation from Mubarak.

I... just...

:psyduck:

Yeesh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Today's NATO report is interesting:

That's the lowest amount of strikes sorties I can remember seeing in a very long time, and it doesn't seem like the Nafusa rebels are getting much help from NATO.

Is there a possibility that there isn't a whole lot left to attack in the first place?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

KashiMane posted:

Western involvement is pretty much the reason. We said no more after Iraq and yet, not only are we in Libya, but they fooled you into thinking that it's some humanitarian mission. Rebels picked the other side and are out to get paid. I don't care for either side, I care about the people of Libya. They are in the middle of a struggle for power and resources, and all we can do for them is call them "collateral damage" when they are murdered.

The people of Libya were the ones who initiated the revolt, you know.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The shredder I had in the office basically reduced the forms to a pile of paper dust. Don't think a computer could work with that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think the idea of a Libyan Civil War game to be inherently a bad/disrespectful thing, but likewise I'd trust the companies known for making the current crop of war games to make it tasteful and/or respectful about as much as I'd believe myself capable of becoming CEO of said companies.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yemen seems to be getting a lot less coverage than Libya's uprising did, although from what I can tell they're both very violent and bloody.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I guess they can just drive over to the polling stations to vote now... oh wait.
Saudi Arabia is still a regressive shithole.

Baby steps? As long as progress of some sort is being made.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I can only hope someone stops him before he does too much to damage to himself/others around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That is fantastic.

• Locked thread