Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Holy poo poo. That's just straight up murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
They're just...reacting. It's what people do. Picture guy may have been a reporter and their job is to report not to triage.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

randombattle posted:

A picture will do infinitely more good for the people not shot in the head.

Putting your hand on a bullet wound to the head isn't going to do much for the guy but at least the pictures and videos will be proof of what is going on to everyone else. The greater good and all that.

That's what I was trying to say but didn't convey it very well.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

Press conference on AJE from State TV.

Haha, did they just borrow the last dictators script and use a thesaurus?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ohh wait...egypt burned? Ohh my when did this happen?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
It's really crazy to see how they worked people before technology made what they are saying so absurd. I can see how in the past when they controlled the information they could convince the middle that the protesters are causing them all of their woes.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ That's what I was laughing at. These old fools have no loving clue what twitter is and are surrounded by yes men who tell them everything they are doing is perfect.

farraday posted:

Looking from Tripoli toward the east you see lots of smoke and fire across the Gulf of Sidra, obviously it must be from Egypt.

I shouldn't be laughing. :(

AJE needs to rename itself Calling Bullshit Network.

I'm surprised they haven't been the target of a "terrorist" attack.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
E; nm derail food

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

The Brown Menace posted:

Still in basements throughout the US and Europe?

I hope they stay there on this one. This isn't really their "thing".

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

:nms: :nws:

:nms: :nws:

That's why I get annoyed when people abuse the word hero. If true, those are true heroes, in any language or country.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I can't wait for the new constitution written by this lunatic.

(if he makes it that long)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Earwicker posted:

Partly this and I think technology also plays a role. Not that I think any of this stuff is a "Facebook revolution" the way some in the media have called it, but for most of recent history the only mass media in these countries was state controlled media, so people had much less ability to communicate and more importantly much less awareness of what was going on in other countries.

The internet - and more specifically, mobile access to it - has largely taken away the state's monopoly on communication, and that has helped these things dramatically (it's also why we are less likely to see this sort of thing happen in a place like North Korea where the state still has that monopoly).

Makes me proud to be one of the people installing VSATs in peoples back yards in africa to side step the absurd telco monopolies and their 56kbps shared for the country.

It's not facebook or whatever else it is the simple ability to communicate with a reasonable voice and get information cheaply and freely. China has foreseen this problem and done a lot better job at (attempting to) stall the inevitable.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Shageletic posted:

What's interesting is showing how little slack there is in the market. I think Libya provides something like 2% to oil imported from abroad (in the US). But a little hint of trouble there, and boom, prices rise 30 cent. That just isn't sustainable.

It has more to do with speculation than anything else really. Basically the price goes up because people think other people will think the price will go up and buy some making the price go up.

There's a really good image to display this phenomenon but I can't find it atm.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
What is that?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ohh I thought it looked familiar.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Keep in mind the whole Rwanda thing went on with little to no UN involvement.

The UN is just a political body, nothing more.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

DevNull posted:

If you want to really depress yourself watch Shake Hands with the Devil: The Journey of Roméo Dallaire to learn more about this. It eventually drove Roméo Dallaire into depression and alcoholism, as he was stuck watching it happen and couldn't get help from the rest of the UN.

Thanks I'll have to check that out (and share it).

One thing I would love to see is some countries pull up a few nimitz size aircraft carriers and battleships outside of tripoli...ya know... to observe and ensure the regional stability ;) ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

euphronius posted:

Only one country has Nimitz size carriers.

Unless Britain got some since I last read anything.

Well they can just weld a few of theirs together ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

DevNull posted:

I want to see this resolved with as little outside interference as possible. Outside interference is what put a lot of these countries in the position they are currently in. However, I did see this on twitter...

I agree 100% I was mostly just *wishing* we could do something like that. Basically saying "you start mowing down civilians the gloves are coming off quickly".

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

euphronius posted:

You could understand why the US would be hesitant to support such a precedent.

Ouch :(

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

From the Guardian

I guess it isn't an election year in the UK. That's awesome.

I really wish our government would do something to show they come down on the side of the people in this scenario.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

Bit of an update on the drugs:

If all the protesters were on Tramadol they'd all be at home drooling and watching State TV, not on the streets.

His whole drug thing is hilarious. It's like he has some advisers that said:

"Hey, ya know, in america they blame drugs for all problems big and small and it works pretty well there, let's try that!"

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
So Mubarak stuck around and held things together just long enough for the incriminating evidence to be destroyed?

That makes a lot of sense.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Obama should announce he is thinking about releasing 1/2 of the reserve on friday.

70$ oil overnight!

...or he could be a non-sack-o-poo poo and work a bit harder in finding peaceful resolutions in the region which will save countless lives and money.

...or just make limp dick passive non-statements and hope it all goes away.

VVVVV-It's a tad insensitive to say how marginally higher gas prices are going to "kill" people in a thread discussing people who are literally dying for their freedom.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I was just saying that we can keep it apropos to this situation by saying if he helped one situation the other would get better (in the short term).

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

Smells fishy.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jack Napier posted:

'm sorry but Gmail is SSL secured, how exactly do they obtain transcripts of something like that? Is the content unsecured when you send it, did they get it from an unsecured source destination, or did Gmail give them access?

gmail hasn't always been ssl only.

And yes, if you have access to someones internet connection there's a very good chance you'll get their log in information because they use the same for everything.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Pajser posted:

Is it out of the realm of possibility, that someone could kamikaze this human being?

I highly doubt he is out sunbathing.

He's probably 20 feet deep in a reinforced bunker 24/7.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I hope this is enough on its own to tell him to GTFO without starting an all out war.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Nonsense posted:

Na, this is going to get extremely messy, and awful, but the rebels have a shot. Civilians are cheering right now, but they really do need to seek cover very soon.

I can hope.

Maybe self preservation will kick in an override the narcissism. Of course he definitely is the type to take the scorched earth approach to resignation. :(

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

farraday posted:

That seems like an unlikely trio. One of these things is not like the others.

All things considered that one probably has the moral high ground. :(

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Cartouche posted:

Pretty much. And what are we prepared to do in response?

Let me shake the Obama administration 8 ball....

"Strongly Condemn"

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Nenonen posted:

People should stop treating anonymous Twitter feeds as sources for facts. To me they're just as credible as Libyan government sources. It's impossible to tell what is correct and what is rumour, hyperbole or intentional propaganda.

Ok, what should we treat as a source of "fact", Nenonen? Hurry up, we're making life and death choices here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

dj_clawson posted:

Am I the only one with the "shoot Gaddaffi in the drat head" strategy? I know, I know, we're not supposed to assassinate heads of state, it's not in the rules.....

No, you and all of "Toby Keith" America feel that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
A url to an image without the "http://"?

An IIS error page?.

(Who are you talking to?)

• Locked thread