Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Toadofsky posted:

Is the goal with these protests specifically democracy or do they just want change in general?

If only there was a really comprehensive and informative OP that covered this.

Stop posting in these threads if all you're going to do is ask things you could answer yourself with minimal effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

JesusSinfulHands posted:

poo poo is getting real folks. I thought Gaddafi was going to be the Nicolae Ceausescu of the Middle East, but it looks like we overestimated his hold over Libya:

http://twitter.com/#!/TrellaLB/status/39646366561087488

He's not quoting the BBC. He's quoting someone claiming to be quoting the BBC. Considering he posted this an hour ago and the BBC updated their lead Libya article five minutes ago and didn't mention this significant development I'm guessing this hasn't happened.

Which is a drat shame. It's heart-wrenching and sickening how many people have died/are going to die there because of that delusional megalomaniac and the power structure that surounds him.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 21, 2011

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dudebro posted:

Wow, never thought tweets would be so tough to read. That is chilling.

Yeah. I'm really hoping most of it is rumor and hyperbole as people retweet and reinterperate stuff but it really doesn't look like this is the case :( Absolutely horrible.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Cjones posted:

And no American media channels are covering this...

Whenever someone posts something like this I scan their news websites (fox, msnbc and cnn anyway) and it's always been the lead item. It is now, Libya is all over their news sites.

Is TV coverage that different to their website or are you just assuming they're not covering it? That's a legit question I'm in the UK so don't know. It just seems weird that they'd give this a lot of coverage online but not on TV. Something to do with interests of their repective audience?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mnoba posted:

I think they mean on TV, none of the US networks are mentioning it.

Yeah, I realise they were talking about TV. I just find it really strange that they cover it online, but don't even mention it on TV. Don't they have any world news? Probably a topic for another thread and best not to derail anymore.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Puppy Bowl oozed cuteness, raises awareness!

Sorry about the media derail, that was mostly my fault and probably best kept for another time or thread. A bit of a "first world problem" compared to being bombed by your own military for a peaceful process :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Cjones posted:

Libyan ambassador tells the UN that Qaddafi is committing genocide.

drat. I was thinking earlier that as far as insane, megalomaniac dictators go Gaddafi flies under the radar somewhat, and even manages to get away with that whole harmless eccentric thing, because unlike some of his peers he hasn't commited genocide.

This is so hosed up.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

EskimoFreeState posted:

Is it odd that this seems especially atrocious? Sabotaging a blood bank? Like you've actually said openly "I do not care if you, or anyone in this building, lives or dies, but I don't have the balls to go door-to-door and slaughter you." Though at this point, I don't know why they wouldn't. Qualms seem to be in short supply in the region.

When Brown Moses posts all those Twitter feeds in a row (and thanks for keeping the information flowing) it almost starts to read like some kind of macabre version of Chuck Norris meme style oneupmanship for how horrible things can be.

It really sounds like hell on earth at this point.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ChaosSamusX posted:

Wait, destroying blood? I can't conceive of any reason why someone would stoop to that level of depravity. This is the kind of thing that would appall some of the worst war criminals in history. Who's doing it? The mercenaries?

Wait, we're talking about people who are being accused of indiscriminately raping and murdering and as far as depravity goes destroying blood is "stooping"? I mean it's certainly pretty hosed up, but as far as appalling war crimes go I'll take it over executing civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
He's actually not insane and it's all just a big distraction to keep the world's eyes on him while.... well some kind of evil James Bond villain scheme I guess. Maybe deploying a giant plane crushing fist.

Either way, we're all falling for it.

• Locked thread