Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The UN is limited due to the fact that countries like The United States, China and Russia have veto powers over any actions. That's right, The United States, Russia and China, absolute dictatorial autocracies (sorta excepting the US for the time being) can veto any proposal for the United Nations to intervene in a countries disputes.

What a poo poo system.

I fixed it for you because you forgot the main offender of veto abuse

euphronius posted:

Well even if they weren't themselves bad governments, it is against the UN Charter to interfere in the way people seem to be talking about.

That too, the security council is more about scolding people and declaring nonbinding resolutions, not creating international police actions.
It's a diplomacy council, not a war room, and that flies over America's collective head pretty often.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sivias posted:

What sort of relation does the US state department have with the Bahrainian Govt. and can/will that have any influence with our relationship with Saudi Arabia visa vi the previous question concerning their government's relation to Bahrain.

My guess is, "Well, we really need that Saudi oil soooooooooooo... It's cool, we'll just have Hillary give a speech where she mildly condemns you for wantonly murdering your own citizens. That's OK, right?"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sivias posted:

@MrQwerty

Sorry for being obtuse, does this mean that the Saudi and Bahrain governments have close ties? (Apart from requiring it for geographical location)

Does the establishment of the Bahranian government have a direct influence on the export of Saudi Oil?

The Saudis have threatened to actively involve themselves in Bahrain. The leaders of the Gulf States are all close allies/relatives of the House of Saud, and have an agreement through the GCC that nobody is allowed to advance liberalization of their governments independently of the rest and etc.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BCR posted:

Generalizations ahoy! I don't think this is a 100% it, but something like 75% of the situation.

The Arabs has a huge youth population bubble that's unemployed

The Arab's highest political unit is the tribe.

I think that you're going to get continuing higher levels of unrest for a couple of decades until this bulge gets into their 30s.

Strongman of the tribe gets control of the seat of government and the tax money, showers it into his faction/tribe until the money runs out/fails to give the tribe enough money, etc and is replaced by another strongman.

I see it as fighting over a desk job with aircon in the Ministry of Something, rather than raging for democracy now.

I can't see them developing jobs any other way. Corruption, lack of responsibility (the jews made me strip the copper from the traffic lights), lack of imagination (able to adapt western technology but not create any), with gently caress you got mine tribalism on top. They have some big cultural road blocks.

I did not know that Arabs all live in the pre-Middle Ages!
FYI that is a pretty terrible analysis in every way, this isn't tribalism, antisemitism and some magical inability to think as good as westerners whipped into a fever pitch

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 19, 2011

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Young Freud posted:

What exactly would Bahrain do if we sided with the protesters? Kick us out?

Possibly, and then the Saudis would go completely loving ape poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Anatolia isn't the Middle East

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, they are thinking this through. I guess you don't become leader of even a little monarchy like Bahrain without at least SOME smarts.

Well plus the Gulf states all have THE Middle Eastern brutal theocratic monarchy backing them up in the end.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Shageletic posted:

What's really interesting is what's going in Kuwait with the bedouin protesting for citzenship. For Kuwait, the UAE, and for some part, Saudi Arabia, who becomes a citizen is a huge freaking deal. On one side, people are given health care, free housing and education, and a lot of times jobs, the other total poo poo all. In UAE, the emirati (UAE nationals) make up something like 10% of the population and sit on top of the heap, while the rest, immigrants sometimes there for three or more generations, can be deported at any time. If the protests spread there....

Oh I'm well aware of that situation. Ever since Mubarak's regime fell I've been wondering what is going to happen if the slave class of the west side of the Persian Gulf gets emboldened.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Apology posted:

Video already removed, so if you could summarize what you saw please? What country, what the content of the video was, please?

Libyans reduced to piles of mush with faces by AA rounds
I have a strong stomach for that kinda poo poo, but I don't ever want to see that video again

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Billy the Mountain posted:

gently caress you it would save lives. I don't give a gently caress if the protesters who happen to live through this inhumane massacre feel emasculated or put out that they needed someone else to come in and stop the wholesale slaughter of thousands of their country men women and children. The idea that political considerations should be taken into account when a vast mass murder is taking place is an abhorrent thought and the greatest example of cowardice I can think of.

Good thing we didn't help the 6 million Jews during the holocaust. They might have had their feelings hurt. gently caress You.

Intervening in this ends any chance of the middle eastern revolutions staying viable, confirms everything every dictator has said about foreign influence being the real cause of the demonstrations, engenders even worse crackdowns in the surviving dictatorships, mires the United States in another Imperialist adventure and overall is the wrong thing to do.

It loving sucks that people are getting killed. I'd love to see my country intervene in something just for once. The West can't play that card because of hundreds of years of meddling, though. It is, honestly, better to let the opposition fight for their freedom and win than intervene on the grounds we get another client state.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Billy the Mountain posted:

As a human being I find it horrific that we (and MANY other countries) have the power to stop the killing of civilians within 48 hours give or take, but won't, because of politics. If you disagree with me, fine. It's just how I feel.

Yeah, it is loving horrific. It's also entirely 100% our fault.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Waco? Seriously? You're going to talk about Waco WHAT THE gently caress IS HE EVEN SAYING I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY SEMBLANCE OF COHERENCY IN 20 MINUTES AND ITS MAKING ME FEEL INSANE

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cjones posted:

The USA PATRIOT Act is biblically mandated and if you don't believe that then you can go to hell.

In the years before the USAPATRIOT Act, back in prehistory, America was under attack from violent Arab Muslims daily. We lost a billion people before the USAPATRIOT Act was passed, and saved the world from certain destruction at the hands of the browns.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Xandu posted:

I support recognizing the interim government, but providing arms just seems like such a terrible idea.

You're talking like that strategy is ineffective and has backfired on the USA before, what crazy world are YOU living in mister!?!?!?!!? :colbert:

Sivias posted:

The only thing America and the world should be arming these citizens with are Books and Pencils. And of course medical assistance, but that's a given.

Look at the assholes who said this, though. McCain's senility is questionable, but I can't help but get the feeling that Lieberman has ulterior motives that involve the I word.
Basically what I'm saying is that anything Lieberman says about Arabs should be taken as an attempt to undermine and discredit them for his bffs.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 27, 2011

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

More from David Cameron:

quote:

David Cameron suggests he will act like a stupid loving rear end in a top hat
You can follow the live debate here

God drat it I hate white people

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe they can sell them some shoulder launched surface to air missiles, that's never backfired in the past.

Maybe what we can do is go in with, say, the CIA and MI6 to keep costs down, right? Then we provide small arms in the forms of guns and rockets and poo poo, right? Then our agents from the CIA and MI6 organize the Libyan opposition into cells and teach them how to become a sustainable fighting force... teach them how to run training camps, teach them how to become professional asymmetrical soldiers, etc.

Then, once they win, we cut off support for them if they aren't 100% sympathetic to our needs and install oil execs as the government. Good plan?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

Can we somehow work in that the guns given to the rebels are paid for with drug money? That worked well the last time.

Well gently caress, seen Mexico? That's a given.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

I don't know about France or everywhere, but I'm pretty sure in America it's illegal to shoot someone unless they're about to kill you, or in this example, had successfully stolen the weapons, armed them, and were pointing them at you.

If you tried to go near a weapons store on an American military base as a civilian who wasn't authorized to be on base, tens of people would shoot you dead before you even got close.

edit: for example, in Albuquerque, if you drive too far on Gibson and get to the Kirtland gate and your car isn't registered, you will be either detained or turned away at gunpoint by people who are not loving around.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 2, 2011

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Thanks for the massive moral boosts and discarded weapons, Gaddafi!

Col. Gaddafi is honourably sacrificing himself and his forces to the People of Libya, who are him, so they may live.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Freigeist posted:

I have some doubts that those were his elite forces.

He lost 7,900 troops in a ten year period from 1977-1987
7,500 of them were to desolate and war torn North Chad in one year

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sivias posted:

They took 4 armored cars? How does this happen?

Armor isn't invincible. Armor requires range to be effective - if you get overrun, you're just a bunch of guys in a bathtub. Exploding a few molotovs on them would make the interior start heating up, overheating the engine, etc. There are many ways for civilians to combat armor.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

what would this mean for Saudi Arabia?

what has Obama said about Saudi Arabia and Bahrain? since we're already "proven" through Iraq/Afghanistan that we're aggressively promoting democracy. Is the White House gonna jam its finger into its ears and yell LA LA LA LA?

The US Government didn't criticize them when their nationals flew a couple planes into buildings in New York, we sure as gently caress aren't going to criticize them over brutalizing their own people/people of the GCC. That's dangerous for the bottom line.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Will Rice posted:

Just because the US says the drone was in international airspace doesn't mean it is true.

Nobody remembers that spy plane that collided with a loving Chinese fighter jet that was TOTALLY over international airspace despite the fact it crashed and landed in Chinese airspace and its crew was held hostage by the Chinese government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

That's basically what it is. If this actually happened there's a question of whether they got it from Iraq or if it was made in-house

Even worse than weaponized LSD, it's weaponized Benadryl/Datura plant. Which is way, way worse than weaponized LSD.

• Locked thread