Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^^ I also got the electrodes on both of my kids for monitoring due to fluctuations in rates. A c-section was mention briefly with my daughter (due to a cyst I had, nothing to do with the birth) and not at all with my son. Mine mentioned the heart rate thing was probably the contractions and my uterus squeezing my daughter. Which makes sense. I guess she was squeezed so hard she pooped :haw:

iwik posted:

I had to have an emergency c-section when I got induced for being past the 41 week mark.

I'm glad you brought this up. This is another good point - you don't have to be induced if you're past your due date. Unless you're having medical complications it's not necessary. That's another thing OBs push on women. I know many women who have gone 1-2 weeks past their due dates (some slightly longer). Again, I think we're just super overly cautious here in the US (and probably other countries like Canada and AU) for liability reasons.

I'm using "you" as a general term, fyi. Not directing the comment towards iwik. :)

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

An Cat Dubh posted:

Hookerbot, thinking good thoughts for you and your little girl.

I had my son a week ago today via c section and still have massive swelling in my lower legs, ankles and feet. I didn't have any swelling during pregnancy but I must be making up for it now. I'm wearing tent hose during the day and trying to keep my legs elevated as much as possible. My lower legs are so heavy I have to lift them by hand to get into bed. Any idea how long this will last?

Definitely call your OB.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

An Cat Dubh posted:

The swelling is so much better today and almost all gone. Looks like my little guy has blocked tear ducts in both eyes. Anyone else have experience with this?

Yes. Squirt some breastmilk in there or on your finger tip and gently drop and massage it in. It sounds silly, but it actually works. If not that try gently massaging with a warm baby wash cloth.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Carters-Recalls-Infant-Clothing-with-Zippers/

Recall of certain Carter's onesies with zippers.

quote:

Recall Details

Units

About 218,000
Description

This recall involves eight styles of one-piece, footed cotton clothing for infants made by Carter’s. They have a zipper from the foot to the neck and were sold in sizes newborn, 3, 6 and 9 months. Baby B’gosh®, Child of Mine® made by Carter’s or Just One You® made by Carter’s is printed on the fabric inside the neck area. The style number is printed on a side seam label.

Brand Style Number Description
Baby B’gosh 414-208 Yellow with white quarter moons and gray and white stars print.

Child of Mine 715-839 Baseball-style, white with blue stripes, yellow accents and “Little Brother” printed on the chest.

Just One You 520-242 White background with navy stripes and green neck binding. Sold as a 2-pack with:

597B537 Light blue with a nautical and green crabs print and “Captain Cutie” on the left chest.

520-243 White with a pink cupcake print. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B538 Pink with small polka dots and a bunny ballerina on the left chest.

520-244 White with green stripes and an elephant and duck on the left chest. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B539 White with a gray elephant, gray bear, green frog and yellow duck print.

Incidents/Injuries

None reported
Remedy

Consumers should immediately take the recalled clothing away from infants and return it to Carter’s for a full refund.
Sold at

OshKosh B’gosh, Walmart and Target nationwide from December 2012 through January 2013 for between $7 and $20. Baby B’gosh sleepwear was also sold online at https://www.oshkoshbgosh.com.

cross posted to parenting thread.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Tips for teething? We got Collin one of those razberry teethers but its too big for him. He's drooling a ton, plus myself, my siblings, my fiancé, and his siblings all teether at 2/3 months, so I'm sure that's what it is. I also got the watermelon freezer thing but he can't really hold anything well yet.

By the way, he turned 2 months on Monday and is massive! Next appointment is the 26th, and I'm sure hell be double his birth weight.

Oh, on the carrier talk- the one I was given is an older model ergo, and therefor does not have the snap at the top. Any suggestions of where I could get a snap close thing to use instead? They don't sell the replacements anymore. :(

Keep in mind that at around 3 months babies' salivary glands start developing full force so they become more drooly and constantly shove fists into their mouths. I was an early teether and both kids showed signs of it, but my son just got his first tooth to come through last week (at 8.5 months) and my daughter didn't get her first teeth until after a year.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Superdawg posted:

We were looking at this one (http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Ready2G...double+stroller), but people complained that it's not comfortable to push because of the foot rest for the back child (and it has the older kid in the back)

I have this stroller and absolutely love it. I love all the options. It controls well and I haven't noticed any issues pushing it with that foot rest. The only issue with the foot rest is that the brake is right in the middle of it and sometimes my daughter kicks at it, but she's not heavy enough to engage it. I also read that people have issues with their kids being too big for the front seat, but my daughter is tall and 40lbs and she fits in it comfortably. For the price I think it's the best double stroller option avail, personally. I found it on Target's site on sale for $141 with free shipping.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anything in particular we should consider? :ohdear:

More specific? Baby gear, clothes, type of prenatal care, what?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was thinking like maybe there's anything in particular that differs for a woman pregnant with twins, so yeah any possible pre-natal/birth issues?

Well, since you don't live in the states I'm not sure what the protocol is there for twins, but here twins are usually induced around 37 weeks and a lot of the time end up via c-section. As far as prenatal care goes you'll likely require more visits and more monitoring, but if your GF is healthy and not high risk (those factors will be determined by your midwife/obgyn) then there's really not a whole lot of differences.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

New Weave Wendy posted:

Every time I read about having babies in a different country than USA it bums me out. I already thought the federally mandated paid leaves were beyond awesome, but geez now I learn you guys get free baby crap too? Not fair!!

To be fair we get this in the form of baby showers and you also get free poo poo from hospitals.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I have hazel eyes and my husband has Olive green eyes. Our daughter has ice blue eyes. Eye stuff is super cool.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Also chiming in to say that with my first I had my membranes stripped in the am of the 24th of August and had her at 7pm the 26th. When I had them stripped I had already lost my mucus plug and was 3cm dilated.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I had my baby shower around 36 weeks.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

(I'd love to share a pic of Ben but I don't know if that's frowned upon.)

Nope, only pictures of everyone elses' babies are allowed. ;)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Greycious posted:

I do have some breastfeeding questions. Baby is 2 weeks and a few days, I'm producing a good amount of milk and baby is good at latching and nursing for the most part, but my nipples still kill when he first latches (at one point last night I was crying/whimpering while nursing it hurt so bad) and my breasts between feedings sometimes get really sore and achy/painful, but are soft and not engorged. I'm concerned about thrush even though my Dr said I had no signs of it, because things online seem to say pain can be the only sign...and I was on antibiotics for suspected early signs of mastitis.

Does it really sound like thrush? There are no weird signs on my nipples or inside baby's mouth. Or is this just normal breastfeeding pain? I'm seriously getting so worn out from the pain of feeding him 4 hours a day. (According to my feeding tracker app on my phone he spends an average of 4 hours a day stuck to my nipples. :emo:)

Have you had your son looked at for tongue/upper lip tie? It's commonly missed by pediatricians. You can have an LC take a look.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

travelsized posted:

Last week I was all worried about going late like most first time moms, and now I'm all worried about going to early. Blegh.

First off, relax :) Second, I wouldn't worry too much about the early contractions unless you notice them getting more painful. With my second I was in the hospital for monitoring on 3 separate occasions with preterm labor issues - starting at 32 weeks. I'm one of those people who never felt contractions all that well so I was super paranoid. Each time I was given something to stop the contractions. Also told ot take it easy but that was difficult with a 2 1/2 year old running around. I was also told my baby was around 6lbs at about 34 weeks. My son was born just shy of 38 weeks and was 7lbs 12oz.

All anecdotal but hopefully it'll help!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Molly Bloom posted:

I come with nothing but questions- how swollen is too swollen for one's feet? My feet are quite puffy, but it's coincided with three days of 95 degree (35C) weather, walking several miles each day and standing around for a few half-hour stretches. My hands are also swollen, enough so that I've taken off my wedding ring.

How far along are you? I would say walking several miles each day in 95 degree weather is not ideal. Unless this is a one off thing. I wouldn't really make a habit of it. I'd talk to your OB and possibly go in for a checkup if it's alarming to you.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DwemerCog posted:

I wrote a birth plan, it didn't even get read, because events took their own course. So just fill in the things you feel strongly about.

This is really good advice. Very rarely do things go the way you want them to go when it comes to birth. However, you (and your partner especially) need to be your strongest advocates to get what you DO want. Even if you don't have a partner get someone to be there for you. Best friend, sister, father, cousin, whoever.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gothmog1065 posted:

So I think we're pregnant. Got a faint line on her EPT test. My question, should we just go straight to an OB GYN or should we visit our regular doctor and do the OB from there? We haven't gotten a doctor confirmation yet, that's the next step I suppose.

I called my family doctor first, they sent me in to get blood work done to make sure HCG levels were rising properly and then from that point my family doctor gave me a referral to an OB.

Molly Bloom posted:

Well, low-carbing it (less than 60g a day) has done nothing. My fasting blood sugar was the highest I've tested yet. One hour was bad. Two hours was even higher than one hour. I suppose Doc'll tell me what's what on Tuesday.

My OB actually set me up with an appointment with a dietician and that helped out tremendously. There are tons of fruits out there that have a lot of carbs. Basically there are things you never think about with carbs, but should know about and a dietician will help you in that department (as well as others).

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

If it's any consolation I didn't have morning sickness with either pregnancy. I'd have waves of nausea but that was more due to lack of appetite more than anything else.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

Having a baby has really made me wonder how the hell humans survived before modern times.

They didn't for very long :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I have reared two children now - both the same way. My daughter was a very chill baby and didn't require a lot of hands on time. My son is extremely high strung and from birth has been very high needs as far as attention goes - almost constantly needing to be held. It's a personality thing more than it's a "omg if you hold them too much you're spoiling them" thing. My grandmother was constantly telling me that I was spoiling my son by "holding him too much". I just politely inform her that he's a different baby than my daughter was.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

and while I can take up to 12 weeks maternity leave, I'd rather take just six.

Unless it's for financial reasons, I'd highly recommend taking all 12 weeks if you can. So many things can arise when you're a new parent and it's nice to not have to stress about work stuff earlier than necessary.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Kal Torak posted:

My wife and I are currently trying for our first child. She has now had two miscarriages. The first one occurred pretty early, around 6 weeks or so. This last one was at about 10 weeks just a few days after having our first ultrasound. My wife also had a lot of bloodwork done as well as a full physical during the second pregnancy. All results came back normal.

My wife is in great health but is 38 years old. So perhaps that is a problem...?

She has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. What kind of things should we be asking the Doctor here? A third miscarriage is going to send my wife's stress level through the roof.

Does she have a thyroid condition? That can lead to a higher instance of miscarriages.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We also alternate between Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

I just googled "crying it out" and this was the second result.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crying+it+out&aq=f&oq=crying+it+out&aqs=chrome.0.57j5j0l2j62l2.1762j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

there's also research out there saying that "crying it out" is "what's best for parents".

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DwemerCog posted:

Oh are you? My husband does this all the time with our baby (please don't tell me I am a monster, I will tell him not to from now on.)

I really don't know where you are supposed to find all this stuff out from, I read all the books on babies and all the forums and went to parenting classes, and still there are so many Thou Must Nots that I have never heard of.

How about two bottles, one to hold the milk (and keep in the fridge) and one to feed from? I guess the sitter would need to rinse the feeding bottle after every feed if bacteria are a big worry.

Depends on if it's formula or breast milk. Formula it says on the container to discard at room temp after 2 hours and at one hour if it's been drank from - however we usually let it go for up to 2 hours with no problems. Breast milk is a lot more lenient, I believe. At least, we were a lot more lax on it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-10...ve+nipple+cream This stuff is amazing. Not clumpy or annoying to apply and get off your fingers like lanolin cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

uh, I think that's been gone for years.