Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

suboptimal posted:

Ouch, confusing Zarqawi and Zawahiri is sloppy for Fred Kaplan. I've met that guy before, and he's pretty sharp.

There's an interesting point in that article:

quote:

While stomping through Mosul, some of their militiamen stormed the Turkish consulate and kidnapped Turkish diplomats. Under international law, that amounts to an attack on Turkey, and it’s unlikely that the Turks will simply shrug.

Turkey is a NATO country, so they could potentially go Article 5 on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Best Friends posted:

The Iraqi army is basically a collection of homeless people given uniforms and, occasionally, firearms.

They're being upgraded to little kids.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

I think at this point if ISIS invaded Turkey with combined arms and beheaded Erdogan on live TV, US support for intervention would top out at about 14%.

Maybe saying that ISIS control of Iraqi oil fields will cause an increase in gas prices will motivate people to support a third Iraq War.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

Luckily at that point US support would be irrelevant, thanks to German tanks rolling through Turkey crushing ISIS under them. (This isn't hyperbole, for some strange reason even though we Germans are really, really pacifistic, a recent poll showed something like 60% support for defending our NATO-partners.)

Makes sense, since the Germans decided to stop having children and adopt Turkish Gastarbeiter instead, that they'd be overwhelmingly in favor of defending Turkey from enemies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

Also around 60% support for our allies is actually really bad, it's another sign of our pacifism -barely half of us would support a war even when we would just defend our partners.

Seriously this time, I don't see Germany or most other EU countries actually willing to intervene unless Turkey forces their hand by invoking NATO article 5. Especially since it'd be perceived as having to go clean up the USA's mess.

There might be some airstrike campaign, but even that isn't certain. France for example is already busy in Africa (Mali, Central Africa) and the fresh new conflict between Congo and Rwanda isn't going to help.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

It relates to how conservatives in the US believe it would be exciting to invade Mexico seeking to quell the cartels, for it would provide opportunities to "accidentally" massacre civilians as punishment for the crime of being Mexican. Or Catholic. Or dark-skinned.

It's an old thing; though in the past the US have been too racist to go on with invading Mexico.

quote:

The next reason which my resolutions assign, is, that it is without example or precedent, wither to hold Mexico as a province, or to incorporate her into our Union. No example of such a line of policy can be found. We have conquered many of the neighboring tribes of Indians, but we have never thought of holding them in subjection—never of incorporating them into our Union. They have either been left as an independent people amongst us, or been driven into the forests.

I know further, sir, that we have never dreamt of incorporating into our Union any but the Caucasian race—the free white race. To incorporate Mexico, would be the very first instance of the kind of incorporating an Indian race; for more than half of the Mexicans are Indians, and the other is composed chiefly of mixed tribes. I protest against such a union as that! Ours, sir, is the Government of a white race. The greatest misfortunes of Spanish America are to be traced to the fatal error of placing these colored races on an equality with the white race. That error destroyed the social arrangement which formed the basis of society. The Portuguese and ourselves have escaped—the Portuguese at least to some extent—and we are the only people on this continent which have made revolutions without being followed by anarchy. And yet it is professed and talked about to erect these Mexicans into a Territorial Government, and place them on an equality with the people of the United States. I protest utterly against such a project.

Sir, it is a remarkable fact, that in the whole history of man, as far as my knowledge extends, there is no instance whatever of any civilized colored races being found equal to the establishment of free popular government, although by far the largest portion of the human family is composed of these races. And even in the savage state we scarcely find them anywhere with such government, except it be our noble savages—for noble I will call them. They, for the most part, had free institutions, but they are easily sustained among a savage people. Are we to overlook this fact? Are we to associate with ourselves as equals, companions, and fellow-citizens, the Indians and mixed race of Mexico? Sir, I should consider such a thing as fatal to our institutions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Deteriorata posted:

I guess we got even by lying to the Brits about Iraq and getting them sucked into that mess.

The Brits went in Iraq willingly because BP was deathly afraid that otherwise Total would stay in Iraq.

Secret memos expose link between oil firms and invasion of Iraq posted:

Whereas BP was insisting in public that it had "no strategic interest" in Iraq, in private it told the Foreign Office that Iraq was "more important than anything we've seen for a long time".

BP was concerned that if Washington allowed TotalFinaElf's existing contact with Saddam Hussein to stand after the invasion it would make the French conglomerate the world's leading oil company. BP told the Government it was willing to take "big risks" to get a share of the Iraqi reserves, the second largest in the world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

the boston bomber posted:

So that's why the French didn't support the invasion after all. I did think it was weird that they were so anti-Iraq intervention but shilled so hard for Libya and Mali.

Yes, they refused to join because they wanted to lose their oil contracts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

the boston bomber posted:

Well since removing Saddam was an explicit point of the invasion, it doesn't seem like they would have kept their oil contracts even if they did join in. Why would the French want to knock off a guy who was providing them with massive oil contracts, just to replace him with an administration that would definitely award those contracts to the Americans?

At the time of BP's lobbying, Bush was still trying to convince Chirac (and Putin) of joining the coalition so contracts for Total (and Lukoil) were definitely on the table. But since Britain was taken for granted, BP was afraid they'd be overlooked. France stubbornly opposed the invasion, knowing perfectly that this position would reduce or remove Total's presence in Iraq.

Annoying Americans was worth going against corporate interests. It allowed Chirac to pretend he really was a Gaullist.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pengun101 posted:

wow, destroying graves and shrines and history. Thats hosed up. then again saudia arabia is already doing that.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_early_Islamic_heritage_sites_in_Saudi_Arabia

So if they destroy old tombs and mosques as being idolatrous, what are they waiting for to destroy the biggest idolatry of Islam?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mightypeon posted:

I still wonder if the French Elite troops that once liberated the Kaaba from some Islamist extremists back in the 1979 actually pretended to convert to Islam first.

They were asked to, apparently.

Given that the seizure was a complete success for the fanatics (yeah, they got executed for their troubles, but they obtained most of their goals anyway, and it's not like they object to dying in the pursuit of their goals nowadays) it's a wonder they haven't tried that again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Professor Funk posted:

Yep, Paul Bremer is definitely the guy who I want to tell me what we should do in Iraq.

Obviously, what is needed to stabilize the region is a Mosul Stock Exchange to complement the Baghdad-based ISX.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pengun101 posted:

speaking of that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27838978 this rear end in a top hat joined ISIS leaving his kids behind so that who could play COD IRL edtion. I honestly hope he dies.
I hope he gets to discover that in real life, crouching behind cover does not heal your wounds in a matter of seconds.

quote:

"For us to be here it's freedom. Total freedom. I can walk around with a Kalashnikov if I want to."

"This idea of us wanting to go back and plot terror attacks in our countries is absolute rubbish. We are having a good life here."

Al-Britani has said he has no plans to go back to the UK.

"I felt like I was in prison in that country, you need road tax, you need this, you need that, blah blah, it's just money making schemes."
This guy's motive for joining a barbarian horde and commit war crimes are explicitly "right to bear arms" and "taxes and regulations".

ISIS is the Muslim Tea Party.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If heads of states/governments were only chosen among sane people, there'd be a lot less pointless, bloody conflicts. He just basically charged about one-third of the Iraqi population as traitors.

He's probably right about Saudi Arabia, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Misandrist Duck posted:

Motherfucking Dick Cheney writes an op-ed

Guess which president he's talking about

quote:

Only a fool would believe American policy in Iraq should be ceded to Iran, the world's largest state sponsor of terror.
Cheney is still one of the most hypocritical politicians in the world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sergg posted:

No, we had great success in achieving the following things with the Iraq War:

Halliburton made a fuckton of money.

I don't think the Iraq invasion had any other actual objective than that (WMDs, terrorists, democracy, etc. was just PR to sell the war), so it was a massive victory.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheBalor posted:

No, it had objectives, it's just that they were absolutely insane. Despite what's said, the Bush administration didn't actually want to settle down and focus on looting Iraq. They honestly believed they would be in and out in months at the most, then they could move on to the next place. From a base in liberated Iraq, they could knock over Iran and Syria. Free market democracies would bloom, the US would have infinite access to cheap oil from grateful populaces, the heavens would open up and angels would sing hosannas.

That's something I can believe about Dubya (plus probably some Daddy Issues), but not of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove, Wolfowitz, and others. And especially Cheney, who was still getting a regular paycheck from Halliburton.

Another reason I'm not buying the naive idealism angle is that they were bribing other countries to join the Coalition of the Billing with the perspective of juicy reconstruction contracts, and with annulling the oil field exploitation contracts Saddam Hussein signed so that they could be re-attributed. This latter part is what caused BP to apply intense lobbying efforts for getting the UK in the war.

It was a war caused in order to pillage Iraq's natural resources and make a steady cash flow into the military-industrial complex, security contractors, and construction industry. Where the free market democracy daydream enter the picture is that it was supposed to make the whole destruction/slaughter/appropriation palatable to the victimized population. In doing so, it brought a little dose of paternalistic "White Man's Burden" to a 18th-century-style colonial project.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 22, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

It's also complete hindsight to say that we went to war in Iraq because of a handful of people with ulterior motives. Within days of 9/11, all the way up to the invasion, there was tremendous public and congressional support for the war from both sides of the aisle.

There was also tremendous public and political opposition to the war abroad. 9/11 justified the war in Afghanistan, and it was rather well accepted internationally.

And it's kinda cavalier to dismiss blood for oil as a conspiracy theory when there is evidence. It may not have been the only factor, but it was definitely near the top of the list.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well who's going to take Kirkuk back from the Kurds?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I suppose something was lost in translation and in the original sentence in Hebrew, the subject of "provide a proper Zionist response" was not "the terrorists".

Randandal posted:

Why is the Palestinan government responsible in any way for what just amounts to a terrible crime committed within its' borders, beyond trying to solve the case? Is there some evidence of the Palestinans stonewalling the investigation or is Israel just being weird?

The Palestinian government is always responsible. It's its function.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheBalor posted:

They're not going to take Baghdad. They barely have enough members to hold what they have right now, let alone absorb millions upon millions of shiites.
"absorb" is a nice euphemism for genocide. It sounds so inclusive and peaceful.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is there anything to this: http://en.apa.az/news/213369 other than some random ISIS dude being nuts?

Like, correct me if I'm wrong but regardless of Sunni or Shiite, Mecca and poo poo is a key part of the faith isn't it? That'd be nuts even for them to say 'yea we'll fuckin break that rock yo' wouldn't it?

It's consistent with the salafist habit of destroying old shrines, tombs, mosques, and other places of historical significance to Muslims (in addition, of course, to stuff of historical significance to non-Muslims). The idea is to punish idolatry by destroying things that are (thought to be) worshiped instead of God.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also, if the dam's reservoir is filled up, a potentially disastrous flood.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

Bit of a side note, but ex French president Nicolas Sarkozy is sitting in jail awaiting questioning over an investigation into whether or not he received 50 million euros from Gaddafi as campaign contribution. You may remember Sarkozy from his joint effort with Bernard Henry Levy to be one of the loudest voices calling for intervention in Libya. Cold mother fucker.

BHL should be in jail too. Stupid warmongering rear end in a top hat.

Let's hope Sarkozy stays in jail as long as possible; it's his natural environment and he has no business being outside.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well now that there aren't any historic sites that need to be preserved anymore, we can carpet bomb with impunity, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I can see three possible reasons for making these maps:
1. Pro-ISIS propaganda. "Look how glorious we'll be, join us!"
2. Anti-ISIS propaganda. "Look how crazy they are, stop them!"
3. Trolling. "Let's see how many people we can make believe that these video game screenshots are actual official documents."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

defending a client state on their own territory would make it a pretty different scenario from the occupations people are real tired off, right?

Mali and Central Africa say it is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

What kind of airstrike capacity do the Iraqi military have?

Depends on how long it took them to reassemble the Su-25s that Russia just sent them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Section 31 posted:

I'm looking forward a football team full of bearded players thicker than Tim Howard's. Perhaps bearded referee as well...

Cutting off the goalie's hands if the other team scores...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait, soccer/'football' is haram?

How couldn't it be? Football is godless idolatry.

For reference, public executions were the only form of entertainment tolerated by the Taliban.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Best Friends posted:

Yes in American occupation free Syria we don't see anything like this.

Yeah, Syria and Iraq are situated in parallel universes with no points of contact, so we can safely say that there was no relationship at all between the fates of both countries. In particular, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria is known not to have obtained military equipment in Iraq and not to have used it in Syria. We only need to go back to Syria as it was in 2002 to see that it was already like it is now in 2014.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

Are you trying to connect the US occupation of Iraq with the uprising in Syria? There's not much there hth.

Connection? Yes. The mess in Iraq is not a direct cause of the uprising, but it had a large effect on the situation and its development. IS is, I think, a good example of something that most probably wouldn't have happened if Iraq had been left untouched by the USA in the 21st century. Maybe Saddam Hussein would have had to deal with an Iraqi Spring as well, but there wouldn't have been an Al-Qaida In Iraq to mutate into ISIS and then IS. This might have allowed the Syrian Spring uprising to be dominated by secular movements, instead of being dominated by jihadists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

Now that's a prospect less likely to happen than a (french-sponsored or not) coup d'état in the Comoros.

Ah, the Comoros. The situation in Anjouan in 1997 is funny to compare to Crimea 2014.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Miltank posted:

I used to be friends with a bunch of Kurds who believed the Middle East will never run out of oil because of a passage in the Koran haha

I've seen this from believers in abiotic oil claiming it was a "continuously-renewed wellspring" in that area.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What would happen to the remaining land, then? Join Saudi Arabia? Jordan? Kuwait? Syria?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Just The Facts posted:

Who would actually send troops in? The French?

They're kind of already just next door. But given that the country is still in full-on austerity and that the Army's maintenance budget has been slashed every year for a decade, and that none of the EU countries have accepted to shoulder part of the cost for the interventions in Mali and Central Africa, they're about at the limit of what they can effectively do. They just don't have enough materiel in working order to send in Libya. In large part, what they had to use so far was old materiel stationed in French military bases in the former colonies 30 or 40 years ago and that was back then already obsolete compared to homeland materiel, because the stuff they airlifted at the beginning of the operations isn't enough. (They have brought some neat modern stuff, but not enough.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xoidanor posted:

Rest of the world is asleep, the fallout will start tomorrow.

US and EU leaders unanimously posted:

We fully support Israel's valiant effort to defend its hapless citizens from the threat of inexcusable terrorism, and we wish to express our complete solidarity with the Israeli people. We also admire the length the IDF goes in order to avoid needless loss of life. Also Palestinians aren't human beings.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Frosted Flake posted:

What happened to Turkish democracy? Or secularism? Couldn't (shouldn't?) the US back a coup to restore Ataturk's legacy?

They should call it Operation Ajax II: Ajax Harder.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Martin Random posted:

Somehow my protest-oriented friends on facebook have forgotten their dedication to fighting genocide and ethnic cleansing, failed to create vigil events, protests, infographics, or long, passionate posts gnashing their teeth about the horrors of civilian casualties. How unfortunate that this particular ethnic group is so out of vogue that their slaughter is below popular notice.

It'd be hard to try to shame the ISIS guys for their crimes, or get the US government to cease financial and military assistance of ISIS, or even just get your heads of state and government to stop publicly proclaiming that ISIS has the undisputed right to defend themselves however they deem fit.

Certainly, protests and the likes could be made to lobby for a military intervention in Iraq, but given how ISIS' spectacular spread is a direct consequence of the last one, it'll be a tough sell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shaocaholica posted:

Given the recent news of all these atrocities, are people still being recruited from western countries to join IS?

The prospect of committing atrocities doesn't really deter people who believe themselves to be in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gregor Samsa posted:

Peshmerga are competent; if you mean well-equipped, then I guess things like an Air force would definitely change things. The closest thing we'll see to that is probably when Assad turns on them for real.

He'll only do that once he runs out of less insane opponents. It is, after all, the spectre of ISIS that prevents Western powers from sending more weapons willy-nilly in Syria to be used against him. As long as his strongest opponents are even worse than him, though, he's kinda safe from hostile foreign interferences.

• Locked thread