Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Radio! posted:

Anyone else watch that interview with the UK advisor on Bahrain just now?

He was saying that the protesters are "malcontents" and a "vociferous minority" who want to change Bahrain away from being a tolerant nation and are basically ruining it for the rest of the Bahrainis.

Oh look, this could just as well be another message from the Obama administration. UK, US, same note to another different tune. Seriously, they were on the wrong side of history with Tunisia and Egypt and they're going to continue to be on the wrong side again their full continued support of dictators.

I simply can not wait for this to go full global scale and it topples the US regime as well. We're starting to see this already happening in Wisconsin, but just confined to that state for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

ChaosSamusX posted:

Are people really that oblivious to it in the US? I mean, here (in Canada) I've encountered people who are at least fairly knowledgable about it everywhere. And I don't mean just places like university; I also mean places like my parent's church or the thrift store I volunteer at on Saturdays (it's run by a sweet old conservative protestant family, and they all support the protesters).

But nobody at your workplace was aware of this?

There was a poll that just recently came out about what was going on in Egypt and the views relating to the unrest in the Middle East. 52% of Americans had no idea what was going on. And that's with it being the top weeknight broadcast news item for over a week.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Apology posted:

Preliminary reports that the people in Iraq are rising too:

So much for the $774,838,900,000 and counting money that the US spent establishing a puppet democracy there, eh? YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!!!

Nothing would please me more than the US getting it's rear end and it's army of installed dictators/puppet regimes handed to it by a bunch of angry youths on Facebook and Twitter.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

From CNN's Mideast blog:

This comes around the same time this morning that Clinton seemed to rule out direct military action in Libya. I would assume this repositioning and (presumably) heightened state of alert is just in case Ghaddafi decides to send Kamikazes against the Sixth Fleet, bombs Malta, or does something equally unlikely.

Oh great, looks like Obama is ready to start yet another illegal, non-sanctioned war. Moving your naval forces around to 'prepare for anything' could be interpreted as an act of hostility. The people of Libya have repeatedly asked that the US and Europe stay out of their fight but of course the Western powers are unable to help themselves when it comes to possibly bombing brown people. This is just going to invite trouble.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure the government is going to do something about it soon. Our economy is barely recovering and to not try to stop this would destroy whatever growth we have had.

Obama is looking to tap into the oil reserves should the price of oil go out of control, which it most certainly will happen at this point. Of course the American public at large will continue to have no clue on where the price of oil really comes from and will immediately blame the Democrats for the higher prices at the gas stations. If it was something as simple as "Drill Baby Drill!" then it would have been done already.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

It's really so much more than Peak Oil or a Supply and Demand issue though. There are so many factors that are working in such a way that are about to destroy our economy through oil prices.

Hell, I have a 84 mile daily commute....$5 gas prices are going to kill me

Of course it's much more than that, but try and explain it to your average American, and they'll easily throw the entire blame of high prices on the Federal Govt. and Obama cause he apparently likes to throw random taxes and price increases on everything.

$5 gas prices are going to kill a lot of people regardless if you drive 84 miles or 14 miles. Heck people just 2 years ago were already going to pawn shops selling whatever jewelry, other times they could find in order to pay their fuel costs. And it was already close to $3.50 a gallon.

NihilismNow posted:

What oil reserves could be tapped into that would have any effect? The strategic reserve? So what when that runs out in a few months?

Yes, the strategic reserves. It's actually quite possibly one of the worst ideas Obama has has since he is such a loving terrible president It won't actually solve any of the problems since high-priced oil will essentially be permanent and our reserves will be that much lower. This country has a severe addition to oil and if it's sightly interrupted then this economy will be in even worse shape than in 2008 and will likely cause a massive depression.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

VVVVV-It's a tad insensitive to say how marginally higher gas prices are going to "kill" people in a thread discussing people who are literally dying for their freedom.

I'm not the one that said gas prices are going to kill me. I did use it to make a point on how it'll effect a lot of people as a response.

The Angry Bum fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 7, 2011

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

cioxx posted:

I'm sorry, but the far-left in America should never again attempt to speak about foreign affairs. Most of these people are just as bad as teabaggers.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/dennis-kucinich-calls-says-libya-attack-an-impeachable-offense-for-obama.php

Kucinich is 100% right in this case. He will be a national hero if he introduces it to the House chambers.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Democrazy posted:

Kucinich is A 100% posturing. The War Powers Resolution states that a president must get Congressional approval within 60 days, which leaves 58 days for the President to get approval.

EDIT: For accuracy.

The War Powers act itself is unconstitutional and the Supreme Court needs to abolish it NOW. And Obama himself specifically said he would NEVER use the act to commit to a military operation that was not any threat to the United States. He broke his own promise, and his words are as useless as Qaddafi's. Obama is currently breaking the law and the US Constitution and should pay for it with his job IMMEDIATELY.

Pew poll over the weekend said nearly 80% of Americans STRICTLY OPPOSE Obama sending in any part of our military to Libya. It was also a perfect trap set up by the Republicans. Call Obama out every day there is no immediate no-fly zone in effect and claim he is for genocide, then when the no-fly gets enforced, trash him for not following proper war time procedure, being slow and bill it as a huge colossal waste of taxpayer money. He loses either way, and the public is completely against him on this. Anti-war protests have been running since Friday and a major rally is being planned for later in the week in DC.

Also loving the Arab League ready to pull the 180 and bail out on this. Just to show how much of this war is complete Western farce.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Pedrophile posted:

Source please?

ibroxmassive posted:

So your argument is that the Republicans are using the civilian massacre in a petty point-scoring competition and that this is a 'perfect' situation and that a power used by them without question in the Iraq and Afghani Wars is now unconstitutional and wrong?

And what poll? Who was polled? What questions were asked?

http://people-press.org/report/715/

Take note of the results on the right that say "Public Split over No-Fly Zone". 77% oppose the bombing of Libyan defenses, 82% oppose sending in ground troops. 63% against the US having ANY involvement.

edit: I was completely against the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq when they were unfolding. The powers they used during the Bush admin were unconstitutional as well. Just because other people got away with it in the past doesn't mean we have to continue ignoring the blatant disrespect to our own laws, like Obama has done since DAY 1.

The Angry Bum fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 21, 2011

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

44% in support of a NFZ, 45% against
16% in support of bombing air defences, 77% against.

Tells me that the people polled were generally uninformed as to what a NFZ actually entailed.

A lot of people across many nations weren't really sure what the NFZ actually meant. And that was even after Admiral Mike Mullen went in front of Congress to explain that coordinated strikes against Libyan defenses were going to be a part of it. Either no one listened to that, were paying any attention, or just brushed it off thinking the no-fly was going to be fighter jets patrolling the country.

DaveWoo posted:

On the other hand, a new CNN poll says that 70% of Americans support the no-fly zone.

A lot of Americans just like watching war.

The Angry Bum fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 21, 2011

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

breaklaw posted:

How many billions? I thought we just moved subs and carriers that were not that far away already (Bahrain 5th Fleet) and let a couple hundred missiles fly? This poo poo happen way too fast for it to be that expensive.

A billion dollars on equipment and man-power was spent in the first 2 days alone. War is an expensive game. But of course teachers making $40,000 a year are the REAL threats to a debt-free America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Volkerball posted:

He's been calling for it for a while now. Keep in mind that right after the Benghazi incident, when everyone was making GBS threads on Libya and Obama for letting terrorists exist, McCain went on television and said that Libya had a free election and elected moderates as a result of the war. Called them our friends and said it was ridiculous to portray them as an enemy to the U.S. He caught a lot of flak for that. He's a bit eager to go into other places at times when it would end in a disaster, but I think he genuinely feels for people stuck in conflicts like this. His opinion coming out might be poo poo, but at least he's the kind of conservative who actually wants to know what is going on and how to help instead of just defaulting to the anti-democrat position without really caring.

US Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham have consistently said that the US military needs to be involved more in these conflicts, even if there is zero reason for them to be there. They had plenty to say criticizing Obama's 'Lead from Behind' role for months during the NATO mission over Libya. Really anything less than Obama sending actual troops to the area, he won't be 'doing enough' in McCain's eyes.

• Locked thread