Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
SKY reports that one of the tunnels under the compound leads directly to the hotel. So the conjecture that the Colonel might head that direction wasn't misplaced.

Is there any news coming from the hotel? Is it still under government control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

Matthew Chance of CNN is reporting from there:

Human shields, in a last ditch effort to stop the rebel advance and get his rear end to safety?

Plausible and he's certainly crazy enough to try it.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

haha guy riding out of the compound on a Harley Davidson, this is the best war ever

And the guy who has a bunch of the Colonel's military golden swag and command hat!

It's just about nightfall. Going to be interesting to see if there is any push-back tonight and the situation at the hotel still being tense.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi's hat, chain, and gold thing.

loving love this guy.

Reporter: "Do you think there are people out there that supported the Gaddafi regime?"

Pimp Rebel: "Yeah, maybe 10, 15, or so people but they had something wrong with them and I know they'll shake our hand now"

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
With all of this going on, I've got to say that Libya looks like a pretty cool country overall and one that I'd like to visit one day, once all the smoke clears. The people are genuinely friendly and passionate, at least the ones I've seen interviewed, and they deserve a real future.

I'll add that to the bucket list, along with Egypt now.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Golbez posted:

Guys, that was no small earthquake, it was 5.8. Which for anywhere in the country outside the ring of fire is a big earthquake. I expect a new thread on that to pop up, and there'll probably be some damage.

I'm in Northeast Tennessee and I felt it, along with a few colleagues. Dispatch asked if it was construction as I walked into the building and there was none to be found. Sure enough, Earthquake - rare here!

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

farraday posted:

I kind of doubt the claims they were responsible for storming Tripoli with the rebels only following behind them.

They were probably one of the first ones into high value areas, however. You know that there's a lot of intelligence agencies that were chomping at the bit to get their hands on material and intelligence of the regime.

But yeah, they probably were mainly training and advising and letting the rebels do their thing for the most part. Might be why there wasn't a major battle at the compound and might be why there's no sign of the Colonel at this point, but less likely.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still really curious to see what they have managed to find in the compound and in the complex system of tunnels beneath it. Yesterday, they confirmed that one of the tunnels lead directly to the Rixos, so it's very possible that some high value targets may have headed there for the relative shelter of hiding behind reporters as human shields. Maybe not the Colonel himself, but someone like Saif, who seems to be the mouthpiece and the internationally connected one.

Right now there seems to be two points of interest, the hotel and the airport. If it heats up much more than it is now, I would not be surprised to see international special forces and operators on the ground to secure those two key points. Besides, if the regime manages to get in the air, it's going to be a very short flight one way or the other. That no fly zone is thick and they aren't going to escape that.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ I suspect that the regime put extreme loyalists in charge of the hotel for this very contingency. Even a conscript or regular Army guard can watch the news, especially with a hotel full of news people. I doubt they'd stay behind until things get sorted out.

Arkane posted:

Re-posting............from Wikipedia, current control of Tripoli (CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE):

Red rebels, tan disputed, green loyalist

Al Hahdba is the road going directly south from the Rixos. Al Khadra/Al Hahdba is the area directly below Second Circle Road, and right below the Rixos. Supposedly the fighting is intense and they are potentially guarding a high value target.

Has there been any indication of the situation in Sirte, Gadaffi's hometown? I know they (the city elders) were negotiating with the Rebels so they could enter the town peacefully, but I haven't seen anything since. It's possible the Colonel may head back to that area for a last stand.

Things are going to get pretty lovely at the Rixos I'm afraid. They've got human shields and hostages, so there's very little that the rebels can do about it. It'll certainly be a test of how committed the loyalists are to their cause.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

I'm starting to wonder if he is in Tripoli if he's hiding in the tunnels, and his military are protecting the entrances, as there's been no reports of the rebels being able to penetrate the tunnel system yet.

Or he's shacked up with Lizzie Phelan in the Rixos.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
NATO is increasingly concerned with the possibility of Gadaffi loyalists in the military around Sirte resorting to their stockpiles of chemical weapons. They know of some that exist in Sirte itself and just to the South of Sirte, but many of them remain unaccounted. Whether they are still in working condition is up for debate, but it's certainly not a risk that anyone wants to take.

This according to a SKY News reporter via the NATO command.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

They've been bombing stockpiles in the hope of destroying most of them, whether or not that worked is another question.

I'd wager that the the French COS, Commando-Marines, SAS, Qatari Special Forces, maybe the U.S. and others have boots on the ground or preparing to insert special ops to verify and secure those chemical weapons caches. The hostage situation at the Rixos and the security of WMD's are two areas they won't take any chances with, not even in Rebel hands.

*E* SKY is reporting that the spokesman for the Rebel operation around Tripoli has announced an offer of amnesty and reward for anyone who turns in Pro-Gadaffi regime members and a bounty on the head of the Colonel himself, dead or alive.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 24, 2011

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

brylcreem posted:

Yeah, you're both right.

Good news about the journalists being freed from Rixos! Hot/Crazy probably deleted her twitter and blog to avoid reporting on it. I can't imagine the mental gymnastics needed to justify allegedly peace-loving Libyans holding people hostage for six days.

My $10 bucks is on Lizzie coming back to the internet with a bizarre story about how U.S./NATO special forces forced her to delete her reporting, as she was the only one that was telling the TRUE AND HONEST version of the war and she was hurting their operations. The collapse of the regime will be placed upon US/NATO destroying her blogs, thereby the masses in Libya weren't able to rise up and re-install Gadaffi as the true and generous leader of the country.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
According to an injured reporter on SKY (he sounds French), there is still one last area of the Gadaffi Compound that the Rebels have not been able to secure and there are still pro-Gadaffi holding that area intensely.

Also he estimates around 160+ GRAD rockets that are around Tripoli held by Gadaffi forces, apparently to fire on the city if ordered. He observed some of them being set up when he was being treated by the Rebels near the front lines. I'd assume NATO would be targeting these if true?

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 24, 2011

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Besesoth posted:

Wait a minute.

I somehow hadn't realized that Lizzie Phelan was in the Rixos.

So all this time, when she's been claiming to have the "true story" of what's been going on in Tripoli, she can't possibly have personally known what was actually going on?

RIP, what was left of Lizzie Phelan's credibility.

e: vv I'm sure she did at some point. RT certainly seems to believe her wholesale.

RT is one of those places that make me question my own primarily leftist ideology from time to time. They put so much bullshit out that it's hard to take anything they say seriously, but unfortunately too many do.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scratch Monkey posted:

RT is not "leftist" unless your definition of leftist is "against whatever the US/Europe/NATO are doing."

Well no, they aren't leftist. The problem has become that they have become considered one of the beacons of journalism to many on the left and they buy into a lot of the bullshit that they sow.

Perhaps I phrased "questioning my own ideology" incorrectly. Not as much questioning my own ideology as I am the sanity of the some of the fucktards that are in my political/social sphere, especially on matters like this.

Sorry for the derail, just Lizzie and RT make my blood boil.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ThePutty posted:

I figured as much, but honestly, the only other thing I can see potentially working is some sort of deal like Saleh had and rejected. It's absolutely shocking and terrible that Assad would get away with so much death and destruction he's caused, but I don't see him ever facing justice or willingly stepping down with the current events happening.

It's a shame to see it happen. But I'm sure there are some forces behind the scenes that are trying to manipulate support within the military ranks in Syria. Whether or not it will be effective is another thing entirely.

I think the key to a lot of these Arab Spring uprisings is the either passive or active support of elements of the military. While the people rose up and acted, military forces either stood down or cast their lot with the rebels. When there is a rift within the ranks, it makes taking up arms against your people a lot more difficult.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Xandu posted:

IIRC, the US has most of the frozen money to begin with. I think the issue is that the previous UNSCR forbids such transfers of money, so they wanted a new one to allow it.

It sounds like the South Africans were the ones that held up the entire amount frozen being released. They opted to approve the $500 million (only to be used for humanitarian aid) and deny the $1 billion being released back to the people/provisional government. I believe the Security Council is going to take it up later in the week to get the rest of the funds released.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

The Guardian has just got loads of loopy Lizzie Phelan loving anti-war types, who constantly post rhetorical questions, and become furious if you try to debate them in anyway. They just post the same Russia Today and GlobalResearch.ca links, and seem unable to understand the difference between the media reporting something someone has said, and the media reporting something someone has said as if it was fact. I only bother to reply in an attempt to test my own knowledge and the veracity of the positions I have taken. And to piss them off.

That's been a very frustrating part of being on the political left in America since the Arab Spring started. Everyone is making GBS threads all over themselves in their inconsistency regarding human rights and the instances where intervention is necessary & warranted to actually preserve and uphold those same rights. And most of those touting the NATO success in Libya have no conceptual understanding of the situation other than "Must be good for Obama! gently caress the GOP Blow more poo poo up!" (On the other hand, those on the right mainly detract for the same reasoning)

That's why I really have a disdain for those that use RT as a source - they have the same credibility as Lizzie Phelan, but far stupider for falling for it.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 25, 2011

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ Nude pics of himself posing in front of a mirror in his Facebook folder.

Arkane posted:

Kinda makes sense now:

I'm not sure if that's entirely true, but it certainly makes sense. With the offer of amnesty and rewards out for the Gadaffi family and the players in the regime, I'd say a lot of his own people have either slipped away to sell their information or got killed by their own loyalists in the process of doing so. It's pretty clear to anyone with half a brain that Libya has fallen from Gadaffi's control and the ones left defending him will fight to the death if they are stupid enough to stick around.

And the gunfire that was reported at the hotel in the rooms by the reporter was most likely fired from a AA, based on the description. Probably one of those technicals we've seen mounted with them and they have been crazily firing them into the air (or on a slight elevation, which is even crazier) in celebration from the vids I've seen.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have the Sky News link that works for American's handy? I seem to have deleted it from my bookmarks and having difficulty locating it again.

*E* Much thanks, Rip Testes!

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rip Testes posted:

It just looks like utter chaos on the skynews feed.

That was a poo poo load of sniper fire being directed at those rebels on that street before the cameraman had to get to safety.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Stuart Ramsay has balls of pure titanium. You can hear bullets snapping and whizzing past him on the phone interview. Inbound fire from Gadaffi loyalists.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ahahahahaha. What with supporting Assad and almost taking a bribe from Qaddafi, Dennis Kucinich is going to be a punchline in next year's elections.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I liked Kucinich and I understand that he's pretty much opposed to everything militarily but he's really jumped the proverbial shark with these Middle Eastern uprisings. Hard to respect a guy who openly professes support for Assad and now with this little nugget.

*E* Well maybe not open support, but he's certainly not giving me any positive feedback as far as rejecting Assad.He was interviewed on CNN and he refused to condemn Assad and basically said he was "open to both sides of the story" in Syria.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 25, 2011

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AllanGordon posted:

The only real explanation I can think of for Kucinich's behavior is that he is as paranoid as his supporters and does not believe what the western media reports on the events in Libya/Syria.

Well our media does suck. That's why I've been watching coverage on BBC/SKY/Al-Jazeera and getting my news from this thread as well as a few reputable places on the net. He's right about not trusting the U.S. media, but he's dead wrong in thinking this is solely a Western power-grab. Plus, he never denied he said those things about Assad, he merely said he was "mistranslated" without ever coming out with what he actually said. Going there in the first place like he did was a recipe for a set-up even if he had the best intentions, yet he still went and stepped in several piles of poo poo while he was there and after he got back.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Arkane posted:

:nms:
http://english.aljazeera.net/video/africa/2011/08/201182694018420125.html
:nms:

Video of the "hospital" in Abu Salim, now the graveyard of dozens of dead civilians, some of which were apparently shot by Gaddafi loyalists. loving sickening.

That is an absolute nightmare and heartbreaking. It's ceased to function as a hospital and is more of a field morgue. Those two doctors and five technicians that have stood their ground there are real heroes in every sense of the word.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 26, 2011

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

VoilaIntruder posted:

Alot of those pictures are awesome, but this one is gold. Also I've been wondering, what is the car/truck vehicle I keep seeing the most? I want to say they look like Subaru Brats but I'm not totally sure, as most that I've seen in the past didn't have aircraft armaments and armor plates. I don't really get off on killing machines and the like, but many of the things they've come up with are amazing examples of ingenuity.

I've seen quite a few fairly nice Nissan Frontier's (not sure if they have the same name over there) being turned into technicals. There was one with a killdozer attachment and a massive FLAK cannon mounted to it.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Now Russia Today is part of the conspiracy!

Looking glass, people!

Poor Lizzie Phelan, she truly believed

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/one-day-later-anonymous-already-takes-down-3-824-pro-isis-twitter-accounts-496258.shtml

Anonymous is shutting down ISIS' Twitter accounts. It makes you wonder why it takes a massacre and an illegal hacking operation to take down terrorists' propaganda, when Twitter admins could do it routinely.

Intelligence agencies love the social media arms of these terrorist groups. It's a double-edged sword, you gain some information but you risk people taking the bait and buying the ISIS/etc. propaganda.

I'm sure there's some CIA/NSA/SIS people out there pissed about this, but practically gently caress-all they can do about it.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Probably not since if those ISIS accounts are already being constantly monitored by the CIA/NSA/SIS/FBI anyone that touches them is probably super easy to trace.

What are they going to do though? Bring someone up on charges for hacking a twitter of a terrorist or terrorist sympathizer?? I can't imagine the public anywhere would react very kindly to that, but who knows anymore.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AllanGordon posted:

They're not really hacking anything lol. They're just reporting the accounts to twitter.

Seriously? That's all?

There was an article this morning that presented it as "Anonymous gains control of 3,500+ ISIS twitter accounts", so I just thought it was some type of hacking/social engineering/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Chemistry seems like a weird thing to ban, what's "unislamic" about it?

Do their master bomb makers get a pass on this? I mean it's probably not too hard to follow some instructions in some jihadist handbook to make TATP and PETN, but to do it right without being blow up in the process would seem to be corollary to having a decent understanding of chemistry.

• Locked thread