Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is the best thing ever. I read this thread with "America, gently caress Yeah" blaring in the background.

I am very proud of the modernised world right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Middle East in Revolt: Sometimes Pussies gently caress Assholes

I believe you mean 'Dicks also gently caress assholes'

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, when does poo poo start going down? Apparently some of the assets started moving out over an hour ago.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

There will be no sustained air-to-air campaign. We're talking about Eurofighters and Rafales against poorly maintained and crewed MiG-23s, MiG-21s and Mirage F-1s.

This will probably be the most one-sided aerial warfare campaign to ever occur in history (unless someone else has an example like F-22s attacking biplanes in some country).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

The beautiful artificial reefs they create when they fall apart over the ocean will be Free Libya's foremost tourist attraction. :canada:

Man, do we have a single military aircraft that doesn't have that problem? (I hear out former fleet of Sea Kings is now a habitat for some of the remaining Cod in the Atlantic)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Huh, I wake up over 12 hours after the No Fly Zone was voted on and it doesn't seem like much has happened. I mean, obviously we aren't going in there guns blazing and without proper planning, but still, it's been over half a day.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

pylb posted:

France said they didn't want a NATO intervention.
We have reports of pro-Kadhafi troops bombing cities, but we also have declarations from Kadhafi's goverment declaring a cease-fire. The West can't afford to attack Kadhafi's forces if they have indeed stopped their attack (and if they haven't, we need reliable proof to be legally covered).

Reliable proof, nothing, the Pro-Gaffadi forces were initiating a mass bombardment of one of the cities (a completely indiscriminate bombardment no less) at the exact same time the supposed 'cease-fire' was called.

Obviously, calling for a cease-fire was just a terrible stalling tactic that didn't work. I think the loyalists know just how screwed they are, but are desperately looking for a way out.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

We also rent tanks from Germany; It's like "Do you guys have an Army?" "No, but we've got friends with armies!"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Didn't a few people in the thread say they were going to start operating in a few minutes from now, though?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hello Mr. Chomsky, what up?

Nah, even Chomsky gave credit where credit was due, that was just the worst post.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Cartouche posted:

For christ sake.

I am feeling so much angst. This is like seeing a mother telling her son to stop poking his sister over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over and wanting to push the mother out of the way and smack the kid silly.

:nyd: Don't cross this line!
:pervert: *crosses line*
:nyd: Don't cross THIS line!
:nyd: DON'T cross this line!

At what point would it be feasible to flatten his stronghold and move on to diplomacy with someone there that is not batshit insane?

To be fair, they aren't playing the 'don't cross this line' bullshit (at least, they aren't yet, anyway).

Eventually Gaddafi's going to slip up, and attack some city, and the entire thing will come crashing down on him. Otherwise, the rebels have a pretty easy win ahead of them because the loyalists are basically paralysed at this point.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Yaos posted:

In a few years there will be Call Of Duty 10: Revolution. The middle level will involve the Libyan military entering Benghazi, you get shot in the leg and you're alone. As the tanks and trucks come up on you they explode in a huge fireball as jets streak past 100 feet above the ground. The last level will involve a fight with Gadaffi in his mech suit on his armored blimp.

I assume the mech suit will be launched from the blimp?

Also, this is - as far as I've researched - the combat debut of the Typhoon and the Rafale.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

It's such a dumb question anyway because there's really only a handful of countries that have the capability to stop a substantial air assault from the Western allies. Only one is in the mideast, and it isn't Iran. You'd figure with all the military analysts the news stations employ they would mention that once or twice, but nope.

Doesn't Iran have a number pf S-300 Missiles from Russia? I forget.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Um, is there a reason that Misrata isn't being hounded upon by coalition interdiction flights?

I'm sure there's a good reason, but it seems odd that the CQ forces didn't get curbstomped by a dozen or so Rafales by now.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

DevNull posted:

gently caress the politics of it. The rebels on the ground are getting some help. They are happy.

Ultimately, this. I think political ramifications should always be prepared to take a back seat when put up against basic humanism. If we can't even save innocent people who are being slaughtered in front of us, then the international community has either failed, or never existed beyond a sanctimonious pretense.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Reaganomicon posted:

Let me tell you about this little thing called Guantanamo Bay...

Um, congrats. Don't assume that just because I'm supporting this action doesn't mean I'm anything close to a right-winged jingoistic American. I think GB is a symbol of the failure of the American constitution, and that for the most part, American foreign policy has been a steaming pile of crap for the past decade.

Like someone else said, this reflects how most people on this thread feel. Just because we agree with a single thing a person or group does, does not mean we whole-heartedly support every fiber of their existence.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Reaganomicon posted:

Whoa, at there I was thinking that you now have a black man for president? Did I dream that?

Um, I meant "Guantanamo Bay", not "George Bush"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Ziwayah

Dear God, that's horrible.

It's absolutely cringeworthy to think about what would happen if Gaddafi had taken control of the whole country.

And this is the third largest city in the country. Where the hell are the fighter jets?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Fapitalism posted:

If the rumors about Ziwayah are true then there goes any hope the U.S. and allies could pull out of trying to help Libya. The spin from Arabs will be if the coalition didn't go in then Ghaddafi would never have been pushed to the brink and forced to take really drastic action and eliminate a whole city.

Of course Ghaddafi has proven before the coalition even invaded that he is nuts and capable of mass civilian casualties. But that will all be forgiven to much of the world because the coalition pushed him into such dire straits. I know America wants to help countries, and to the pessimists the U.S. is in Libya for the oil (heads up, U.S. got no oil from Libya before this "war") but America needs to realize the Middle East is a pit that no matter what an outside country does in the region it will always be seen as imperialism.

I'm sure there will be negative fallout from this incident towards the coalition if even a tenth of the rumors about Ziwayah are true, but even I'm not that cynical.

Hell, this could even be a moment that galvanises the international community against the Gadaffi forces irreversably (not that I'm saying this event would be a good thing. Even thinking about it, I'm treading a fine line between absolute despair and absolute rage).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Dundee McFluffers posted:

This is assuming that Western nations are there because they care about Libyan civilians.

Fine, every time a nation-state does anything, there are ulterior motives - I get that. But they at least have to play the part of protecting civilians. There has to be some reason that those forces didn't get annihilated as soon as they came within sniffing distance of that city.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

piss posted:

It really sounds like the government has lost complete control of Benghazi.

Finally, something we can all agree on!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

ZetaReticuli49er posted:

I prefer to spend most of my time reading articles at Antiwar.com and the Future of Freedom Foundation (https://www.fff.org) where this "intervention" on Libya is being seen as foolhardy.

Huh, a place called antiwar.com is opposed to military action. That seems like a perfectly unbiased source on the matter.

Also, it's stupid to have the same opinion on everything regardless of context. There are perfectly good reasons for normal dove-lobbyists to support action in Libya (ie, civilians were being massacred everytime Gaddafi took ground).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I think there is still some question if these are all actual snipers with sniper rifles and such, or if they're mostly guys holed up with regular small arms just firing out at whatever moves.

EDIT: I don't get the impression that this is like 'Enemy at the Gates' or something, with dozens of highly trained crack snipers taking down everything that moves.

Yeah; I would even go so far as to doubt that these people have decent marksmanship training. That's not to say that it isn't a bad situation, but I don't think these 'snipers' will pose a threat to any organised resistance.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

straw man posted:

Part of the fun and the challenge in participating in a progressive community is that it's not possible to present an outside idea without opening oneself to an attack on the messenger. This was all written down by Saul Alinsky in 1971, and, while it works, it only works in the absence of leadership - certainly not a problem during the Nixon administration nor any of those that have followed.

America's founders made a pretty clear stand against alliances. I'm not saying they're right or wrong - just that it's what they said.

Um, what did most of this mean? Also, the early American isolationist policies have been completely swept aside by centuries of history, and holding any modern day politician accountable to uphold them is utter lunacy.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Wiz posted:

Tossing in a quote from the founding fathers without an actual argument to back it up is not 'presenting an outside idea', its 'appeal to authority'.

It isn't even that, because he even said that he didn't necessarily agree with the quote. So basically he's dropping a quote that has nothing to do with the context of the situation for no apparent reason.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Where are you C/Ping that from?

It sounds like Free Republic at first guess, but who knows?

Also, in response to Brown Moses' surprise that there hasn't been a civilian building hit:

We actually don't know if that's the case, but if the Loyalist Regime reported a legitimate example of collateral damage, it would probably turn into a case of 'the boy who cried airstrike'. After witnessing the phony funerals and laughably incompetent propagandists on the various media, and hearing rumours of Gaddafi putting corpses into military targets, most of the world is going to treat accounts of civilian deaths with extreme skepticism.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

euphronius posted:

The one major difference between this war and Iraq is that there is broad and bilateral international support for it. The UNSC's resolution is clear. I personally think the reasons behind them* are similar but I am a horrible cynic.

*the reasons for US involvement.

While this is at the very least mostly true, there is still a difference in context because Gaddafi was actively pursuing the murder of many thousands of civilians and barely trained/equipped 'militants' with only the aforementioned barely trained/equipped 'militants' to stop him.

It would be equivalent if:

A) Saddam Hussein was actively trying to outright annihilate every single resident of Kurdistan.

B) (and this is the important one) There was a significant group of Iraqi citizens demanding foreign intervention.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

YorexTheMad posted:

"Obama has made a lot of lovely mistakes and left a lot of promises unfulfilled" and "Obama has capably handled the Libyan situation" are not mutually exclusive statements.

They are if you have a mind only capable of processing things in black and white.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Oh no, Al-Qaeda are drugging their Nescafe too :ohdear:

Dude, this is from weeks ago. Where have you been?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Tha- that isn't... is it?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Save the Children UK has put out this press release:

drat, that is really sobering. I don't think we can ever hope to measure the full extent of the damage caused by CQ's tyranny. We can only hope that it ends very quickly.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Putin posted:

:words:

Wait, isn't this the guy that launched a unilateral invasion of Georgia that was heavily criticised by the international community?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

gently caress aid ships, right Gaddafi?

Why is CQ doing all of these things that are antagonising massive amounts of people? Tunisia and Egypt may very well end up declaring war on his regime, and imagine an aid ship actually got sunk; the foreign outcry would be tremendous! You'd think at this point he'd just try to consolidate his forces to friendly territory and try to stay quiet.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Contraction mapping posted:

Yeah, after the first month I was pretty sure Misrata is first in line for the title of 'Hero City' after the revolution is over.

Wasn't there a folk song this topic linked to that referred to Misrata as the City of Heroes or something like that? It's weird that this war is producing its own national mythology even though it isn't even over yet.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Ballz posted:

Ben Stein

This is perhaps the dumbest thing I am going to hear all week. Have - in fact - any of the street movements in the Middle East whatsoever been linked to any amount of support for Iran?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Welp. There goes the Libyan Navy.

The TNC should send its captured ships to harass Brega or to interdict the road between it and El Agheila. Cutting off the supply line to Brega is the simplest way for the Rebels to win, and maybe the only one; I don't see them capable yet to take it by force.

Wouldn't that be putting civilians at risk - therefore making such Naval sorties potential targets for NATO themselves? I'm not that knowledgeable as to the specifics of that, though.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

King Dopplepopolos posted:

They might have had more success against the Iraq War if the media had given them the attention they give the Tea Party. Millions worldwide and hundreds of thousands here protested, and the only thing the media could say was, "heh, silly hippies :smug:" But a few thousand retards in tricorn hats are national news and are worth taking seriously.

Edit: not to mention how much the media loving cheerleaded for that war.

I remember reading something about how there was an anti-war rally with about 300 thousand people next to a pro-war rally with less than 300 people, and they both got roughly equal coverage.

Is it truly a democracy if the voices of so many people can be dismissed so easily?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Pajser posted:

Can we take some comfort, that this poo poo is not going to last forever? Right?
:smith:

For fucks sake, couldn't they have just let her drive a couple of blocks and not make a big deal out of it?

I know that's the logical thing to think, but if you believe that, you probably don't know just how rear end-backwards and misogynistic Saudi Arabia really is. For instance, this is a country where a woman can get punished in court for being gang-raped, just because the testimony of her rapists outweigh hers because of their respective genders.

So much as leaving the house alone as a woman is something that is frowned seriously upon even if permission is not given from the husband (if permission is not given, it is an outright crime).

Saudi Arabia is a cesspit from the Dark Ages with the funding of an industrialised first-world nation.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Pajser posted:

It's not that it's logical, I just thought they wouldn't dare go this far, especially at a time like this. They could have at least thought of a good cop out, or bullshit bureaucracy like "We are taking her case into consideration", then wait for it to be forgotten and act like nothing happened. You know, being subtle and smart in your oppression.
This just makes the future look so much worse.

I guess I am overestimating the intelligence level of a brutal theocratic regime.

You're both overestimating their intelligence and underestimating their sheer horrible brutality. Saudi Arabia is basically as oppressive as a country can get while maintaining a decent economy/relationship with the west. I have a feeling that within a matter of decades, if not months/years, the country will face a complete revolutionary overhaul and become one of the most liberalised countries in the entire region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Pajser posted:

You may be right, I sincerely hope you are. But to get to state where things are at least marginally better, lots people will die, be tortured or worse. And for what? So a small wealthy minority could keep some sort of moral high ground?
A Saudi revolution would probably be the biggest clusterfuck in known history, even bigger than a supposed revolt in Iran.

Oh, I never said anything about it being bloodless, or pretty. It could very well end up being one of the most terrible regional affairs in history. And if any western countries are stupid try to get involved in favour of the original regime, it is almost guaranteed to turn into a massive clusterfuck for everyone even remotely involved.

• Locked thread