Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IIRC, The in depth article about the besieged airbase from a while back mentioned that early on ISIS suffered enormous casualties from artillery and air strikes during battles because members were live-tweeting and live-photoblogging their positions and what they were doing. ISIS has long since ordered a halt to this practice, but i imagine useful information still pops up once in a while.

I also imagine there is a honeypot effect. Anyone following ISIS twitter accounts is probably on some NSA watchlist for heightened scrutiny. I suppose the theory is its better to know who's following ISIS than have less people following ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i read/skimmed the whole thing, the author laid out a lot of points demonstrating they are paying attention to things - but ultimately that made the argument for intervention feel weaker, since its relatively short and tacked on at the end.

there was no even slightly detailed case for how such an intervention might be accomplished. would the West attack through the (pro-IS) Turkey? Base with Assad? Fly literally everything into Kurdistan? Base out of Iraq? There don't seem to be any actual good options for creating a logistical chain for even a brief offensive. Creation of an even quasi secure corridor would take far more troops that probably would even be needed to fight ISIS. Additionally, the attitude towards casualties was pretty much "I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed..."

a lot of the points and links from this thread ran through my head when reading that, like the hostility of many Shia militias and some of ISIS's apocalyptic rhetoric; would the more hardcore ISIS supporters flinch at creating massive booby traps and holding tens of thousands hostage, when pushed to the brink? I don't think they would. I think it could get VERY ugly and would be extremely easy to mishandle. IMO, gradual loss of territory from continuous military defeat by peer organizations is much more likely to cause ISIS to just melt away without an apocalyptic confrontation, or at least not as big of one.

*shrug*

i don't think the US is capable of mounting a swift enough offensive to destroy ISIS before they get ugly, it's just too difficult and ISIS would have too much warning. what are we going to do, paradrop the 82nd Airborne?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ISIS Women and Enforcers in Syria Recount Collaboration, Anguish and Escape

quote:

SOUTHERN TURKEY — Dua had only been working for two months with the Khansaa Brigade, the all-female morality police of the Islamic State, when her friends were brought to the station to be whipped.

The police had hauled in two women she had known since childhood, a mother and her teenage daughter, both distraught. Their abayas, flowing black robes, had been deemed too form-fitting.

When the mother saw Dua, she rushed over and begged her to intercede. The room felt stuffy as Dua weighed what to do.

“Their abayas really were very tight. I told her it was their own fault; they had come out wearing the wrong thing,” she said. “They were unhappy with that.”

Dua sat back down and watched as the other officers took the women into a back room to be whipped. When they removed their face-concealing niqabs, her friends were also found to be wearing makeup. It was 20 lashes for the abaya offense, five for the makeup, and another five for not being meek enough when detained.

an all female police force? How progressive

quote:

Aws, 25, a former resident of Raqqa, Syria, used to be a member of the Khansaa Brigade, the Islamic State's female morality police. Her first husband was a jihadist, and when he died in a suicide operation she reluctantly agreed to marry another fighter.
:catstare:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

wow. i guess turkey was looking for an excuse pretty hardcore; im not sure how big that protrusion is, but the Russian plane couldn't have been in Turkish airspace more than a few minutes...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

I wasn't replying to you, but some people here say it's no big deal or saying that Putin had it coming.

Considering there are peace talks in the works and even Russia talks about a future without Assad (albeit not openly), this is a blatant sabotage of the peace process in Syria. You don't shoot down a bomber, leading to videos of Russian pilots being shot and dragged in the mud, over 17 seconds of airspace violation, if you're really interested in those peace talks.
if you want to be srs about it, you shouldn't be flippant and say it was just over 17 seconds of airspace violation. This isn't the first incident. From Oct. 6:

quote:

“Nato has issued a stern ultimatum,” Erdoğan was quoted as saying at a press conference in Brussels by local media. “We cannot endure it. Some steps that we do not desire are being taken. It is not suitable for Turkey to accept them. This is also beyond the principles of Nato.”

Nato’s secretary-general, Jens Stoltenberg, had said earlier on Tuesday that the Russian incursions into Turkish airspace did not appear to be an accident, because the incursions had happened twice and lasted for a long time.

On Monday, Turkey’s foreign ministry said the country had scrambled its fighter jets following a Russian plane’s incursion into its airspace. Separately, the armed forces said a Mig fighter plane had harassed a Turkish squadron of F-16s patrolling the border with Syria, locking its radar on the Turkish warplanes.

“I will not speculate on the motives … but this does not look like an accident, and we have seen two of them,” Stoltenberg was quoted as saying by Reuters.

The Russian ministry of defence said a SU-30 fighter plane briefly entered Turkish airspace by accident as a result of weather conditions and said its Syria Command had taken the necessary measures to prevent such an incident from reoccurring. It said it had also clarified the situation with its Turkish counterpart

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

is there some disputed airspace for greece<-> Turkey? Those numbers are absurdly high.

fake edit:

looks like current 'agreed' airspace is 6 nautical miles from land but Greece claims 10 nautical miles from land. I'd wager most (all?) of those violations fall in the 6-10 band.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's authoritarian macho posturing vs authoritarian macho posturing. Noone wins.

it boggles my mind that Russia would keep up this provocation nonsense while they were about start bombing Syria, though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

is that a new jet explosion, or the US stance on the earlier one?

life sure is confusing with all these exploding planes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

shooting a helpless pilot is sickening, but so is bombing helpless people on the ground; i cant see any moral math where the pilot's death is worse than the bombing campaigns.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i get the impression that once the top oligarch secures his grip on power (Putin), the other oligarchs need him more than he needs them.

not sure if that is the case for Erdogan, but it's kind of a fait accompli; the jet is shot down, Russia's making GBS threads on Turkey as best it can, and even if it turns some oligarchs against Erdogan, well suddenly those guys have a lot less money now :p

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

:|

despite being a serious incident this hardly warrants flippant commentary about military coups....

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

russia actually has some pretty good airplanes, if they sent a fighter after a random US strike package they would probably shoot it down. If they could get to it. Not sure about that given the weird airspace timesharing thing going on

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i think the primary parallel is the hefty involvement of outside fighters. but other than that there's too many differences to justify calling them similar. Spain was generally two sided (loyalist/junta); Syria is n-sided. Spain never had an ISIS-parallel entity. The dictator was already in charge in Syria.

I guess they both have Germans dropping bombs ~~

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i for one would like to hear how Iraq is Israel's fault :confused:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

How do you reconcile the long-term problems caused by Sykes-Picot with the thesis that the creation of Israel is the cause of the 'destruction' of the Middle East?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

which is terrible, but ultimately conscripts do have the option to run away. they are adults they can make choices. edit: I assume they are adults, just young.

it's not a choice i ever want to have to make, but iirc in the usa threats of future reprisal are not sufficient coercion to justify committing a crime and i agree with that principle.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i feel bad for people who got conscripted. but if you are carrying a gun, and (thusly) you are killing undeserving people in the service of assholes, i'm not going to get exercised that you died in the process.

big difference between being conscripted to dig a ditch or drive a truck and being a soldier.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 8, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

That sounds really unfair and bullshit to be honest, you're declaring this in a vacuum with no nuance in circumstance or geography.
'Do this or i'll hurt your family' is pretty much the go-to example for that sort of thing. I don't really know what would change with circumstance or geography, other than how credible you consider that threat.

Lots n lots n lots of people have fled ISIL so it's not exactly a 1:1 'I have to kill those guys or my family dies!' thing.

if we want to pose it as a moral exercise, if some guy had his family kidnapped and was watching them be threatend with a gun 24/7 over the webbernets, how many people would you excuse that guy killing before you lose sympathy for him?

quote:

Innocent people die if they refuse to cooperate as well, innocent people much emotionally closer to the conscript. You're asking emotionless ideological infallibility from a powerless individual who is placed under emotional duress, and taking an empty action that results in nothing. Sure glad you're okay with brown people dying for your exacting ideological and ethical standards, you might have to feel an ounce of sympathy otherwise.
Clearly I am a philosophy robot with no nuance. No. Like I said it's a terrible situation to be in.

But my sympathy does runs dry when a 'powerless individual' starts killing other people.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

RE: the lob bomb thing.

I was talking with a ex-military friend the other day and when we were discussing whether the C-RAM system ever actually worked he mentioned that the 'lob bombs' were used because they kept rocket trajectories too low for the radars or to shoot.

He didn't use that word but 'propane tanks attached to rockets' seems correct.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tits, violence, and empty chairs

Sounds like fun

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Syrian military and alawites have every reason to fight Isis with or without Assad.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, let's assume they gain some semblance of stability (they won't): Their primary money maker is oil. You need chemistry knowledge to manufacture oil. They've banned the teaching of chemistry.

Oil companies: well known not taking contract jobs with awful governments. You don't need many people who stone cold don't care about anything but a huge payday to get the job done. If ISIS actually lasts for 5-10 years, and the oil fields arn't being actively bombed, they could get expertise.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

To me, it seems more like infighting over who specifically gets control than any conflict of ideology or practical governance.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush was among the first to attack Obama for appearing weak in front of Iran, which has been at odds with the U.S. over a delicate nuclear deal that was finally reached last year.

"No more bargaining. Obama's humiliatingly weak Iran policy is exposed again," Bush tweeted.
I love this poo poo.

Does anyone know what 'strength' would be in this situation?

I guess it's that if everyone believes you are an insane rear end in a top hat who will nuke things with no basis whatsoever, they wouldn't have dared to investigate boats in their own territorial waters.

I sure hope those boat guys tossed their communications gear overboard or they're in deep poo poo, lol

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

-Troika- posted:

The only correct reponse for this situation should be "give all of our sailors back right now or we start making things with Iranian flags on them explode". Not waffling and hoping the Iranians give them back. Christ what a useless government we have right now.

why jump to needless belligerence when Iran's already going to give them back?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Americans not siding with Obama on Russia: Analyst
"US President Barack Obama’s last State of the Union (SOTU) address was a “shallow attempt” to fabricate an acceptable foreign policy record through ignoring well-established facts, says a former US Army psychological warfare officer."
I love it. Literally posting articles by a professional propagandist

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

fascinating article about Caro. I knew very little of this story beforehand.

it would be hilarious if it wernt so weird and sad. Merde, as it were.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Invasion by liberal aliens.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Because [GAS].

It's the reason. Let's not pretend it doesnt exist.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"Providing aid for security" has nominally been the US strategy in Iraq and Afghanistan for years and it doesn't really seem to be doing much.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the saudis dumped the oil price, destroying russia's economy

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

Would there be anything stopping Russia from bombing any Saudi forces deployed to Syria?

a desire for oil prices to ever increase again?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there's 2 aspects to the american military that most other militaries dont have

1.) power projection, which it does better than anyone else. Generally if its not easy for your military to reach somewhere with trucks, you can't do much without American assistance.

2.) ordnance stockpile and production, which i imagine is what Zimbardo is referring to - since 1.) doesnt apply to any of the belligerents.

However, without actual knowledge of a particular nations ammunition stockpiles vers what they are using, there's no way to make a remotely definitive statement as to how long a nation can keep up a particular level of military action. For all I know turkey has 2 years of artillery ammo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Considering the date, two days off from the 17th anniversary of Ocalan's arrest
(and 17 years to the day of the fatal attempt to storm the Israeli embassy by Kurdish protesters in Berlin), the Ankara blast has PKK written all over it.
That's a weak rear end correlation.

Waiting for any actual evidence it was the PKK. 'Initial signs' doesnt mean much without a claim of responsibility.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What's a Bazaari?

My brain keeps toggling between BIZZARROOO and guys who just looooove marketplaces.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

edit: wrong thred

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It should be noted that there's all sorts of anti-islam masturbatory fantasies in the right-wing sci-fi military fiction genre, although never having read any of them I cant say how specifically bigoted they get. Lots of evil Caliphates, though. Never heard of those actually being a problem for the author.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

what's a few cities between friends?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's succession crisis. No clear successor to the current leader, no announced heir, supposedly there's envelopes containing handpicked choices but there may be more than one name written down and more than one envelope.

~Hurray for eliminating anyone who can threaten your base of power, hurray for monarchy~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Thanks ISIS for making Assad look like the better of *any* spectrum of options. Just another of the wonderful things they've brought us.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2016

• Locked thread