Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

They're just...reacting. It's what people do. Picture guy may have been a reporter and their job is to report not to triage.

Getting evidence of such things is very important. If they didn't take pictures or film it there would never be accurate reports of what the gently caress is going on.

As is, I really think a few of these countries will only find a change in government via armed revolution. Unfortunate that we have a limp wristed President who wouldn't consider having the CIA start dead dropping small arms and anti-tank weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Back when cellphone cameras appeared on the scene, the very first application I thought of for them was recording atrocities committed by governments against average people. I was not let down, these videos are damning as hell.

One of the very first major use of cameras were for taking pictures of massive amounts of the dead on American Civil War battlefields. Congratulations coming up with this stunning revelation 140 years later that cameras would be used for taking pictures of dead people!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

Bin Laden must be sitting in a cave somewhere in Pakistan, watching TV and going all "...what?"

More like he is rubbing his hands in delight. Iran could have turned out to be a pretty nice Democratic country if the rear end in a top hat religious extremist didn't derail the revolution and that the country over for themselves.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Buy shitloads of gas and put it into containers because if Saudi Arabia goes up in smoke for some time expect a large spike in prices.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

For a "street war" the causalities seem remarkably one sided, especially since most of the pictures seem to be guys hoarding rocks (non-explosive handheld projectile devices?).

Personally, I don't think firing into crowds like they are doing is really that different than lining them up, the end result is slaughter.

Most times a new government get established it leads to bloodshed. Egypt's revolution was rather uncharacteristic for such a thing and really should be commended but we're seeing the flaws of such a course come out right now. Machavelli outright tells you that any time you forcefully take power you should purge any and all threats to your power during the strife of asserting power so that you appear to the masses as the benevolent prince rather than a consistent tyrant who is continuously ripping up threats by the roots.

Expect blood. Lots of it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I think that Wolfowitz probably had some clue, and the whole idea of "The Surge" was to set up competing sectarian death squads, but a lot of the top guys just had no idea. Now there's the possibility that Iran and Al-Qaeda could kill each other off that a lot of people are hoping for, but we'll see.

Iran isn't the problem at whole. Of all the countries in the middle east they're the most educated and liberal. It's the ruling Clerics and Khomeini that are the cause of the strife over there.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Found this charming post while looking at updates about the bombing:

This is rather interesting. Do people in the Middle East actually call it Constantinople still?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there some sort of Youtube video or something from a news site that has a detailed look into the entire conflict in the Middle East? I tentatively know what is going on but I'm fairly positive I'm missed a lot of detail in this fuckery stretching from 2003-2016.

I'd really prefer a video so I can have it running while I do something else.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

Now back to watching Jill Stein and Donald Trump help out Putin and Hezbollah. I swear, Putin's gotta be laughing his rear end off watching Donald Trump help the Kremlin on both the domestic front and multiple foreign fronts. The Middle East already has way too many people who think the US is supporting ISIL, and this isn't helping any.

The US did nurture the seed that became ISIS. This is well documented, hell there are pictures of McCain hanging out with Al-Baghdadi. US policy in the Middle East since 2003 has been a continuous cavalcade of tampering in poo poo with no idea how it will work. Too myopic on creating a weapon against Assad that they didn't bother to think the weapon would have it's own agenda.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Say that Ahmadinejad does somehow get elected again and Khamenei kicks the bucket is there any indications on who will try replacing him? Does Ahmadinejad actually have enough popularity with the military that he could shift the countries government in any direction to a significant degree?

I mean this is the Middle East and I fully expect the rural fuckwits to start dashing themselves against the Urban residents and the military to splinter in half sparking a decade-long civil war. Please tell me that this is not the case and they have a reasonable succession plan in mind for when Khamenei kicks the bucket and there are no people left from the Revolution around to replace him.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

Russia meanwhile is...way over there, helping an ally in a war against ISIS and al-Qaeda. Ya know, those guys who did that 9/11 thing.(Although I would guess most of the people who were in charge of AQ then are dead? Besides Osama I mean) So, to me, it's like Russia should be our natural ally. It was Putin who was first to call Bush and offer support after 9/11.

People have forgotten about Russia because it went to poo poo for the 90s and recovered in the early-mid 2000s. They couldn't project power. Now suddenly an entire generation of US bureaucrats are waking up to the fact that they are unable to act with impunity and there is a power not aligned to us that is quite willing to frustrate and fill any vacuum the US creates. Someone mentioned that Kerry keeps ending up looking like a fool because he has no cards to play as the US is too war weary. This is a correct deduction; normally this would have been fine since Russia wasn't an active player for so long that US could bluff incessantly. NATO continues to push eastward in an attempt to surround Russia. (Georgia was being considered for NATO membership and the Ukraine was attempting to align with Western Europe.) Plus the fuckery NATO got up to during the Yugoslav breakup. Russia views the Balkans a region naturally aligned towards them and this goes back to the root causes of World War 1.

NATO has proven to be an untrustworthy party to negotiate with for Russia so it's not surprising that Putin is taking every opportunity to make them look like fools. If you want to get real :tinfoil: you could believe the Democrats and believe that Putin is attempting to sway the elections to what he believes will favor him. The gambit is that Trump would be friendly to Russia or an unsupported outsider akin to Carter who will get nothing done and allow Russia to run around unchecked for four years. :capitalism:

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 5, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Czer posted:

None of you have made an actual moral case, you just demonize everyone else for self interest.

That is just left-wing thought these days. It's like a pendulum. We got a bunch of stupid Right-wing poo poo during the Bush years and now we've swung the other way. Everyone is identifying themselves in increasingly smaller groups and cannibalizing everyone that doesn't follow their viewpoint. But we're kinda getting lost in the reeds for the past few pages.

Can someone tell me what the relationship the Kurds have with the liberated cities? Kobane and Manbij for example. I read that they tenured control over to the MMC for Manbij after the Turks threw a shitfit. Are all these cities self-governing or do they get support from the SDF?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Czer posted:

UN reports half of all fighters in Aleppo are Al Nusra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx3XbFYqOoo&t=1663s

How many of those actually ideologically align with the goals of Al-Nusra and how many just work with them because they provide weapons? If Evil Canadians came down from the North to steal our Freedom I'd gladly accept weapons from Bin Laden or whoever is the big bad guy of the era happens to be. It wouldn't make me a hardline Al'Qaeda member.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 6, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

woke wedding drone posted:

OK spell this out for us, what do you think is happening in this video? Don't be vague. Was it shot on a set?

There is a lot of crisis acting in that region in attempts to drum up support from foreign entites. Pallywood videos are the most notable example of such; if you haven't seen them go check it out on Youtube. However I think the poo poo going down in Aleppo is dramatic enough that anyone with a Gopro can find some rather wrenching video, this guy probably realized he was on camera and realized showing off his pearly whites wasn't suitable so he opted for the "I'm gravely injured look" which is jarring since we catch him switching to the injured look.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 24, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

suboptimal posted:

-A question no one thought to take seriously during a previous politically-minded purge some 13 years ago.

Are there travel bans slapped on the sacked civil servants/academics? If not, Erdogan may have just guaranteed an incredible amount of brain drain; if so, he's probably guaranteed some serious unrest down the line.

That was done by Paul Bremer against the advice of almost everyone with a clue. Bremer probably did more to gently caress the region than any singular person. The guy was so loving stupid that he was pushing towards cutting off subsidized food. The military had to intervene and basically say "No you absolute loving moron we are NOT going to be dealing with food riots."

Frontline did an excellent documentary on the entire thing. Everyone around this guy was telling him solid advice and he would do the opposite thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

gently caress, I really don't know what Trump is going to do if Egypt/Tunisia actually start to fall apart.

Uh he'd probably follow advice to just ignore Tunisia and to only secure the Suez Canal and just let the region burn itself out. The US is loving spent as a force for propping up failing countries for the foreseeable future. The Suez Canal is the only thing interesting in Egypt from a strategic point of view.

• Locked thread