Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Brown Moses posted:

I put together an interview with one of the people who runs the Youtube channel Syrian Scenes - Interview with Michael Nahum of Syrian Scenes.

quote:

During the Syria crisis a number of groups have started to projects to subtitle In English videos coming out from Syria to help English speaking audiences understand events in Syria.
:raise:

I assume that should be something like "During this crisis, several groups have begun to subtitle videos coming out of Syria to help English speaking viewers understand the events occurring there."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Brown Moses posted:

If the reported deaths are true that would be:
The Minister of Interior
The Minister of Defence
Deputy Minister of Defence (and Assad's brother in law)
The Head of the National Security Council

One would be major, all four is crazy.

Reuters headline now says

quote:

BREAKING NEWS: Syrian state TV says interior minister is alive, in "stable condition", after Arab TV stations reported his death

Edit: Sorry, beaten

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nenonen posted:

So... this only applies to Egyptians, and even then only to Muslims. How does it work? Is their religion written on their ID or..?

At least in Dubai, the laws effectively mean all nightclubs enforce a "no traditional dress" rule, and same for stores and supermarkets as far as selling alcohol. The owner is the only one who would be punished for selling to a Muslim, so these rules give them plausible deniability: "Hey, dude just looked like a random foreigner, how could I tell? :shrug:"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Brown Moses posted:

He certainly goes through periods of being very clear, and then periods of stuff like this:

Wow, have there been many published schizophrenics? This almost reads like an excerpt from a really interesting science fiction novel.

I mean, I'm not trying to make light of the situation. What he did in Libya and wants to do in Syria is horribly misguided and dangerous to those around him, at best. Something about this kind of writing is just fascinating to me.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It's really surprising that so many of you either believe or give credence to this. It's absolute bullshit. Seriously. It's impressive that the useless American press of the early 2000s has managed to firmly imprint this in the minds of an American generation, but for everyone saying "Oh he just transferred his weapons" or "yeah well he gassed the Kurds so I'm not inclined to giving him the benefit of the doubt" - you're talking a load of bollocks. You don't need to have trusted Saddam on this. Iraq underwent the most comprehensive weapons inspections regimen undertaken by the UN (and no, they were never thrown out by Iraq) which had unequalled access to Iraqi sites (and which were from time to time used to scout locations for US attacks) pre-1998. The Iraqis weren't always as cooperative as they could have been, but as a result, per Ritter:

"When you ask the question, 'Does Iraq possess militarily viable biological or chemical weapons?' the answer is no! It is a resounding NO. Can Iraq produce today chemical weapons on a meaningful scale? No! Can Iraq produce biological weapons on a meaningful scale? No! Ballistic missiles? No! It is 'no' across the board. So from a qualitative standpoint, Iraq has been disarmed. Iraq today possesses no meaningful weapons of mass destruction capability."

In 2002/2003 nobody with half a mind believe that Iraq had the capability to continue a chemical weapons programme, much less launch offensive strikes. This belief was clearly more widespread in Europe where there was quite popular activity against the sanctions regime which claimed so many excess civilian lives. It's such a shame that in 2013 we're still seeing your kind of belief OwlBot. And as for the rest of you who have chimed in: noticed at least one of you kept bemoaning conspiracy theories surrounding rebel use of chemical weapons in the face of so much evidence of the regime doing it...

Honestly, I read that as sarcasm. Maybe I'm too genuous :sigh:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Brown Moses posted:

I'm currently helping a journalist with some research on Caro, and digging through my old files I found this video of him in action in Libya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56aQGfulE30

Has anyone asked specifically about the SA poster-SA poster connection with him?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PleasingFungus posted:

instead of cheerleading one side or another, why not just... not intervene?

Aren't cheerleaders not intervening, by definition? What do you think that word means? :psyduck:

Nenonen posted:

Are you Caro?

That would be an impressive internet access over the last few years if he was :v:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Even if it's true that "we can be in Tehran within a month" because it would just be one giant all-out push, there is nothing to indicate that Tehran can be held or that taking other cities wouldn't also tax the US military far too thinly, or that the insurgency won't ultimately make things a far bigger mess than in Iraq. I think almost everyone who said "Tehran within a month" provided these caveats. I think everyone on this thread knows that any quick "victories" in Iran would be ephemeral "mission accomplished" bullshit while the real bloodletting will last for at least a decade.

Besides, everyone knows when you capture the Persian capital, they just designate the capital as a different city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

What the hell am I supposed to think? I dont give a poo poo about anybody involved, I am a little more sad about the previous group of arrests done a couple months ago because there were some decent, powerless people who had reformist mindsets, despite how naive they are.

here is a good article on what happened:-

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/05/what-happened-in-saudi-arabia-last-night-and-how-washington-corruption-enabled-it/

looks like the arrest against Walid Bin Talal was encouraged by everyone's favorite orange retard:-

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926793510723796993

Also, never ever assume automatically that saudi people generally support anything, the fact of the matter is that Saudi society is a completely servile and neutered population, they not only have a gun pointed at their head 24/7, and all of their interactions online are monitored, you also have the situation where arab media by and large has been the near total and exclusive domain of the royal family for decades, WE DONT HAVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF A CIVIL SOCIETY, so people have been so thoroughly propagandized, afraid, indoctrinated, etc. that the Idea that you're going to ever see anything other than praise and wonder and love for each and every thing that the powers that be does to them or gifts them is insane, people have been clamoring for change but what the government is doing is capitalizing on that desire to feed people a ton of different poisons that will gently caress us all over and that are just outright blatant free market scams that dont qualitatively improve the society. dont ever expect a public outcry from this completely destroyed and indoctrinated and reactionary situation at any point until the country collapses under its many failures, because people dont have a choice.

I dont know what's happening next, but one thing is for sure, this is a really dramatic and violent takeover of power and we are making this transition from what was generally a kind of laid back authoritarianism that wouldnt really come and get you unless you actually did something against the government, into a full scale egyptian style fist in your face police state, where there isnt even room to be SILENT on the things you disagree with and really a whipping up of false chauvanism and false patriotism mixed in with a full privatization of the country as a whole through the barrel of a gun, it's definitely a situation now that the government wont even tolerate the grumblings people would normally do in the privacy of their homes or on social media.

In terms of corruption, it's pretty clear that this is just going to be a change of who does the corruption rather than any qualitative difference. There's one thing for sure, is that the people who are going to be the power players next have sowed so many seeds, and have hosed up so much in the region, I am not quite sure even they know what the gently caress they're doing beyond reacting with no vision beyond that.

All we can do is wait and see.

Hey are you sure it's OK to write like this? Aren't you still living there?

Or do the monitors not care about English writing? I remember a blogger (writing in English) in Venezuela a year or two ago said that state intelligence monitoring didn't know/care about non-Spanish language posts, so he said he was safe.

• Locked thread