Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

Oh mysterious forces at work, do Russia next.

Gorbachev thinks it may happen. http://on.wsj.com/gIKwhY

Ashmole posted:

ياللا بينا يا الشام

I'm waiting for Syria to go nuts.

عقبا لسورية والأردن والسعودية واليمن وليبيا والمغرب والكويت وإيران والإمارات وعمان وقطر والبحرين

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Add Djibouti to the list. (AJE)

quote:

Thousands of demonstrators have rallied in the East African nation of Djibouti to demand that president Ismail Omar Guelleh resign, the latest in a series of demonstrations spurred on by political protests across Africa and the Middle East.

Amid a tight police deployment, the demonstrators gathered at a stadium on Friday with the intention of staying there until their demands were met.

But the demonstration escalated into clashes after dusk, as authorities used batons and tear gas against stone-throwing protesters.

Guelleh has served two terms and faces an election in April, but critics are concerned by changes he made to the constitution last year that scrapped a two-term limit.

Officials from the Union for Democratic Change, an umbrella group of three opposition parties, gave speeches at Friday's demonstration calling for Guelleh to step down.

The group's leader, Ismael Guedi Hared, told the AFP news agency before the demonstration that Guelleh should leave power and called for a sustained protest movement.

"For the moment, our goal is to remove Ismael Omar Guelleh from power," he said.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

They are also saying on AJE that a Libyan diplomat claimed on AJ Arabic that Gaddafi's sons ended up argueing, and one of them shot the other, and that there's reports that Gaddafi has fled to Venezula.

Yup, heard the guy on AJ Arabic. Pretty amazing if true.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Galewolf posted:

Hey guys, i just entered home and trying to follow the news right now. It was a goddamn horror ride for me but i am safe and sound now, i literally feel like a movie protagonist jumping out from a window of building rigged with explosives before everything blew.

Jesus H. Christ man, what a week.

Glad you made it out okay. Just in the nick of time, it seems.

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

This is a pretty trivial point considering the significance of what we're witnessing, but I find it interesting that the protesters are flying the flag of the old Libyan monarchy. I didn't realize ordinary Libyans still identified with it.

I think the people think of it as a pre-revolution (aka pre-Muammar) flag rather than necessarily associating it with the monarchy.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

It's the old "give a rambling speech and promise reforms even though it's way to late for that" that Mubarak pulled.

Hopefully it ends the same.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
This is pretty hilarious stuff. It's a lot easier to appreciate it if you think of it as performance art.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Tarnek posted:

With all the different people and organizations he blamed (foreign mercenaries, separatist tribes, islamists wanting to form emirates, thugs on drugs, young people from the internet, every other nation, al-jazeera etc.) it has to be the most complicated plot ever thought of.

Arabs absolutely love conspiracies.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

QuentinCompson posted:

And here are the Arabs, rising up and taking control of their own destinies in a beautiful example of human spirit and all you racist clowns can do is bleat like lobotomized sheep about HONOR and LOVE OF CONSPIRACIES.

Please don't conflate my post with subsequent ones spouting misguided views about honor and its place in Arab societies.

The current events make it pretty clear that the people aren't buying whatever foreign intervention conspiracies the dictators are trying to sell them. Maybe I should have included a smilie or something :sigh:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

It's a loving bloodbath, I hope they hang every loving piece of poo poo responsible for this from Gaddafi, his sons, and inner circle, all the way down to the mercenaries doing the killing.

Amen. This is disgusting.

I thought the army had mostly turned on the regime. Is that not the case? If it is, why aren't they fighting back? :(

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

MJB posted:

You're right. And as for The Colonel himself, even he's been inconsistent in spelling it when he's occasionally signed things in English.

Yeah, not only can transliteration be tricky, but it doesn't help that his name is pronounced several different ways in Arabic.

Patter Song posted:

"I went to talk to the young people in Green Square. I wanted to spend the night with them, but it started raining. I want you to know that I am in Tripoli, not in Venezuela. Do not believe the imperialist media."

-A soon-to-be-dead man

I think he actually referred to them as the "dog" media. :iceburn:

Anyone have a clue why those fighters went to Malta rather than Tunisia or Egypt?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Xandu posted:

Giant hi-res panorama of Cairo with Midan Tahrir way in the back. Just click the original size. Pretty cool looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefangeens/5466797340/sizes/l/

Thanks, that is awesome.

Anyone know where to find a larger version of this picture from the OP?

edit: Some other good pictures at that guy's Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefangeens/

quadratic fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 22, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
He's making Saif sound reasonable by comparison.

Poor AJE translator has sighed loudly about 3 times in the last few minutes.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I think he just tried to inspire the people with the John Allen Muhammad story :psyduck:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Petey posted:

I know we were all transfixed by that trainwreck but did anyone ever find a bigger version of this pic?

I found the source, but I haven't been able to find a full-resolution version of it.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Toplowtech posted:

That would work too. Isn't Ruby Moroccan?

She's Egyptian, but you keep your filthy hands off of her!

Shageletic posted:

Might want to turn on PBS for frontline's report on Egypt. Saw clips of it earlier and they had some spectacular shots of the revolution.

Definitely worth watching. The first segment follows the April 6 group which was instrumental in organizing the January 25th protests. The second part is about the Muslim Brotherhood. Lots of really good footage throughout.

You can watch the entire program at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/revolution-in-cairo/

edit: Forgot to mention that gas prices jumped about $0.10/gal around here this afternoon. The Costco near me hadn't raised their prices as of 7pm, so there were lines about three times as long as usual.

quadratic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 23, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

davebo posted:

Didn't someone say Obama was going to speak like an hour ago? Did that happen yet?

Looks like he's now scheduled to speak in about half an hour.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

#Libya map updated 24/2/11 morning; Nalut & Zwara now with the revolution; fighting in Azzawia
I don't suppose anyone can get this to load, it doesn't work on my PC, and I'd like it posted in the thread.

full-size

edit: changed to a link since GWH re-re-re-re-posted it

quadratic fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 24, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Narmi posted:

Anyone know what the different colours mean?

They indicate the 23 administrative districts of Libya.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Random amusing anecdote from Fisk:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-dark-humour-in-a-time-of-dictatorship-2219317.html posted:

It now emerges, thanks to a genuine old-fashioned scoop in Le Monde, that President Ben Ali didn't really intend to flee his country at all. He planned to fly his immediate family to safety in Riyadh and then return to Tunis next morning to continue his reign. Only when the Tunisair crew arrived in Saudi Arabia and saw al-Jazeera in the airport's VIP lounge, announcing Ben Ali's overthrow, did they call Tunis and receive a new flight plan to take off at 1.30am the following day. They discreetly flew away while the President slept, leaving the dictator planeless in Riyadh. Memo to all airline passengers: don't take your crew for granted. Especially if they've been watching al-Jazeera.

Xandu posted:

al-Jazeera Arabic is carrying a very large tribal meeting going on right now in east Libya. Kind of interesting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/aljazeerachannel

It's not clear what's happening, but lots of yelling.

I believe that's former justice minister Mustafa Abdel-Jalil speaking right now.

edit: Confirmed. Asked the international community to help the Libyan people.

quadratic fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 24, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Sivias posted:

Yusuf Islam is the biggest hippie, but I do enjoy his classics :)

Yeah, I was going to say he's not really vapid, he's just a hippie.

(Roadsinger is pretty good too.)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Dieting Hippo posted:

Any other sources on this? It's an Iranian site, which is why I'm a bit skeptical, but they they are reporting that Saif (Gaddafi's youngest son) has joined the protesters: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/166900.html

It should be noted that this was talking about his son Saif al-Arab, and not the one we've been seeing and hearing about, Saif al-Islam.

Still no idea if there's any truth to it though.

Ashmole posted:

That's the safest way. It's a "qaaf" not an Egyptian "jeem"...unless Libyans use the "g" sound for "qaaf".

Actually, there are several groups that may render the qaf sounding more like jeem or geem, including Egyptians from the صعيد (Upper Egypt), Libyans, and Gulf Arabs.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
AJE correspondent saying the scuffles were at Parliament, not Tahrir. Demonstrators were tased :ohdear:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ham posted:

The curfew isn't enforced and emergency law won't be lifted until they hand over power to a civilian government in a few months.

Ham, did you happen to see Heikal's interview last Saturday? I haven't, but I've been told he's claiming that Mubarak is running things behind the scenes from Sharm.

Article 83 of the Egyptian constitution states that "In case of resignation, the President shall address the letter of resignation to the People's Assembly." I realize this is all a bit very :tinfoil:, but did this actually happen? All we saw on TV was Omar Suleiman stating that Mubarak had turned over power.

edit: Just found this.

quadratic fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 26, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ham posted:

About yesterday's events: Egyptian Military is apologizing for an unintended use of force

This is good news.

It's a bit disturbing that Tantawi polled his officers on their willingness to shoot protesters, but is today the de facto ruler of Egypt. I hope that's not actually true.

The impression I've gotten about Shafik is that he did a decent job as the minister of civil aviation and is perhaps unfairly tainted by his association with Mubarak. Is that your impression as well?

Regardless, I share your hope regarding the military's intentions, and I sincerely hope the proposed constitutional amendments reflect a real effort towards democratic reform.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Maels posted:

Some arabic dialects pronounce "Q" as "Gh", namely Egyptian.

Only in Upper Egypt. That's definitely not the norm in the rest of the country.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

MothraAttack posted:

Any Arabic speakers that can translate this more thoroughly? Video purports to show chemical weapons cache seized by revolutionaries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm6XF7l5iiQ&feature=player_detailpage

I wonder how they concluded that they're chemical weapons. The canisters clearly say "B.A.E. EJECTION SEAT PRIMARY CARTRIDGE"

Xandu posted:

Not a terrible turnout in Lebanon today considering the rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR-NwNdA2BM

I'm not really sure where they're trying to go with this. All I've seen is a vague goal of ending sectarianism.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
This belongs here:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Radio! posted:

Is it a completely stupid idea to email the April 6 movement directly and ask if there's a way people can donate or something to help out? I know there was some talk of donations for Egypt awhile back, but I think that was going to be through the military and I don't remember hearing about it since.

It'd be nice to be able to help out, even a little.

Note: there might be information about this on their Arabic website, but I can't read Arabic and their English site is awful.

If you don't mind ending up on a government watchlist, you may want to consider donating to http://www.islamicreliefusa.org/egypt-crisis

They have a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator for whatever that's worth.

(They've got a Libya campaign as well http://www.islamicreliefusa.org/libya)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Radio! posted:

Thank you for looking this up. I probably won't end up donating to them at the moment since there seems to be a better option, but hopefully it will be useful for other people to know.

Their Arabic "about us" page says:

quote:

نعتمد على إشتراكات وتبرعات أعضاء الحركة كمصدر اساسى للتمويل، و نرفض التمويل المالى الخارجى

Which I'd translate as "We rely on memberships and donations from members of the movement as the main source of financing, and we reject foreign financing." (Their emphasis.)

Still, they may be able to direct you to other organizations...

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

This is great.

PS: Congrats on the modship!

quadratic fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 3, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

SauceNinja posted:

So I just want to be clear on this. They want help for this kind of thing but they don't want your help because you're a dirty foreigner? So you subvert their narrow mindedness by covertly giving to them. That's hilarious, not to mention, very big of you. I wish I could say I was as altruistic but I think I'd feel like I'd be promoting idiocy instead of helping hungry children.

What are you getting worked up about? That statement was from the website of a grassroots political organization. They don't want foreign funding because accepting it could open them up to accusations of foreign influence.

I have no idea how you decided they actually meant KEEP EGYPT FREE OF FILTHY FOREIGNER MONEYS :argh:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

SauceNinja posted:

Who would send him 740,000 pounds of sedatives?

Welcome to the Internet.

Xandu posted:

Another amazing parody

:golfclap:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Stay classy, Moobs.

This needs a deal with it gif.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Jack Napier posted:

Twitter saying Egyptians have sex tapes and poo poo flooding out of the Secret Service building.

Hashtag #amndawla

http://twitter.com/ShadyMokh
http://twitter.com/MahyAshmawy

Wow.

Also http://twitter.com/MahyAshmawy/status/44128705139843072 is claiming that Mubarak is in Cairo along with his wife and sons.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Jack Napier posted:

Can you translate some of the stuff I posted after the edit?

Sorry, I'm about to head out and run some errands, but at a quick glance it looks like the first document is some sort of memo about a purchase of airplanes and vehicles. The second one looks like it's regarding the purchase of a metric fuckton of hollow-point ammunition.

Here's a video of a torture device they've retrieved, with a guy describing how it was used on him. In Arabic, but you'll get the gist of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgvIhO1CI8w

Also http://www.amndawlaleaks.tk

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Brown Moses posted:

Youtube video of people wandering around the former home office of the ex Interior Minister.

:monocle:

edit: I got goosebumps watching that. The fact that they were just told to leave by the soldiers rather than taken away, never to be heard from again is a testament to how much things have changed.

quadratic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 6, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
#amndawla is full of reports of violence between protesters and thugs at the state security headquarters. Some are saying the army joined in attacking the people, but others say they were just shooting in the air to disperse the crowd. At least some of the protesters have regrouped at Tahrir.

Pictures from the state security building at 6th of October City earlier in the day.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Patter Song posted:

Worth pointing out that the Lebanese division of seats for their parliament (which assigns each group a certain number of seats) is based on the 1932 census, and there's a general consensus among the elites of Lebanon to never hold another census out of fear that it would drastically alter Lebanon's shaky ethnic power balance. For example, Maronite Christians were ~40% of Lebanese in the 1930s and ~25% today, and a redistribution changing their proportional representation from one figure to the other would infuriate them.

Yeah, a census today would upset the apple cart in a major way. Christians sects would lose big, while Sunnis would gain a little and Shias would gain a lot. Considering the chokehold Hezbollah already has on the Lebanese government, I don't think that would be an ideal situation for anyone other than Hezbollah.

I'm slightly optimistic about the selection of Mikati as PM. He seems like a pretty decent guy that is genuinely willing to work with all parties. If Hariri and the March 14 folks stop pouting, they might actually be able to get some things done.

Until the STL indictments are unsealed, at least. At that point, all bets are off.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ham posted:

Right now it looks like the elections will be a battle between him and Amr Moussa who's already announced he also intends to run.

What happened to the whole Amr Moussa fake presidential council thing you were talking about earlier? I'd think that would kill his bid before it even gets started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ham posted:

EDIT: He also criticized some of the new constitutional amendments, which demands that a presidential candidate be of "pure Egyptian birth" and not to hold dual-citizenship or be married to a foreigner or a woman with dual-citizenship, even if he drops said citizenship. He said the focus on "pure Egyptian birth" reminded him of Hitler. He also said he'd vote No on the vote for the amendments taking place March 19th.

While I agree with his objections, (quadratic 2015 :smug:) wouldn't it be better to get these amendments in and then decide later whether to amend it further or start anew? The current constitution is unworkable as it stands.

Lareous posted:

This is fantastic.

Al-Saqr posted:

“ Protestors are apostates” – The religious establishment.

The same religious establishment that justifies the monarchy? :allears:

• Locked thread