Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

My 7 week old baby has started playing with a spinning thing on her baby gym. Well, I say play, she'll hit it and make it spin, look at it with fascination and hit it again and again and again, getting more and more agitated until she's screaming furiously at it and I have to move her away so she'll calm down.
What the hell? Of course I realise that this is just another one of those weird things babies do, but does anyone know what this particular weird thing is all about?

My son did something similar. He'd kick at the toys hanging down from his baby gym until he apparently got tired, but didn't understand why he was feeling uncomfortable, so he just kept going and going, getting angrier and angrier. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
We had names picked out for both kids before they were born. We definitely spent many weeks considering different names. I think around week 30-something we were decided.

With our son, we thought of the name because we know someone with the same name and for some reason we were talking about him and one of us went wait a minute! How about that name? And it didn't click immediately, but it grew on us a lot. Now I couldn't be happier with it, I love his name and it suits him :)

With our daughter, we had trouble finding a name, so my husband decided to go through the alphabet and try to think of at least one name we liked for every letter. When we reached F, he suddenly said OMG how did we never think of Frøydis?? He was decided then and there, I took a while longer, but she ended up a Frøydis and I think it suits her. Of course, it's an old lady name but I like that.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Hahahaha asking permission to breastfeed. Yeah no.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

DwemerCog posted:

I was trying to encourage someone who seemed to be reluctant to go out due to thinking you needed to get the baby to take a bottle, and I was saying there's no need to do so because you could breastfeed in public. No need to take it the wrong way.

It is true that in most places you don't need to ask. So far I have anyway. I will refrain from now on if this is the wrong thing to do.

If you were talking to Sockmuppet, she meant she wanted to have the baby take a bottle because she wants to leave her for a couple of hours with a sitter, not because she didn't know it's possible to breastfeed in a restaurant.

I realize you couldn't know, but Sockmuppet, like me, is from Norway and no one would ever think of asking permission to breastfeed here.

edit: I didn't mean to be crass DwemerDog! :)

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 27, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I take being able to nurse in public for granted, but I would feel really upset and uncomfortable if someone asked me to stop or to cover up, because I have a big problem being confrontational with anyone. So I understand being apprehensive about it! It's not a situation I've ever been in or even thought about being in until I started reading this thread, but I see how that would suck.

Edit: agree with hookerbot, I was trying to say something similar.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Yeah I don't think there's any "in your face" about feeding a baby.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Seven for a Secret posted:

I had no idea the Chicco KeyFit was so popular! That's what I have, too (the KeyFit 30), and I'm very happy with it. Super easy to snap into and out of the car and the stroller base. It does annoy my husband that the only way to put the baby in involves laying her on top of the straps, then pulling them out and adjusting them.

I tried pumping for the first time today. After twenty minutes I had two ounces, which my one-month-old snorfled up in five minutes. It made no dent in her hunger whatsoever and she's been nursing almost continuously for the four hours since. I was hoping pumping would free me up to leave the house without her occasionally, but those numbers are not adding up. Is this likely to improve soon?

The baby is more efficient at getting milk out than a pump. Also some women respond better to pumping than others. With my first kid I pumped for donating milk. At first I didn't get much, but I kept doing it at the same time every night (in the evening after he went to bed, because he usually slept for a longish stretch then). After a week the pumping output had increased A LOT.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Mine did that this morning! It was the cutest thing I've seen since I put her in her little bear suit and just about fell over with the wibbles :3:

(it has a taaaail! and little eeeears! we bought three...)

That reminded me of the bear suit we had for my son when he was a tiny baby :3:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Soulex posted:

Its a benzo with sleep inducing qualities but its not a full blown sleep aid.

I have to take Ativan :(. Many times daily.

Wife just got the first official check done. 5 weeks along and its great. Im still in awe that its actually happening.

She wanted me to ask if bleeding a tiny bit is normal. Like a drop or so

Yeah, the cervix is extra sensitive and bleeds easily. I bled a tiny bit after sex. If it bleeds more, it's a good idea to call your doctor or midwife.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

ghost story posted:

I can't imagine walking a 5k at 8 months. Being awake was exhausting, not to mention uncomfortable. Have you run this by your OB? I would think it should be fine as long as you have plenty of water (and depending on how you carry, plenty of bathroom stops).

Meh, I don't think walking 5k is a big deal at all. She can just stop if it's getting too much.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Congratulations! Glad they are doing well :3

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Congratulations!! What a scary experience, so glad everything went OK in the end :3: :3:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Alterian posted:

I don't even know if your wife would be allowed to leave if she was going to leave really close to her due date. I think doctors look down on you flying once you hit about 8 months pregnant, or did you mean leave your wife there and come back early to the US by yourself?

Not only doctors, most airlines doesn't allow you to fly in late pregnancy either. I know this because when I was pregnant with our first, we were invited to a wedding on the other side of the country when I was 8 months along so I couldn't go. I was so happy because I hate weddings ;p my poor husband went alone, hahaha.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Man, I'm (un?)lucky enough that my midwives don't even check for dilation unless they feel something's wrong. I'm so low-risk that they don't even worry about it. I'm due in 3 weeks and just last week was able to tell what a Braxton Hicks felt like! She's also dropped, so now I get to finish my last week of work next week and just sit around waiting for something to happen.

There's no point checking for dilation unless there's a problem. They told me they won't stick fingers in there for no reason because there's always a (albeit small) risk of infection. With my first I wasn't checked until I was in active labor, with my second I was checked the same day because I was almost two weeks overdue and they were considering induction.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
They told me rule of thumb was to go in when the contractions were lasting around one minute each and "hurt A LOT" (with emphasis on A LOT, haha.

Edit: Soulex, the nausea most often passes after the first trimester. It can help to snack during the day so her blood suger won't drop. Salty things, ginger, sour things are all stuff different women find help their nausea. For me it was sour things. I kept lemon juice at my desk at work.

Are you sure she can't have fish at all? They told me to avoid like shark and swordfish and not completely overdo it on fatty fish, but that normal amounts of fish were fine.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 20, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
For those of you that aren't aware: There's a facebook group that sprung out of this thread and the parenting thread. The group is pretty active. HOWEVER after Facebook implemented the "suggested groups" feature, we've been swamped with spam accounts requesting to join, as well as clueless people who have no idea what Something Awful is ;) We made the group secret, but we still want goons to be able to find it! So we made this group that is easily findable. So if anyone wants in, just join that one, and we'll add you to the real group. Didn't want it to be so drat convoluted, but Facebook is ridiculous sometimes.

Here's a picture of my daughter photobombing my son:

EDIT: You can also post your email-address here or pm it to me, and we'll add you directly! Thanks!

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

apathetic JAP posted:

So jealous. 36+3 and nothing. Still high and closed :(

Why even have them check dilation at that point? Seems like it would only be discouraging. You are still most likely a whole MONTH away from giving birth, sorry bro.