Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm sitting here in my comfortable white middle class American ivory tower wishing my Middle Eastern friends a peaceful resolution and the rights that I take for granted that they too deserve.

Assalamu Alaykum, as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
This sounds like the death rattle of a regime way way past it's prime. I'm so excited for the people of Libya :) the will get the freedom they so badly deserve, hopefully sooner rather than later.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
http://www.libyafeb17.com/ says that people were getting shot during the speech, twitter reports snipers in Tripoli and that mercenaries have started attacking people in their homes :(

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Paradox Personified posted:

Israel

Oh god please don't let this be true. It's going to be an absolute international poo poo storm if this is the case. Holy gently caress please no.

I've only seen one source saying it was F-16s not MIGs bombing Tripoli and it was from twitter so. Oh man.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Yeah sorry goons, my knee jerk reaction. I could just see this becoming badworse quick. I'm sorry :11tea:

VV If you can't see that happening what's wrong with you?

ShortStack fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 21, 2011

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Probably because nobody would believe them except reactionist Americans :shobon:

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Gaddafi needs to fix the drop ceiling in his secret bunker.

Live on AJE right now: http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Oh, America and Britain bombed his house, that's why it's hosed up.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

pincky posted:

As to his location

Okay, that makes more sense now. Still a nutbag though!

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm pretending that he's reading the Libyan people Green Eggs 'n Ham :)

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Jamsque posted:

Three million died in Baghdad? Listen I am no fan of the war on terror but I think your numbers are a bit off there CQ.

Is anyone running a clock on this? He's been going for at least a quarter of an hour now.

He's pushing 40 minutes now.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
"You wackos, I didn't set fire to a police station!" - Muammar Gaddafi 2011

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
It's pretty surreal watching these BBC talking heads with Gaddafi's corpse-like visage continuing his rambling behind them.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Did his speech actually end or did AJE just throw in the towel?

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
That must be what Gaddafi was reading earlier.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
"A monkey could do a better job than this guy!" - unidentified Libyan businessman when asked who is around to run the country after Gaddafi is gone. From NPR just now.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Brown Moses posted:

By the time the international community decides on what to do it'll be all over by the sounds of it.

Oh yeah, they should have done something about it a week ago. The world will be remembered for their strong words while Libya burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

I'm not feeling too caught up in the issue of what the rest of the world should do, other than try to head off a humanitarian crisis. It is not up to the "international community" to affect the ongoing clashes decisively, as long as the anti-Gaddafi forces don't dilly-dally—and it appears they understand that. I think how events have panned out since Tunisia first flared up should give us a hint that the world is no longer in our hands so much. That was a major purpose for their taking place, after all.

Anyway, if any outside country got too heavily involved, it could jeopardize the safety of their citizens in Libya.

My problem with the reaction of the international community is that it's just been vague empty words. It's just "strong words" or "we reject the violence used in Libya" instead of "Gaddafi has proven himself unfit to lead and must step down and face his punishment" because everyone is so loving scared that if they did that and the protesters fail (they won't) they'll lose out on all their precious Libyan oil that they're so dependent on.

• Locked thread