Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What will it take to hopefully eliminate every last ISIS member off the face of the Earth? Where the hell is the Arab coalition? Is anything actually being done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if there will be Arab Coalition troops on the ground fighting ISIS next month.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Pretty much. Some discussions on Arab League coordination were all that was needed to rule out the option. Best to let the Jordanians manage their own defense and...figure out what to do with Turkey.

While others separate ISIS and US issues in the ME from Russia's actions in Crimea and Ukraine, in foreign policy considerations, one cannot so readily separate the two. As I said in clancychat, America wouldn't have an ISIS problem if Russia was competent enough to pull a Sisi with Assad.
Why is Putin so hellbent on honoring it's old alliance with Syria anyways? Is he desperately trying to counter American influence in the region even as his own slowly crumbles in light of the Ukraine Crisis? Granted I wouldn't have much business in the Middle East myself if not for our current reliance on oil that will eventually dwindle as we move towards clean energy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

*A compelling wall of text*
So this is why we're keeping Iran out of the coalition (besides other obvious reasons) against ISIS?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

Compelling. That's the right word. Jesus Christ DND is poo poo. Yes, the guy who admits to fake posting (and seemingly spends most of his waking hours doing so) as a sociopathic beltway insider has made a compelling post. Are you seriously so impressed by this dolts "narrative" that you honestly want to hear his opinion about Iran? Why not just google "Grover Norquist Iran ISIS" or "How to suck Dick Cheney off?"??!
The better question is: Why were you compelled to rant this post? Why am I worth your time?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quick! Someone inform Bassem Youseff that we found work for him in Iraq! :ninja:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Iraq's New Prime Minister, apparently, wants Arab strikes against ISIS to end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29447201

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So how effective have the airstrikes been so far overall? How much of ISIS lay in ruins by now?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any progress made on eradicating ISIS this month?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Edit: Crap, double-post. please delete.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone said anything about Erdogan's misogyny towards women in Turkey yet? If not, I have a treat for you:

quote:

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said women cannot be treated as equal to men, and has accused feminists of rejecting motherhood.

"You cannot put women and men on an equal footing," he told a meeting in Istanbul. "It is against nature."

He also said feminists did not grasp the importance of motherhood in Islam.

His comments often seek to appeal to his pious core supporters, says the BBC's Mark Lowen in Istanbul, but they anger more liberal voters.

Turks who have more secular views argue that the government's social policies are taking the country in a dangerous direction, our correspondent says.

Mr Erdogan has previously urged women to have three children, and has lashed out against abortion and birth by Caesarean section.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30183711

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tias posted:

It's on the last page. :cmon:
Am I becoming a mockery on this site? What is with today?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tias posted:

I don't know, man, it just wasn't that easy to miss if you kept up with the thread. I haven't seen your other posts, so can't tell if you got the gypsy curse or what.
WHAT GYPSY CURSE!?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quote of the day (if it hasn't already been posted): "Put the chicken wings down n join the jihad bro" - Anonymous Twitter twat.

(also mentioned on Daily Show)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Given that Erdogan has finally snapped, given in completely to his inflated megalomania (which he may actually have) and has gone full-on Ahmadinejad with Turkey, I wonder how long it will be before somebody (preferably by a western nation) ousts his sorry rear end?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have nothing to say to you MIGF. Only that one day I hope you finally learn the true error of your words.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was Reagan shat on by reporters often after 9/11, considering he openly supported the Taliban, indirectly trained Bin Laden and let Rumsfeld sell WMDs to Saddam Hussein?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I would hate to think that the Saudi succession would allow Jihadist extremists the chance to start ravaging the country, which would cause all economic hell to break loose. How likely is that?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jagchosis posted:

So I didn't watch the video did Jihadi John give another asinine speech goading another developed country to join a war against ISIS that they happen to not really be winning right now?

"This is your fault, Mr. Abe, for ... reasons"
I wonder if we'll be hearing this soon in Mosul (without the Nanking allegories):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cufG2Dlxvk

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Have we had any progress this year against ISIS besides Kobane?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MothraAttack posted:

Most everything north of Sinjar, as well as almost all of Diyala province, have been retaken.
We'll eventually be able to hang them all, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I believe that this is bloody amazing: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31148916

quote:

A call to renew Islam's religious discourse has been gaining momentum in Middle Eastern press in the wake of the brutal killing of a captured Jordanian pilot by Islamic State (IS) militants.

Amid the condemnations, commentators are discussing new ways to fight IS ideologically, two days after the jihadist group circulated a 20-minute graphic video showing Moaz al-Kasasbeh being burnt alive.
'Misunderstanding Islam'

"Do not say Islam is innocent of such thoughts [burning people alive]. Islam has not been innocent since the lunatics and psychopaths started interpreting sayings according to their own mentality," Hidah Hizam of Algeria's pro-government Al-Fadjr writes.

He adds that the Koran and religion in general need to be freed from the ideas of "the lunatic" Ibn Taymiyah, whose writings are used by al-Qaeda to justify its acts.

"The incident reveals psychological disorder and a misunderstanding of Islam and requires quick action to renew religious discourse," Egypt's state-run Al-Ahram newspaper says in a front-page editorial.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So, regarding that 'psychopath' Al-Baghadi, can we expect to 'see him in New York' this year?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Apparently ISIS recently called for the assassinations of sheiks Yasir Qadhi and Hamza Yusuf :psyduck:
Apparently ISIS recently freed 19 christian hostages for some loving reason :psyboom:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if Yesh Atid's ascendency is now assured after Bibi's disastrous speech at the US congress yesterday...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At this point I think Egypt is still in a more progressive direction than Turkey's.

The war should be called Jericho's Disposition.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Turkey is on the road to merging mosque and state under a presidential dictatorship. Egypt maintains separation of religion from state through presidential dictatorship.
And personally that's all that matters to me when concerning an Islamic Nation. Democracy is still an alien concept to many in the levant.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

oh ok you're a racist idiot with a particular hard on for oppressing brown people then.
Hold on. This has NOTHING to do with race. This has to do with the fact that the majority of muslims in the Middle East (as Ted Talks put it) are very distrustful of democracy, seeing it as another tool for 'western imperialists'. Hence very few grassroots organizations. Hence the extreme insecurity of attempted democratic institutions in the region, prone to fall to either extremists or dictators. This has to do with battling religious extremism.

That is what I meant.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

McDowell posted:

When the US invaded Iraq I recall one member of the coalition offered monkeys that you would set loose in a minefield to disarm it.
Were they french?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

The French weren't part of the Coalition, don't you remember the era of "Freedom Fries" and all that dumb poo poo?
I was trying to make the zinger you cheese.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Red Crown posted:

Uncorroborated reporting from a non-state run news agency says that Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamanei died of natual causes last night: http://www.rassd.com/22-132569.htm

If this pans out, it may or may not have a pretty profound effect on the ISIS Crisis and the nuclear talks.

e: He was described as being in "critical condition" as late as yesterday, so this isn't a bolt from the blue.
Holy poo poo. If the rumors are true, who will replace him? Or will the revolution finally get undone?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Well at least Iran won't be taking the Republicans seriously any time soon...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sergg posted:

We just need to keep one out of the White House. Seriously this country is hosed if we have another 8 years of Republican rule and I may just move to Australia or the UK after I'm done with nursing school because with all 3 branches and several Supreme Court justices the Republicans will gut healthcare.
Fear not, I will aspire to become one of Hilary Clinton's junior campaign aids/advisors next year and together our general hatred of conservatism (as well as polls and popularity) shall sweep away the impudent legislature. Heck, the legislature needs serious culling if not overhauling to keep those shitheads in line.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Welp. I might as well draw this awesome diplomat and hang him on my wall. Enemy of my Enemy (GOP) is a friend, despite being OUR enemy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Egypt's going to start building a new capital right outside of Cairo. Practical or just part of Sisi's personality cult?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is a great analogy and I am going to steal it.

I know a couple department chairs who probably wish they had private militias.
Do you live in the deep south for such thinking to occur?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Out of curiosity, what should be my opinion of Pakistan as a state/human rights record?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Sisi actually that worse than Mubarak or Nasser? I would gleefully be supporting his new capital proposal in my current shoes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Its good to know you value real estate scamre than human rights, freedom and democracy.

In a region of the world where democracy's quite frowned upon as Imperialistic and lacking grassroots? That seems to be the impression ive been getting lately. Ill shut up now.

(God I feel like a jerkass for saying that now that I think about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Liberal_L33t posted:

Any movement that the Muslim Brotherhood can't be dis-entwined from doesn't merit an ounce of support from the west. The sooner the west can get that message across to all the activists of the middle east, the better.

Also, out of curiosity to the thread in general: would you rather be an Egyptian christian living in rural Egypt under Sisi (or Mubarak if you prefer), or Morsi? Assume you also have a sister for the purpose of this thought exercise.
Speaking of which I just heard that the head of these guys (and 13 others) have just been sentenced to death, final verdict 4/11.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31914964

• Locked thread