Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

Someone please post the picture of the Iraq briefing to Bush with the biblical references posted everywhere; thanks.

Not quite posters, but:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

and

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/200905/donald-rumsfeld-administration-peers-detractors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

We've been watching the invasion of Poland for the last several months, and ISIS are seriously gaining strength from the spoils.

So what, should we be waiting until the US, Russia and China go to Tehran?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

ISIS brought in engineers to get the lights back on.

It seems ISIS plans for post-invasion occupation much better than the US military does.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

In elected oligarchies, you make money from reflecting the mass' views.

I think the last few decades of American history have shown that the masses receive their views from the media companies owned by those very same oligarchs.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

i just want to make sure we're holding ourselves to your extremely important grammatical tastes, i mean can you even imagine a world in which nobody gives a gently caress what you personally think of somebody's spelling? it'd be utter chaos

Definitely use the Oxford comma.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Some rumblings that Kerry is trying to get Russia, SA, and the Israelis to sign on to the idea of a nuke-free ME. Sounds quixotic since I can't imagine Israel giving up their bombs, but that would be one way to approach it.

It worked for Ukraine, didn't it?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Yes it did its not a nuclear wasteland atm just a warzone!

Except that the overwhelming likelihood (based on relations between nuclear powers up until now) is that it would have been neither a warzone nor a nuclear wasteland had it retained its weaponry.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Liberal_L33t posted:

What with the endless drumbeat of terrorism, assassinations, destruction of historical sites, religious laws, honor killings and so on.

Until you said honor killings I thought you were talking about the American military

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Remember that time the American military shot somebody for drawing a cartoon of George Bush? And then the other time that happened just a few months before that? And man, don't even get me started on the sex slaves, burning people alive and slavery. We really aren't any better than the terrorists.

I take it you're a lesser of two evils type, eh?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

And people even objected my gimmick! As if you stupid Americans believe that a rebel force made up of Sunni extremists and Al Qaeda offshoots can be a good thing for Syria, or the Middle East, the USA or the world in general. Just look at how good helping Afghans against the Russians did to you.

Helping the Afghans against the Russians worked well, completely disengaging after the fact is what failed miserably. You overall point is still valid, though, given that's exactly what we would do again...

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but I have to ask it. What is preventing ISIS from attacking into Turkey? I know that would probably be positively suicide from a tactical standpoint but Daesh seems to make its gains by having its enemies overreact and do something stupid. They already tried before to draw the US in via beheadings so why not again? If they can worry Turkey enough to invoke Nato Article 5 then they can possibly get the US or its allies to put boots on the ground which would be a big win on the propaganda / recruiting front. Especially since it would be minimal boots since we are (rightly) still scared of going balls deep back in Iraq.

I don't think they want the US going full bore against them. They want the US involved, because we're a great recruiting tool, but you don't take Istanbul and Mecca at the same time.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

vapoursquid posted:

do you really think the takbir and 'heil hitler' are in any way equivalent..

I am sure they are wholly equivalent in the minds of numerous Americans, and possibly Europeans, across this fine planet.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I get to write a briefing paper directed towards Donald Trump covering how to approach the Middle East during his approaching first term - for a class assignment. What positions should I assume he should take towards the gulf states, the Arab world, and the rest of the Middle East?

Are you supposed to write it from your point of view or as you expect his advisors would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Like the United States readying itself to wade deeper into the Yemeni Civil War to back the Saudis and UAE.

This is the Trump administration, though, so we are getting paid right?

• Locked thread