Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spikes32 posted:

Or maybe San Jose California. I'm rooting for remote / San Jose but trying to do my homework.

If you end up landing in the Bay Area, look into Genentech, we could use more goons. And working here does not suck. We've got something like 800 PathLIMS users, and anyone who wants to write their own ticket for lab automation should be looking in our direction. The new head of research and early development is big on computational biology, so R and Python are both in demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Out of professional curiosity, how much effort are Genentech putting into using machine leaning/AI for drug discovery?

We're setting up lots of HPC resources for ML/AI projects. All forms of Computational Biology projects are GO.

e.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Ok obviously Sundae has been replaced by a robot

Nahhh,

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

It probably depends heavily on your department and whether Roche has oversight of you or not, but I can definitely say that Genentech is the best place I've ever worked. Every job sucks compared to whatever else we'd enjoy doing with our time otherwise of course, but I would legit call this a good job.

A lot of places will have managers ask you where you want to be in five years. Genentech is a unicorn in that they follow that up with helping you develop a plan to get there within the larger organization, develop the skills you want to learn, and position yourself as someone a manager from another division might come and poach to their team. We have HR systems built to facilitate this. If I remember correctly, yesterday's all-hands department meeting had 2 15 year, and a 20 year anniversary announced. I've seen 2 or 3 30s in the last 18 months.

When I first started it was kind of creepy. Everyone was super nice., like "is this a cult ?" nice. After about 6 months I realized that Recruiting was aggressively screening toxic people out at the interview stage. It's working, corporate culture is, by and large, the healthiest I've ever even heard of.

We also spend money on basic science. people work on new techniques. People work on old diseases. We've done studies recently on such old favorites as cholera. Imagine ending cholera's reign as a top killer. We do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

This part isn't something my group has (I mean, apart from the fact that we're a brand-new group and all new hires in the last 6 years). About 70% of my group is made of contractors on 3-yr terms that I'm not usually allowed to renew. (HR says "you can renew critical contractors for one term" but then when you try, they say "if they were critical, they wouldn't be a contractor.) It's a constant source of conflict between me and my upper management, because I can't run an efficient manufacturing operation when I have to replace the operators every time they finally reach full proficiency in the operations.

Good point. Contractors are very much second-class citizens in many ways. The shipping & receiving folks for example are on an 18-month turnover contract. Which should explain a lot. The state labor board just wants someone who looks, acts, and quacks like an employee to have someone paying payroll tax for them.

In IT we have an MSP under contract for all of hardware lifecycle for desktops and laptops: initial deployment, repair, and retirement. They've got a lot of people with years of experience because the individuals in that org are FTEs of the MSP, so term limits do not apply. There's an opportunity here to organize a worker's coop that will employ the manufacturing contractors and deal with GNE collectively to get around your issues with HR. You'd get to keep your experienced people. The contractors would become FTEs of their org. Gnenetech might even save money over 1099 rates or whatever the umbrella contracting agency charges.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

Edit: They got around this by not doing a Q&A at the end. :(

Smart of them.

Research has some of those in, I think, South Campus. I can't tell you compliance rates. I don't think anyone wants to swab them and find out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Instrument software across the board is garbage from an end user perspective. I think agilents ICP expert is probably the best I've used and I give it a "just ok."

The Venn diagram of people well-versed in Windows software development best practices, and those who know what a mass spectrometer even loving is looks like a diagram of the earth and the moon.

Velius posted:

I like Thermo software a lot more than Waters. The old stuff from Thermo (xcalibur and associates) were awful, and tracefinder is buggy and irritating when errors happen, but when it works it’s solid.

Both vendors are annoying as hell during setup for a new instrument. Waters techs are probably less competent, but Thermo's people are more stubborn. Both are apparently trained to treat antivirus software as the cause of literally everything wrong. I had a Waters tech swear herself blue for a week that SEP was breaking the Oracle database . A week during which SEP wasn't installed - ODBC was configured wrong, by the tech. Another one, just last week, refused to continue setup because she couldn't perform the step where she grants her apps access through the Windows Defender firewall - it was TURNED OFF. They ended up botching driver install so bad we had to re-image the machine. And these were the techs that showed up for their appointments.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I would love to get these rickety instruments off the network. Lab managers love being able to remote into machines (especially since Covid hit) and put data on file shares.

I lose.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

street doc posted:

Needs to be a way to keep the instrument PC off the network, but with a second networked PC that can be control/Waldo remote into it. Only mouse/keyboard in, only data/screen out.

I've got a meeting on Monday about that !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

Check out Viaflow Integras, or get an Andrew+ and drive your whole workflow with Onelab.

https://www.andrewalliance.com/pipetting-robot/

Andrew+ is good stuff, although I had to train a couple of my team up on Linux support to end a 6 month struggle to get the thing set up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

The analytical lab I inherited a decade ago was using old waters hplcs

Your poor bastard. Waters software isn't good now, let alone the appalling older stuff.

There really isn't a lot of overlap between people who are well-versed in Windows software development best practices and people who know what an HPLC even is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

The CTH room at my old job was too isolated to hear announcements or alarms clearly so it was generally a good idea to not be in the building when someone started a fire.

If you hear a loud noise and profanity, run. Worked for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

In the Summer of 2019 we were standing up a new drug manufacturing line. The FDA sent 5 auditors out to spend a week inspecting it.

Zero
Written
Defects

Some companies consider regulations as a restriction, we consider them a challenge.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

In fairness, we've gone and poo poo ourselves a few times since then.

I just hope none of that poo poo sticks to you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

We have a system that runs windows nt and has a y2k safe sticker on it. It's a system dedicated to one sample type we see a set once a month for.

Our info security's favorite move is to push patches that disable software not installed by it. Or that one time they crippled our lab by disabling USB ports for all devices except stuff like keyboards/mice without telling us.

NT would win the WTF award in my shop, by a good margin. The oldest system we found in our last lab sweep was Win2K.

My ongoing nightmare is someone in security suddenly enforcing AppLocker GPOs. Our Research and GXP OUs have Inheritance disabled, but they could still manage to break manufacturing, QC, and Research globally.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shrieking Muppet posted:

poo poo like this is why my last employer banned IT from our lab systems

We do that too. I manage patching for lab systems at my site and support it for the rest of ours. It turns out people get very upset when you push a mandatory reboot to a machine that's taking a month to process $100,000 worth of samples.

My biggest nightmare is some clicking "Enforce" on the AppLocker policy and shutting down Manufacturing globally. I'll add the USB thing to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Probably not as bad as benchling though.
One of my favorite things on LinkedIn is to see who got kicked from Benchling. They seem to have a rather large turnover of people since I get contacted by a new person at every point.

I helped set up our Benchling PoC. The senior scientist I was working with got laid off last week. Funny.