Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

Good Citizen posted:

Coming from Southern California, I'm seeing a pretty even breakdown between people who weren't aware, people who support the movements, and people who think angry muslims are rioting to install a theocracy under Sharia law(also, something about Caliphates).

Same here. I can't help but wonder how much the accurate awareness would decrease if this area didn't have as many people living here who are connected to the Middle Eastern diaspora, though.

Most people I'm connected to here at least know someone who knows someone who's intimately impacted by the protests and their direct implications. In my podunk hometown, it's almost strictly blissful ignorance or :foxnews:ish apoplexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Apology posted:

Bahrain's special envoy to the US thinks it's perfectly all right to slaughter people as long as it's in the interests of the ruling class:

[...]

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/proportional

Jesus Christ. A guy calmly lying like that in the face of clear video evidence is as chilling in its own way as the massacres have been themselves. Jedi mind tricks don't work in real life, homey.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

JesusSinfulHands posted:

edit: gently caress beaten, shoulda read the rest of the thread

No worries. You gave me a chance to post a link to the 60 Minutes report on it that aired tonight. :)

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

The Brown Menace posted:

Ok, taking bets now.

$5 says he left for Venezuela.

I hope he has, if only for the hilarious public appearances he and Chavez might make together. If they would call it The Real Autocrats of Caracas they could make it a series.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

BonoMan posted:

If I'm correct (and I might not be), but a lot of arabic pronunciations are strictly phonetical interpretations since the alphabets don't exactly transcribe to each other. Thus lots of arabic words have alternate spellings in other languages. Al Queda Al Queda/Al Qaeda...Osama/Usama.

You're right. And as for The Colonel himself, even he's been inconsistent in spelling it when he's occasionally signed things in English.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Shandy posted:

[Image of what anti-aircraft ammo can do to an rear end in a top hat]

Simply BRUTAL. :(

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Cjones posted:

Little kid martyred in Benghazi by sniper :smith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj3dtz1-EF0&feature=related&skipcontrinter=1

Christ. How the hell can a person carefully aim a rifle at a kid's head and take a shot? That would give most people pause even if it was war and the kid was armed with intent.

This poo poo in Libya is depressing beyond belief.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Sivias posted:

In all likeliness, 'sniper' is probably a stray round, or in-discriminant fire. Which doesn't make the event any less traumatic, but I doubt there are bell tower guys taking calm careful shots at individuals in a gigantic crowd.

Banano posted:

More likely a Chadian merc shooting from the hip.

As grotesque as it feels for me to say, I certainly hope so. The alternative is even worse to think about.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

I think you guys are vastly overestimating the moral trappings of a group of people (African mercs) who have helped thrust terms like "child soldier" into common use.

It's less about them and more about me, as far as how I feel about it goes. I'm aware of that dynamic, but the mental exercise of imagining something along the lines of Sam Beckett'ing my way into those shoes and committing the same atrocities fries my circuits. You'll have to pardon my first-world horror.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Sivias posted:

Tear off all his toenails, cut his flesh and force him to bathe in a tub of hydrogen peroxide till his skin sloughs off. Then dry and salt him like jerky. What other horrible tortures can we imagine for the worst of our planet?

00:00 to 00:54.

Edit: But then again, he's probably ordered a few of these in his day. He'd see them coming.

MJB fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 22, 2011

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

All that's missing here is Mean Gene Okerlund nervously standing off to one side and Jimmy Hart cheerleading behind him on the other.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's nice to see Benghazi is happy as hell right now, like Egypt was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP0Gro52c8

I think my favorite part of this aside from the obvious mass joy was the jheri curl wig on the Gaddafi effigy.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Narmi posted:

As the tense political stalemate continues in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, residents fled the Abobo neighborhood, an opposition stronghold.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

Fiend posted:

Makes you wonder if the gunman gave him an ironic "FUGETABOUTIT" immediately after offing him.

Or if there are any gossip rags specific to cities in Middle America also trying to humanize the executioner with characteristics closer to their readership. Like the Nebraska Possum Hump Examiner with a tagline "GUNMAN WAS A FAN OF CORN AND INBREEDING" or something.

For the part of LA that only processes its news through a single filter: "EXEC PUTS GHADDAFI BIO INTO TURNAROUND".

• Locked thread